Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭letowski

Foxtrol wrote: »
    49ers look to be the front runners if they want Stafford and any auction doesn't get too rich. Practically all the teams before and around them in the draft are either set for QB, will be in the position to draft one of the top rookie QBs in the draft, or likely wouldn't be seen as contenders enough for Stafford to want to join (from all reports it seems the Lions are going to do right by Stafford).

49ers would actually save $4m bringing in Stafford and trading or cutting Garoppolo, so it would put them in an even better position to keep the likes of Williams - that is even before any additional contract massaging they could do with Stafford once he arrives.

I've seen the Colts mentioned a few times but though they have a lot of cap space their draft capital is comparatively pretty weak. For example, the 49ers #12 draft pick is worth around the same as the Colts 1st and 2nd round picks combined.

As a 9ers fan I'm hoping they end up getting Stafford and I'd be ok with giving up the #12 pick and potentially a later pick (or Jimmy) for him as I think he'll be a revelation in the Shanahan offense, vying against the Chiefs for the best in the league. Having said that I'm pretty happy with the position the team is in heading into the offseason. Worst case scenario we end up sticking with a QB that led us to the Super Bowl on an average non-rookie starter price and add one of the top talents in the draft, that should fall due to the run on young QBs.

I didn't realize just looking at Garrapolo's contract, he has so little guaranteed money. It was a good structured front-loaded contract, that would give the 9ers the option to cut him if they were to acquire Stafford.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

letowski wrote: »
    I didn't realize just looking at Garrapolo's contract, he has so little guaranteed money. It was a good structured front-loaded contract, that would give the 9ers the option to cut him if they were to acquire Stafford.

Our contract guy is great most of the time, generally it means they're structure players play well they'll get even above market rate but if they don't we can get out of it.

The team made a mess of last offseason on which guys they restructured and turned money guaranteed so they're a bit more stuck on a few guys who'd they'd like to escape from now. It was telling that even after they checked out Brady last season and they decided to stick with Jimmy he wasn't one of those they restructured.

I still think they wouldn't have to cut Garoppolo though, as with the amount of QB needy teams he has mid-round trade value. There are rumours he might have a no trade clause in 2021 but I'd say he'd accept a trade to any reasonable team and be certain of his money rather than hit FA and potentially end up with a Cam/Winston type deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Has anyone read Jeff Benedict's book 'The Dynasty'?

A very good book detailing a lot of the background behind Kraft purchasing the Patriots and the relationship between him, Brady and Belichick over the years.

I'm not a Patriots fan but found the behind the scenes insight fascinating and would highly recommend it to any NFL fan.

Benedict is a superb author and also co-wrote that excellent Tiger Woods book a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

BrentMused wrote:

Read the Kindle sample and my wife cut new the book for Christmas, need to get back into it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

BrentMused wrote: »

A very good book detailing a lot of the background behind Kraft purchasing the Patriots and the relationship between him, Brady and Belichick over the years.

I'm not a Patriots fan but found the behind the scenes insight fascinating and would highly recommend it to any NFL fan.

Benedict is a superb author and also co-wrote that excellent Tiger Woods book a few years ago.

Part way through at the moment. Definitely fascinating to see some behind the scenes stuff but definitely has been through the Pats PR team a few times. Definitely taking anything written as having a heap of salt with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

It's a very good book alright. Think I said on here before that it was obvious that he didn't have as much access to BB as he did to Kraft and probably Brady which is a bit of a shame and makes me a bit sceptical.

The earlier part of the book covering Kraft's purchase to the hiring of BB are fantastic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Garopollo has a no trade clause so it is likely the 49ers would have to release him if they want to trade for Stafford, unless there is a trade to a team he wants to go to.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Garopollo has a no trade clause so it is likely the 49ers would have to release him if they want to trade for Stafford, unless there is a trade to a team he wants to go to.

I think it is possible if not likely he'd accept a trade to any decent team.

It is a big risk turning down his current contract and hitting FA and potentially ending up with a Dalton/Cam/Winston deal. Once you hit FA you lose all your leverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

adrian522 wrote: »

Back to the Pats?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sure If the Pats want to pay him $27M next season and give up some draft capital to boot. More likely 49ers would release him and he'd be free to negotiate a new contract. I don't see many teams wanting to take him at his current contract.

• Advertisement

Not a chance it could happen because of value but I’d love the Texans to be able to tell Watson to play, sit, or retire.

Not a chance it could happen because of value but I’d love the Texans to be able to tell Watson to play, sit, or retire.

I get the frustration as a fan but I won't shed a tear for the owners or front office in situations like this until all player's contracts are fully guaranteed.

They cut players with contracts every day and pressurize them to sign contract extensions, with tools like the franchise tag.

Fair play to players turning the tide and using their power in the rare situation they have the leverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

BrentMused wrote: »

I thought the first hundred pages were excellent but there were so many missed opportunities afterwards. Very little about Brady's reaction towards or treatment of Garoppolo, nothing about Kraft's recent 'indiscretions', really not much depth at all on the Belichick/Brady relationship etc. Still an entertaining read but certainly has the feel of an authorised biography of Kraft essentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm all in on the Deshaun Watson trade saga around where he lands and how much it costs in cash and picks, pass the popcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'm all in on the Deshaun Watson trade saga around where he lands and how much it costs in cash and picks, pass the popcorn.

There will be lots of airtime given to all sorts of theories but Miami or the Jets are the only teams with the ammunition to do it really. They both select in the top five, have multiple first round picks and could send a cheap young QB the other way. I’d be surprised if he ends up anywhere else, assuming they want him.

That Texans organisation is some sh**show, my god it’s just appalling how badly they’ve messed everything up, and every move they make makes it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

radharc wrote: »
    I thought the first hundred pages were excellent but there were so many missed opportunities afterwards. Very little about Brady's reaction towards or treatment of Garoppolo, nothing about Kraft's recent 'indiscretions', really not much depth at all on the Belichick/Brady relationship etc. Still an entertaining read but certainly has the feel of an authorised biography of Kraft essentially.

It made sense when someone mentioned he didn't have great access to Belichik. He is the only one of the main 3 the author was willing to admit has flaws. I am guessing it avoided whatever uncomfortable situations they couldn't find a way to bring into the Pats favour, hence the missed opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,636 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think he's overrated by most. Texans can get a great deal for him, two firsts and two seconds and maybe players. They could end up with a better QB and a better team in multiple positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think he's overrated by most. Texans can get a great deal for him, two firsts and two seconds and maybe players. They could end up with a better QB and a better team in multiple positions.

This post will age well.

---

He's no Jarret Stidham.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Jesus he is definately not overrated. He has an aged oft injured jj watt and no other help this year. Class qb. Deffo top 5 in the league now imo

Jesus he is definately not overrated. He has an aged oft injured jj watt and no other help this year. Class qb. Deffo top 5 in the league now imo
    I disagree, he's inconsistent. I've noticed he's been poor in tight games when it matters many times.
    Who of Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Allen and Wilson have you him ahead of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Watson is reeking of Antonio Brown syndrome. I'm a steelers fan and I can see this coming a mile away. It's not gonna be pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭nerd69

I disagree, he's inconsistent. I've noticed he's been poor in tight games when it matters many times.

I mean 4 of them are hall of famers man if that's the conversation your having then he's an excellent qb

nerd69 wrote:
    I mean 4 of them are hall of famers man if that's the conversation your having then he's an excellent qb

He said he was top 5. I'm just asking which of them he thinks Watson is better than.
    Personally I'd have all of them and then Jackson, Tannehill, Prescott, Stafford, Carr and then the two rookies Burrow and Herbert ahead of him.
    I'll just add that I was a big fan of his coming into the league and thought he'd be top notch. There's always the possibility that some of his questionable play is down to plays being called from the sideline and coaching in general but to this point he's been very average for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Let's look at weapons available for said qbs.
    Tyreek hill, lev Bell, kelce, Watkins, Clyde eleire
    Brady has always had a couple of playmakers as well as a seller d. And this year look at his team.
    Jarred Allen this year got stefon diggs look at his numbers this year compared to last year.
    Rodgers has the other to Aaron's, and got a te again finally, also some wrs than can seriously spread the field.
    Wilson since he lost the legion of boom hasn't been as amazing but no o line but still got metcalf and his other wr that name escapes me atm.

Now look at Watsons numbers with and without Hopkins.

Every amazing qb needs support or he looks dirt.
    There's a reason Brady chose tampa. Chris godwin and Mike Evans and knew he would get others to follow on team friendly deals

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭nerd69

He said he was top 5. I'm just asking which of them he thinks Watson is better than.
    Personally I'd have all of them and then Jackson, Tannehill, Prescott, Stafford, Carr and then the two rookies Burrow and Herbert ahead of him.
    I'll just add that I was a big fan of his coming into the league and thought he'd be top notch. There's always the possibility that some of his questionable play is down to plays being called from the sideline and coaching in general but to this point he's been very average for me.

Ah here tannehil, carr in particular you can't be serious

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Derek Carr.....that's certainly interesting.... :pac:

Mike Sando in the Athletic does a survey of 50 coaches and GM’s every year where they rank the top QB’s in the league. Before the season year they ranked the top 5

Mahomes
    Wilson
    Rodgers
    Brees
    Watson

I don’t think that is far off. Obviously Tom Brady is a glaring omission and should be in there but he was coming off a relatively poor season last year and it’s a here and now list rather than a lifetime achievement list.

Haven’t watched that much of Watson but any time I’ve seen him he had been very impressive. I’d certainly have him in the top 5 in football

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Mahomes and Rodgers are the best two, comfortably in my view. I would have Watson with Wilson vying for top 3. Both marginally ahead of Brady and Allen. If we are critical of Watson in big games, for me it's no more marked than Allen or Lamar.

Carr is miles off Top 10.

Brady is obviously the GOAT, but at the moment, a step off Watson and Russ, in my view. But still a savage player.

D9Male wrote: »
    Mahomes and Rodgers are the best two, comfortably in my view. I would have Watson with Wilson vying for top 3. Both marginally ahead of Brady and Allen. If we are critical of Watson in big games, for me it's no more marked than Allen or Lamar.

Brady is obviously the GOAT, but at the moment, a step off Watson and Russ, in my view. But still a savage player.

Allen is an interesting one, this season was awesome but it was so far ahead of anything he has done in the past you’d have to wonder if it’s sustainable. A lot of things went right for him and for the Bills, they were very lucky with injuries and Diggs having his best year ever etc. Allen is definitely right up there based on this season however

• Advertisement

D9Male wrote:

If you think this then I think you really don't know what you are talking about.

Advertisement