Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game Golf

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've 4 rounds under my belt with mine now, really good knowing your clubs distance, not what you think you hit but what you actually hit, the stats side is most impressive, I got as a pressie so no outlay. Nice to walk up to a shot and know you can lay up or carry a bunker for example as well as confident off the tee for the same reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

I played with a couple of guys who were using them a couple of weeks ago - one of them for the first time. The biggest problem seemed to be to remember to touch the club off the sensor just before every shot, although the other guy said they could be inserted later on. They both seemed happy with it though.

Its not for me anyway. Apart from the money, which is significant (i.e. the price of almost a new set of irons for me!), I don't hit the ball consistently enough to be able to profit from any statistics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Mine dropped off my belt at Corballis and was never handed in so either some fecker has or it's in the long grass somewhere.

Did enjoy using it though

J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

Anatom wrote: »
    I played with a couple of guys who were using them a couple of weeks ago - one of them for the first time. The biggest problem seemed to be to remember to touch the club off the sensor just before every shot, although the other guy said they could be inserted later on. They both seemed happy with it though.

Its not for me anyway. Apart from the money, which is significant (i.e. the price of almost a new set of irons for me!), I don't hit the ball consistently enough to be able to profit from any statistics.

If you do forget to tag before you hit, it still tracks 'impact' more often than not, so the tidying up post round is easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Mine dropped off my belt at Corballis and was never handed in so either some fecker has or it's in the long grass somewhere.

J

I read on their user forums some negative feedback around the quality of the belt clip and its potential to fall off. Might be worth reaching out to their customer services team and see if they can do anything for you. I have heard of them replacing units.

I have used mine for two rounds and the getting used to tagging was much easier the second round. The feedback and stats are excellent. Can't wait to get a decent volume of data into it to give meaningful averages etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

I also got one for christmas and love it. I only have used it for 2 short outings of 5 holes and 14 holes, so the stats aren't really that concise yet.

As mentioned above its nice to see a break down of the hole and see how far you really are hitting the ball, tho i would've had a decent idea from using a GPS. One such par 5 i hit my driver 188m and my second shot 3w 198m. I would've thought the exact opposite distances would've been true.

I looked up the stats for 100m - 125m, and i was 25% left, 25% right, 25% long and 25% short :D that certainly made me laugh.

But one thing i did find was my putting average is 1.7 putts per hole, and i would've considered myself much worse than that. So thats a positive.

I'm looking forward to collecting enough data to get an accurate picture of my game tho and i can really zone in on where i'm loosing my most shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Freemount09

A fella I know got one for xmas, he was saying that it gives stats like longest / shortest / average with each club which I think would be good.

I'm not sure if they give out a little buzz or not when tagging the belt, but this guy will add in his own sound effects just so every group around will know he has it, and also to put me off !! He's a pure #GCW ! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Tweaky wrote: »
    I read on their user forums some negative feedback around the quality of the belt clip and its potential to fall off.

I've noticed on Mark Crossfield's Youtube videos that he keeps it in his pocket, and just takes it out and taps if off the club prior to the shot. Seems easier and more secure than keeping it on the belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

D Hayes wrote: »
    I've noticed on Mark Crossfield's Youtube videos that he keeps it in his pocket, and just takes it out and taps if off the club prior to the shot. Seems easier and more secure than keeping it on the belt.

Have GG a couple of months. About 5 full rounds gone into it. Main thing that let's it down for me is getting my driving landing spot wrong. Regularly giving me an 'X' on the FIR box when it should be a tick. This could be wrong four or five times. I fix them afterwards manually but it puts a question mark in my head generally. Landing position of the ball has been out a fair few times with approach shots too.

Makes you think as well - fairway edges can move in or out a yard or two over time. How can GG account for that?

Still, I'm gonna stick with it. There's a lot of good features.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Have GG a couple of months. About 5 full rounds gone into it. Main thing that let's it down for me is getting my driving landing spot wrong. Regularly giving me an 'X' on the FIR box when it should be a tick. This could be wrong four or five times. I fix them afterwards manually but it puts a question mark in my head generally. Landing position of the ball has been out a fair few times with approach shots too.

Makes you think as well - fairway edges can move in or out a yard or two over time. How can GG account for that?

Still, I'm gonna stick with it. There's a lot of good features.

They can't

• Registered Users Posts: 1 andinater1

benny79 wrote: »
    @Jtown how has it helped your game? or what do you like most about it! I cant see how its worth €200 when all its doing is recording your stats maybe in a bit more detail than the golf apps, but €200 more I'd find hard to believe..

I use GG myself, and the big thing it made me notice was my iron distance dispersion. I would always practice on a range and play on the course, so in practice i would only really be able to see right/left dispersion, not short/long. After 5 rounds my 7 iron shortest shot was 141, longest was 173 and average was 156. That's 32 yards dispersion that I wouldn't have otherwise noticed.

I agree that there are other apps/devices (like golfshot) that can do this, but the way GG captures and displays the data really impresses me, when I logged in after my first round I was surprised at how many features there was to examine.

If your a member of a club with a good pro shop, ask them if you can try one for a few holes/source somewhere to borrow one. Try it and upload the holes you play (it's free to set up an account and you don't even need to buy a device to set one up).

I like the "insight" "approach" "outside 100yards" from "tee box" stat, basically shows your par 3 tee shot stat nicely

30c4y1z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭macdonagh2007

Any advise on how I can insert the Gamegolf tag on to my Odyssey Tank Cruiser putter which carry's a weight on the top of the grip with no place to insert the tag. Will I try the old reliable SuperGlue?

Any advise on how I can insert the Gamegolf tag on to my Odyssey Tank Cruiser putter which carry's a weight on the top of the grip with no place to insert the tag. Will I try the old reliable SuperGlue?

I had to use superglue on my putter too, a super stroke hard plastic one, just cut the screw piece off the tag and a nice bed of glue and all good so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Ive used Gamegolf since last year, its certainly helped me identify areas where i needed to improve, and also made me realise other things!

I always thought i drove the ball poorly, yet im averaging 75% of fairways hit, and have always felt like i left shots out there on the greens, yet i average 1.6 putts per GIR, which is great to know.
    It also highlighted i was very poor with my 9iron over the season, missing left 60% of the time, so went to Fore and got lie angles checked, slight bend in the shaft had left my 9iron 1.5deg too upright hense the left misses!

Fantastic device and hopefully it develops even further.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

slave1 wrote: »
    I had to use superglue on my putter too, a super stroke hard plastic one, just cut the screw piece off the tag and a nice bed of glue and all good so far...

Drill a small hole for it, that might work.

Drill a small hole for it, that might work.

Tried but the plastic too hard for the screw to thread into, if you follow me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Tried but the plastic too hard for the screw to thread into, if you follow me...

I get ya alright maybe find a wood screw with a similar pitch to cut a thread in the plastic. Ya might be lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

just picked one up from adverts for €100.....now all I have to go and do is actually play golf with them

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

just picked one up from adverts for €100.....now all I have to go and do is actually play golf with them

Wow that was cheap.... Wonder why they wanted to sell, they can't have had it long.... Must keep an eye on adverts myself now.

• Advertisement

Great price, well done!

Did you get the tabs with it ?

Did you get the tabs with it ?

Yeah, it was brand new unused, unwanted gift, I got mine from Amazon US Lightening Week but €100 was a great price...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

For those of you using GG, I have a couple of questions

1) how do you interpret club distances with respect to playing in the wind? I know that broadly you will hit as many shots into the wind as against but the impact will be far more that that, eg I hit 1 irons off the tee into the wind and Driver with the wind, with a strong wind 150 yds might be 9iron with the wind and a punched 5i against. Perhaps this is a bigger aspect on a links especially in the winter.

2) Can you use it over multiple people. IE can I use it on Sat and my son use it the rest of the week? Someone mentioned that you might try it for a few holes (if the pro has a demo).

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

I generally don't use mine when its very windy tbh, i hit too many knock down shots etc so i would rather have my stats from somewhat normal conditions.

A bit like practising in the wind, you learn very little

For those of you using GG, I have a couple of questions

1) how do you interpret club distances with respect to playing in the wind? I know that broadly you will hit as many shots into the wind as against but the impact will be far more that that, eg I hit 1 irons off the tee into the wind and Driver with the wind, with a strong wind 150 yds might be 9iron with the wind and a punched 5i against. Perhaps this is a bigger aspect on a links especially in the winter.

2) Can you use it over multiple people. IE can I use it on Sat and my son use it the rest of the week? Someone mentioned that you might try it for a few holes (if the pro has a demo).

1) My shots are just much shorter into the wind, perhaps Gorfield's suggestion is better if you want to take it out of your averages?

2) You will need the tags in your son's clubs or alternatively you can tag your equivalent club as he hits, this might not be as mad as it sounds as it will not be a problem off the tee and only an issue if ye are wide distance apart after tee shots, putting not a problem but GG not really a putting distance tool if you ask me, just good for GIR and number of putts per hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Played my first game at the weekend & was thinking about this when looking at the stats.

Obviously there was a big impact from the wind but I'm also thinking, I was trying to hit some low punch shots & stuff like that so my numbers are pretty erratic.

Also, when I look at club performance, the median score is impacted by the short game shots, ie, if I hit a bump & run 8 iron it impacts the measurements of the average 8 iron shot.

Does anyone know if there is a way of excluding specific shots from the stats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

There's only one answer space... Get a 64 degree wedge and stop hitting that 8i around the greens :)

Haven't a clue is my input. But have been thinking about this and it'd be interesting to find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Played my first game at the weekend & was thinking about this when looking at the stats.

Obviously there was a big impact from the wind but I'm also thinking, I was trying to hit some low punch shots & stuff like that so my numbers are pretty erratic.

Also, when I look at club performance, the median score is impacted by the short game shots, ie, if I hit a bump & run 8 iron it impacts the measurements of the average 8 iron shot.

Does anyone know if there is a way of excluding specific shots from the stats?

Was chatting to a guy about this the other day, and the only logical answer was, not to tag the wee chip n runs and bit shots.

Just thinking about it, there are extra tags with the set. Could just set one of them as a short club, keep it in the pocket & tag that for short game shots, irrespective of the club used so the actual clubs would only be for approach shots?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭jtown

Just thinking about it, there are extra tags with the set. Could just set one of them as a short club, keep it in the pocket & tag that for short game shots, irrespective of the club used so the actual clubs would only be for approach shots?

Good idea, didnt think of that myself. Just attach it to my bag for all those shots :)

Or if you don't want to be fapping around on the course you can change the club before signing your round, you can call it anything you want, 'ignore' club for instance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads, now come on :)

I know I'm a technophobe when it comes to this stuff.

But, game golf is one thing, but if a lad starts changing tabs on a golf club - I would honeslty have to do a zen pose and count to 10 :mad:

Each to their own, but come on lads.

Hit the bleeding thing.

If we get lads turning up , on time, a tee, a ball, a marker, a pencil - we are 99 % there. :D

I think the point is....I hit my 7iron pretty much 147yards, I know that's my average and GG had supported that but I also use my 7iron from just off the green ~ if it's a large green and flag uphill, allowing this 7iron to feed my distance averages would be folly. Suggestions are to use a dummy tag in these instances, decent suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

I think the point is....I hit my 7iron pretty much 147yards, I know that's my average and GG had supported that but I also use my 7iron from just off the green ~ if it's a large green and flag uphill, allowing this 7iron to feed my distance averages would be folly. Suggestions are to use a dummy tag in these instances, decent suggestion

I am pretty sure all chip and pitch shots are completely discounted when it comes to giving average club distance as it uses median average. I don't think you have to be concerned about shots around the green in any capacity.

I know I read on their website that there's an option to set minimum distance per club to also factor in wind / punch shots, but I cannot recall if this is a current feature, a planned feature or a requested feature, but I'm sure it will be added if not so already.

flugel wrote: »
    I am pretty sure all chip and pitch shots are completely discounted when it comes to giving average club distance as it uses median average. I don't think you have to be concerned about shots around the green in any capacity.

I know I read on their website that there's an option to set minimum distance per club to also factor in wind / punch shots, but I cannot recall if this is a current feature, a planned feature or a requested feature, but I'm sure it will be added if not so already.

Think you're correct, pulled this from their FAQ
    We provide you with an aggregate collection of all the shots that you have recorded with the device for each club in your bag, as well as a low, average, and high for each club. GAME GOLF automatically filters out punch shots and poorly hit shots from your "Club Performance", provided that you have recorded multiple shots with that particular club. A club's typical distance represents approximately how many yards a 90-95% swing would yield under typical conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

We provide you with an aggregate collection of all the shots that you have recorded with the device for each club in your bag, as well as a low, average, and high for each club. GAME GOLF automatically filters out punch shots and poorly hit shots from your "Club Performance", provided that you have recorded multiple shots with that particular club. A club's typical distance represents approximately how many yards a 90-95% swing would yield under typical conditions

Now that is good maths. Well done Game Golf .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Ah but what constitutes typical conditions according to GG and how does GG account for elevation and temperature?

cheers slave, that's good to know.

I can stop stressing about my stats now :)

And fix, think I'll save using the extra tags just for when I'm playing with you, have to do something to give myself an edge on society days...I know how to get in your head now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

Ah but what constitutes typical conditions according to GG and how does GG account for elevation and temperature?

One would assume typical conditions would refer to the conditions that you play regularly.

I doubt too many people play half of their golf at high elevation and the other half lower.

As anyone does, you then, per your game golf information adjust your club choice accordingly to the change from your typical conditions, simples

• Registered Users Posts: 29 simon334

worth setting up a boards challenge on Game Golf?

simon334 wrote: »

See who'll play in that weather? Winner = Fix

See who'll play in that weather? Winner = Fix

You'd be safe from Fix, he'll never be a gamegolfer, longing for the days of hickory shafts & persimmon drivers ;)

simon334 wrote: »

Sounds good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I must read the instructions again. Was all set up to head to the range with my game golf fitted.....yeah. dont ask!

• Advertisement

J

Spoke to the guys at GameGolf and they are sending out a new one. Good service !

Spoke to the guys at GameGolf and they are sending out a new one. Good service !

Great service - I guess complimentary ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

just been re-reading through this as I have been thinking about getting one for ages.

You know on How-Did-I-Do they way you can embelish you round, you can choose what type of shot. can you do this with Game Golf? Eg, Full shot, knock down (as in on purposre - into the wind) chip, pitch, putt, greenside bunker, long bunker, flop, etc... oh yea and the Duff!.... if not, do you think it should be part of the options? I do.

You should be able to exclude certain shots from your stat reports

You know there are a lot of devices out there for stat tracking etc. I have a Garmin Approach G6, the best GPS onthe market when I bought it, but it really is no good for anything other than distance measuring, despite having all sorts of features for stat tracking. It wouldn't be hard for them to change that.

I guess my point is, there doesn't appear to be one single product on the market that will do everything and record stats the way they should be for really decent stat reporting, but from what I read, see and hear, this is probably the one that has come closest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

There is definitely a space in the market for something like that Seve. I was thinking the same at the show last week. It wouldnt be hard to insert the tagging device into a gps watch etc.

I'm sure someone is working on it already.

That's the thing with technology though, if you stagger your product releases, you're quids in.
    I think I read somewhere that Apple do this to great effect. In that, they hold back on releasing new features even though they could incorporate them into the latest products. Gotta save something for the iphone 7,8,9,27,28,29 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

PARlance wrote: »
    There is definitely a space in the market for something like that Seve. I was thinking the same at the show last week. It wouldnt be hard to insert the tagging device into a gps watch etc.

I'm sure someone is working on it already.

That's the thing with technology though, if you stagger your product releases, you're quids in.
    I think I read somewhere that Apple do this to great effect. In that, they hold back on releasing new features even though they could incorporate them into the latest products. Gotta save something for the iphone 7,8,9,27,28,29 :)

I know what you mean, but I'm not to sure that they are working on that kind of stuff. I'm talking simple stat recording stuff that is no great leap in technology. Technology is where I think they would be holding back for the future releases.

Eg. Garmin owned the GPS market for years, I'm not talking golf, just GPS in general, so they have had plenty of time to get the simple stuff right, and it just hasn't happened in their golf section. I've a Garmin for my bike, a Garmin running watch and Garmin Golf GPS. The bike thing I have is class, proper stats, screen info etc. The device is old now and newer versions have included the likes of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, live tracking (syncing with your phone), colour screens, bigger screens etc. The stats on the computer have improved changed :p(matter of opinion) slightly, but with those changes their website gets updated and I get the new stats info even though I'm still using my old device. Running watch is pretty similar, though I wouldn't think it's in the same league as my bike device, but it was a cheaper end of their range.

With the top of the line golf unit I have, the stats are pure muck, useless and pointless and pretty much non-existent. So much so, I wouldn't buy one again. But the unit itself is capable of so much more than the stats it produces, but really is good for nothing other than distance measuring.

I'm not a fan of phone apps, and wouldn't be inclined to use one, but a simple phone app could do everything necessary to give the best of stat tracking. Start there and that could lead onto a physical device, which could improve over future releases.

The is definatley a genuine gap in the market for an all in one product and if that came in the form of an App, I would pay for it, but would much rather an physical unit. Who knows, maybe something worth looking at for people who develop golf software ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement