Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Kev8360

I cant help wondering if Jared Cook will not be resigned now due to the early splash in free agency. I would like to see him stay as he was the best part of our offense last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,371 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Skeptical of paying that sort of money for him. Effort was a concern when he was with the 49ers so I’d fear him easing off now that he’s getting paid, especially stepping down from the Patriots coaching/culture
    He'll go back to mediocre OL now IMO, similar to the downgrade Solder suffered post NE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

ELM327 wrote: »
    He'll go back to mediocre OL now IMO, similar to the downgrade Solder suffered post NE.

It'll be a great start if he shows up to camp weighing less than 400lbs

Bruce Irvin out , Vontaze Burfict in. Just trading 1 indisciplined LB for another (although Irvin has a way to go to match the type of nasty hits Burfict is known for). Safe to say I am not impressed.

Kev8360 wrote: »
    I cant help wondering if Jared Cook will not be resigned now due to the early splash in free agency. I would like to see him stay as he was the best part of our offense last year.

And rumours now he is going to sign for the Saints - would be a good pickup for them. our TE depth looks very thin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Now....I know this is stupid...silly...juvenile.... and completely illogical.....but is it wrong to feel just a little bit optimistic about the coming draft and upcoming season?? I'm following this team since '83 so I know not to be in any way fooled by offseasons, but I feel I need to try and at least look on the bright side for a few weeks at least (I know......we'll draft the 5 fastest people on the draft boards and end up with 3 WR's, a safety and a punter with our first 5 picks) I'm not sure I can take much more depressing analysis and there's a limit to the amount of alcohol one can ingest to erase the taste of humble pie............ :) In a very longwinded way, I guess I'm trying to will myself to be optimistic at least until training camp, when it all falls horribly apart!!!! LOL

Now....I know this is stupid...silly...juvenile.... and completely illogical.....but is it wrong to feel just a little bit optimistic about the coming draft and upcoming season?? I'm following this team since '83 so I know not to be in any way fooled by offseasons, but I feel I need to try and at least look on the bright side for a few weeks at least (I know......we'll draft the 5 fastest people on the draft boards and end up with 3 WR's, a safety and a punter with our first 5 picks) I'm not sure I can take much more depressing analysis and there's a limit to the amount of alcohol one can ingest to erase the taste of humble pie............ :) In a very longwinded way, I guess I'm trying to will myself to be optimistic at least until training camp, when it all falls horribly apart!!!! LOL

No I think it’s totally normal to feel optimistic - one of the reasons I love the nfl is that there is always a chance that things can turn around quickly.

3 first round picks gives us a great chance to turn things around plus a legitimate wr1 now on the roster.

I am not happy with some of the decisions made so far this off season with some of the players we’ve let go but sometimes you got to burn down the house and start fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭golfball37

Raiders are strongly rumored to be the featured team in this years hard knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

I'm very nervous about this years' draft, because I see it as the most crucial draft in the next nine years(the remaining length of Jon Grudens' contract). I think it will tell us whether Gruden can listen to his GM Mike Mayock and resist the temptation to take the players that give him some new offensive toys to play with, rather than those that most benefit the team the most overall.

It is generally agreed that this years' draft is top heavy with defensive talent, which just happens to be what the Raiders need most. With the main part of free agency now over, Joyner was the only major defensive signing(with Burfict and Marshall being risky one year signings on lower money), yet so far they have acquired Antonio Brown, Trent Brown, Tyrell Williams plus QBs Jones and Glennon and have other signings at every offensive position. So that according to Spotrac, they are spending $108.5m of their cap on offence, compared just $51.6m on their defence. This means they have the 5th highest offensive spend in the league and the lowest defensive spend.

The Raiders had no pass rush last season with just 13 sacks in 16 games(17 lower than the next worst team), yet I see mock drafts suggesting that they take a QB with their first pick(and even worse, trade up and give away their other first round picks to do so), I've also seen mock drafts where they pick a cornerback or middle linebacker, which although they are areas of need, are not the greatest need. I've also seen them linked with Rashaan Gary, who is a better athlete than his production shows(and I would hate as a first round pick).

I just hope that Mike Mayock can moderate Grudens' love of offensive players and stop him using a first round pick on a QB, running back, or one of the tight ends Hockenson or Fant. The 4th pick needs to be someone who upgrades the pass rush, ideally on the edge, but if Quinnen Williams is available at 4(as possibly the best player in the draft you'd have to take him to play alongside Maurice Hurst). I'd even consider another edge player with the second pick.

I don't think this is seen as an especially strong draft class for quarterbacks, running backs or wide receivers, so they need to concentrate on those positions where the talent is greatest and if they decide that Carr isn't the QB to take the team forward, then they have the extra first rounder to trade up next year, when the QB class is expected to be stronger. Similarly, using a first round pick on the best running back in a weak running back class would be a head scratcher.

Mayock was brought in to be a savvy drafter, now the question is, will Gruden allow to do this job ? The bookies have set the Raiders over/under wins for next season at 6, the first round picks and the value they get in any trades, will help determine whether this lack of confidence is justified or not.

heyjude wrote: »
    I'm very nervous about this years' draft, because I see it as the most crucial draft in the next nine years(the remaining length of Jon Grudens' contract). I think it will tell us whether Gruden can listen to his GM Mike Mayock and resist the temptation to take the players that give him some new offensive toys to play with, rather than those that most benefit the team the most overall.

It is generally agreed that this years' draft is top heavy with defensive talent, which just happens to be what the Raiders need most. With the main part of free agency now over, Joyner was the only major defensive signing(with Burfict and Marshall being risky one year signings on lower money), yet so far they have acquired Antonio Brown, Trent Brown, Tyrell Williams plus QBs Jones and Glennon and have other signings at every offensive position. So that according to Spotrac, they are spending $108.5m of their cap on offence, compared just $51.6m on their defence. This means they have the 5th highest offensive spend in the league and the lowest defensive spend.

The Raiders had no pass rush last season with just 13 sacks in 16 games(17 lower than the next worst team), yet I see mock drafts suggesting that they take a QB with their first pick(and even worse, trade up and give away their other first round picks to do so), I've also seen mock drafts where they pick a cornerback or middle linebacker, which although they are areas of need, are not the greatest need. I've also seen them linked with Rashaan Gary, who is a better athlete than his production shows(and I would hate as a first round pick).

I just hope that Mike Mayock can moderate Grudens' love of offensive players and stop him using a first round pick on a QB, running back, or one of the tight ends Hockenson or Fant. The 4th pick needs to be someone who upgrades the pass rush, ideally on the edge, but if Quinnen Williams is available at 4(as possibly the best player in the draft you'd have to take him to play alongside Maurice Hurst). I'd even consider another edge player with the second pick.

I don't think this is seen as an especially strong draft class for quarterbacks, running backs or wide receivers, so they need to concentrate on those positions where the talent is greatest and if they decide that Carr isn't the QB to take the team forward, then they have the extra first rounder to trade up next year, when the QB class is expected to be stronger. Similarly, using a first round pick on the best running back in a weak running back class would be a head scratcher.

Mayock was brought in to be a savvy drafter, now the question is, will Gruden allow to do this job ? The bookies have set the Raiders over/under wins for next season at 6, the first round picks and the value they get in any trades, will help determine whether this lack of confidence is justified or not.
    I agree that this is not a great draft for QB's, and I must say that I am perturbed by all the rumours surrounding Gruden drafting Kyler Murray at 4, despite our obvious needs on Defense. We are actually better placed at QB than many other teams and I'm sort of hoping that Gruden and Mayock are trying to get another team to trade into 4, that its a ruse designed to obtain more draft picks. I believe in Carr, I think that with a decent line, he can flourish. He has done so before and with a decent defense enabling the Offense to play a more controlled game, Gruden can play to Carrs strengths. Defenses win championships, end of. If you take the Pats out of the equation (cause they are another level entirely) then the best teams always have a great defense. Gruden has to show he isnt Al davis, easily distracted by a novel toy and focus on building up the Roster. I'm okay with Oakland trading 4, I'm okay with them staying put...my nightmare is them trading up to get Murray or drafting a TE or QB in the first round.

• Advertisement

Schedule released:

Wk1 Broncos
    Wk2 Chiefs
    Wk3 @Vikings
    Wk4 @Colts
    Wk5 Bears (London)
    Wk6 BYE
    Wk7 @Packers
    Wk8 @Texans
    Wk9 Lions
    Wk10 Chargers
    Wk11 Bengals
    Wk12 @Jets
    WK13 @Chiefs
    Wk14 Titans
    Wk15 Jags
    Wk16 @Chiefs
    Wk17 @Broncos

On the whole not a bad schedule - good to start at home against Broncos/Chiefs - opportunity to get the fans behind the team with a couple of big rivals in town. Without knowing how the draft pans out I could definitely see us going 7-9 or 8-8 if we can get a few key additions on defense as the teams we play at home (outside of Bears and Chiefs) are all beatable.

Having 4 of the last 6 away from home is a pain - if we start badly I don't believe we will win (m)any of those games.

I disagree, I think its a terrible schedule, its bad enough that in terms of opponents they have the strongest strength of schedule of any team in the league, but in terms of actual playing schedule, it must be one of the toughest ever and is a final slap in the face for Oaklands' home fans. Has any team ever played 5 consecutive games on the road and had 7 weeks between home games in the regular season before ?

For starters, they play on Monday night and so have a short week before facing the Chiefs(their toughest division opponent), then after the Chiefs on Sept 15th, they don't play another home game until 7 weeks later on Nov 3rd, as they face the Vikings and Colts on the road, they travel to London to face the Bears followed by the bye, then further road games against the Packers and Texans, before finally coming home on Nov 3rd to face the Lions. Their bye week also comes very early with just 5 games played.

But the final insult to the Oakland fans is that, what will probably be the teams' last game in Oakland will be a non division week 15 game against the Jaguars, by which time their season could be over. Why couldn't they have switched the Broncos game from the start to the end of the season, to give a meaty division game as the final game in Oakland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭golfball37

Schedule released:

Wk1 Broncos
    Wk2 Chiefs
    Wk3 @Vikings
    Wk4 @Colts
    Wk5 Bears (London)
    Wk6 BYE
    Wk7 @Packers
    Wk8 @Texans
    Wk9 Lions
    Wk10 Chargers
    Wk11 Bengals
    Wk12 @Jets
    WK13 @Chiefs
    Wk14 Titans
    Wk15 Jags
    Wk16 @Chiefs
    Wk17 @Broncos

On the whole not a bad schedule - good to start at home against Broncos/Chiefs - opportunity to get the fans behind the team with a couple of big rivals in town. Without knowing how the draft pans out I could definitely see us going 7-9 or 8-8 if we can get a few key additions on defense as the teams we play at home (outside of Bears and Chiefs) are all beatable.

Having 4 of the last 6 away from home is a pain - if we start badly I don't believe we will win (m)any of those games.

If we lose to Denver I predict we’ll be 0-5 come the bye. That’s a really tough schedule

golfball37 wrote: »
    If we lose to Denver I predict we’ll be 0-5 come the bye. That’s a really tough schedule
    We got the worst schedule this season. We need to start winning stright out of the gate. At least it isnt KCC, week 1

heyjude wrote: »
    But the final insult to the Oakland fans is that, what will probably be the teams' last game in Oakland will be a non division week 15 game against the Jaguars, by which time their season could be over. Why couldn't they have switched the Broncos game from the start to the end of the season, to give a meaty division game as the final game in Oakland ?

Fair point ... we should have had a home division game as our last game this season.

Well, Day 1 is in the bag, lads. I'm really glad that we drafted for positions of need as opposed to going off on a QB reset (they may draft one today but I'm guessing that Carr is feeling much more secure now). I dont know whether Ferrell is a reach or not.....if he pans out then brilliant. If he is a bust then it doesnt matter so much where he was drafted. We can but hope that the choices pan out. Jacobs helps to fill the gap that Beast Mode has left and I like the fact that we addressed the Secondary. Its not that I'm optimistic, I think I'm more, relieved.

I like the fact that we addressed the Secondary. Its not that I'm optimistic, I think I'm more, relieved.

Agreed happy to see players added to defense hopefully they can contribute from the get go. Hopefully we can get some more quality through the next few days to set the team up for a few years.

Relief is a good word to describe how I feel about last nights' picks too. Hopefully they will all become week one starters and move the defence in particular, forward. My only reservation is about whether we needed to draft a running back in the first round, especially one, who wasn't a massive star in college(unlike Gurley, Barkley and Peterson), but as a first round pick he now needs to be a bell cow running back rather than part of a running back committee, because you can easily get that type of running back in the latter rounds.

There's still a lot of really good players left, so if they stay put in round two, they should have a great choice no matter what position they want to strengthen (though my fingers are still crossed that they don't use that pick on a QB or a WR who would likely be 3rd or 4th of the depth chart).

Sebastian Janikowski retired over the weekend. Through the wilderness of the late 2000's the only bright spot in our team was our special teams. Him and Shane Lechler were right at the top of their game - had to be giving how much we were paying them but still they performed. I don't think he will make it to Hall of Fame (Vinatieri is the only chance a kicker has of getting in any time soon I think just down to his game winning kicks in multiple playoffs and Superbowls) but he deserves to be recognized as one of the best kickers of the last 20 years.

We are on hard knocks this season - will be interesting to see how everything runs behind the scenes. Some lively characters anyway - gruden, AB, burfict and incognito.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Popcorn sales will increase this off season.

Popcorn sales will increase this off season.

Of all the things I expected us to make headlines for this offseason Antonio Browns helmet is the last thing I expected to see.

No way the nfl backs down.

Of all the things I expected us to make headlines for this offseason Antonio Browns helmet is the last thing I expected to see.

No way the nfl backs down.
    Of course there's no way the NFL will back down, and it's because of the fact that it's also the NFLPA that have agreed to this change. I saw a clip from GMFB today and there are over 2,000 players in the league and the number of players kicking up a fuss over this is a grand total of one. The more that comes out about this change the worse Antonio Brown looks. There are nearly thirty different types of helmet to which both the NFL and NFLPA will allow to be used this season. Also, this has been known for five years and they gave some players an extra year with their old helmets. That has ended and Antonio brown can jump up and down and cry foul all he wants. The league and the union are for once on the same page over something that will help AB but the guy seems a complete head melt.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    ... but the guy seems a complete head melt.

yep agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Gruden came out saying he's going to support AB Is that support with this stupid helmet issue and him freezing his own feet off basically ? I dont know, maybe. He hasn't played a snap and he's already an issue, cant be good for the "new team culture" their supposedly trying to create, which was a big reason they say they took Clelin Ferrell. Mack getting lauded as a real leader over in Chicago then :rolleyes:

Hope Im wrong but Im after moving from excited to super sceptical on AB

With the third pre-season game being played tonight, Gruden and Co are looking at intense rivalries in a number of positions as players compete for a place in the final 53 man roster.

Unfortunately, its not a level playing field as several players look set to make the final roster without featuring in the pre-season games so far (being unlikely to feature tonight either) and despite a strong challenge for their position from other players.

So here's a look at some of the position battles

FB - Keith Smith faces a strong challenge from undrafted rookie Alec Ingold, for while Smith has been recovering from a knee injury, Ingold has impressed both as a blocker and pass receiver, while during his college days he proved very capable as a goal line short yardage runner. I'd go with Ingold, as I don't see him clearing waivers and making it to the practice squad, and Smith hasn't been that impressive, but Smith seems to be a Gruden favourite, so who knows ?

HB - First round Josh Jacobs and third down back Jalen Richard seem to be locks, which leaves Washington and Martin possibly competing for one spot. Washington has more upside, but Martin did a good job last year and could get Grudens' vote. If they opt to carry 4 running backs, then both could make it.

TE - Waller is the starter and draftee Moreau seems to be favoured to claim a spot too, which leaves Paul Butler, Luke Wilson and Derek Carrier competing for 1 or at most 2 spots. Wilson has most NFL experience and that may be decisive.

WR - Antonio Brown and Tyrell Williams are certs to make the roster, I think rookie Hunter Renfro is also a cert and could start as their slot receiver(even though Gruden likes to move his receivers around). After that it depends on how many receivers they decide to carry, Ryan Grant should get in too and if they decide to keep a specialist kick/punt returner then Dwayne Harris could fill that role. I'm assuming they may carry 6 receivers so that leaves JJ Nelson, Keelan Doss, Marcus Ateman, Rico Gafford, Keon Hatcher and De'Mornay Pierson El competing for 1 spot. I think its between Nelson and Doss, with the 2 final pre-season games possibly providing the tiebreaker.

OL - Miller, Hudson, Jackson and Trent Brown are certs to make the 53. Incognito is suspended for the first 2 games and so doesn't count towards the final roster, while Jackson injured his MCL and may end up on injured reserve. Sharpe, Parker, Devey, Kirkland, Hunt, Cooper and Good are all vying for the other spots with nobody ruled out or ruled in at this stage. I wouldn't like to have to pick, but god help Carr if Brandon Parker sees prolonged game time.

DT - It seems as though Hankins and Hurst are certs for the 53, Justin Ellis looked that way too, but the situation has got more competitive, with PJ Hall, Ethan Westbrooks, Gabe Wright, Eddie Vanderdoes and rookie Anthony Rush all in the mix. It all depends on how many DTs they decide to keep, but I think Vanderdoes could be gone along with Gabe Wright, while they could try to stash Rush on the practice squad if he clears waivers. I think that leaves Hall, Westbrooks and Ellis competing for just 2 spots. I'd go with Hall and Westbrooks, as Hall is only going into his second year after injuries slowed him last year and so deserves another chance, while Westbrooks offers experience and more pass rush ability.

DB - Conley, Worley, Joyner(who is listed as slot corner/safety) and rookie Treyvon Mullen look to be locks, leaving Nick Nelson, Isaiah Johnson, Nevin Lawson and rookie Keasean Nixon as likely contenders for the remaining spots. Johnson is currently out through concussion and Lawson will miss the first four games through suspension, so Nick Nelson can secure his spot with a strong showing tonight and next week, though Nixon will press him and may end up on the practice squad.

The roster looks pretty set at QB, DE, LB, Safety and at the other special team positions

^feel like I got more of a feel about the roster battles in this post than 3 1/2 hours of Hard Knocks so far.... all I know from that is John Gruden loves to knock on wood!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Was actually surprised Doss got released, just from all the screen time he got on HK. I was rooting for him, still have Josh Jacobs to look forward to seeing though, got him in my fantasy Draft as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

SexBobomb wrote: »
    Was actually surprised Doss got released, just from all the screen time he got on HK.
    That's exactly why I wasn't surprised, nearly every undrafted rookie over the years on Hard Knocks that has got tonnes of screen-time and love from their coaches has got cut. Doss has signed for Jacksonville's practice squad so good for him

Advertisement