Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭eire4

Absolutely Eire, my comment was one of relief as opposed to optiimism. Sometimes you ride your luck and we did on Sunday........but a win is a win....and the standings dont worry about whether it was deserved or not. San Di....sorry Los Angeles will be a sterner test. Without a pass rush, Rivers can potentially destroy us.

hahah Ii like your stutter on San Di sorry LA. No doubt as usual on the road against the Chargers there will probably be more Raiders fans in the stands then Chargers fans,
    So true about the damage that Rivers can inflict. Will be very interesting to see what happens tomorrow. As was clear last week was more about the Browns blowing it then the Raiders winning it. But as you rightly say a win is a win and thats all the standings say. But the win will only really mean something if we can show some momentum from it and at least get back to 500 by the 8 game mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

eire4 wrote: »
    hahah Ii like your stutter on San Di sorry LA. No doubt as usual on the road against the Chargers there will probably be more Raiders fans in the stands then Chargers fans,
    So true about the damage that Rivers can inflict. Will be very interesting to see what happens tomorrow. As was clear last week was more about the Browns blowing it then the Raiders winning it. But as you rightly say a win is a win and thats all the standings say. But the win will only really mean something if we can show some momentum from it and at least get back to 500 by the 8 game mark.
    And........we blew it. :mad:

And........we blew it. :mad:

I wish I was wrong about the win against the Browns but I really felt that there was little to get excited about from that one and sadly I was proved right Sunday. At 1-4 now the only thing I see this Raiders team fighting for is the number 1 pick in the draft.

I wish I was wrong about the win against the Browns but I really felt that there was little to get excited about from that one and sadly I was proved right Sunday. At 1-4 now the only thing I see this Raiders team fighting for is the number 1 pick in the draft.
    Yup, I cant see us doing very much this season. Its so depressing.....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

What I found most depressing was, when in possession in the 4th quarter and three scores down, they were still huddling up,then wandering up to the line and running 30 seconds off the clock on every play. There was no hurry up or up tempo offence, no urgency from the players on the field or Gruden on the sideline, like as if they didn't believe they could get back in the game or even be bothered trying. Even the Chargers players seemed to be surprised at how the Raiders were running down the clock.

They have a few games left which they may be able to win(Colts, 49ers,Cardinals) to pad their record a bit, but the rest of the schedule looks tough and they'll be doing well to get back to the 6-10 record they had last season.

Its grim to be thinking of the draft in early October, especially when after Gruden arrived he committed himself to bringing a Championship to Oakland.

• Advertisement

heyjude wrote: »
    What I found most depressing was, when in possession in the 4th quarter and three scores down, they were still huddling up,then wandering up to the line and running 30 seconds off the clock on every play. There was no hurry up or up tempo offence, no urgency from the players on the field or Gruden on the sideline, like as if they didn't believe they could get back in the game or even be bothered trying. Even the Chargers players seemed to be surprised at how the Raiders were running down the clock.

They have a few games left which they may be able to win(Colts, 49ers,Cardinals) to pad their record a bit, but the rest of the schedule looks tough and they'll be doing well to get back to the 6-10 record they had last season.

Its grim to be thinking of the draft in early October, especially when after Gruden arrived he committed himself to bringing a Championship to Oakland.

The last 6 game of the schedule I don't see a win period. The next 5 games maybe 2-3 wins at best. I think the Raiders will finish at best 4-12 this season and it could be worse. It is pretty grim stuff indeed. There is no chance whatsoever of Gruden bringing a title back to Oakland. Already this season is looking like train wreck on the field to match the one off it with the farce that the Mack trade was.

The news doesn't look much better this weekend, with rookie starting LT Kolton Miller still wearing a knee brace, Osemele seems likely to miss the game so backup Jon Felliciano will start for just the 6th time in his career in his place at LG, Centre Rodney Hudson and RG Gabe Jackson missed practice mid-week with injuries(but may still play) and at RT rookie Brandon Parker gets his second start. So I expect to see the Seahawks attempt to apply plenty of pressure to the increasingly flustered Derek Carr. The hawks have the 2nd highest number of picks in the league, but will be without Earl Thomas who had 3 of them.

Away from this weeks games and with the trade deadline coming up at the end of the month, I've seen two articles suggesting possible trades involving the Raiders, the first suggested that the Raiders should trade former first round pick Amari Cooper to the Cowboys(with no suggestion as to what they might get in return), the other suggested that the Raiders should trade another former first round pick, safety Karl Joseph to the Falcons for a sixth round pick.

Cooper has been a bit of a disappointment in that he doesn't dominate like you'd hope a No 1 receiver would do and at the end of the season the team will need to decide whether to take the fifth year option or not. I suspect his agent will be looking for a huge contract, so if the Cowboys offered a 2nd round pick it might interest the Raiders. I don't think Joseph has had much opportunity in the new scheme and wouldn't trade him for just a 6th rounder, with 2 years left on his contract. If the offer was at least a third and they used it on a decent linebacker, then that might make some sense. But it is depressing to be reading again about trading away high round draft picks that are still under their rookie contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Beaten at every single position. No silver lining in that performance that I could see.

The news doesn't look much better this weekend, with rookie starting LT Kolton Miller still wearing a knee brace, Osemele seems likely to miss the game so backup Jon Felliciano will start for just the 6th time in his career in his place at LG, Centre Rodney Hudson and RG Gabe Jackson missed practice mid-week with injuries(but may still play) and at RT rookie Brandon Parker gets his second start. So I expect to see the Seahawks attempt to apply plenty of pressure to the increasingly flustered Derek Carr. The hawks have the 2nd highest number of picks in the league, but will be without Earl Thomas who had 3 of them.

Away from this weeks games and with the trade deadline coming up at the end of the month, I've seen two articles suggesting possible trades involving the Raiders, the first suggested that the Raiders should trade former first round pick Amari Cooper to the Cowboys(with no suggestion as to what they might get in return), the other suggested that the Raiders should trade another former first round pick, safety Karl Joseph to the Falcons for a sixth round pick.

Cooper has been a bit of a disappointment in that he doesn't dominate like you'd hope a No 1 receiver would do and at the end of the season the team will need to decide whether to take the fifth year option or not. I suspect his agent will be looking for a huge contract, so if the Cowboys offered a 2nd round pick it might interest the Raiders. I don't think Joseph has had much opportunity in the new scheme and wouldn't trade him for just a 6th rounder, with 2 years left on his contract. If the offer was at least a third and they used it on a decent linebacker, then that might make some sense. But it is depressing to be reading again about trading away high round draft picks that are still under their rookie contracts.

I could see the Raiders looking to trade Cooper. He shows great promise and has had some monster games but he is not consistently a dominant receiver and certainly no way will the Raiders I imagine be willing to give him a big contract when the time comes so may as well try and get a good return from him now in a trade. The season is a total bust now any way with getting the number 1 pick in next seasons draft a real possibility after the latest fiasco against the Seahawks which leaves the Raiders at 1-5. At this point I think even getting to 4 wins this season looks unlikely. In fact I would not be shocked at this point to see the Raiders finish 1-15. The only chances for any wins that I see come over the next 4 games.

Pretty grim days indeed for the Raiders. I mean I never had high expectations for this season but I never thought the team would be this bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

$100 million and the team is this mess. Gruden must be laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Kev8360

I wonder if Las Vegas are looking into get out clauses in the new stadium build? we are playing some awful stuff this year. I think Reggie is a lame duck now as it really appears as if Gruden is cleaning house of all his draft picks - can't see him staying on past the end of the season.

Well, at least we wont lose this weekend........... :(

marshawn Lynch out for a month with a groin injury.... jalen Richard will see a lot of action now, really want to see if he can be more than a 3rd down back. He showed some promise when he came in but hasn’t been able to kick on.

Nobody will respect our run now though so I expect teams to blitz early and often - rookie tackles make me nervous for Derek Carr!

Kev8360 wrote: »
    marshawn Lynch out for a month with a groin injury.... jalen Richard will see a lot of action now, really want to see if he can be more than a 3rd down back. He showed some promise when he came in but hasn’t been able to kick on.

Nobody will respect our run now though so I expect teams to blitz early and often - rookie tackles make me nervous for Derek Carr!

Final nail in the coffin that is for the season. Lynch has actually played well so far this season. Without him to take the pressure off Carr we could well see Carr take a real battering for the next month.

IMHO next weekends game decides the rest of the season. Playing at home against an equally poor Colts side off the back of a bye week if the Raiders do not win this one I see 1-15 looming large.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Cooper gone to the Cowboys?

The recent rumours suggesting that the Raiders were looking to trade Amari Cooper seem to have been confirmed as NFL.com are reporting that they have traded Cooper to the Dallas Cowboys for a 2019 first round draft pick.

I'm a little disappointed to see him go, but he has never been a dominant No 1 receiver, so unlike the Mack trade which I hated, I'm okay with this. Besides they got 3 1/2 seasons out of him and a chance to have another go at getting a stud receiver, before Cooper started asking for the really big bucks.

Now they have 3 first round picks in 2019 and 2 in 2020. Hopefully they don't blow this opportunity.

So khalil Mack and amari Cooper now gone. Some team should ring up reggie and ask if derek Carr is available. I know that's a stupid thing to say but well I'd have never expected Mack to be in Chicago.

Is Gruden trying to get all the 1st round picks in next years draft?  

We may go from the oldest team in the NFL to the youngest by the start of next season.  I am putting my money down now on the Raiders being on Hard Knocks next year.

Well we will definitely have an interest in next year's draft. And apparently its quite deep from a Defensive point of view.

It feels very strange tonight, that going into the very last Battle of the Bay, both teams are more engaged in the Nick Bosa sweepstake, than the battle for a playoff berth.

As a fan you want your team to win, but apart from a few months local bragging rights, winning tonight may hurt the team long term. Both teams need pass rushing help in the draft, just like they both needed help at left tackle last April. In Last Aprils'draft, it took a coin toss to separate them, which the 49ers won and the used to select Mike McGlinchey, a player the Raiders would probably have taken if they has picked in that spot. It looks as though both the 49ers and Raiders will be picking early in the 2019 draft, with both needing an edge rusher, so how the game finishes tonight could help decide who chooses first and possibly picks Nick Bosa.

As the song says 'Every Loser Wins', and that sums up tonights' game perfectly, whoever loses this game could win in the draft. The Raiders go into the game at 1-6 and the 49ers at 1-7, so its not like a second win for either is going to turn the season around. The 49ers could be down to their 3rd quarterback and the Raiders with a lousy defence(made lousier by the sudden retirement during the weeke of Dominic Rodgers Cromartie) are without their starting HB(Lynch-IR),best receiver(Cooper-traded) and virtually their entire O-line are carrying knocks. It could be ugly.

I can't cheer for the 49ers, but I'll be the least disappointed ever at a Raiders loss, if it ends that way.

• Advertisement

So, I said I'd ask the fans of the team. What is the situation as it stands between the raiders and the city of Oakland about playing in Oakland next year ?

The 49ers could be down to their 3rd quarterback and the Raiders with a lousy defence(made lousier by the sudden retirement during the weeke of Dominic Rodgers Cromartie) are without their starting HB(Lynch-IR),best receiver(Cooper-traded) and virtually their entire O-line are carrying knocks. It could be ugly.

I can't cheer for the 49ers, but I'll be the least disappointed ever at a Raiders loss, if it ends that way.
    Heyjude, extremely prophetic words indeed. The team is done. I feel genuinely sorry for the likes of Jordy Nelson who have been sold a lie wrapped up as some grand plan. I dont follow a team to get a high draft pick. The way Gruden is tearing down the squad is heartbreaking. How can his assistants stand on the sidelines and watch their own reputations get demolished because of the actions of the Head Coach? Paul Guenther came to us as a Defensive Co-ordinator with a solid reputation. After this, he'll be lucky to get a job at a High School, never mind another NFL team. I just dont understand how the staff can justify this course of action.......I get that the squad isnt up to standard but at the beginning of August it was supposed to be......and then the fire sale started......I'm afraid almost to ask this, but how much worse can it actually get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

I'm afraid almost to ask this, but how much worse can it actually get?

1-15 two seasons in a row?!

mushykeogh wrote: »
    1-15 two seasons in a row?!

Well 1-15 seems a lock now after that debacle on the back of getting hammered at home by an at best average Colts team coming off a bye week. Can't see where the team gets a win going forward so the number 1 pick is a lock and then its a case of what picks the Cowboys and Bears first rounders end up being.

Bruce irvin to be waived on Monday....couldn't get a pick for him in a trade. at the rate we are going we will have to have some players play offense and defense by the end of the season. this is beyond a joke.

Bruce irvin to be waived on Monday....couldn't get a pick for him in a trade. at the rate we are going we will have to have some players play offense and defense by the end of the season. this is beyond a joke.
    There have been some bad Raiders team in the long drought since the 2002 super bowl team but this is looking like the worst Raiders team of all time. Time will tell if all these draft picks and tearing everything down other then Derek Carr is the right way to go but it is clear now that that is the plan. This is a complete tear down from top to bottom and boy are these next 8 games going to be ugly.

I cant argue with that - and I really want to after watching the Jamarcus Russell seasons!

At least we were really bad back then and I had no expectations of us getting any better.

The mojo from the run to the playoffs 2 years ago is well spent now thats for sure.

I'll watch the remaining matches but only out of a sense of duty, as eire4 said the remaining games are going to be ugly..... the Chiefs must be rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of facing the Raiders twice, late in the season. I have Mahomes as my starting QB on my fantasy team. He's a must start both of those weeks. My son is a Vikings fan so at least I'll be hoping that Minnesota do well for his sake. Because they are the only reasons to watch the NFL now that my team has completely given up on doing anything in 2018.

I cant argue with that - and I really want to after watching the Jamarcus Russell seasons!

At least we were really bad back then and I had no expectations of us getting any better.

The mojo from the run to the playoffs 2 years ago is well spent now thats for sure.

I read an article this morning about that bust Russell where the Raiders sent him blank game tapes to see if he was even bothering to watch what they sent him home with. The next day the coaches asked him what did he study and Russell said blitz packages. The tapes were blank!

• Advertisement

I read an article this morning about that bust Russell where the Raiders sent him blank game tapes to see if he was even bothering to watch what they sent him home with. The next day the coaches asked him what did he study and Russell said blitz packages. The tapes were blank!
    But he didnt need to study tapes, before his drafting the pundits were raving about how he could sit at midfield and throw the ball between the uprights!!!

:D

Advertisement