Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Kev8360

But he didnt need to study tapes, before his drafting the pundits were raving about how he could sit at midfield and throw the ball between the uprights!!!

:D

I think that was his problem - he was supposed to be throwing it to his receivers 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Looks like we are starting rookies at receiver against Arizona. Brandon Lafell and Jared Cook are the main "threats"....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭eire4

Considering how clearly the Raiders have decided to tank the season at this point the team almost put a spanner in the works of getting the number 1 pick in next years draft with what was a decent performance against the Chargers under the circumstances. The score does not reflect what was a fairly close game really. Just at this point Carr has nobody to help him put any real points on the board being the key difference this week.

Well we got a win!! Away from home! :D

Now that I know we are going to be terrible watching the game last night wasn't as bad as earlier in the season. Looking at who we had lined up last night I didn't expect much and I was not surprised. Good opening TD for Cook but once again our defense cant stop big plays.

Positive is that we got turnovers but Arizona should have closed it out at the end - a holding penalty was the difference at the end on the David Johnson TD that was wiped out.

Negative is that win may have cost us the 1st pick if it comes down to a head to head between us and the cardinals.

I don't mind so much that Carr and Gruden are getting into it on the sideline - I actually like that Carr is willing to talk back to him as he is the only leader on the team we really have now - that feels weird to say when we had the oldest team in the NFL last year.

• Advertisement

Kev8360 wrote: »
    Now that I know we are going to be terrible watching the game last night wasn't as bad as earlier in the season. Looking at who we had lined up last night I didn't expect much and I was not surprised. Good opening TD for Cook but once again our defense cant stop big plays.

Positive is that we got turnovers but Arizona should have closed it out at the end - a holding penalty was the difference at the end on the David Johnson TD that was wiped out.

Negative is that win may have cost us the 1st pick if it comes down to a head to head between us and the cardinals.

I don't mind so much that Carr and Gruden are getting into it on the sideline - I actually like that Carr is willing to talk back to him as he is the only leader on the team we really have now - that feels weird to say when we had the oldest team in the NFL last year.

Right now with the win the Cardinals have the number 1 pick the Raiders number 2. Both have pretty similar schedules over the final 6 games none of which I see the Raiders winning. But we will see as things stand with this weekends win the Raiders are at number 2 and wherever later in the first round the Cowboys and Bears end up.

I am glad Carr is with us still. He's had his detractors but I still think he should be our QB going forward.

I am glad Carr is with us still. He's had his detractors but I still think he should be our QB going forward.

I would agree with that. Even in the fiasco that this season has become he has still performed fairly well overall. He is not the issue and whether the Raiders end up with the number 1 or 2 pick that needs to be spent on the best player available regardless of position IMHO but not on a QB.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Head to head isn't a tie breaker for draft position. The first tie breaker is strength of schedule and after that it goes to coin toss.
    eire4 wrote: »
    Right now with the win the Cardinals have the number 1 pick the Raiders number 2. Both have pretty similar schedules over the final 6 games none of which I see the Raiders winning. But we will see as things stand with this weekends win the Raiders are at number 2 and wherever later in the first round the Cowboys and Bears end up.

The 49ers currently have the weakest SOS so would have the first pick, but SOS changes each week depending on how the teams do.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Head to head isn't a tie breaker for draft position. The first tie breaker is strength of schedule and after that it goes to coin toss.

The 49ers currently have the weakest SOS so would have the first pick, but SOS changes each week depending on how the teams do.

Ahhh ok I thought it was head to head. Wel so at this point worst case scenario the Raiders would be the third pick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

This is a good site for determining next years draft order.

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

Tiebreakers: strength of schedule, division tiebreakers, conference tiebreakers, coin flip

wong wrote: »
    This is a good site for determining next years draft order.

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

Tiebreakers: strength of schedule, division tiebreakers, conference tiebreakers, coin flip

Thanks for posting that. So the Raiders right now have the third pick. No way thought that will go on a QB. That is the one position the Raiders are fine one right now.

eire4 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that. So the Raiders right now have the third pick. No way thought that will go on a QB. That is the one position the Raiders are fine one right now.
    i'm not an expert on College Football but I believe that the QB depth is not great in next Year's draft. Defensive Ends and tackles have a much deeper class. We have to go Defense with the first pick. Sorry, imho!

ok I saw that our strength of schedule was the same as the cardinals , didn't realise head to head wasn't a tie breaker.

looking at the 49ers schedule they are going to find it hard to win again as well (buccaneers are their best bet next week) so they will most likely be picking first.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well the SOS changes every week depending on how all the other teams do.

The 49ers have Tampa, and Denver which are both winnable. They also have the Rams in week 17 when they could be resting starters. I think the 49ers are likely to win a game as a lot of their games have been very close and they should probably have more wins as it is.

Well the SOS changes every week depending on how all the other teams do.

The 49ers have Tampa, and Denver which are both winnable. They also have the Rams in week 17 when they could be resting starters. I think the 49ers are likely to win a game as a lot of their games have been very close and they should probably have more wins as it is.

I think your right there. They have been more competitive then their record would suggest so I would be confident the Raiders will finish "ahead" of them in terms of the number 1 pick. The Cardinals who knows thats a toss up as both their schedule and the Raiders looks about the same in terms of difficulty.

i'm not an expert on College Football but I believe that the QB depth is not great in next Year's draft. Defensive Ends and tackles have a much deeper class. We have to go Defense with the first pick. Sorry, imho!

O I totally agree with you there. The idea that the Raiders would pick a QB with the first pick in next years draft is laughable. The Raiders have a ton of issues QB is not one of them though. Derek Carr is well capable of leading the Raiders and if he ever got a good cast around him he is good enough IMHO to win a super bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭golfball37

Serious stones shown tonight. Something for Gruden to build on these past two weeks.

Great result. Steelers had no answer for Jared Cook in terms of coverage and Carr had a good night. It was really good to see how well the players performed for Gruden and there are reasons for optimism. It was the best result of the year.

Always nice to get a win over the Steelers - Derek Carr had some amazing throws into tight windows and his receivers didn’t let him down. Considering what we have traded away and lost to injury this year it would be nice to pick up a win or two to close out the season and give some optimism for next year

• Advertisement

Personally I would rather not. Another win could really drop the Raiders first round draft pick number because there is quite a big group of teams currently sitting on only 4 wins. Right now the Raiders are sitting at number 3 and with the other picks from the Bears and Cowboys fading further into the first round I would want the Raiders to be as close as possible to the number 1 pick. This season is done. The team other then a handful of players is being over overhauled the only thing a win or 2 now would do is hurt the Raiders in next years draft.

Nice to get a home win in “possibly” the last game in Oakland. It wasn’t pretty but nothing has been this year.

and so it is the 4th pick in the draft for the Raiders plus 2 late first round picks from the Bears and the Cowboys. Big draft and off season for sure coming up.

And a new GM. I must say I've always liked Maycock on NFL.com doing his Draft analysis but can he be a GM?

My first thought when I saw Mike Mayock as GM is that he will be heavily involved in the draft picks but Gruden will run the show in terms of contract negotiations and free agents. They should just have gone and given him the dual role - he’s getting paid enough anyway.

Big draft coming up this year - we need to get some real quality in the first round.

My first thought when I saw Mike Mayock as GM is that he will be heavily involved in the draft picks but Gruden will run the show in terms of contract negotiations and free agents. They should just have gone and given him the dual role - he’s getting paid enough anyway.

Big draft coming up this year - we need to get some real quality in the first round.

No question about that. The picks from the Bears and Cowboys will unfortunately be at the end of the first round but really with 3 first round picks and then one right at the start of the second round as well the picks to do so are certainly there with the right free agent of 2 added in afterward.

Opens door of Raiders thread. Walks in.....dusts down the furniture.......puts on the heating and the kettle! Welcome to the offseason lads! The one time of the year where we get to hope just like the other 31 teams!! :D

anyways Antoniio Brown coming in the door and Osemele off to the Jets. Hankins resigned.....its going to be a crazy offseason again!

Well we will see where things go from here with the Raiders rebuild but at last this actually looks like a positive. Only giving up a third and fifth round pick to get Brown certainly is a good deal on paper and clearly fills the hole left by the Cooper trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

VillaMad wrote: »

Skeptical of paying that sort of money for him. Effort was a concern when he was with the 49ers so I’d fear him easing off now that he’s getting paid, especially stepping down from the Patriots coaching/culture

Advertisement