Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Degag wrote: »

This is irrelevant to the point you are trying to make. They can invite as many or as little international players as they want regardless. They actually invite very few in this way.

If some older players who were eligible to play, decided not to, it would have no bearing on the number of international players invited.

The Masters is probably unique in the world of major sports in that one of its premier competitions is entirely controlled by the members of one club, Augusta National. They can decide who may be invited or not.
    In any other sport the major competitions are run under the auspices of a governing body of that sport.
    We would think it bizarre if the European Champions League was entirely controlled by Real Madrid or Manchester United but as I’ve said, the Masters is unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭android1

Justin Rose has tied Jack Nicklaus’s record for most first-round leads or co-leads in the history of the Masters.
    Very surprised when I read that.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

Rory's body language usually tells us where his head is at and going by today it's not in the best of places

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

android1 wrote: »
    Justin Rose has tied Jack Nicklaus’s record for most first-round leads or co-leads in the history of the Masters.
    Very surprised when I read that.

What's the record?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What's the record?

Four 1st Round Leads/Co-Leads in the Masters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭4Ad

Shout fore Cameron instead of looking at the club/ ground !! FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 34,054 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Speith playing like a guy full of confidence plus getting that bit of luck too

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What's the projected cut at?

lawred2 wrote: »
    What's the projected cut at?

If the cut was being made now it would be at +4.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    If the cut was being made now it would be at +4.

Entirely in Rory's hands so to have a full weekend...

• Advertisement

Entirely in Rory's hands so to have a full weekend...

Sorry, I had forgotten that the Masters have their own rules regarding the cut, different to other PGA events.
    It’s the lowest 50 plus ties. That would mean the cut, if applied now, would be at +2.
    There used to be a rule that anyone within 10 shots of the lead would automatically make the cut but they changed that last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,054 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

See Gary Players son takes after his father. That was a disgrace what he did yesterday.

Sorry, I had forgotten that the Masters have their own rules regarding the cut, different to other PGA events.
    It’s the lowest 50 plus ties. That would mean the cut, if applied now, would be at +2.
    There used to be a rule that anyone within 10 shots of the lead would automatically make the cut but they changed that last year.

cheers

he'll likely need to be under par today to give himself a decent chance

• Registered Users Posts: 17,713 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Greens are looking very patchy.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Sky will be going daft after Roses round. I see Rory is Northern Irish again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Sky will be going daft after Roses round. I see Rory is Northern Irish again.

is he not northern Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

is he not northern Irish?

What they refer to him as changes with how he is playing.

cheers

he'll likely need to be under par today to give himself a decent chance

Even when he’s playing poorly, Rory tends to throw in a decent round or two. Hopefully he can do that today.
    I don’t think Rose can possibly repeat yesterday’s performance; he will be doing well to break par. So a lot of players, including Rory, are still in this.

What they refer to him as changes with how he is playing.

the coverage of his nationality is fairly consistent as is his form

Even when he’s playing poorly, Rory tends to throw in a decent round or two. Hopefully he can do that today.
    I don’t think Rose can possibly repeat yesterday’s performance; he will be doing well to break par. So a lot of players, including Rory, are still in this.

but if he just gets par rory will need to make up 11 shots on him

thats a big ask already

he could play badly of course, more likely for one solo leader to fall back, as he knows himself.

Rory needs 3 great rounds really, not just 1 or 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭Augme

Rory still in this? Still in it in the sense that technically he can still win but not in an anyway realistic chance of winning it I hope you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

See Gary Players son takes after his father. That was a disgrace what he did yesterday.

What did he do?

Augme wrote: »
    Rory still in this? Still in it in the sense that technically he can still win but not in an anyway realistic chance of winning it I hope you mean.

Well DJ thinks he can win it and he’s only 2 shots better than Rory.
    Jack Nicklaus once said that it it is much more important how many players are between you and the lead rather than how many shots. If one player is way out in front it only takes a few mistakes from that one player to bring a lot of other players back in.

but if he just gets par rory will need to make up 11 shots on him

thats a big ask already

he could play badly of course, more likely for one solo leader to fall back, as he knows himself.

Rory needs 3 great rounds really, not just 1 or 2

one thing at a time

he needs to make the cut first

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Well DJ thinks he can win it and he’s only 2 shots better than Rory.
    Jack Nicklaus once said that it it is much more important how many players are between you and the lead rather than how many shots. If one player is way out in front it only takes a few mistakes from that one player to bring a lot of other players back in.

Give over Rory has no chance he won't even make the cut, why quote Jack Nicklaus, the problem with Rory is between his ears since he signed the nike contract, changing coach right before a major should have told you everything you need to know

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

That was a very Entertaining and interesting first round. Augusta biting back after last November’s high scores. Looked on the brink of losing the greens alright but just in the limit I think.

15th seem to give the most trouble. Weisberger putted into the water, Im and Lowry both chipped in the water and Speith should have followed.

Exceptional round from rose given he hasn’t played a tournament in a month or so and that he was injured in that time. He has some record aroun Augusta and wouldn’t begrudge him a green jacket even though I don’t particularly like him. Way too corporate for me.

Still plenty of big names just behind him and will be interesting to see who from the bigger names further back can get themselves back into contention.

Will be interesting to see how the golf course is set up today too. Will they keep it really tough or ease it up a bit

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I assume, without the TV camera on the close up, this would never have been spotted. Makes you wonder how often small things like this happen that are not spotted. Its not a level playing field if this is relying on the TV cameras as some will be caught and some not. Unfair.

I assume, without the TV camera on the close up, this would never have been spotted. Makes you wonder how often small things like this happen that are not spotted. Its not a level playing field if this is relying on the TV cameras as some will be caught and some not. Unfair.

Crazy if it turns out that it's the difference between winning the Masters or not.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

and reed got away with his sand castle building in a different tournament, monty too was some man for cheating in bunkers

Advertisement