Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 B lotto 79

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Anybody know a place to check if there has been a hole in one yet and who got one if so? Don’t want to check through everybody’s score card.

They’re rare enough. Sky would mention it or you’ll see it in the latest news on the Masters app.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,859 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

JT was close enough to hole in one on 6

I really hope Patrick Reed isn't in the hunt on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Good start from Shane

lawred2 wrote: »
    Good start from Shane

Considering his drive on the 9th was in the next parish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭swarmberg

Guys did you hear that Jon Rahm became a father last week? Difficult to miss with it getting a mention on every second shot he hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

This is beginning to resemble crazy golf with the speed of the greens. If the greens stay like this with a bit of wind thrown in, it’s going to become just a lottery. Good entertainment ok, but is it a fair test of golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Lowry went looking for Rorys holiday home on 10😡

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Roger_007 wrote: »
    This is beginning to resemble crazy golf with the speed of the greens. If the greens stay like this with a bit of wind thrown in, it’s going to become just a lottery. Good entertainment ok, but is it a fair test of golf?

I thought the course was too easy for you?!

Wedge and putt contest ;)

Just seen Bernd Wiesberger have a putting mare at the par 5 15th. Had a fifty footer for eagle. The end result of that putt ended in the drink. The worst de green ever!

• Advertisement

I thought the course was too easy for you?!

Wedge and putt contest ;)

I never said the course was easy and, yes, it’s still primarily down to the short game but when the greens are this treacherous it can be unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I never said the course was easy and, yes, it’s still primarily down to the short game but when the greens are this treacherous it can be unfair.

unfair to who?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

Degag wrote: »
    If you think that's bad, it's not long ago there were lads well into their 70's shooting scores in the 80s/90s every year.

Before they brought in the 65 year limit.

Which i didn't like. Because as others have said, these guys earnt the right to go out and shoot 80/90.

It's what sets the Masters apart.

I don't think there is an official age limit at the Masters.

Sandy Lyle won this 32 (thirty-two) years ago, in one of his four top-ten finishes at majors. By doing so, as I understand it, he automatically became a member of Augusta National, and he is then able to play the course and shoot 80/90, whenever he wants, 363 days a year.

With a much smaller field than the other majors, the first two days of this one have been pretty much reduced to removing the former champions who don't qualify for the tournament on any other criterion, plus a few others who don't perform this week. This year there are 12 such people.

The people who organise this obviously want to protect its exclusivity, and keep the numbers fairly low, but there are probably a whole host of people who are currently in the world's top-100 who can't get in but could possibly win it.

No-hopers like Lyle, Woosnam, Mize and others being there - even though they can play Augusta National pretty much any time they want - is definitely hampering the chances of others for stardom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Sandy Lyle won this 32 (thirty-two) years ago, in one of his four top-ten finishes at majors. By doing so, as I understand it, he automatically became a member of Augusta National, and he is then able to play the course and shoot 80/90, whenever he wants, 363 days a year.

With a much smaller field than the other majors, the first two days of this one have been pretty much reduced to removing the former champions who don't qualify for the tournament on any other criterion, plus a few others who don't perform this week. This year there are 12 such people.

The people who organise this obviously want to protect its exclusivity, and keep the numbers fairly low, but there are probably a whole host of people who are currently in the world's top-100 who can't get in but could possibly win it.

No-hopers like Lyle, Woosnam, Mize and others being there - even though they can play Augusta National pretty much any time they want - is definitely hampering the chances of others for stardom.

There is an age limit for former champions (65), was brought in a good few years ago, only thing stopping Gary Player from continuing after his opening tee shot :D

I think the qualifying is pretty fair now, top 50 in the world, plus all the PGA tour winners from the previous 12 months, and top 15 I think from the previous Masters, a couple of other exemptions too. I think if you don't qualify, you don't have too many excuses.

Sandy won two majors and I doubt he'd be shooting 80/90 any of those other 363 days of the year. He'll be gone soon enough anyway.

It'll be sad when Bernhard is shoved off the stage, he'll just have to keep finishing top 15 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

There is. 65 years of age. It's a recent enough thing - probably in the last 10-15 years.

How is it hampering others? There is no set number who play the Masters every year. If you qualify, you qualify.

If Lyle, Woosnam, Mize did not play this year, there would be 3 less players in the field - i.e. they would not be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

There is. 65 years of age. It's a recent enough thing - probably in the last 10-15 years.

I can't be sure that you're right. The wikipedia page on the current tournament states the list of past champions who are playing, and gives the following list, in category one, of all past winners of the Masters tournament:

Past winners not expected to play: Tommy Aaron, Jack Burke Jr., Ángel Cabrera, Charles Coody, Ben Crenshaw, Nick Faldo, Raymond Floyd, Bob Goalby, Trevor Immelman, Jack Nicklaus, Mark O'Meara, Gary Player, Craig Stadler, Tom Watson, Tiger Woods (18), Fuzzy Zoeller.

This doesn't sound like there's an official age limit, as there is now at the (British) Open.

How is it hampering others? There is no set number who play the Masters every year. If you qualify, you qualify.

If Lyle, Woosnam, Mize did not play this year, there would be 3 less players in the field - i.e. they would not be replaced.

They could be replaced, in Category 20: invited international players.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

That's cruel on Lowry

If that happened at Shinnecock Hills the commentators would be slating the USGA.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

I can't be sure that you're right. The wikipedia page on the current tournament states the list of past champions who are playing, and gives the following list, in category one, of all past winners of the Masters tournament:

Past winners not expected to play: Tommy Aaron, Jack Burke Jr., Ángel Cabrera, Charles Coody, Ben Crenshaw, Nick Faldo, Raymond Floyd, Bob Goalby, Trevor Immelman, Jack Nicklaus, Mark O'Meara, Gary Player, Craig Stadler, Tom Watson, Tiger Woods (18), Fuzzy Zoeller.

This doesn't sound like there's an official age limit, as there is now at the (British) Open.

I am not sure if it is OFFICIAL and perhaps if a player kicked up enough of a fuss he would be allowed to play past 65. I wouldn't have an issue with it and would actually encourage it.

However i don't think you will find many players in the past 15 years or so who have. So whether it is official or not, it is definitely being acted upon by the players.

This is irrelevant to the point you are trying to make. They can invite as many or as little international players as they want regardless. They actually invite very few in this way.

If some older players who were eligible to play, decided not to, it would have no bearing on the number of international players invited.

That's cruel on Lowry

If that happened at Shinnecock Hills the commentators would be slating the USGA.

Ya, there's a tough course, and something that starts to look like crazy golf.

Past champions have a lifetime qualification according to Augusta website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Surely this is the year when the organisers will take Sandy Lyle gently aside for a quiet word, after he cards an 81 and will miss the cut yet again.

One top ten finish - the year he won it - in 40 attempts.

Ah, Strassen is back once again for his annual april dig at poor old Sandy Lyle. Lets remind ourselves of Strassen's last visit to the forum back in April 2019
    Fully expecting Sandy Lyle to give the pgatour computer a decent workout this week, calculating his score.

It's over 30 (thirty) years since he won his green jacket, and he really is stretching it by turning up yet again. I hope he is going to be taken aside soon by the organisers.

At least, finally, we won't have to face him in the Open this year.

I think the mod back then even told you to stop having a go at Sandy Lyle.

But lets remind you anyway of why Sandy can play here as often as he wants.

Sandy, Woosnam, Mize and all the other no hopers are NOT taking up a space from anyone else. The Masters is invitation only on the basis of a player achieving a set criteria laid out by them. They have earned their right to play by meeting one of these criteria. Just as everyone else who is there. Them showing up and playing every year does not take a space from someone else. This is emphasised by the fact there are not always a set number of 3 balls. Many years, there are a couple of 2balls playing on the first 2 rounds because the numbers are not round. As little as 60 players can achieve invite to the Masters. As many as 200 can also if the conditions of qualifying were right (top 50 in the world, top 12 and ties from previous year, top x from other major champions, etc....) He's not taking anyone elses place. Nobody in the field is taking anybody elses place except for the person they beat to make their qualification. There was a space going from the Valero open to anyone who had not previously qualified but had won there. They didnt offer the place to the top player who hadnt qualified. It was win, or gtfo!

And I know you know all this. You'd have to. Especially as some one who has worked at a European Tour event in the past, I'm sure you know this
    I'm not, overall, having a dig at Sandy Lyle.

I am confident that Sandy is a very fine, upstanding person, and still obviously a fine golfer. A good performance today too. My quibble is, mainly, that one of the 'majors' still has room for such a large number of no-hoper former champions in the relatively small field.

Many years ago I worked for a time on the European tour.

You can call it whatever you like, but you HATE Sandy Lyle and it has been pretty clear for a number of years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Rose rocking the M1 driver!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Arnold Palmer played 50 years in a row. Well beyond 65 Those players are choosing not to play. Their choice!

If Calcavecchia had beaten Sandy in 1988 he'd be the one playing and I daresay, we'd see no posts from you if he had

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Shane might as well have brought the skates because those greens are like glass. Scandalous his delicate chip travelled the way it did on 15, if the USGA don't water them overnight the tournament will be reduced to a joke.

Burned out on day one

• Registered Users Posts: 21,216 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

This is an amazing round by Rose

Shane might as well have brought the skates because those greens are like glass. Scandalous his delicate chip travelled the way it did on 15, if the USGA don't water them overnight the tournament will be reduced to a joke.

The USGA have no say in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,859 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Fleetwood is Mr Hole In One

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The USGA have no say in the matter.

They might break in to water the greens in case this plays more difficult then the US Open :D

Lovely round by Lowry despite being wild off the tee at times.

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    This is an amazing round by Rose

He was +2 after 7. Home in 30. Super round.

Advertisement