Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CLASSIC HITS OR 4FM

Options
  • 25-02-2018 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Classic hits 4fm seem to be dropping 4fm more ofton from their name. Is this poor branding. Is it one or the other.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

For me, Classic Hits will always be remembered as the tagline of 98FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

4FM has to be the worst name given to a professional radio station ever in Ireland...feck it, even the names of the smaller pirates over the last 50 years in Ireland were better!

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

4FM has to be the worst name given to a professional radio station ever in Ireland...feck it, even the names of the smaller pirates over the last 50 years in Ireland were better!

4FM was chosen because the station was broadcasting to four cities / Dublin / Cork / Limerick & Galway. They did consider changing the name during one of the makeovers I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

4FM was chosen because the station was broadcasting to four cities / Dublin / Cork / Limerick & Galway. They did consider changing the name during one of the makeovers I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

The face book page heading is now just classic hits. Is it winding down or somthing i dont get niel boylans night time hours being cut. Sounds awful all those repeats on random nights. Perhaps he got a wage cut for less hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

Noticed this too over the last week, probably just a bit of in house re branding, Classic Hits is better than 4FM I guess, as outlined above the name was for the four cities its in but it's a bit confusing, Classic Hits is more in line with the station.

Also noticed being back in Dublin the last week that 98FM are the now using the tagline "the sound of the city" on air, not sure if it's on other branding yet, they had this before I think?
    I'm guessing it's a rebranding of such.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This evening at 7pm the news, sport and weather liners were all Classic Hits. The liner for the Club Classics show was then Classic Hits 4FM.

The RDS is still 4FM. Not sure what they can do there as the RDS is limited to eight characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Wish theyed make thier minds up its sloppy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

marno21 wrote: »
    This evening at 7pm the news, sport and weather liners were all Classic Hits. The liner for the Club Classics show was then Classic Hits 4FM.

The RDS is still 4FM. Not sure what they can do there as the RDS is limited to eight characters.

Who presents Club Classics?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Who presents Club Classics?

Rob O'Jock

• Advertisement

The branding is all over the place. It's either 4FM or it isn't - pick one or the other! If they were to change their RDS, best they could probably do is "CLASSHTS".

And then separately we have "The Sound Of The City" as the tag for 98FM and "The Sound Of The Nation" for 2FM! Oh dear. Who had it first?

JDxtra wrote: »
    The branding is all over the place. It's either 4FM or it isn't - pick one or the other! If they were to change their RDS, best they could probably do is "CLASSHTS".

How about just 'CLASSICS' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

JDxtra wrote: »

And then separately we have "The Sound Of The City" as the tag for 98FM and "The Sound Of The Nation" for 2FM! Oh dear. Who had it first?

4FM also use the tagline 'Real Radio'............

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Infoanon wrote: »
    4FM also use the tagline 'Real Radio'............
    Is that not just for the Niall Boylan show?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

marno21 wrote: »
    Is that not just for the Niall Boylan show?
    Its been used in other promos and on air - its use has reduced in recent times but there was a time ,last year iirc. when the 'real radio' tagline was been pushed.

Damien Farrelly taking over Gareth's slot and Nicki Hayes taking over Damien's slot.

Enda Murphy no longer on weekends it seems

Eoin Larkin announced before 2pm that Nikki Hayes was coming up after the 2pm news.

But Eoin is still on after 2pm !!

Are Saturdays now all voicetracked on 4FM?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Damien Farrelly taking over Gareth's slot and Nicki Hayes taking over Damien's slot.

Enda Murphy no longer on weekends it seems

Interestingly, all four of those names mentioned there are ex-2FM presenters!

Interestingly, all four of those names mentioned there are ex-2FM presenters!

Enda Murphy was on 2FM? When and what show/slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Enda Murphy was on 2FM? When and what show/slot?

He used to be on Sunday afternoons on 2FM in the '00s.

You have to bear in mind that over the years he has turned up nearly everywhere, Rock104/FM104, East Coast Radio, 98FM, 2FM, 949 The Rock and the three related stations: Radio Nova, 4FM and Sunshine 106.8.

• Advertisement

He used to be on Sunday afternoons on 2FM in the '00s.

You have to bear in mind that over the years he has turned up nearly everywhere, Rock104/FM104, East Coast Radio, 98FM, 2FM, 949 The Rock and the three related stations: Radio Nova, 4FM and Sunshine 106.8.

I think he's also the voice of the in-store radio station at The Square in Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 John from Carlow

Is it true that the bai have given this joke station an automatic licence renewal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Is it true that the bai have given this joke station an automatic licence renewal?

I’m curious what makes this a “joke” of station in your view, compared to the likes of Today FM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

The RDS message is localised in Cork too

"Cork's Classic Hits" or something similar.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    The RDS message is localised in Cork too

"Cork's Classic Hits" or something similar.
    Localised RDS in Limerick, Galway and Dublin too. 104.6 Maghera isn't localised as it covers Clare, Limerick and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Classic Hits went out the window when they changed to the current format. Classic describes many songs that were played in the early days. The same can't really be said currently. So yes, it's wise to leave it at 4fm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 John from Carlow

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I’m curious what makes this a “joke” of station in your view, compared to the likes of Today FM?

The Niall boylan show and a bunch of 00s 2fm djs who flopped sounds like a joke to me

In Dublin, the RDS name reads "4FM_____" - yes, they have padded it out with spaces so it will never appear centred. The RDS radio text displays the name of the current song playing. No matter which way they chop it up, "Classic Hits" can't be used as the main RDS name (programme service) as it is too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

I think he's also the voice of the in-store radio station at The Square in Tallaght.

He's more than that :)
    He's the M.D. of Airserv who do the in-store music in probably most of the shopping centres around the country at this stage, it seems to be all 4FM and Nova voices on the various ads and liners on the stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

Something was having a meltdown for the first twenty minutes after 8.

It sounds like two or three shows being played out on air at the same time.

Advertisement