Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everything Pink Floyd.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I'm still not sure what to make of it. There are some lovely passages on it, nods to the past and a nice insight into just what Rick added to Pink Floyd's sound. I didn't come to this with great expectations so I'm not disappointed but I can't help but wish there was more. Still, I don't feel the same disappointed empty feeling I did when I heard On An Island

I found On An Island to be quite bland myself. Hoping that Gilmour's next solo album has a bit more bite to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I've given Endless River a number of proper listens now, in order to form a decent opinion of it. And I like it, its a pretty cool little record.

It touches on a lot of aspects of earlier Pink Floyd - Skins is very Ummagumma, Its What We Do could be Shine On You Crazy Diamond. On Noodle Street I quite like; it reminds me of the funky parts of Echoes or Atom Heart Mother - not quite as funky though!

I love Anisina. Something about those chords changes are very restful, comforting. I was surprised to read the liner notes to see that it was written and played by Gilmour - it sounds like a very Rick Wright piece.

Talkin Hawkin I like the music of, but I fail to see the point of using his sample again. We had that on Keep Talking so why repeat it?

Louder Than Words is a disappointment though. Its not a very good song; it sounds a bit awkward. They'd probably have been better off leaving it instrumental. Btw is that Syd's voice at the very end? We've got the other four so why not?

I've also been listening to the Division Bell a lot of the last few months. Its actually a really strong album, far stronger than people give it credit for. Cluster One could fit on Endless River, and Poles Apart is one of the best post-Waters songs. OK, there are some duffers - A Great Day For Freedom isn't a great day for music ;) and Keep Talking is a bit weak as well. But I just LOVE Coming Back To Life now for some reason - the melody is beautiful. Lost For Words is a very strong track, and of course High Hopes - the best post-Waters track in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

We are No.1

RTE Website
    Prog power beats the might of Foo Fighters and eh, Cheryl - Pink Floyd have floated to No 1 in the Irish album charts with their new album of unreleased material from 1994, The Endless River.

And we are straight in at No 1 in the U.K. knocking Ed Sheeran from the top spot and beating the Foo Fighters at No. 2.

BBC Radio 1 Album Charts

When you beat One Direction as Amazon's most pre-ordered album, you're going to get to number one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭RayCon

As I posted elsewhere :

I finally gave Endless River album a spin. Have to admit - it was hard work. It's like an intro, leading to another intro, leading to another intro - it goes absolutely nowhere. I know they said it was from out-takes etc ... but it's still exactly that - just out-takes. To release this as an official stand alone Floyd album is an embarrassment to their back catalogue and the fact it's meant to be an epitaph to Richard Wright is bloody insulting.

It's a bonus disc tagged onto yet another remastered box set at best.

Track 7 got on my tits the most. It sounds like the music to a Sunday evening BBC drama about a rural vet , starring Martin bleedin Clunes and his ears. ****in awful ... I dare you to listen to it and not imagine slo mo footage of Clunes in a green Vet jacket , jauntily walking across a field, climbing over a fence , getting into an old land rover , then pulling a calf out of a cows fanny. That's as close as this gets to Animals.

Absolute, boring, floor cuttings.

edit - oops, Division Bell was their last number 1 album (I thought it was Final Cut).

Its a bit mad that the likes of Dark Side Of The Moon, The Wall, Animals etc weren't number 1 albums.

The first Floyd album of original material since "The Final Cut" in 1983 to reach number 1 in the UK charts.

Its a bit mad that the likes of Dark Side Of The Moon, The Wall, Animals etc weren't number 1 albums.

The Division Bell
    Charted no1 in ten countries incl the UK.
    Animals and The Wall
    were No. 1 several countries.
    Wish You Were Here
    hit No. 1 in the U.K.
    Dark Side
    was No.1 in the U.S., New Zealand and Canada and hit No.2 in the U.K.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    The Division Bell
    Charted no1 in ten countries incl the UK.
    Animals and The Wall
    were No. 1 several countries.
    Wish You Were Here
    hit No. 1 in the U.K.
    Dark Side
    was No.1 in the U.S., New Zealand and Canada and hit No.2 in the U.K.

None of that contradicts what I said, that Dark Side, Animals, and The Wall weren't number 1 albums (in the UK).

But fair enough about Division Bell being number 1.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

finally arrived today. Double disc vinyl. Where are the vocals?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,831 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You serious? ?

The more I listen to it the more I am enjoying it.
    Today was through headphones while working and I really am digging the music.
    Yes you can pick out bits that will remind you of tracks from previous albums, but there is also some really nice original stuff as well as the soundscapes.
    One thing I am grateful for is that Dave didn't swamp it with guitar. Even Nicks drumming comes to the fore as well, which brings a bit of balance and helps to put the P.F. stamp on things.
    But its Rick's pieces that are more prominent than usual, but we expected that and the album could sit comfortably amongst Ricks solo work.
    Anyone else notice the nautical themes amoung the photographs? a nice touch as its a nod to Rick's passion of sailing.
    Overall, for me anyway, its a bitter sweet moment, for years, well actually 20 years, wondering and wishing if they would do one more, and they have, and I really, really like it and I'm not disappointed. The sad part is that most likely this is definitely the last original studio album under the Pink Floyd banner. But I am still hoping that some day they may release some of the archived live recordings, I do know that it was being considered and that certain people were approached so fingers crossed.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    You serious? ?

:D

I've been taking in the album artwork actually. I quite like the sleeve and the booklet. My life won't be complete until I pick up a decent copy of meddle on vinyl though. I think I'm the only person that doesn't hate the cover.

No you're not the only one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Chelon

:D

I've been taking in the album artwork actually. I quite like the sleeve and the booklet. My life won't be complete until I pick up a decent copy of meddle on vinyl though. I think I'm the only person that doesn't hate the cover.

Make me an offer :) Only kidding I'd never part with it.

Still remember staring at the cover for ages with mates before we finally, delightedly worked out what it was...

Anyone going to Brit Floyd next week? I see there's still good seats available, so not sure how it's selling. It's a lovely venue, so this may be worth taking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Chelon wrote: »
    Anyone going to Brit Floyd next week? I see there's still good seats available, so not sure how it's selling. It's a lovely venue, so this may be worth taking in.

Always a good show

Always a good show

Master of the understatement :p

I FOUND THEM!!!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/jaden-smith-pink-floyd/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you've nothing constructive to add!

:mad:

I just got a little sick in my mouth...

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Sacrilege, boo, hiss!!

I should probably ban myself from this forum.

I sincerely hope that NOBODY related to Pink Floyd gave him permission to use the track and he gets sued to kingdom come for that horrendous crap.
    Even putting the track aside, he couldn't rap to save his life, absolute cack.

I sincerely hope that NOBODY related to Pink Floyd gave him permission to use the track and he gets sued to kingdom come for that horrendous crap.
    Even putting the track aside, he couldn't rap to save his life, absolute cack.

B-b-b-but he's really clever and deep a spiritual and stuff!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93089912

endacl wrote: »
    B-b-b-but he's really clever and deep a spiritual and stuff!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93089912

This bit made me laugh out loud. ..
    this is what happens to some extremely wealthy kids when they are born without needing to achieve anything. They disappear up their own bmholes in search of prana energy.

Next comes the hard drug addiction and implosion.

New album is not that great.

That's a massive understatement

Anyone else do Brit Floyd last night? Thought they were musically excellent as usual but the Grand Canal theatre, as fine as it is, is still too small for a show on this scale. It's a shame they're not selling enough tickets (I presume) to play the Point again.

RayCon wrote: »

While I wouldn't give it 10 / 10, I do still really like it.
    In all honesty when I heard it was going to be a series of out-takes spliced together I did have my reservations and didn't expect great things except for it being never before heard material. But I am not disappointed by it, if anything, when you consider what it really is, I feel it works and its a job well done.
    So in saying that, I ask the question, what were you expecting?

• Advertisement

While I wouldn't give it 10 / 10, I do still really like it.
    In all honesty when I heard it was going to be a series of out-takes spliced together I did have my reservations and didn't expect great things except for it being never before heard material. But I am not disappointed by it, if anything, when you consider what it really is, I feel it works and its a job well done.

It's like a band that learned guitar by playing lots of pink floyd. It's reminiscent of older better material in places but that's kinda the only value you get from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

David made a surprise appearance with Bombay Bicycle Club at the very last show to be held in Earl's Court on Friday night.

Anyone know his involvement with this band?

Bombay Bicycle Club wiki page
    During the concert, band member Jamie MacColl introduced a special guest, saying; "This man gave me my first guitar and was one of the first people to play this venue and by my count has played here more than 27 times."
    This was Pink Floyd member David Gilmour, who then played with the band on their song "Rinse Me Down" before a performance of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here".

I didn't notice that Bombay Bicycle Club got big enough to play Earl's Court!

• Advertisement

For anyone who may not have heard. ..

PinkFloyd.com
    GRAMMY NOMINATION FOR 'THE DIVISION BELL"
    The Division Bell has been nominated in the upcoming Grammy Awards for 'Best Surround Sound Album'. The award winners will be announced in a ceremony to be held on Sunday 8th February 2015. The surround mix is available in the 20th anniversary box set of the album, released earlier this year.

I expected them not to release such unfinished, patchy ideas as an official stand-alone Pink Floyd album.

It's a bonus disc of outtakes at best and should have been included in one of the many remastered box sets.

I see it as nothing more than a cash-in. I hate everything about it , right down to the substandard artwork (which looks like the cover of a meditation cd you'd find in petrol stations !)

I expected them not to release such unfinished, patchy ideas as an official stand-alone Pink Floyd album.

It's a bonus disc of outtakes at best and should have been included in one of the many remastered box sets.

I see it as nothing more than a cash-in. I hate everything about it , right down to the substandard artwork (which looks like the cover of a meditation cd you'd find in petrol stations !)

all the previous advertising and talk about the album clearly said this was an album of outtakes from 20 years ago, namely the division bell..... so why are you surprised thats its exactly what they said it would be?

personally ive always though the best tracks from the division bell were the instrumentals, so im very happy with this album. Definitely a headphone or driving album....

why do you say its patchy and unfinished? because theres no lyrics?
    The songs seem to me to me worked to the n'th degree (4 different producers is an indication of the efforts put into it).

I wouldn't have called it patchy or unfinished either. As I have said before, considering what it actually is, I think it works and works well.
    In time I will most likely listen and enjoy it more than one or two of their previous releases.

Its better than Ummagumma (studio disc) anyway.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Umma can be hard going at times. I clearly remember all those years ago my parents pleading with me to use headphones if I wanted to listen to it.

yeah not one of my favs (the live disk is brilliant though)

but still have to say that it gets probably 10 times more listening in my house than 'momentary lapse of reason'..... god thats dire...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

sydthebeat wrote: »
    yeah not one of my favs (the live disk is brilliant though)

but still have to say that it gets probably 10 times more listening in my house than 'momentary lapse of reason'..... god thats dire...

Momentary Lapse and The FInal Cut are both dire, in my view. Division Bell isnt much better. I enjoyed the new one because I've always liked instrumental ambient music. I've seen alot of negativity towards it but I dont really know what people were expecting. They made it clear what they were releasing from the very start. People seemed to be expecting another Dark Side of the Moon when it came out.

As I've gotten older I've begun to enjoy Momentary Lapse Of Reason a lot more... Learn To Fly, Sorrow, One Slip, On The Turning Away are all good songs and those alone are enough for me to like the album.

Division Bell is proving to have aged very well indeed; it is far better than most people think and certainly more enjoyable than the Final Cut and even sections of the Wall ("Vera", anyone?). And its a lot better than Momentary Lapse. Poles Apart is one of my favourite late-era Floyd tracks.

I see Endless River as just a nice little album to have by Pink Floyd... no great shakes... but then again neither are More or Obscured By Clouds and I love those albums for what they are.

I'm a big Floyd head but unfathomably didn't get around to listening to The Final Cut until around 5 years ago. This was possibly a good thing for me....

People will disagree but for me it is amazing; the Gunners Dream is one of the finest songs ever written IMO.

Did the haters listen to it at time of release and expect something similar to The Wall?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

You probably all know it but I just came across the Dark Side of the Moon in the Billboard 200 chart for the 891st week!

(That's over 17 years!)

Next longest currently in the chart for a full 10 years less time is Bob Marley's Greatest Hits.

You probably all know it but I just came across the Dark Side of the Moon in the Billboard 200 chart for the 891st week!

(That's over 17 years!)

Next longest currently in the chart for a full 10 years less time is Bob Marley's Greatest Hits.
    People used to quote the fact that it had never slipped from the top 100. Fair play and all that, but charts are kinda meaningless. At some point in the future we'll all be marveling that DSOTM has spent X thousands of weeks in the Billboard 5000 charts. Quite an achievement, but the goalposts are ambulatory.

I helped that chart along, I'm sure. I've owned at least 7 copies of the album, on various formats. Including a 5.1 surround mix that's never been played. I don't have a receiver! I bought it thinking I'd be bothered getting one some day, but I haven't yet...

endacl wrote: »
    People used to quote the fact that it had never slipped from the top 100. Fair play and all that, but charts are kinda meaningless. At some point in the future we'll all be marveling that DSOTM has spent X thousands of weeks in the Billboard 5000 charts. Quite an achievement, but the goalposts are ambulatory.

I think the unique thing about DSOTM is that it spent so many consecutive weeks (741) in the Billboard Top 200 before dropping out. Sure it will go in and out again, but I don't think any album stayed that long on the 200 after release.

And the charts are important to the people in them ;)

Anyone got any stats to indicate that it may end up outselling all other albums in the long run? Surely it must be looking that way at this stage?

Chelon wrote: »
    Anyone got any stats to indicate that it may end up outselling all other albums in the long run? Surely it must be looking that way at this stage?

Not if you take Thriller into consideration.

• Advertisement
Advertisement