Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

o1s1n wrote: »
    No Man's Sky has me totally hooked at the moment.

I remember thinking it looked intriguing but then it came out and everyone was giving out about how bad it was, so I never gave it a go.

I am guessing some modern patches must have been released since then as it's bloody brilliant. Quite unusual for me to be so engrossed in a modern game.

Therrs a mini doc on YouTube I watched about it a while ago. Very interesting. That studio was flooded and everything. Literally went through hell but just pushed on and eventually made an absolutely top notch game

Shows the dangers of over hype with games.

Wonder when cyberpunk will get good?

Playing Truxton! One of Toaplans shooters (Fireshark, Hellfire, Zero Wing).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

TheRealRuu wrote: »
    Playing Truxton! One of Toaplans shooters (Fireshark, Hellfire, Zero Wing).

Four of the best reasons to own a Megadrive.
    I have them all on cart (though Truxton is a repro... sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Tipping away through Light Crusader on the Mega Drive and also starting Dead Space again on ps3.

Any one any suggestions on a Switch game to play looking for something that can just pick up for 30 minutes and just switch off whilst playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Burzum wrote: »
    Any one any suggestions on a Switch game to play looking for something that can just pick up for 30 minutes and just switch off whilst playing.

i see what you did there and i like it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Burzum wrote: »
    Tipping away through Light Crusader on the Mega Drive and also starting Dead Space again on ps3.

I'd say Picross but it's now not a 30 minute pick up and play game for me. It's a lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd say Picross but it's now not a 30 minute pick up and play game for me. It's a lifestyle.

Never heard of that one will have a look, ty for the suggestion.

tiny link

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Started playing Live a Live. Was always curious about this game but never played it. The recent retronauts podcast piqued my interest.

It's a Squaresoft SNES rpg that never got released outside of Japan. Looks very basic, FF4 levels, but it's actually a very late SNES RPG.

It's a very interesting game. You can pick from 7 protagonists at the start and they all have weird experimental mechanics that change up how the game works. I've finished the caveman section (a RPG but with no dialogue) and the wrestler (just 6 boss fights but it's a bit like megaman in you have to plan out who to take out first to gain their abilities). There's other weird ones like a cowboy that plays a bit like high noon and even a proto walking simulator.

The game isn't perfect but each chapter is short enough that its quirks never get annoying. Each chapter also seems very unique so it's a fresh start every time. Not sure how it's all going to fit together at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I've seen that recommended several times on SNESDrunk's videos and keep meaning to give it a shot. It looks like a real interesting take on the genre.

I've also been playing a lot of Devil World on the Famicom and Waverace 64 on N64. The former is a weird Pacman style game - an early Miyamoto title and it's a good laugh.

Waverace 64 is a classic.

It's not the most amazing RPG in the world, although I hear some protagonists are really good. However you can gloss over the flaws because each scenario is pretty short and the changing mechanics are fascinating. It's also good that t can be played in short bursts due to the chapter based set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Any of you guys give Mizzurna Falls a go on the PS1 now that it's been translated? Always wanted to give it a bash. Twin Peaks vibes abound.

Can download the translation pack here.

https://projectmizzurna.tumblr.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Any of you guys give Mizzurna Falls a go on the PS1 now that it's been translated? Always wanted to give it a bash. Twin Peaks vibes abound.

Can download the translation pack here.

https://projectmizzurna.tumblr.com/

Was it not already translated? I was looking into it last year at some point when there was talk about it, think the translation got pulled or something along those lines and never got around to downloading it. Definitely want to check it out, one of the first open world games apparently? Anything Twin Peaks like has my interest.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Was it not already translated? I was looking into it last year at some point when there was talk about it, think the translation got pulled or something along those lines and never got around to downloading it. Definitely want to check it out, one of the first open world games apparently? Anything Twin Peaks like has my interest.

It was almost translated but there was a whole heap of internet drama around it.

Played some Magic Carpet last night. The gog release is weird as you have to keep increasing and decreasing the virtual CPU speed to try and get the game running at a decent speed.

It's a weird game. It seems really complicated but it's only because it's so different from any thing else. It's actually quite simple once you get into it.

You basically place a castle down and collect mana from enemies to increase the size of your castle.

The problem is you have another wizard trying to take mana for their castle. So it's a game about prioritising castle defense and mana gathering with an annoying little arsehole hounding you the whole time.

For a 1994 game it's very advanced. Each level is a small little open world. It's also go some nice graphical effects. It has anti aliasing, undulating water, shadows, deformable terrain and reflections that are distorted by the movement of the water.

My only memory of that game is Karl Kennedy and his kids playing that on Neighbours.

Master of the Universe

My only memory of that game is Karl Kennedy and his kids playing that on Neighbours.

Haha I was literally just about to post that! Never played it, only remember it from one of the kids playing it on Neighbours. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Played some Magic Carpet last night. The gog release is weird as you have to keep increasing and decreasing the virtual CPU speed to try and get the game running at a decent speed.

It's a weird game. It seems really complicated but it's only because it's so different from any thing else. It's actually quite simple once you get into it.

You basically place a castle down and collect mana from enemies to increase the size of your castle.

The problem is you have another wizard trying to take mana for their castle. So it's a game about prioritising castle defense and mana gathering with an annoying little arsehole hounding you the whole time.

For a 1994 game it's very advanced. Each level is a small little open world. It's also go some nice graphical effects. It has anti aliasing, undulating water, shadows, deformable terrain and reflections that are distorted by the movement of the water.

I had it on the Playstation and played it to completion, never played the multiplayer though.
    But it was amazing, and the controls are... idiosyncratic to be sure, but many games were, in those days.
    The visuals felt old even then, the draw distance appalling, but then you got to handle some of the more serious spells later on, and tear up the landscape and enemy castles, very satisfying!

They tried using the game engine again, in Hi-Octane, a sci-fi racing game, but that was in the era of Wipeout and F-Zero X, and it was hopelessly obsolete then, without even the novel hook of Magic Carpet to make it worth playing.

I got Hi-Octane with my first PC, a pentium 100 from Gateway. It was garbage.

The controls seem weird now but it's just mouse look and WASD but you use the arrow keys which isn't ideal. Not sure how they managed that on a PS1 controller. I imagine poorly.

I got Hi-Octane with my first PC, a pentium 100 from Gateway. It was garbage.

The controls seem weird now but it's just mouse look and WASD but you use the arrow keys which isn't ideal. Not sure how they managed that on a PS1 controller. I imagine poorly.

Yes,
    It was part of the EA investment in the 3DO, when Trip Hawkins mates back in his old company put a lot of bucks into his new project.
    Magic Carpet, High Octane and a ton of other titles, High Octane was lousy even then, but Magic Carpet was fantastic

Hi Octane was a Gateway 2000 staple.

I’ve been having a Nintendo 64 renaissance. Mostly Waverace 64, but also some Starfox 64. This reminds me of going for medals on stages instead of studying for the leaving cert. I think I gave my poor Dad a terrible time that year.

It’s funny playing it now with the Crucible snooker on TV. That reminds me of studying for college exams but really watching Stephen Hendry be amazing.

attachment.php?attachmentid=551819&d=1619735836

• Advertisement

Is the N64 NTSC or PAL?
    I used to ignore such things, once upon a time, but it makes a massive difference.
    The 50Hz really hurts N64 games, especially Waverace 64, that game is a whole new amazing title when it is played on an NTSC N64, the waves go from turgid custard to refreshing water, if you can find the Japanese only version with rumble support it's even better.

Damn,

Now I want to go home and play Waverace 64!

Master of the Universe

That really is a gorgeous setup you have there, is that one of those fancy garden shed things? Looks really cosy!

That really is a gorgeous setup you have there, is that one of those fancy garden shed things? Looks really cosy!

Indeed, we demand a Youtube tour!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is the N64 NTSC or PAL?

50Hz garbage.

Wouldn't mind, you had a chance to get a great in box japanese N64. Thankfully you're misguided almost scientologist love of 50Hz meant I managed to pick it up off your brother :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Yeah that wood panelling is quite nice, looks like a cosy spot indeed!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is the N64 NTSC or PAL?
    I used to ignore such things, once upon a time, but it makes a massive difference.
    The 50Hz really hurts N64 games, especially Waverace 64, that game is a whole new amazing title when it is played on an NTSC N64, the waves go from turgid custard to refreshing water, if you can find the Japanese only version with rumble support it's even better.

Damn,

Now I want to go home and play Waverace 64!

It's PAL, but the Everdrive will boot NTSC games at the proper speed, thankfully.

I bought my NTSC N64 already RGB modded back in the day and the picture is a bit dull, but S-Video on that one does the job!

I've got a Japanese copy too, but it's not the rumble version unfortunately.

Yeah, it's a pre financial crisis era "sheomra". It came with the house and spent years full of junk, but I've been sorting it out as we have a kid on the way.

The other side is a disaster, bikes, tools, leftover stuff from painting the house etc etc.

50Hz garbage.

Wouldn't mind, you had a chance to get a great in box japanese N64. Thankfully you're misguided almost scientologist love of 50Hz meant I managed to pick it up off your brother :pac:

I have an NTSC N64, and an Everdrive 64 with the right region chip on-board, as well as a nice little collection of titles, like the aforementioned rumble enhanced Waverace, just sublime

I've been playing some Famicom lately, working through Megaman 2 and Crackout on my new FDS. It's an okay clone.

It's a weird one though, if I hit reset on the titles screen, it resets, if I hit reset on the save load screen, the screen corrupts, if I reset in-game the screen is a pale grey.

I don't think the FDS is at fault, there's a memory test mode that passes and the game loads and saves no bother. I'm guessing the disk is corrupted somehow.

I'll be able to try in more detail when SMB2 arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭Inviere

Inviere wrote: »
    I'm about a quarter of the way into The Last of Us 2. No complaints with it so far, the narrative is what I half expected it to be, the voice acting superb, world building is superb, graphics are a nice jump up from the remaster of part 1 (though I do miss those frames in 60Hz), there's a few map parts now that 'mimic' an open world feeling (though I can live without 99% of open world games really), and the game feels like it gives you a purpose in what you're doing. Maybe that changes later on? Or maybe I just like the game? Anyhoo....

So, finished the game last weekend. It took me a lot longer than I wanted to because a) it's a bloody long game, and b) I probably only get a handful of hours a week to sink into games. Thoughts on it....
    It was a gripping game for me, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Once again, the world building was just mesmerising in terms of detail and atmosphere. They absolutely nailed nature reclaiming the land & buildings, the different environments in decay, the weather, the lighting, the sounds....all truly top class for me.

Emotionally, the game really grabbed me too. Joel's death at the start for brutal, and visceral. Having 'got to know Joel' all through the first game, understanding his choices, knowing his motives, etc, made his sudden and viscous murder a veritable shot gun blast to the chest. Setting out then as Ellie when the game got going, the game succeeded in making me want revenge for Joel at any cost. Throughout much of Ellie's side of the game, I had a singular focus in reaching Abby, and making her pay for what she done.

Unexpectedly then (as I went in blind), the game goes back three days, and tells you Abby's story. It showed why she murdered Joel, and while I still didn't agree with what she did, and I still didn't like her as a character, I could at least understand her motives - which tie directly to Retr0's biggest complaint with the first game - you HAVE to kill the surgeon to save Ellie, a complaint I share, and one with carries through into the second game.

Playing for some time with Abby, you kinda get to know her...I still never really felt I 'liked' her at that stage...she's a pretty cold hard-ass soldier, but then that all changes when she has encounters Lev & Yara. They save her life, and end up having a big impact on her. She can't reconcile that she left them to fend for themselves, and eventually goes back to help them - this definitely has a humanising effect on her character, and I started to warm to her a bit. Helping Lev & Yara cost her everything in the end, but she did the right thing, and proved she wasn't as cold as we initially thought.

Then came the confrontation with Ellie & Abby, & I felt a big incongruity here. Playing Abby, the game forced me to confront Ellie, and that was something I didn't want to do. I had to keep reminding myself that I'm playing a written story, and free will wasn't part of that. I suppose the narrative is so overarching, so knitted together, and pretty much game-defining, that adding branching paths into the game would be an enormous undertaking.

I felt Abby's part in the game was perhaps slightly padded & overly long, & I was glad to get back to Ellie's story for the final haul. Again, Ellie needed closure on Joel's death, and for her, there was only one way to do that - to seek and kill Abby. At this stage, the game had gotten the message about revenge through to me, and I felt Ellie should have stayed with Dina, and rebuilt herself. She doesn't though, and eventually finds Abby for the final showdown - ultimately Ellie can't go through with killing Abby thankfully, but the fight cost her her final link to Joel (the loss of fingers, and the ability to play the guitar he taught her to play).

For all its flaws, again, I really loved it. It was an emotionally gripping game, the world drew me in, the characters all came across as very human, the graphics were fantastic, the score brilliant....but the narrative became so all-encompassing, that the infected very quickly became minor distractions, in the way of sheer anger and revenge. I suppose in that sense, if the game is for you, it's for you, and if it's not, you're not gonna like it at all.

Next modern game for me in a few weeks will be Uncharted 3 :)

• Advertisement

This simply cannot be allowed to continue. I just won't let it go on!

I vow that I will finally stop letting Duck Tales on the NES kick my ass and beat it this weekend or my internet handle isn't retr0gamer!

Advertisement