Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Inviere wrote: »
    Needs a NSFC tag (not suitable for Ciderman)

Funnily enough I've been trying to get the Beats of Rage -Golden Axe -Myth port working over the last day or so , as its supposed to be better than the originals .

Playing a bugger of a shmup. Hellfire, very underrated. Got it CIB too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Inviere

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As for Sonic CD, there's past, present and future stages with a good future if you destroy the machine in the past. The levels have sign posts labelled with the time/era that you activate by running past and you change era by gaining enough speed and holding that speed for a few seconds.

Apparently getting all the chaos emeralds is an alternative way to get the best ending as it turns all futures to the good future.

I ended up watching the DF Retro on Sonic CD, very much worth the watch (as is so much of their content, I'm a genuine John Linneman fanboy :o). The concept sounds pretty good actually, save the past to save the future etc. For anyone interested...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The concept sounds pretty good actually, save the past to save the future etc.

Playing and enjoying it is the hard part :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

TheRealRuu wrote: »
    Playing a bugger of a shmup. Hellfire, very underrated. Got it CIB too!

Hellfire, I used to play it in the arcades and I have always owned a copy of the game for the Megadrive.
    I don't think it was ever under-rated though.
    The problem is the embarrassment of great shooters on the Megadrive means that on any top ten list it might slip off the end!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hellfire was highly regarded on the megadrive, it's just slipped off the radar especially with bullet hell taking over and some 'fans' turning their nose up at traditional shoot'em ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Finished Sonic Advance last night, fun game but the first half was the most enjoyable, some of the areas got very tedious towards the end i found

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

I ended up watching the DF Retro on Sonic CD, very much worth the watch (as is so much of their content, I'm a genuine John Linneman fanboy :o). The concept sounds pretty good actually, save the past to save the future etc. For anyone interested...

Sonic CD has always been a guilty pleasure, for me. A very enjoyable game. Here's a really nice upscale of the intro that was recently released...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The 'Sonic Boom' tune from CD is Sonic the Hedgehog's 2nd greatest contribution to entertainment, right behind Sonic Colours.

I recall how quickly CD lost its status as an underappreciated gem the minute it got a digital re-release, turns out we were appreciating it the appropriate amount the whole time. It's interesting as a sort of alternate world sequel to Sonic 1 but it throws too many ideas into the pot without really taking the time to see which one is working out and what's actually fun to play. Wacky Workbench is, at least, 2 drafts away from being a level ready to ship.

Still, though, absolute banger of a tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Relikk wrote: »
    Sonic CD has always been a guilty pleasure, for me. A very enjoyable game. Here's a really nice upscale of the intro that was recently released...

Had a 'whats this music' moment while viewing that, seems that was the US version while the JAP/EUR versions are the same?
    SonicCD was great, I think Ciderman might have bought it for me in the mid'90s :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Been playing Willow off and on the last while. I had to turn on the "allow magic to continue" option because you're doomed in the later levels otherwise. On 2 continues I've made it as far as Bavmorda boss where I get hammered.

What I like about it is that it follows the film very closely, even down to the snow mountain, falling off the board and turning into a giant snowball. Some great music tracks (and one or two terrible ones!).

Still not sure what everything does in the shop because I like to play these games blind without tips and all that.

So, recommended to give it a go. It's a very good platform game that never appeared outside the arcade and deserves a bit of attention :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Booted up Wild Guns on the Switch having never even really heard of it... and it’s rather bloody good isn’t it? The dodge mechanics are *chef’s kiss*

Booted up Wild Guns on the Switch having never even really heard of it... and it’s rather bloody good isn’t it? The dodge mechanics are *chef’s kiss*

It's fantastic and the remake is even better.

You should give the Ninja Warriors remake by the same people a go as well. It takes one of the secret best SNES beat'em ups and makes it into one of the secret best games of the last 10 years.

Just while the topic of Sonic is recent here, I discovered yesterday the 'definitive' way to play Sonic 1 & 2 has now been ported to PC. The coding wizard Christian Whitehead made his own engine for the two games, but they were only released on mobile I think. That's now changed :)

https://www.retrorgb.com/sonic-1-and-2-mobile-remasters-are-now-on-pc.html

Sonic 1 & 2 in glorious widescreen! (there are a few bugs still on the to-do list though)

^^ links to the (legal) code is above, but you'll need to provide the engine with the game data files harvested from their respective apk's. Having played both this morning, they're excellent....very much as good (if not better) than an official release.

I've also just heard of Sonic 3 AIR (Angle Island Revisited)...a fan made remaster of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Just tried it there, seems pretty much on the button. I'm not a fan of the filtered artwork in the video below (nasty filter being used), but thankfully that's optional :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You should give the Ninja Warriors remake by the same people a go as well. It takes one of the secret best SNES beat'em ups and makes it into one of the secret best games of the last 10 years.

I’m usually not a big fan of beat em ups, but looking at this one it’s on a flat 2D plain which actually makes it far more appealing to me :pac: See it’s on sale on Switch so might give it a gander.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭paul79

Ninja warriors on the switch is an excellent game I really enjoyed never had it on the Snes ,
    I ordered Dragons crown on the vita had never heard of it up until last week looks really good.
    Anyone getting the new ghost n goblins game I love them even tho they are so difficult, Disappointing there is no physical release of this , My favorite is super G n G I still play it on the snes mini .

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't heard of that remake at all.

It's 50% off now too, so only comes to 8 euro on the SA store -yoink!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

I've been getting in a few Sega Ages games on the switch. Virtua Racing and Space Harrier. Missing the deluxe cabinets, not missing the expensive continues.....

Willow beaten to death, ive been playing ghouls n ghosts. Having grown up with the megadrive version it's great to see all the extra details, very good looking game.

One thing for sure is that it's a lot easier than ghosts n goblins. Still not easy though!

• Advertisement

I can beat Ghouls n' Ghosts on the lower dipswitch setting but ghosts n' goblins is just insanity to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Absolutely loving The Ninja Saviors, shades of Linn from AVP from Kunoichi.

Yeah played through it the other day to see what was on offer and it’s good fun for sure - fast and tight gameplay. Only issue is the last boss has a gimmick that’s FAR easier to overcome with some characters than others.

It's amazing how good it is when you compare it to the arcade origin which is one of those gimmick games that relies on the 3 screen wide display. It's very plain but the snes game makes it so much better.

I can beat Ghouls n' Ghosts on the lower dipswitch setting but ghosts n' goblins is just insanity to me.

The red demon's in ghosts n goblins are a real challenge to get by, such a classic game though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,594 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Couple of golden oldies

20160829-121916.jpg

Beat ghouls n ghosts with 1 extra credit, would have done it in one go if I hadn't picked up the shield on the second run through. Close but no cigar.

After Willow and g'ng I went looking for another platformer. Dug out Legend of Hero Tonma, board was one dirty duck. Cleaned it up and used those Sega legs (which are great!) to properly separate the boards. Works grand after all this time, that was a relief. Hadn't properly given it a go till now, actually pretty great!

IMG-20210223-213804-8.jpg

IMG-20210223-214528-9.jpg

Having given Tonma more than a few go's I can safely say it's much harder than it looks. The "enter initials" screen has quite funky music, and I've seen it many, many times :p

So if you fancy a challenge, give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Playing Devil World for the famicom, not a bad little game.

• Advertisement

Been playing Radiant Silvergun most nights of the week. Just a quick go. Very disappointed with how bad I've become at the game. I could get to stage 3 the odd time on one credit. Now I can get to the middle of stage 2 with the 4 credits I've got.

Going to keep playing it and racking up credits (you get one for every hour you play) and try to finish it. Been on a Treasure buzz lately.

I remember when Radiant Silvergun was considered one of the best if not the best shmup ever but it seems to be fashionable to hate it now especially with bullet hell shooters taking over. Well it's still my favourite shooter of all time and far better than any bullet hell shooter in my eyes. It's up there with other contenders like G-Darius. I just love the variety and inventiveness of radiant silverguns attack patterns, only the later Darius games come close.

Advertisement