Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Playing Ducktales on the NES. As someone that didn't grow up with this game it's kicking my ass.

Also playing Turtles on the the NES..... I thought this game had infinite continues.... you have 2

2!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Been playing Radiant Silvergun most nights of the week. Just a quick go. Very disappointed with how bad I've become at the game. I could get to stage 3 the odd time on one credit. Now I can get to the middle of stage 2 with the 4 credits I've got.

Going to keep playing it and racking up credits (you get one for every hour you play) and try to finish it. Been on a Treasure buzz lately.

I remember when Radiant Silvergun was considered one of the best if not the best shmup ever but it seems to be fashionable to hate it now especially with bullet hell shooters taking over. Well it's still my favourite shooter of all time and far better than any bullet hell shooter in my eyes. It's up there with other contenders like G-Darius. I just love the variety and inventiveness of radiant silverguns attack patterns, only the later Darius games come close.

Great post, I played it myself recently - I was testing my Xbox 360 and PS3 before putting them in storage and fired up the XBLA version for a "quick go" and spent hours on it.

Once I get my Saturn in order again I'm gonna start playing it again for real on my CRT.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I tried playing the 360 version but went back to Saturn. The issue I have with the 360 version is that instead of getting an extra credit for each hour you get an extra life..... I'll never one cc the game and one life extra isn't going to get me to the end in one lifetime. Otherwise it's a fantastic conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Fresh from the crypt, it's a nice condition teenage mutant Ninja turtles pcb from Konami. It has the two player ROMs and a solid beat em up all round. Spam the jump+hit button to take out enemies in one shot. I believe the cartoon was actually made in Dublin of all places?

I was reminded of it because I got a bunch of original arcade artwork (to be delivered) and one of the few games mentioned was the turtles. Very curious to see what else turns up in the mystery box :)

IMG-20210405-201043-9.jpg

IMG-20210405-202609-4.jpg

Gradius wrote: »
    I believe the cartoon was actually made in Dublin of all places?

Yep animated here. Lots of animation talent in Dublin due to Don Bluth's presence and still has quite a few active courses.

I used to do security in the digital hub and one of the places I had to check at night was the animation studio that animated the turtles. They had animation cels on the walls.

I know they did an episode in Dublin as well. Not very realistic though as it had the turtle van driving down the quays past the halfpenny bridge and not getting stuck in traffic.

• Advertisement

Yep animated here. Lots of animation talent in Dublin due to Don Bluth's presence and still has quite a few active courses.

I used to do security in the digital hub and one of the places I had to check at night was the animation studio that animated the turtles. They had animation cels on the walls.

I know they did an episode in Dublin as well. Not very realistic though as it had the turtle van driving down the quays past the halfpenny bridge and not getting stuck in traffic.

That's really cool! I don't even know where I picked up that rumour but it's a fact now.

"Teenage Mutant Dublin Turtles" :p

It's one of the last 2 cabinets I want to get, the "UK version" cabinet, not the American one with the longer control panel. It's goofier looking but that's the one me and friends used to play all the time. The Dublin link makes it 1% cooler too. Okay, 3%.

That's really cool! I don't even know where I picked up that rumour but it's a fact now.

It's one of the last 2 cabinets I want to get, the "UK version" cabinet, not the American one with the longer control panel. It's goofier looking but that's the one me and friends used to play all the time. The Dublin link makes it 1% cooler too. Okay, 3%.

They had cels for a lot of other shows you would think were animated outside Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Is the other one Killer Instinct

• Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Fresh from the crypt, it's a nice condition teenage mutant Ninja turtles pcb from Konami. It has the two player ROMs and a solid beat em up all round. Spam the jump+hit button to take out enemies in one shot. I believe the cartoon was actually made in Dublin of all places?

What a game! The last time I took my Turtles PCB out, a random capacitor fell off the board :eek:

I swiftly put it back in it's box and haven't gone near it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

o1s1n wrote: »
    What a game! The last time I took my Turtles PCB out, a random capacitor fell off the board :eek:

I swiftly put it back in it's box and haven't gone near it since.
    I've recently been given a 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 - Turtles In Time' PCB that looks like it needs EPROMs. Worth fixing? (as in game play rather than monies)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I've recently been given a 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 - Turtles In Time' PCB that looks like it needs EPROMs. Worth fixing? (as in game play rather than monies)

If you're into side scrolling beat em ups it's great fun. I love them myself, pure 90s nostalgia.

On a side point, it's also worth a fair few quid, so definitely worth fixing for that reason alone.

The Arcade game is 4 player which is the main selling point. The SNES version though is greatly expanded and would be the preferred way to play it in one or two player.

Played and finished FF Adventure/Mystic Quest at the weekend. Great little handheld Zelda type game with some JRPG trappings.

I had an 'Ah ha! That's the game!' moment.

For some reason on of the gamesmaster tricks and tips sections stands out in my mind. A kid was asking the games master for help with a top down zelda type game on the gameboy. The tip was to do a figure of 8 around two palm trees in the desert area. Sure enough this stupidly obtuse puzzle was from this game!

Is the other one Killer Instinct

Yep, turtles and killer instinct. Top of the list.

They could be mine, but they're way out of line (with my front door)

I'll get them eventually!

About capacitors falling off, worth fixing.

About turtles in time, yep it's certainly worth fixing up too, good game.

Never played any of the final fantasy games, but mentioning Zelda I found out there's a golden Axe rpg that's basically Zelda, supposed to be quite decent too.

For all you dickheads that grew up with a NES, Ducktales isn't that bloody easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm about a quarter of the way into The Last of Us 2. No complaints with it so far, the narrative is what I half expected it to be, the voice acting superb, world building is superb, graphics are a nice jump up from the remaster of part 1 (though I do miss those frames in 60Hz), there's a few map parts now that 'mimic' an open world feeling (though I can live without 99% of open world games really), and the game feels like it gives you a purpose in what you're doing. Maybe that changes later on? Or maybe I just like the game? Anyhoo....

Retr0, have you ever played/beaten Super Mario Bros 2 - the original Jap FDS version? How does it compare to the Lost Levels version? I'm half tempted to try it at some stage, and while the Lost Levels version looks tough.....it doesn't look like it makes you want to jump off a cliff in the way the FDS version does? Has the Lost Levels version been toned down a bit in terms of difficulty?

Inviere wrote: »
    I'm about a quarter of the way into The Last of Us 2. No complaints with it so far, the narrative is what I half expected it to be, the voice acting superb, world building is superb, graphics are a nice jump up from the remaster of part 1 (though I do miss those frames in 60Hz), there's a few map parts now that 'mimic' an open world feeling (though I can live without 99% of open world games really), and the game feels like it gives you a purpose in what you're doing. Maybe that changes later on? Or maybe I just like the game? Anyhoo....

Starts ok. Then doesn't go anywhere. And the characters are morons. And then never ends....

It's not bad. Just massively disappointing. I actaully really enjoyed the gameplay. It was everything else...
    Retr0, have you ever played/beaten Super Mario Bros 2 - the original Jap FDS version? How does it compare to the Lost Levels version? I'm half tempted to try it at some stage, and while the Lost Levels version looks tough.....it doesn't look like it makes you want to jump off a cliff in the way the FDS version does? Has the Lost Levels version been toned down a bit in terms of difficulty?

I only beat Super Mario Bros recently. That was such a slog that I decided not to try the FDS version of 2 just yet. And also I think I'll be trying Lost Levels instead.

Lost levels is pretty much the same game, no changes and still as cruel just the physics are a little off. The main thing with Lost Levels is the save feature and also accessing the bonus worlds at the end is so much easier. Pretty sure you have to beat all 8 stages warpless with no continues to unlock the first bonus world and then do the same again with the unlock the subsequent ones but have the added objective of the new bonus world. 5 Loops! Lost Levels just lets you do all worlds in one go.

I only beat Super Mario Bros recently. That was such a slog that I decided not to try the FDS version of 2 just yet. And also I think I'll be trying Lost Levels instead.

Nice, did u do a warpless run?

Really not sure what version of SMB2 to play, the purist in me wants to know I beat the original, but the sane person in me wants to play the lost levels instead...

Yeah it was a warpless run. I'm quite proud of myself for doing it. It was quite a challenge that I know how tough Super Mario '**** you' edition will be a nightmare. The whole five loops thing really puts me off. I think I might have to appreciate it from afar with the AGDQ speed runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Nice, did u do a warpless run?

Really not sure what version of SMB2 to play, the purist in me wants to know I beat the original, but the sane person in me wants to play the lost levels instead...

I've played a total of 20 seconds of Lost Levels. My first encounter with that troll mushroom and I said to myself "nah you're grand lad". If it's gonna take the píss out of me in 20 seconds, I can't imagine what the game does for the rest of the run.

• Advertisement

Yeah it was a warpless run. I'm quite proud of myself for doing it. It was quite a challenge that I know how tough Super Mario '**** you' edition will be a nightmare. The whole five loops thing really puts me off. I think I might have to appreciate it from afar with the AGDQ speed runs.

I think if I beat it once, conquer 8-4, that'd be enough for me. I presume the additional loops are just variations, with added masochism?

I've played a total of 20 seconds of Lost Levels. My first encounter with that troll mushroom and I said to myself "nah you're grand lad". If it's gonna take the píss out of me in 20 seconds, I can't imagine what the game does for the rest of the run.

If you think 1-1 is bad, wait until you see the later worlds. It was 100% the right decision to romhack Doki Doki Panic into SMB2

I think if I beat it once, conquer 8-4, that'd be enough for me. I presume the additional loops are just variations, with added masochism?

I think the additional loops are the same game but you unlock Worlds A-D if you reach the end without continuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭accensi0n

For all you dickheads that grew up with a NES, Ducktales isn't that bloody easy!

Completely agree.

It always shows up in lists of 'relatively easy NES games'.

accensi0n wrote: »
    Completely agree.

It always shows up in lists of 'relatively easy NES games'.

Well for a NES game it's not bad. But it's not chip n'dale rescue rangers beat it on your first try easy!

I think the additional loops are the same game but you unlock Worlds A-D if you reach the end without continuing.

So four extra trips through the same game? Going from world 8 to a1-8, then b1-8, then c1-8, then d1-8??

Master of the Universe

No Man's Sky has me totally hooked at the moment.

I remember thinking it looked intriguing but then it came out and everyone was giving out about how bad it was, so I never gave it a go.

I am guessing some modern patches must have been released since then as it's bloody brilliant. Quite unusual for me to be so engrossed in a modern game.

I actually read up on it and it's worse.

Apparently you need to beat the game 8 consecutive times then hold start and press A on the title screen to access world A. You play the game then up to world 9 and once you finish that you will move on to world A. That's 8 consecutive times beating world 9 which is only accessible when you don't use warps and don't die.

At the end of World A you can get to a warp zone to unlock world B and then World C and World D follow.

Each world has 4 levels as usual.

Honestly, **** that.

o1s1n wrote: »
    No Man's Sky has me totally hooked at the moment.

I remember thinking it looked intriguing but then it came out and everyone was giving out about how bad it was, so I never gave it a go.

I am guessing some modern patches must have been released since then as it's bloody brilliant. Quite unusual for me to be so engrossed in a modern game.

It was a joke at launch. Fly to a world, grind materials, fly to next world. The updates gave you stuff to do in each world and made it a whole lot more interesting. It's a totally different game now.

Also on release I had a brand new PC with a 1070 that was top of the range by a few days at the time and it ran in single digit framerates.

• Advertisement

I actually read up on it and it's worse.

Apparently you need to beat the game 8 consecutive times then hold start and press A on the title screen to access world A. You play the game then up to world 9 and once you finish that you will move on to world A. That's 8 consecutive times beating world 9 which is only accessible when you don't use warps and don't die.

At the end of World A you can get to a warp zone to unlock world B and then World C and World D follow.

Each world has 4 levels as usual.

Honestly, **** that.

Lol, suffice it to say that won't be happening. What were they actually thinking with that, really like?

Advertisement