Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Fitness Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Cole wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly.

Oh that doesn't sound healthy.

All of these deadlift variations pose more potential problems than benefits imo. I've just started to stick with a good old fashioned conventional deadlift and try to get/keep my form right on that each time...too many injuries/twinges doing variations (RDL being the worst) convinced me.

There is nothing wrong with deadlift variations.

The problems arise when you do them incorrectly and load that.

Doing an RDL, a deficit deadlift etc pose no problem when done with correct form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

new2tri19 wrote: »
    RDL was on my list to add , my reading is it's a good exercise.
    There is nothing wrong with deadlift variations.

The problems arise when you do them incorrectly and load that.

Doing an RDL, a deficit deadlift etc pose no problem when done with correct form

I never said there was anything wrong with the RDL or any other DL variation.

I never said there was anything wrong with the RDL or any other DL variation.

You said they pose more potential problems than benefits. That reads like you saying there is something wrong with them.

The potential problems are the same as you have with a conventional deadlift.

If you meant to say you find them a problem for you, then that's different.

My thoughts exactly.

Oh that doesn't sound healthy.

All of these deadlift variations pose more potential problems than benefits imo. I've just started to stick with a good old fashioned conventional deadlift and try to get/keep my form right on that each time...too many injuries/twinges doing variations (RDL being the worst) convinced me.
    You said they pose more potential problems than benefits. That reads like you saying there is something wrong with them.

The potential problems are the same as you have with a conventional deadlift.

If you meant to say you find them a problem for you, then that's different.

See above

All of these deadlift variations pose more potential problems than benefits imo.

Saying 'imo' reads as though that's your opinion on the variations in general rather than them being an exercise that you just have a problem doing.

But you've clarified that you chose to avoid DL variations for those reasons and that you weren't saying they're riskier exercises in general so that's fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

It's the problem with modern communication things don't read the same in text as if you where just chatting to someone. But everyone means well I'm sure , it's a helpful thread.
    Don't do 5 inch deficits is unambiguously clear though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,023 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's the problem with modern communication things don't read the same in text as if you where just chatting to someone.
    Saying “convinced me” at the end of the paragraph doesn’t change the meaning of the first sentence though. I think Alf’s interpretation was reasonable, that’s exactly how I read it. That “variations pose more risk”. It may not be what you meant, but it’s what it said.

But agree completely that 5” is extreme and probably no longer a deadlift. More a low hack squat.

It's the problem with modern communication things don't read the same in text as if you where just chatting to someone. But everyone means well I'm sure , it's a helpful thread.
    Don't do 5 inch deficits is unambiguously clear though :)

I think so. I think the DL (and variations) is such a technical movement and it's so important to get every part of the lift as spot on as possible...to avoid injuries that might end up preventing you from actually being able to do the exercise at all in the long run.

My take on it is that when you throw in DL variations, you're having to master another very technical movement and you run the risk of not being as paranoid about form because you're using lighter weight. And there's the issue of just knackering out your lower back from over training it...again possibly leading to injuries...considering you're probably heavy squatting too.

Anyway, each to their own. If they benefit you, go for it. There are so many different approaches to training and I've just figured out what works for me.

My take on it is that when you throw in DL variations, you're having to master another very technical movement and you run the risk of not being as paranoid about form because you're using lighter weight. And there's the issue of just knackering out your lower back from over training it...again possibly leading to injuries...considering you're probably heavy squatting too.

I would disagree for a couple of reasons. You're not learning a whole new movement so the principles of a good deadlift are no different. RDL isn't a massively different movement.

The weight is lighter but that doesn't mean it's not challenging so if you're conscious of form, then the risk of not being conscious of form isn't there.

You shouldn't be knackering your lower back if you are conscious of form. The program doesn't have particularly heavy deadlift variations following squats and he's squatting high bar.

Totally appreciate you don't want to do DL variations and I'm not having a go, to be clear.

I just think, in general, that they are very effective and if you just bear principles of good form in mind, there shouldn't be an issue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I would disagree for a couple of reasons. You're not learning a whole new movement so the principles of a good deadlift are no different. RDL isn't a massively different movement.

The weight is lighter but that doesn't mean it's not challenging so if you're conscious of form, then the risk of not being conscious of form isn't there.

You shouldn't be knackering your lower back if you are conscious of form. The program doesn't have particularly heavy deadlift variations following squats and he's squatting high bar.

Totally appreciate you don't want to do DL variations and I'm not having a go, to be clear.

I just think, in general, that they are very effective and if you just bear principles of good form in mind, there shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, if you can deadlift safely then you can do variations safely - wide grip, deficit, paused, block / rack pull etc. In some ways these movements are even more comparable to a conventional deadlift than an RDL is, but even then an RDL is not so different. As Alf says, general principles.

If you are not confident in the fundamentals of the conventional deadlift, fine, don't do them. But if someone is not out of that novice period after the first year I would probably be looking to tackle that lack of confidence, fill any knowledge gaps etc.

If someone wants to start doing sumo then I think there is a lift that's different enough in approach that it takes a bit of learning. It's a deadlift, but I love the way the forces involved feel so different to conventional! But sure that's a good thing, keeps things interesting.

Worth bearing in mind that injury is not actually lurking behind every corner in the gym, unless you are ego lifting.

In terms of the value of variations in general, even if your main focus is your conventional deadlift, there's no better way to bring along your weak points. I'm weakest off the ground, you can bet I'm hammering those deficit deadlifts. If physique was my goal and I wanted to focus on my quads, same would apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,846 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Can someone recommend gym mats for a carpet floor?

Just going to be used for a treadmill and a rower so not a big amount required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Have to say, the single leg RDL really fecked my left shoulder up

I'm lifting over 20 years and have never had issues deadlifting, even going to 240kg for 3 reps.

Then last year decided to do single leg rdl's. Woke up next day with a pain going from my neck to shoulder, I **** you not it still plagues me on and off to this day.

Sticking with old faithful regular deadlift forever more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭JohnMcm1

italodisco wrote: »
    Have to say, the single leg RDL really fecked my left shoulder up

I'm lifting over 20 years and have never had issues deadlifting, even going to 240kg for 3 reps.

Then last year decided to do single leg rdl's. Woke up next day with a pain going from my neck to shoulder, I **** you not it still plagues me on and off to this day.

Sticking with old faithful regular deadlift forever more

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

How in the name of god would the load used for a single leg deadlift affect your shoulder more so than doing a regular DL triple with 240 lol.

JohnMcm1 wrote: »
    How did you arrive at that conclusion?

How in the name of god would the load used for a single leg deadlift affect your shoulder more so than doing a regular DL triple with 240 lol.

Absolutely no idea, but my warm up was as good as always and it was my first time ever bothering with the rdl.

Might possibly have been the one handed element, shoulder might not have liked it. Only time I'd have had a 40kg dumbell in my hands would have been shoulder pressing and bench pressing.

Might just have been coincidence. Odd that it picked that moment though

Absolutely no idea, but my warm up was as good as always and it was my first time ever bothering with the rdl.

Might possibly have been the one handed element, shoulder might not have liked it. Only time I'd have had a 40kg dumbell in my hands would have been shoulder pressing and bench pressing.

Has to be coincidence sure you had 240kg hanging from your shoulder girdle before.

JohnMcm1 wrote: »
    Has to be coincidence sure you had 240kg hanging from your shoulder girdle before.

I know, but 2 hands on the bar and a more locked in position.

I think the single dumbell may have caused bad form regarding scapula position. Feck it too late now lol

I haven't gone beyond 210 deadlift in the last year, I'm extremely nervous and aware of that dicky shoulder now

Dumbell bench the same, I can feel the shoulder once I hit 60kg dumbells, that and the fact one of them broke the new garden office floor!!!!

I know, but 2 hands on the bar and a more locked in position.

I think the single dumbell may have caused bad form regarding scapula position. Feck it too late now lol

I haven't gone beyond 210 deadlift in the last year, I'm extremely nervous and aware of that dicky shoulder now

Dumbell bench the same, I can feel the shoulder once I hit 60kg dumbells, that and the fact one of them broke the new garden office floor!!!!

That's probably your problem there seriously. Any tissue damage would be well healed at this stage! As long as you've worked your way sensibly back up to your former maxes there's no reason it should happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Think this is most likely reason the shoulder went I'd say. Most injuries are an issue of load just exceeding what tissue is conditioned for. 240kg is a lot more total weight, but it's locked against your legs in a regular deadlift so the shoulder demands are different to the hanging nature of the single leg RDL.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I’ve never actually done single leg RDL’s but I always assumed you had both hands on the bar and balanced on one leg

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’ve never actually done single leg RDL’s but I always assumed you had both hands on the bar and balanced on one leg

Both hands on a bar, one hand on a dumbbell.

• Advertisement

My push day once a week is low rep bench, incline, and OHP, followed by higher rep incline dumbbells and some dips.

Is this ok if I basically have nothing to do and am happy to burn time in the gym? Should I keep adding some exercises if I'm feeling ok, or does it start working against you? I'm trying to get some strength going but want hypertrophy and I think what I'm doing is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

My push day once a week is low rep bench, incline, and OHP, followed by higher rep incline dumbbells and some dips.

Is this ok if I basically have nothing to do and am happy to burn time in the gym? Should I keep adding some exercises if I'm feeling ok, or does it start working against you? I'm trying to get some strength going but want hypertrophy and I think what I'm doing is working.

Increasing frequency should serve you well. Some good reading here if you are interested - https://www.strongerbyscience.com/frequency-muscle/

Are you progressing, is the question.

- Has your bench gone up? Or using heavier weights for the assistance and accessory work? Increased reps and sets on that work?

- Have you gained upper body mass?

If not, then yes, you need to change it up. If you are, run it out till you aren’t progressing.

If you’re doing a push, pull, lower body split then that push day should really be quite hard. On an upper lower split or whole body training you would get more frequency.

In general I would also say bench and incline and ohp could be a bit redundant. Maybe bench for your main work sets, then do 3-4 sets of sub maximal higher rep back offs or 3-4 hard sets incline bench OR do OHP. Can rotate this. Then I would personally move on to accessories, heavy tricep work, high rep push ups and side delt if it’s the day to fit it in. I prefer to do two upper body days and push and pull in both though.

As the guys have mentioned, you'll want to up your frequency. Research shows it's definitely better for strength and probably hypertrophy.

What will happen eventually is you'll reach a point where it will be too difficult to do enough quality work in a single session to spur further progress.

Maybe look up some of the programmes we've discussed here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114304405

Sorry, don't mean to be rude. Been busy and have had a look at some of the frequency stuff. Will reply properly Thursday hopefully. Thanks for the posts.

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Increasing frequency should serve you well. Some good reading here if you are interested - https://www.strongerbyscience.com/frequency-muscle/

Increasing frequency is a bit of a tough one. I have lots of free time but only some days a week. I'm balancing a relationship, work, other hobbies, and too much fondness for alcohol.

I won't be working this summer though so I think I'll end up in the gym four or five days a week for two months. Then it would make a lot of sense to move to something more tailored to that. Will look into it.
    Are you progressing, is the question.

- Has your bench gone up? Or using heavier weights for the assistance and accessory work? Increased reps and sets on that work?

- Have you gained upper body mass?

If not, then yes, you need to change it up. If you are, run it out till you aren’t progressing.

If you’re doing a push, pull, lower body split then that push day should really be quite hard. On an upper lower split or whole body training you would get more frequency.

In general I would also say bench and incline and ohp could be a bit redundant. Maybe bench for your main work sets, then do 3-4 sets of sub maximal higher rep back offs or 3-4 hard sets incline bench OR do OHP. Can rotate this. Then I would personally move on to accessories, heavy tricep work, high rep push ups and side delt if it’s the day to fit it in. I prefer to do two upper body days and push and pull in both though.

I've got definite improvement recently. Bench has been going really well since I learned better technique with the back arch, and I learned how to fail in an elegant safe way so I can push myself. Incline feels best though and is my favourite.

My chest took the longest but now it's finally showing properly and is something people have been commenting on recently. I don't look ripped but I look like I work out.

I have zero interest in isolated triceps work for now.. The compound stuff I'm doing is building my arms well. And I hate pushups. I didn't think that combo of flat, overhead, and OHP could be seen as redundant. Will have to look into it more.
    Cill94 wrote: »
    As the guys have mentioned, you'll want to up your frequency. Research shows it's definitely better for strength and probably hypertrophy.

What will happen eventually is you'll reach a point where it will be too difficult to do enough quality work in a single session to spur further progress.

Maybe look up some of the programmes we've discussed here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114304405

Thanks for the links. GZCLP is my goal but last time I tried, I hurt my knee which killed my interest in the gym for ages and I stopped going. Knee is fine now. I think I'll ride out whatever residual newbie gains I have left before switching anything up too much or going to a dedicated program.

My biggest problem at the moment is the squat. I can maintain good form and go all the way down "ass to grass" with the Smith machine but my body refuses to drop even a foot with an unloaded barbell. It's infuriating. Meanwhile I'm in intermediate territory with my deadlift compared to my weight and grip strength is an issue.

Frankly, I barely know what I'm doing. Definite case of I know enough to know how little I know. The PAs here in my gym are basically fitness motivators. I asked one to teach me the main lifts and he wouldn't budge of a general thing that was $800 in total, when all I wanted was a few weeks of tuition and critique of form. They run around free machines or benches with clients and count while helping the lifts. I never see one of their clients remotely close to failure. They're really impressive when they work out but don't care about form when they coach.

I would absolutely love to have a proper trainer for a while, but I think that's hard to find as a foreigner in Vietnam.

My biggest problem at the moment is the squat. I can maintain good form and go all the way down "ass to grass" with the Smith machine but my body refuses to drop even a foot with an unloaded barbell. It's infuriating.

Try squatting to a box. You can drop the height over time as you gain more mobility and strength.

boxsquatphoto1.jpeg

I think you were having similar problems with your squat last year. If you haven't considered remote coaching I think you would be a good candidate for it, for technique fixes and also programming.

As far as doing tricep accessories, there are a couple of reasons you do them. You can't push compounds hard for every exercise in a workout, and if you did then you wouldn't recover. But compound lifts also aren't an efficient way to target particular muscle groups to bring them along for either aesthetic reasons or in order to correct weak points. Compounds and isolation work complement each other, the latter is not a poor cousin to the former.

Tricep work fits in great as accessory work at the end of a push day in particular. Hit tricep extensions (or dips, if you want more of a multi joint exercise) hard and you can still recover, even if you've gone to proximity to failure, and it should also help build the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Increasing frequency is a bit of a tough one. I have lots of free time but only some days a week. I'm balancing a relationship, work, other hobbies, and too much fondness for alcohol.

I won't be working this summer though so I think I'll end up in the gym four or five days a week for two months. Then it would make a lot of sense to move to something more tailored to that. Will look into it.

I've got definite improvement recently. Bench has been going really well since I learned better technique with the back arch, and I learned how to fail in an elegant safe way so I can push myself. Incline feels best though and is my favourite.

My chest took the longest but now it's finally showing properly and is something people have been commenting on recently. I don't look ripped but I look like I work out.

I have zero interest in isolated triceps work for now.. The compound stuff I'm doing is building my arms well. And I hate pushups. I didn't think that combo of flat, overhead, and OHP could be seen as redundant. Will have to look into it more.

Thanks for the links. GZCLP is my goal but last time I tried, I hurt my knee which killed my interest in the gym for ages and I stopped going. Knee is fine now. I think I'll ride out whatever residual newbie gains I have left before switching anything up too much or going to a dedicated program.

My biggest problem at the moment is the squat. I can maintain good form and go all the way down "ass to grass" with the Smith machine but my body refuses to drop even a foot with an unloaded barbell. It's infuriating. Meanwhile I'm in intermediate territory with my deadlift compared to my weight and grip strength is an issue.

Frankly, I barely know what I'm doing. Definite case of I know enough to know how little I know. The PAs here in my gym are basically fitness motivators. I asked one to teach me the main lifts and he wouldn't budge of a general thing that was $800 in total, when all I wanted was a few weeks of tuition and critique of form. They run around free machines or benches with clients and count while helping the lifts. I never see one of their clients remotely close to failure. They're really impressive when they work out but don't care about form when they coach.

I would absolutely love to have a proper trainer for a while, but I think that's hard to find as a foreigner in Vietnam.

Just to provide another angle - It might be worth considering why you are squatting.

There can be a dogmatic narrative in lifting that "any program that doesn't have the classic big 3 is crap."

If your sport of choice is not the Big 3, then find your own Big 3. That might still be the deadlift, squat, and bench... But maybe it is incline bench with partial ROM for 10 reps, SSB Squats with reverse bands, and a trap bar deadlift. Or maybe you find your BIG 5, and it's carries, over head press with a log, heavy pull ups, front squats against bands, and Romanian deadlifts.

Be stuck on exercise outcomes,not on exercise selection.

Using boxes, or a trap bar, etc. you can still get the training effect without risking injury.

• Advertisement

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Just to provide another angle - It might be worth considering why you are squatting.

There can be a dogmatic narrative in lifting that "any program that doesn't have the classic big 3 is crap."

If your sport of choice is not the Big 3, then find your own Big 3. That might still be the deadlift, squat, and bench... But maybe it is incline bench with partial ROM for 10 reps, SSB Squats with reverse bands, and a trap bar deadlift. Or maybe you find your BIG 5, and it's carries, over head press with a log, heavy pull ups, front squats against bands, and Romanian deadlifts.

Be stuck on exercise outcomes,not on exercise selection.

Using boxes, or a trap bar, etc. you can still get the training effect without risking injury.

I agree with some of this but I can't get on board with someone who can't do a full depth squat using reverse band safety bar squats! :D

I also think the whole 'dogmatic' use of big 3 narrative is a wee bit overdone. Sure you don't have to do those exercises, but they are extremely effective and there is more information on them than anything else. I think this issue is more a case of people getting bored of doing the same stuff over and over.

Advertisement