Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

You can only laugh at this! - even the Sahara can manage colder weather than us. :D

ECM0-216.GIF?24-12

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

ARGHHHHHH!

LOL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Carlingford Locked

Why do you all want it to get colder? I hate winter, today is bearable though as I wasn't getting pelted by wind and rain on my cycle in and out of work. I hope it stays like this for a while. I've barely needed the heat so far this winter (if it's even started yet), saves you a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Why do you all want it to get colder? I hate winter, today is bearable though as I wasn't getting pelted by wind and rain on my cycle in and out of work. I hope it stays like this for a while. I've barely needed the heat so far this winter (if it's even started yet), saves you a fortune.

Mild in Winter usually means cloudy conditions which I dislike (though mild and cloudy is better than cold and cloudy). Mild in Winter is normally associated with wind and rain. Love those cold, frosty and sunny days. Cold is often better for the photography too as a result of that. Like seasons being seasonable.

I'm not complaining about the upcoming spell even if it will be cloudy the vast majority of the time because it's superior to the rubbish we have had for many weeks now. Also gives me more time to do things instead of focusing on the current weather.

I feel like this question has been asked to death at this rate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Different cloud levels here in Tralee with some milky blue sky also giving a fair amount of light, much better than yesterdays washout, mild at 11.7C

NASA pic taken a bit earlier.

OQ1nC3n.jpg?1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Carlingford Locked

sryanbruen wrote: »
    cloudy conditions which I dislike

You're in the wrong country for that, so am I. It may be my selective memory, but I have so many memories of my school days in the 80s and 90s where the grass would be hard from frost and I could see the Dublin mountains frozen in the mornings. I've probably just forgotten that it was windy and rainy most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It has been a really dreary autumn/winter in the west. Some days it has been raining/drizzling but it doesn't show up on the radar. Today the lights are on the whole time. It is so dark.

We could really do with some blue skies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

eastern, central and south-eastern Europe looks like it's going into the freezer after New Year's Day. The Atlantic looks like it's going to charge up again for us with possibly a very unsettled and windy first week of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

You're in the wrong country for that, so am I. It may be my selective memory, but I have so many memories of my school days in the 80s and 90s where the grass would be hard from frost and I could see the Dublin mountains frozen in the mornings. I've probably just forgotten that it was windy and rainy most of the time.

I also like the random luck into getting sunny/blue skies, makes me appreciate those days more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Have we learned nothing from the era of knowing about Strat warming?
    Expect the unexpected and IGNORE models beyond 7 to 9 days
    In fact in the run up to new year,IGNORE anything past 5 days

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Gonzo wrote: »
    eastern, central and south-eastern Europe looks like it's going into the freezer after New Year's Day. The Atlantic looks like it's going to charge up again for us with possibly a very unsettled and windy first week of January.

Hi Gonzo, the new year is 8 days away. I'd stick to the reliable (4-5 days) , we have a settled week ahead with high pressure firmly in charge.........the models are currently struggling. I'm far from convinced we will have a wet, mild and windy first week of January!

Happy Xmas everyone!

D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Have we learned nothing from the era of knowing about Strat warming?
    Expect the unexpected and IGNORE models beyond 7 to 9 days
    In fact in the run up to new year,IGNORE anything past 5 days

The Atlantic coming back is in FI with a week to go, even if it works out, it looks like it's going to be certainly cooler than it is this week, perhaps wintry showers at times mixed in with it.

I'm not expecting the benefits of the Strat warming to hit us till week 3 or 4 in January, which would be perfect timing for a proper easterly blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

The Atlantic coming back is in FI with a week to go, even if it works out, it looks like it's going to be certainly cooler than it is this week, perhaps wintry showers at times mixed in with it.

I'm not expecting the benefits of the Strat warming to hit us till week 3 or 4 in January, which would be perfect timing for a proper easterly blast.

I'm with you there Gonzo, I think the period 15th-25th January is the key time for cold/snow with the effects of the strat warming being felt around then

D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Assuming we initially get a displacement, then a proper split, you would expect that to happen before the effects of the warming propagate down to the Troposphere. So the models may play around with various wild solutions, before hopefully eye candy charts start showing up in fi from around the 4th of January onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Cos if we don't get it bad in winter, it usually arrives in summer - I know which scenario I prefer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭acequion

Not wanting to fight with people at this time of year BUT am in front of the family xmas tree,sitting a mile back fro the tiny fire, wearing a t.shirt and sweating. And wondering how the hell anyone thinks this is great :confused:

Sorry, but most likely we'll have the same temps in June! I hate it. Give me a proper winter and a proper summer any day. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭droidman123

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Seems to me that MT's prediction for December is completely off.

Stick around dude,theres people on here that think they can forecast irelands weather 3 months in advance,i kid you not

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Happy Christmas all,

Blessedly calm and mild.... enjoyed a long walk with the quiet ocean on both sides yesterday and hoping to do the same today...
    a real pleasure
    west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Happy Christmas Graces7 and everyone in the weather forum ...it's a foggy Misty morning in cork city ...lucky Rudolph was around last night

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Good morning and happy Christmas to everyone, it's an overcast but mild morning here in West Clare, good weather for a nice hungover head like mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Happy xmas and a thank you to those who put up the forecasts and the various pictures etc.

It would be lovely to get a couple of good weeks weather between now and the kids going back. It makes getting outdoors so much easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Happy Christmas everybody in the weather forum! Foggy misty morning again here in cork city, warm enough too and humid (not great for the headaches but I’ll survive :) ). Hope Santa was nice to all of us in here after the brilliant forecasting throughout 2018

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Happy Christmas to all, enjoy the turkey !

OCZPooN.gif

Happy Christmas everyone, Hope everyone is having a great day!.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭acequion

Happy xmas to all. While I hate this weather I do love xmas. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Can I ask why we have such warm weather? is this jet stream related or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

Chong wrote: »
    Can I ask why we have such warm weather? is this jet stream related or what?

We’re just blessed really

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Happy Christmas everyone. We got a dry day. That’s the second best outcome after a cold dry one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

God bless you all. May the storms calm and ice melt quickly in 2019. Sleep well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Its a grand mild christmas night out.
    hope everyone had a wonder full day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

You might be interested to know the forecast max in Moscow tomorrow is -9c
    further east in Russia -19c

just saying

https://twitter.com/NickJF75/status/1077680588373532673?s=09

Advertisement