Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus Eireann - seriously poor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Just to update the thread, I received a reply today from the regional manager of BE Cork, after I forwarded my complaint to the acting CEO of BE, who then CC'd this regional manager.

Below is the explanation;

At Bus Eireann we are aware of the importance of providing an efficient and reliable service which adheres to our scheduled timetable and therefore it is most disappointing to hear of events as described by you.

On Monday, 29th January, 2018, the 07:25 Monkstown/Cork terminated at Parnell Place and did not serve CIT due to a scheduling error. This was a very regrettable occurrence and I certainly apologise for the inconvenience caused to you and for the subsequent disruption to your attendance at college.

On Tuesday, 30th January, 2018, the 07:25 Monkstown/Cork service failed to operate due to a breakdown in service. Whereas every effort was made to allocate replacement resources, unfortunately it was not possible to do so in sufficient time to operate the service and I apologise for the further difficulties caused to you.

Please be assured that I am aware that our customers depend on us to get to their destinations in a timely manner. To experience disruption with our service on two mornings is certainly less than satisfactory and I sincerely regret the impact that this has had on your college attendance. The service will now be closely monitored to underpin reliability and to return this service to a high standard.

May I also assure you that at Bus Eireann customer care is of the utmost importance to us. Bus Eireann staff are expected to engage with customers in a polite and courteous manner at all times. It is very regrettable to hear that you felt our staff did not engage with you in an appropriate manner and I wish to apologise for the further distress caused to you. The staff members in question have been identified and will be interviewed under Bus Eireann procedures.

He also stated when I asked for more detail into the mysterious 'scheduling error' the following;

With reference to the service terminating in Parnell Place Bus Station, our driver was aware that the service operates to CIT, but was instructed by our Service Supervisor to commence operation on another Route. The decision was made by our Service Supervisor and I sincerely regret the inconvenience that this caused.

The driver who left the bus was of the understanding that a second driver would operate the service to CIT and was unaware that the service would not continue on route. However, there was certainly a breakdown in information provided to our customers, and I regret that this further added to the situation.

He also stated the following;

Route 223 is a high capacity route and I am aware of the recent difficulties with this Route. The service has been negatively impacted by some operational issues but the majority of delays and missed trips are due to traffic congestion in the city centre and on approaches to the city.

However, we are closely monitoring this Route and it is our intention to improve Route 223 by increasing frequency and allocating extra resources to the service. In the interim, we have engaged a private bus operator to operate the 07:25hrs ex Monkstown/CIT service on our behalf, which will safeguard the reliability of this service.

Don't know what to think to be honest. Cutting a single service half way through the route seems ridiculous. I understand buses break down but maybe they should introduce a way of communicating this to customers so we're not waiting on a bus for over an hour just for it not to show. Whether this be via app, website etc.

Regarding promised improvements to the service; I'll have to see it to believe it. But it's a response nonetheless. It's also worth noting that I was offered a months free red zone leap card as a gesture of goodwill which of course I appreciate being offered.

If anyone has complaints regarding their BE service, I strongly advise that they skip customer service and go straight to the regional manager or CEO, as it gets replies much faster and it seems the complaints will be taken more seriously also. PM me if you need details.

I'll keep ye updated on the service anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

So you are saying it's acceptable?
    We are not talking about littering. This is a thread on the OPs experience with the bus service; that's what we are dealing with here.
    And you don't have to accept littering. You can now photograph someone, report them.....or even just pick it up yourself and put it int the bin; it doesn't already have to end in the doomsday-like scenario in your mind that one must lock themselves into their house.

No I'm not saying it's acceptable. I'm not suggesting locking yourself in your house I'm suggesting the opposite. What I'm basically saying is if we don't accept that people may behave in ways we do not like then the alternative is to wrap ourselves up in cotton wool and stay at home.
    The OP did complain, so this isn't a correct statement. People in Ireland do complain; complaints are logged all the time.

Yes but only the minority. If we were to bombard BE and The NTA with complaints then they will have to improve the service eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

well, that's not what my reading of your post suggests, but fair enough. even with your clarification, i can say that monopolies have no part to play in this.
    It can play a part.
    well actually, with any company public or private you can go somewhere else if others are providing a competing offering.
    Yes, if an alternative exists. Public Service wise, you tend not to have an alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Stephen15 wrote: »
    No I'm not saying it's acceptable. I'm not suggesting locking yourself in your house I'm suggesting the opposite. What I'm basically saying is if we don't accept that people may behave in ways we do not like then the alternative is to wrap ourselves up in cotton wool and stay at home.
    Right. So not acceptable. And the alternative is not locking yourself up; not required at all.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Yes but only the minority
    I would suggest that it tends to be the minority who have a valid complaint. And the OP did complain and did get a reply. So people do complain, and at least the OP has gotten some degree of a response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Great result CYE

Do keep informed and I would still suggest any complaints to nta as they control it all now this means any changes to routes or extra buses etc.

Hopefully things can change and improve across the country.

Our government won't do it unless pushed big time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I found some of the ticket sales staff and the information staff at parnell place very unhelpful and very rude, in particular a young lad, I'm not sure if he still works there, he always seemed very angry and god forbid if you didn't hear him, he'd bite the head off ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Frostybrew

Looks like BE is getting a new senior management team. I wonder will this make a difference. Though looking at their background they could be preparing it for a sell off.

Ray Hernan - Chief Executive Officer (ex Ryanair, currently acting CEO)
    Allen Parker - Chief Customer Officer (currently Aircoach MD)
    Tom Delaney - Chief Financial Officer (ex Bank of England)

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

This is an interesting thread. I've found BE service to be awful for many years but it seems to be worse than ever now.

Sorry if I've missed it but what are the emails of the relevant people to report issues to?

I recently got refund for a taxi that I had to get when a bus failed to show. I'm going to continue with that approach but also would be interested in letting management know about poor customer service when it arises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Mardyke wrote: »
    This is an interesting thread. I've found BE service to be awful for many years but it seems to be worse than ever now.

Sorry if I've missed it but what are the emails of the relevant people to report issues to?

I recently got refund for a taxi that I had to get when a bus failed to show. I'm going to continue with that approach but also would be interested in letting management know about poor customer service when it arises.

Contact CEO and nta and TDs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭EnzoScifo

There are a few knock on reasons for the crap punctuality of buses in Cork at the moment.

Traffic is now worse in the city than it was during the boom years 12 years ago. Bus use has also skyrocketed in the past 5 years.

Investment is just not there for BE. Plenty of new double deckers, but they were just replacing older buses for the most part.

Very little infrastructure improvements have happened in the city since the crash. Only in the past year or so have new bus lanes and priority started to be built.

Retired staff were not replaced due to the public sector embargo on hiring. This means there are now not enough or even no relief drivers to replace sick drivers or disrupted services.

The NTA have made some silly changes to routes, which smack of someone in dublin looking at google maps and drawing with crayons. For example the 203 was extended from Ballyphehane to Leghenamore, but not enough time is built in to the timetable to deal with constant traffic jams on the bridge at the Togher junction of the South Ring. Reliability has gone seriously out the window as a result.

All in all, many have to take the blame, but mainly the department of transport and the NTA for ignoring the danger signs of a creaking bus network and not implementing suitable solutions and funding.

So far, in order to simply lodge a complaint and have it listened to, the OP has been suggested to contact the following :

BE Twitter
    BE Facebook
    Contact nta.
    NTA boss Anne Graham
    bus eireann chief executive
    any manager you can get.
    any local TD.
    Martin Walsh or Tom O’Leary in Capwell
    Broadstonein Dublin, the head office of Bus Eireann.
    Joe Duffy

With the following being the actual points of contact made by the OP

The bus driver
    Someone who refused to identify themselves in the inspectors office and gave his name as "customer service advisor"
    the services manager in Capwell Depot
    Emailed BE
    Tweeted BE
    CEO of BE

The response that came was from
    Regional Manager via the CEO

Does nobody else see all this as the most ludicrous of situations for a front line public service that is supposed to be customer focused?

Is the CEO now the customer service representative?

This, in a nutshell, is the problem with BE. There is no accountability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Sssssshhhhh

You can’t say things like that or they’ll all be out striking again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I use bus eireann fairly regularly so I've seen the bad side to them. There a mess only getting worse. And as for that real time information, Holy Christ it's frustrating.

5mins
    3mins
    2mins
    1min
    Departed (no bus)
    35 mins

jamesbere wrote: »
    I use bus eireann fairly regularly so I've seen the bad side to them. There a mess only getting worse. And as for that real time information, Holy Christ it's frustrating.

5mins
    3mins
    2mins
    1min
    Departed (no bus)
    35 mins

I brought this up with the regional manager for BE Cork also. Unfortunately he couldn't tell me much as to why it happens so frequently. "Phantom buses".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I brought this up with the regional manager for BE Cork also. Unfortunately he couldn't tell me much as to why it happens so frequently. "Phantom buses".

I don't know what system they use to track buses but it's useless. I mean take my taxi, I fairly straight forward app that let's you track your car very easily. Surely it can't be too difficult to implement something similar. They have a map feature alright but it's hard to use on your mobile.

Its worse its getting aswell, the last two buses I got were 5 mins earlier then what it said on real time. The ones I tried to get before that either never showed or were really late (although traffic was probably a factor there)

They need set up a new city service from scratch before it goes tits up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

The current infrastructure needs to be changed sooner rather than later.

They need a couple of hubs in the city.Take for example the number 7 bus,it goes from Ballyvolane (which has heavy traffic congestion) to town and then to Douglas(also heavy congestion).

They should run the number 7 from Ballyvolane to town (current bus station) and have another bus running from Capwell to Douglas to reduce the delays due to congestion.Plenty of other routes such as bishopstown - Mayfield could also benefit.

Also the 220x from EMC that runs through Ballincollig -Town - Douglas -Carrigaline is a complete disaster. Doesnt turn up half the time(on time) I heard which is no wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I've twice companied to Bus Eireann about issues with different aspects of the service from Cork. Just got a stock reply with an offer of a free return trip on my route. I always refused the ticket and just asked that the issue be addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,146 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Sssssshhhhh

You can’t say things like that or they’ll all be out striking again!!

no they won't.
    So far, in order to simply lodge a complaint and have it listened to, the OP has been suggested to contact the following :

BE Twitter
    BE Facebook
    Contact nta.
    NTA boss Anne Graham
    bus eireann chief executive
    any manager you can get.
    any local TD.
    Martin Walsh or Tom O’Leary in Capwell
    Broadstonein Dublin, the head office of Bus Eireann.
    Joe Duffy

With the following being the actual points of contact made by the OP

The bus driver
    Someone who refused to identify themselves in the inspectors office and gave his name as "customer service advisor"
    the services manager in Capwell Depot
    Emailed BE
    Tweeted BE
    CEO of BE

The response that came was from
    Regional Manager via the CEO

Does nobody else see all this as the most ludicrous of situations for a front line public service that is supposed to be customer focused?

Is the CEO now the customer service representative?

i agree on the face of it it is ridiculous. however the way to look at it is the more people contacted the more people know about it and the greater chance of the issue possibly being dealt with. as strange as it sounds we are in some way lucky we have a number of points of contact to complain about the service. in the uk outside london for example, people don't seem to be so lucky, they seem to just have the operator's main channels to contact and it's a case of hope for the best. what we have is far from ideal but at least if anything, there are no excuses for the relevant people not to know about the customer's complaint.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Gamb!t wrote: »

Also the 220x from EMC that runs through Ballincollig -Town - Douglas -Carrigaline is a complete disaster. Doesnt turn up half the time(on time) I heard which is no wonder.

The 220X goes from Grange Manor. The 220 goes from EMC.

It's slightly annoying that a public bus service goes right up the driveway of a private enterprise. And then on occasion the 220X will fail to show completely.

The 220X goes from Grange Manor. The 220 goes from EMC.

It's slightly annoying that a public bus service goes right up the driveway of a private enterprise. And then on occasion the 220X will fail to show completely.
    http://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/1475578239-220x.pdf
    It goes from EMC also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Evil-1

The control room for the RTPI in Cork is actually in Dublin, so its no surprise there are buses that do not run showing up on the system and going un noticed. Route 203 is a prime example, on Monday nights there is a scheduled departure from St Patricks St to Leghnamore every 20 mins, and these appear on the RTPI, problem is that in reality there is no service between 2130 and 2250 irrespective of what the timetable or RPTI states, this is now so bad that regular users of the service are aware of the gap and have simply given up waiting for buses that never run, and this route receives a PSO payment for services that did not operate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Evil-1 wrote: »
    The control room for the RTPI in Cork is actually in Dublin, so its no surprise there are buses that do not run showing up on the system and going un noticed. Route 203 is a prime example, on Monday nights there is a scheduled departure from St Patricks St to Leghnamore every 20 mins, and these appear on the RTPI, problem is that in reality there is no service between 2130 and 2250 irrespective of what the timetable or RPTI states, this is now so bad that regular users of the service are aware of the gap and have simply given up waiting for buses that never run, and this route receives a PSO payment for services that did not operate.

In Ballincollig there is suppose to be a bus on the hour and on the half hour mark, they never show up on the half hour mark at all, nearly always late on the hour too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

In Ballincollig there is suppose to be a bus on the hour and on the half hour mark, they never show up on the half hour mark at all, nearly always late on the hour too.

I was waiting the other day to go into town on either the 220 or 220x and three showed up together!

And then the 220x decided to go the 220 route and vice versa /sigh

At least the fares are cheaper these days

-Toppy- wrote: »

The only saving grace.

I was waiting the other day to go into town on either the 220 or 220x and three showed up together!

If all passengers reported this to the names mentioned in this thread it might help

They shouldn't be allowed get away with it without some answers

As for fares, it would need to be free before it started to be worth the hassle !

Ive had problems in the past with the 220x from ovens to town where a certain driver would at times not pick up people at the EMC stop as he would say he is going to grange manor but not come back.Rude guy with a ****e attitude too.

Rude guy with a ****e attitude too.

Could you narrow it down! ;)

IMO no bus should drive up the driveway of EMC - a public bus going into a private enterprise. And that same private enterprise stopping people from Grange Manor walking on EMC grounds to get to the bus stop (before the 220X started).

Could you narrow it down! ;)

IMO no bus should drive up the driveway of EMC - a public bus going into a private enterprise. And that same private enterprise stopping people from Grange Manor walking on EMC grounds to get to the bus stop (before the 220X started).
    I think they added the stop to accommodate the afternoon and evening shifts outside which is handy sometimes if it arrives on time.

Correct the EMC stop is actually outside the EMC Security hut before you actually go onto EMC premsises

Toppy

• Advertisement

Another 220X no-show this evening.... too cold an evening to waste 30 mins waiting for a bus only to end up back home in the end.

Another 220X no-show this evening.... too cold an evening to waste 30 mins waiting for a bus only to end up back home in the end.

Please hound the contacts I mentioned in my post, anyone else looking for email addresses for Bus Eireann Cork management please pm me.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Contact nta.

Email nta boss Anne Graham

Contact bus eireann chief executive and apply same to any manager you can get.

Also suggest any local TD.

That's shocking and is not on.

Keep a record of it all and keep at them about it.

I complained this complete bellend of a driver about a particular incident last year via that woman. This guy is usually on the No 202 and No 207 and is well known for for his aggressive and rude approach to passengers. Got an email back from Anne Graham saying they were speaking to the driver in question blah blah blah. He's still driving, you're wasting your time with this bunch, the unions are too powerful.

I complained this complete bellend of a driver about a particular incident last year via that woman. This guy is usually on the No 202 and No 207 and is well known for for his aggressive and rude approach to passengers. Got an email back from Anne Graham saying they were speaking to the driver in question blah blah blah. He's still driving, you're wasting your time with this bunch, the unions are too powerful.

the unions in this country are not powerful and have nothing to do with this driver still driving or the NTA'S handling of the issue.
    it is likely that unfortunately they were unable to get enough tangible evidence to do anything about this driver's alleged behaviour. you may not like that but the reality is to take disciplinary action against the driver would require more evidence then a simple complaint.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Is this the guy with the English accent because if its the same guy the sooner he is booted out of BE the better?

Is this the guy with the English accent because if its the same guy the sooner he is booted out of BE the better?

if his behaviour is as claimed, then absolutely he should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

No 202 for over 45 minutes this morning, ended up getting a taxi and was late for work.
    The app was showing 3 mins, 2 mins, DUE and then 45 minutes (there is meant to be a service every 10 mins). Within a couple of minutes of it changing to 45 minutes, it would go back to 3 mins, 2 mins etc but nothing would show.

Going to complain via the links posted here, its actually a disgrace at this stage and cannot be depended on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The real time information is as good as useless for Cork city buses in my experience - it seems to have no bearing on the actual location of the buses. I've pretty much given up on getting the bus into town, the half hour walk is usually quicker than waiting for a bus that may or may not exist (215/215A).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

The real-time information only seems to work properly on a few routes. 205 and 208 seem to be ok. For others, it seems to be just automatically issuing the timetabled departure times, regardless of whether a bus is coming or not.

After 35 minutes waiting for a 223 on South Mall (its initial departure point), a 220 pulled up and I asked the driver if he knew what might have happened to my 223. He immediately said he knew nothing about it (fair enough), then pointed to a phone number on a sticker on his windscreen and told me to call it. He didn't offer to enquire himself.

I called the number, it's disconnected.

Epilogue: the 223 did show up shortly afterwards, 40 minutes late on initial departure. How can people rely on this service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Probably the same thick system they have at the station where it'll say boarding when there's no bus there.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    No 202 for over 45 minutes this morning, ended up getting a taxi and was late for work.
    The app was showing 3 mins, 2 mins, DUE and then 45 minutes (there is meant to be a service every 10 mins). Within a couple of minutes of it changing to 45 minutes, it would go back to 3 mins, 2 mins etc but nothing would show.

Going to complain via the links posted here, its actually a disgrace at this stage and cannot be depended on.

all users of the route need to do the same thing. if enough people complain then the issues will have to be sorted. same for any routes suffering constant reliability issues around the country.

Is it still a case of if you ask a driver(diplomatically) why was the bus late or didnt show up most of them would nearly tear the head off you for asking :D

Is it still a case of if you ask a driver(diplomatically) why was the bus late or didnt show up most of them would nearly tear the head off you for asking

most of them? there are a couple of thousand drivers working for the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Herself has to get the 215 Bus when I can't drop her in..

Anyway she has been on about this Driver for while. Basically he gives Lectures to passengers as they pay about cards, rules etc. He oldish enough, grey hair, mouthy. Can sometimes be very nice, but also can switch on people.

Anyway few weeks ago as she about to board Bus the door for Bus is closed with this driver inside. (Across road from Mahon point)She knocks on Bus, man ignores her. She said she stood there for 5 minutes and he would not open door. When he did eventually open it he said its "closed for safety reasons". But hey **** the passenger safety.

Another day she waited for a Hour and half for Bus on a Sunday day it's lashing rain. Again same Driver. Has to have rant as each person is getting on if card not working or whatever. At this stage people are cold and wet they don't need lecture about "Bus code"

Anyway I confronted him few weeks ago about his behaviour but I got the "sure she is not from here" spiel.(my gf is not Irish).

She has no problem with any other drivers but the guy thinks he runs the show. He known to few anyway and it's not just my GF who had issues with him but just letting people know about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Ring Prendiville tomorrow lads

• Advertisement

most of them? there are a couple of thousand drivers working for the company.
    Most operating in the respective route I meant.

OP here.

Have noticed since complaining about the 223 route to several higher ups in both Bus Eireann and TFI/NTA, the company seems to have outsourced a lot of the timetable to private coach companies.

As they have no Leap reader on them, my bus ride is usually therefore free. Same goes for Real time (although it's usually useless anyway) as the buses obviously don't have BE's tracking on them.

Obviously not ideal in the long term, funding etc but I can't complain about a free fare!

Drivers also seem to be a hell of a lot friendlier!!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

No,Cork accent. Short, stocky bald guy with a tash. 60ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

OP here.

Have noticed since complaining about the 223 route to several higher ups in both Bus Eireann and TFI/NTA, the company seems to have outsourced a lot of the timetable to private coach companies.

As they have no Leap reader on them, my bus ride is usually therefore free. Same goes for Real time (although it's usually useless anyway) as the buses obviously don't have BE's tracking on them.

Obviously not ideal in the long term, funding etc but I can't complain about a free fare!

Drivers also seem to be a hell of a lot friendlier!!

They've been doing this for the airport route for the last while now in the evenings and some of those drivers are absolute heroes, always great craic and friendly.

No,Cork accent. Short, stocky bald guy with a tash. 60ish.
    There's a guy doing that route years that fits that description but never had any issues with him,there's a small fella on the 207 with an English accent early 50's who's manor is outrageous,surprised him and the 220x fella werent pulled.

• Advertisement
Advertisement