Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghost of Tsushima

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm torn as to watching the State of Play. I don't want to ruin anything for this, but at the same time I want to see more of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Looking forward to the game play tomorrow of this, hopefully its actual gameplay footage and not just another FMV trailer like another company did with a certain game last week :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Looks good, pretty much the Assassins Creed in Japan I wanted that they never made

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Hmm, visually it looks incredible (what blockbuster game doesn't these days though?) but gameplay-wise it is nothing we haven't seen a dozen times at this stage in AAA open-world games.

When I read about it having no waypoints it made me think this was gonna do some things differently and think outside the box but every single open-world trope was present in that video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah, sadly it stunk of AC, combat looks effortless like AC (which is bad), they didnt show any "Boss" fights, so hard to tell how much depth the combat has, looking pretty shallow so far.

Heres hoping the story/voice acting is done proper, not thrown together like AC..

I was likely looking to pick this up on day 1, but now its looking like another wait until bargain bin purchase :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hmmm, ya I have a bad feeling about this one, hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It LOOKS brilliant but something seemed off. The combat looked like a slow batman Arkham, waiting for the counter window, although it looked stylish as hell. I'd really love to try it out or see a detailed video on the combat, maybe the counter Windows are tiny and need more skill than the video let on.

The cinema mode looked class as well for duels but crap for sneaking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Game was always going to look visually stunning like alot of Sony Studio Games but the combat was going to make or break it for me .

The Open World setting is very Horizon Zero Dawn but the combat animations look very clunky and with the game taking Assassin Creed as it main influence I dont think I will be buying this game .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Combat looks terrible. Might give this a miss and pick up Nioh 2 instead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not shocked or surprised that it looks like sucker punch have made another bland open world game. Looks like everything I hate about soulless open world template games. Combat looks awful. Same counter rubbish from the very first assassin's creed game.

You'd swear Sekiro never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Quite liked the look of it even if thats an unpopular opinion. Not sure what people were expecting regarding combat, it still looks the exact same as it did in the first demo where it was about timing and countering.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Art design is nice, but the graphics themselves weren't all that impressive........

It looks like the most 7/10 game ever. Even the narrator sounded disinterested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

ERG89 wrote: »
    Quite liked the look of it even if thats an unpopular opinion. Not sure what people were expecting regarding combat, it still looks the exact same as it did in the first demo where it was about timing and countering.

The combat shown before was a lot smoother looking tbh, and they hid the UI, so it was hard to tell if what was being done was in any way difficult, and they made it look a lot more slick..

Skip to 7min mark..

The latest footage it just looked liked an AC clone, the older footage looked far better, but again, we still need to see more.. They keep only showing it in drips, which is also a worrying factor considering its 2 months away from release..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,290 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I really like the look of it. Far too early to dismiss at this stage based on 18 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I really like the look of it. Far too early to dismiss at this stage based on 18 minutes.

Gameplay won't change between now and July so I cant see it improving at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't even think it's that good looking. God of War, Horizon and Death Stranding I feel are far more impressive.

I just can't be any less excited about the gameplay. It's just the same **** we have been seeing for the last two generations. I mean I'm always down on these types of games but they usually bring something new to the experience. Spiderman was a joy to controls, Infamous had super powers. This.... Is early assassin's creed.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

There is far too many good action games already out that there is simply no need for me to buy Ghost of Tsushima .
    Normally I hold judgement on a game until I play it but that presentation was about as about as much as I expected .

The combat does not look free flowing at all and I am baffled just how clunky the animations looked in 2020.

I do not understand the decision for them to use Assassin Creed as a template when we have Sekiro, Nioh , Devil May Cry 5 already setting the standard for modern action games .

I thought that lighting-wise, the main character seemed kinda flat and disconnected from the world. In places he's casting a really strong shadow but the character model doesn't seem to be getting lit up from the light source. Maybe i'm nitpicking, it just looked weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

That 18 minutes of gameplay was an affront to God, I demand the Devs be taken out and flogged. They might as well just can the entire project.

Or, perhaps it will be good, who knows?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Visually looks beautiful, but combat is a bit... meh looking.

Never played a Sucker Punch game so i cant base it on anything they've done

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I find it very amusing how they’re so deadly serious about trying to emulate classic samurai cinema, and then are like ‘as the Ghost you shatter the samurai code to commit stealthy mass murder to capture bases and clear off check marks on an open world map’. Don’t remember that from the Kurosawa classics myself :pac:

Cant help but think there’s far more potential in a game that focused determinedly on being a pure, old-fashioned ronin or samurai sim - even an open world one where you arrived in different settlements and had to help them out of various binds, ala Sanjuro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

ERG89 wrote: »

Except...almost every melee focused 3rd person game is about that! The Souls series is all about timing your attacks (well its not the way I play and I die...a lot); not played Sekiro but looks to be more focused on perfect parrying than previous FromSoft games; even For Honour (it has samurais) is based off timing and angling blocks, especially for the lighter classes who need to parry; hell, go back to Onimusha and its Issen mode where only counter-attack parries deal damage to every enemy; and as for non-samurai games, DevilMayCry had entire combat styles focused on counter-attacks and Assassins Creed was lambasted almost a decade ago for having enemies stand around you and charge in one at a time to be insta-killed with one slice. Bayonetta had parries and Witch Time for perfect dodges.

Not saying they need to reinvent the wheel, but from what Ive seen for those 18 minutes this game seems to have very little outside of it. Map exploration is "open map, click on ?, follow wind"...neat touch with the wind but just so tiresome, will the whole map be open but unfilled or will you have to climb Tori arches and synchronize from the top? It just looks very...uninspired, design doc was probably just "Assassins Creed 2: Japan Boogaloo"

If anyone is interested in a true sandbox samurai game then the Way of the Samurai series is highly recommended. They are pure jank but the small detailed open world lets you role play is so many interesting ways that its so much fun to either mess around or role play.

You can get parts 3 and 4 on Steam. 3 is more serious while 4..... lets just say it has a character called Melinda Megamelons (and strangely she is based on a historical character Melinda de Cameron and it's actually a historically accurate joke about her name).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,230 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It looks okay. Nothing particularly special or fantastic, but might be a solid play. Their explanation of the waypoint system where they don't have waypoints.... that's just waypoints with extra steps. They are pettable waypoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Was interested for a moment and then found out it's a Sony published game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Was interested for a moment and then found out it's a Sony published game.

Yeah, it's like, they're unable to publish a good game, cmon Sony, get your **** together.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yeah, it's like, they're unable to publish a good game, cmon Sony, get your **** together.
    Spider-man, God of War, Uncharted 4, The Last of Us, Bloodborne....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

ShaneU wrote: »
    Spider-man, God of War, Uncharted 4, The Last of Us, Bloodborne....

I think he was being sarcastic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Exclusive to Paystation 4. Plus Sony's history of damaging the gaming industry. I'd sooner flush my money down the toilet than give them a cent.

Advertisement