Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tuesday/Wednesday 22/23rd, snow and breeze watch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Euro 04 still not giving up the ghost here....

20122302_2200.gif

With that chart showing what it is showing, surprisingly it doesn't show snow for the wicklow hills. According to that chart living in Ashbourne I would get some snowfall. Well I wont be holding my breath lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Billcarson wrote: »
    With that chart showing what it is showing, surprisingly it doesn't show snow for the wicklow hills. According to that chart living in Ashbourne I would get some snowfall. Well I wont be holding my breath lol

the Euro4 has a tendency to overdo snow from what I've seen over the last few years, I don't know why many people hold it in higher regard compared to other short range models for snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

I find the Euro 4 is fairly spot on when its a few hours out. Snow across Higher parts of Kerry tonight so places like Carrauntoohill, Gap of Dunloe, Molls Gap and around the Killarney National park in general will be the main focus. Some small coverings in parts of higher ground areas of Clare, Limerick and Cork also.

Billcarson wrote: »

The reason charts are not showing much snow over the Wicklow hills is due to the freezing level. Much of the precipitation will have cleared by the time the freezing level drops tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Euro4 wouldn't be the best at forecasting snow in these setups. Harmonie is having none of it, I think you are looking at very high ground tbh with rain and maybe some sleet elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Sleet and Wet snow at elevation in Kerry already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Heavy sleet in Johnstown North Kilkenny County.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Is the "Breeze" in the title tongue-in-cheek or am I missing something??

It's turned a filthy evening out there now (Celbridge). It started coming down heavily as I was out with the dog but luckily I brought an umbrella. Cold rain.

The midnight aviation chart shows a tight temperature gradient along the south, with the freezing level going from 3000 ft along a line Valentia-Gurteen-Dublin-northern England-Derry to 6000 feet along the south Cork-Waterford coast. Rain/isolated thunderstorms, with snow on mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

As is mentioned every winter, those snow charts are extremely crude and next to useless for anything more than a general idea. Here's the 2m temperature chart that corresponds to the snow chart above, ain't gonna be snow in north Leinster with temps around 4-7C!

20122302_2_2212.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭Newtown90

We had some wet snow here in Killarney just after 8 for a while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Villain wrote: »

As I said earlier the southwest was the main focus around Kerry. freezing level isn't low enough in Leinster until tomorrow morning when the much of the precipitation will have passed. Good to see some snow. Roll on the coming weeks

132427081_4216091625074752_2506381759957757231_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=EJoDC-43ZkMAX8lFe85&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=45273d1e59634c9cd92fd99a7697e325&oe=600748E6

A facebook picture from Kerry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Sleety train here for much of the evening, rain for a lot of the day, light until later this afternoon, 9.6mm so far

Very cold with a max of 5.1C and currently 3.7C, was lower early evening.

No reports from lower levels , snow reported on high ground all right.

https://twitter.com/countykerry/status/1341512001160433667?s=20

Xr0ZG2N.gif

temp_uk_pba7.png

Sleety train here for much of the evening, rain for a lot of the day, light until later this afternoon, 9.6mm so far

Very cold with a max of 5.1C and currently 3.7C, was lower early evening.

No reports from lower levels , snow reported on high ground all right.

The photo I posted above was Beaufort in Co. Kerry, I presume that is fairly low-lying ground there?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Danno wrote: »
    The photo I posted above was Beaufort in Co. Kerry, I presume that is fairly low-lying ground there?

Yeah quite low lying , not far from the entrance to the Gap of Dunloe on the Killarney side, very close to the mountains, not sure if some of the parish is on the foothills ??

Colder air across northern Cork County and southern Tipperary county with 2c widely reported.

The radar returns look messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Right now in Cork city south suburbs it feels relatively mild....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yeah quite low lying , not far from the entrance to the Gap of Dunloe on the Killarney side, very close to the mountains, not sure if some of the parish is on the foothills ??

my old home.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 laurach

Sleet with rain in West Cork now. Feels very cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

That Conor pass would frighten the bejaysus out of you in the summer, but with snow on it, you’d want to be mental to drive it, literally

screamer wrote: »
    That Conor pass would frighten the bejaysus out of you in the summer, but with snow on it, you’d want to be mental to drive it, literally

I did drive the Conor Pass when there was snow on it.... Felt frustrated then saw other cars going up sp followed them.

It was...interesting.. I thought once that if I was killed my family would never forgive me for driving it. Having lived in wild rural places I am fearless re this.

The real challenge was keeping eyes on the road as the scenery was utterly a sheer snow glory. And the view at the top....

I keep meaning to do a web article on the roads that thrill...

Getting down was interesting too... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Maybe just maybe with this end Dec/beginning January event the Cork snowshield will be well and truly broken!
    I'm thinking of Leahyl and others!
    Roll on the rollercoaster I'm selling tickets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭pauldry

Not buying a ticket until Kermit makes the thread. Looks messy at times even though freezing cold. Still most of us should see snowflakes fall from the sky in the next week even if the ground is wet.

The far mountains are dark and naked...

That wind would flay the frozen skin off your face.

West Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Wheelie Bin lid keeps swinging open, I've done a full compass swing and it still blows open. Surprisingly windy here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Wheelie Bin lid keeps swinging open, I've done a full compass swing and it still blows open. Surprisingly windy here.

It's just a breeze :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

It's just a breeze :pac:

I'll remember that as I'm chasing empty milk cartons around the road :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

pauldry wrote: »
    Not buying a ticket until Kermit makes the thread. Looks messy at times even though freezing cold. Still most of us should see snowflakes fall from the sky in the next week even if the ground is wet.

The ground being wet is not the issue, if the temperature above it is sufficiently low enough the snow will stick. The best example of this i can remember was the evening of December 16th 2010, when after a day of heavy rain, 10 minutes after the rain had changed to snow it started to stick readily, despite how soaked the ground was. I could barely believe it at the time.

100%, the dampness of the ground has little impact as the temperature falls in snow fall, it freezes anyway.

It's irritating for sure in short sleety snow showers when there is not enough time to lower the temperatures but generally it's not really the issue it's made out to be.

P.S graupel, which some complain about for some reason, is the quickest way to lay icy foundations wet or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The ground being wet is not the issue, if the temperature above it is sufficiently low enough the snow will stick. The best example of this i can remember was the evening of December 16th 2010, when after a day of heavy rain, 10 minutes after the rain had changed to snow it started to stick readily, despite how soaked the ground was. I could barely believe it at the time.

even as recently as 2 March 2019 comes to mind.

Repeating my post in the other thread,. The wind has strengthened and a gale is due and has changed to northerly/northeasterly.

And anything is possible with a northerly gale! WATCH THIS SPACE! (DRUMROLL!)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

It's looking very interesting around new years. I think given the low night time temps. The likely northern sources air mass. There will be very icy conditions. The probability of snow is also increasing. haven't seen weather like this modelled for January since I started model watching. Not quite 2010 or 2018 but given time of year I think the depth of cold might surprise us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭mcburns07

It's looking very interesting around new years. I think given the low night time temps. The likely northern sources air mass. There will be very icy conditions. The probability of snow is also increasing. haven't seen weather like this modelled for January since I started model watching. Not quite 2010 or 2018 but given time of year I think the depth of cold might surprise us

Some interesting weather would be such a brilliant distraction from everything else going on over the next few months. Bring it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Some interesting weather would be such a brilliant distraction from everything else going on over the next few months. Bring it on.

For some!! For others, it would be more stress on top of everything else going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

For some!! For others, it would be more stress on top of everything else going on.

Hopefully snow on top of more snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Very windy in my county but no snow at the moment on lower ground only on higher ground in mountainous areas this morning. Snow possible at weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

Cold and a wind that would cut you in two in East Clare all day, no sign of snow..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

Tricky for those who are working over New Years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

sparrowcar wrote: »

Try a 180 vertical. That'll sort it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Maybe just maybe with this end Dec/beginning January event the Cork snowshield will be well and truly broken!
    I'm thinking of Leahyl and others!
    Roll on the rollercoaster I'm selling tickets!

Aw it’s nice to hear someone remembers me! I don’t post too much anymore; I can tell you though, tonight is BALTIC! I feel something coming in the next few weeks...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

That breeze would cut you in two.

Bitter out by the Kerry coast today in the stiff wind even though the temperature was reading about 8C.

Pic of Fenit Harbour with snow on the Slieve Mish Mountains in the background as cloud was beginning to clear late morning.

ycnNp3I.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Galtees this evening. Car was saying 6 degrees but it felt much, much colder. Very windy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Galtees this evening. Car was saying 6 degrees but it felt much, much colder. Very windy too.

Where is that? Looks like you're on the North side looking south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

tails_naf wrote: »
    Where is that? Looks like you're on the North side looking south.

Just outside Lisvernane Village in Aherlow.
    Think you're right about North side looking south, after 16 years I'm still a 'blow in round here :)

Irish Sea influenced weather across vast swathes of Ireland last night - the deepening low scuppered snowfall chances for all but the very SW areas protected by a long land fetch.

Danno wrote: »
    Irish Sea influenced weather across vast swathes of Ireland last night - the deepening low scuppered snowfall chances for all but the very SW areas protected by a long land fetch.

ah well... maybe as well until after Christmas. Enough problems without being snowed in for so many..

Ah Well!

Bitter out by the Kerry coast today in the stiff wind even though the temperature was reading about 8C.

Pic of Fenit Harbour with snow on the Slieve Mish Mountains in the background as cloud was beginning to clear late morning.

ycnNp3I.jpg?1

Great photo! Can I just say what a beautiful part of the country Kerry is. I love the county (except for the politicians). :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,590 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

In Ireland it would appear you have a lower snow line than we have currently in B.C. (albeit at latitudes similar to Brittany across our southern tier). Around Vancouver the snow line is about 600 metres asl. In the Columbia valley near where I live (adjacent to the northwest corner of Idaho) the snow line is just above the river valley, we were in Trail BC yesterday and the ground there is largely bare although frozen, bits of snow appear as you get a few metres up the sides of the valley and it increases to 20 cm of almost entirely frozen but deceptively snow-like substances on the ground around here, probably 30-40 cm in the local mountains.

• Advertisement
Advertisement