Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday/Wednesday 22/23rd, snow and breeze watch

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yes it would look kike nearly all the models showing wintry precipitation now for Tuesday evening into Weds morning/ early afternoon ( EURO 4 undecided on this run ).

Temperatures at lower levels would suggest little chance of settling snow but perhaps on higher elevations. Looks like a sleety, rain wet snow kind of mix.

Would think that the road from Killarney to Kenmare by Molls Gap might get tricky and the county bounds or the Healy pass etc all could get snow accumulations.

Further inland the hills around Balllydesmond , Rockchapel, Knocknagashal could see snow for a time.

Models have upgraded this a fair bit again I reckon, interesting to see how this pans out.

High rainfall totals in Cork.

anim_mcb4.gif

anim_rfu0.gif

anim_iaw2.gif

anim_kyj6.gif

anim_odj9.gif

anim_yov6.gif

DVNsCRA.png

QTtsu1w.png

nRENApV.png

q30VpaN.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,432 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Most eyes on inland Munster tomorrow evening/night. A bit of height always a big help but looks a good chance of seeing at least a few flakes at lower elevations as well as rain and sleet.

5774_jfi2.png

A brisk northeasterly wind too. Bit of a bite in the air. Temps between 2 and 4c in the region but up to 6 or 7c on immediate south coasts. Falling back toward freezing after dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Time to make sure bulbs are working in my lampposts..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Most eyes on Munster tomorrow evening/night. A bit of height always a big help but looks a good chance of seeing at least a few flakes at lower elevations as well as rain and sleet.

A brisk northeasterly wind too. Bit of a bite in the air.

the Dundrum near Tipperary on that map stole Dublin's sleet :p

Time to make sure bulbs are working in my lampposts..

Make sure you have a camera phone charged. The quality of snowflake will have to be thoroughly examined :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Will I be able to get past my front gate? :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I think the models would suggest that there is spot flooding potential Tuesday into Weds along Southern counties, primarily Cork. No mention of high rainfall totals after the news or on Met Eireanns website and no mention of any wintry precipitation after the news. Odd.

Windy along Southern counties also early Weds.

Temperatures look set not to get below freezing in general on lower levels in Munster so perhaps little sticking there for long but if there was a heavy enough dump locally overnight could still be there for a time in the morning.

Will see.

aromehd-25-42-0_jby0.png

anim_fue3.gif

anim_sjj3.gif

5Q6VYm2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

20122309_2112.gif

Euro 04 looks interesting too....

Euro 04 looks interesting too....

Yeah showing some heavy snow over the Reeks in Kerry and on hgh ground in other parts of Munster and very high rainfall totals , can over do the rainfall accumulations a bit but surprised no mention of high totals yet. Looks to me that there is a chance of yellow rainfall warnings and possibly to include wintry conditions . Could be wrong but it is what I'm seeing.

Definitely merits a wind warning for southeast coasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭pauldry

Very marginal whether snow. Might snow but will it stick. Another aside is wintry precipitation is very close to Northeast and East on Christmas Eve so might all depend on how this system evolves.

We need snow if we are locked down or we will just be locked...and down.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

I would say Met Éireann will issue a Status Yellow Rainfall warning this morning at around 10am for Kerry, Cork, Waterford and possibly Limerick. Any snow accumulations will be across higher ground areas of Kerry and Cork with sleet or wet snow for a time at some lower levels of the southwest and south.

pauldry wrote: »
    Very marginal whether snow. Might snow but will it stick. Another aside is wintry precipitation is very close to Northeast and East on Christmas Eve so might all depend on how this system evolves.

We need snow if we are locked down or we will just be locked...and down.

If ever the country could do with the beauty and wonderful distraction of snow it is over this Christmas period.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

If ever the country could do with the beauty and wonderful distraction of snow it is over this Christmas period.......

Have you seen MT Cranium's second last paragraph in his weather forecast today
    The OUTLOOK calls for further wintry weather conditions towards New Years with a growing possibility of significant snowfalls, as low pressure areas begin to form in the broad northerly flow providing a focus for more organized bands of snow or sleet at times. Temperatures will be well below average around zero or +1 C in the daytimes and around -3 C at night. Some of the guidance suggests that the cold spell will dig in and persist for some time into January, and there are also some hints of battleground scenarios where Atlantic moisture over-runs the cold air across Ireland leading to more snowfall. Conditions could become quite harsh in isolated higher terrain with blizzard like conditions possibly affecting free ranging livestock. At the same time, I should underscore the fact that there is some uncertainty about details and it seems likely that conditions will be rather variable from place to place in this coming cold spell, not everyone is going to see the same amounts of snowfall for example. The latest guidance looks very wintry indeed at times in January, and there is no trend towards any fast return to milder Atlantic-dominated regimes, in fact what seems more likely is a second strong northerly setting in around 4th January.

Yippee!

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Would keep people locked up anyway.

We could live on heroes and roses

Problem for those that need a test though

Euro 04 still not giving up the ghost here....

20122302_2200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy rain at times may cause some localised flooding. Rainfall totals generally around 30-40mm, higher in mountainous areas.

Valid: 15:00 Tuesday 22/12/2020 to 09:00 Wednesday 23/12/2020

Issued: 10:00 Tuesday 22/12/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

From Met Eireann
    TONIGHT

Outbreaks of rain will extend across much of Munster, Connacht and Leinster tonight but Ulster looks set to remain largely dry with just a few showers.
    Heavy rain is expected in the south with a risk of localised flooding there. As the night progresses the rain will turn increasingly to sleet or snow on high ground in Munster. Minimum temperatures of 0 to 4 degrees in freshening northeasterly winds

• Registered Users Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

20122302_2200.gif

How I wish there was a chance of that, nice to dream.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sleet has started to appear on Mountains in Kerry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Billcarson

20122302_2200.gif

With that chart showing what it is showing, surprisingly it doesn't show snow for the wicklow hills. According to that chart living in Ashbourne I would get some snowfall. Well I wont be holding my breath lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Billcarson wrote: »
    With that chart showing what it is showing, surprisingly it doesn't show snow for the wicklow hills. According to that chart living in Ashbourne I would get some snowfall. Well I wont be holding my breath lol

the Euro4 has a tendency to overdo snow from what I've seen over the last few years, I don't know why many people hold it in higher regard compared to other short range models for snow.

I find the Euro 4 is fairly spot on when its a few hours out. Snow across Higher parts of Kerry tonight so places like Carrauntoohill, Gap of Dunloe, Molls Gap and around the Killarney National park in general will be the main focus. Some small coverings in parts of higher ground areas of Clare, Limerick and Cork also.

Billcarson wrote: »

The reason charts are not showing much snow over the Wicklow hills is due to the freezing level. Much of the precipitation will have cleared by the time the freezing level drops tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Euro4 wouldn't be the best at forecasting snow in these setups. Harmonie is having none of it, I think you are looking at very high ground tbh with rain and maybe some sleet elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Sleet and Wet snow at elevation in Kerry already

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Heavy sleet in Johnstown North Kilkenny County.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Is the "Breeze" in the title tongue-in-cheek or am I missing something??

It's turned a filthy evening out there now (Celbridge). It started coming down heavily as I was out with the dog but luckily I brought an umbrella. Cold rain.

The midnight aviation chart shows a tight temperature gradient along the south, with the freezing level going from 3000 ft along a line Valentia-Gurteen-Dublin-northern England-Derry to 6000 feet along the south Cork-Waterford coast. Rain/isolated thunderstorms, with snow on mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

As is mentioned every winter, those snow charts are extremely crude and next to useless for anything more than a general idea. Here's the 2m temperature chart that corresponds to the snow chart above, ain't gonna be snow in north Leinster with temps around 4-7C!

20122302_2_2212.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

We had some wet snow here in Killarney just after 8 for a while!

Advertisement