Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday/Wednesday 22/23rd, snow and breeze watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Villain wrote: »

As I said earlier the southwest was the main focus around Kerry. freezing level isn't low enough in Leinster until tomorrow morning when the much of the precipitation will have passed. Good to see some snow. Roll on the coming weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

132427081_4216091625074752_2506381759957757231_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=EJoDC-43ZkMAX8lFe85&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=45273d1e59634c9cd92fd99a7697e325&oe=600748E6

A facebook picture from Kerry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Sleety train here for much of the evening, rain for a lot of the day, light until later this afternoon, 9.6mm so far

Very cold with a max of 5.1C and currently 3.7C, was lower early evening.

No reports from lower levels , snow reported on high ground all right.

https://twitter.com/countykerry/status/1341512001160433667?s=20

Xr0ZG2N.gif

temp_uk_pba7.png

Sleety train here for much of the evening, rain for a lot of the day, light until later this afternoon, 9.6mm so far

Very cold with a max of 5.1C and currently 3.7C, was lower early evening.

No reports from lower levels , snow reported on high ground all right.

The photo I posted above was Beaufort in Co. Kerry, I presume that is fairly low-lying ground there?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Danno wrote: »
    The photo I posted above was Beaufort in Co. Kerry, I presume that is fairly low-lying ground there?

Yeah quite low lying , not far from the entrance to the Gap of Dunloe on the Killarney side, very close to the mountains, not sure if some of the parish is on the foothills ??

Colder air across northern Cork County and southern Tipperary county with 2c widely reported.

The radar returns look messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Right now in Cork city south suburbs it feels relatively mild....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yeah quite low lying , not far from the entrance to the Gap of Dunloe on the Killarney side, very close to the mountains, not sure if some of the parish is on the foothills ??

my old home.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 laurach

Sleet with rain in West Cork now. Feels very cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭screamer

That Conor pass would frighten the bejaysus out of you in the summer, but with snow on it, you’d want to be mental to drive it, literally

screamer wrote: »
    That Conor pass would frighten the bejaysus out of you in the summer, but with snow on it, you’d want to be mental to drive it, literally

I did drive the Conor Pass when there was snow on it.... Felt frustrated then saw other cars going up sp followed them.

It was...interesting.. I thought once that if I was killed my family would never forgive me for driving it. Having lived in wild rural places I am fearless re this.

The real challenge was keeping eyes on the road as the scenery was utterly a sheer snow glory. And the view at the top....

I keep meaning to do a web article on the roads that thrill...

Getting down was interesting too... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Maybe just maybe with this end Dec/beginning January event the Cork snowshield will be well and truly broken!
    I'm thinking of Leahyl and others!
    Roll on the rollercoaster I'm selling tickets!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Not buying a ticket until Kermit makes the thread. Looks messy at times even though freezing cold. Still most of us should see snowflakes fall from the sky in the next week even if the ground is wet.

The far mountains are dark and naked...

That wind would flay the frozen skin off your face.

West Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Wheelie Bin lid keeps swinging open, I've done a full compass swing and it still blows open. Surprisingly windy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Wheelie Bin lid keeps swinging open, I've done a full compass swing and it still blows open. Surprisingly windy here.

It's just a breeze :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

It's just a breeze :pac:

I'll remember that as I'm chasing empty milk cartons around the road :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

pauldry wrote: »
    Not buying a ticket until Kermit makes the thread. Looks messy at times even though freezing cold. Still most of us should see snowflakes fall from the sky in the next week even if the ground is wet.

The ground being wet is not the issue, if the temperature above it is sufficiently low enough the snow will stick. The best example of this i can remember was the evening of December 16th 2010, when after a day of heavy rain, 10 minutes after the rain had changed to snow it started to stick readily, despite how soaked the ground was. I could barely believe it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

100%, the dampness of the ground has little impact as the temperature falls in snow fall, it freezes anyway.

It's irritating for sure in short sleety snow showers when there is not enough time to lower the temperatures but generally it's not really the issue it's made out to be.

P.S graupel, which some complain about for some reason, is the quickest way to lay icy foundations wet or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The ground being wet is not the issue, if the temperature above it is sufficiently low enough the snow will stick. The best example of this i can remember was the evening of December 16th 2010, when after a day of heavy rain, 10 minutes after the rain had changed to snow it started to stick readily, despite how soaked the ground was. I could barely believe it at the time.

even as recently as 2 March 2019 comes to mind.

Repeating my post in the other thread,. The wind has strengthened and a gale is due and has changed to northerly/northeasterly.

And anything is possible with a northerly gale! WATCH THIS SPACE! (DRUMROLL!)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

It's looking very interesting around new years. I think given the low night time temps. The likely northern sources air mass. There will be very icy conditions. The probability of snow is also increasing. haven't seen weather like this modelled for January since I started model watching. Not quite 2010 or 2018 but given time of year I think the depth of cold might surprise us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭mcburns07

It's looking very interesting around new years. I think given the low night time temps. The likely northern sources air mass. There will be very icy conditions. The probability of snow is also increasing. haven't seen weather like this modelled for January since I started model watching. Not quite 2010 or 2018 but given time of year I think the depth of cold might surprise us

Some interesting weather would be such a brilliant distraction from everything else going on over the next few months. Bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭White Clover

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Some interesting weather would be such a brilliant distraction from everything else going on over the next few months. Bring it on.

For some!! For others, it would be more stress on top of everything else going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

For some!! For others, it would be more stress on top of everything else going on.

Hopefully snow on top of more snow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Very windy in my county but no snow at the moment on lower ground only on higher ground in mountainous areas this morning. Snow possible at weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

Cold and a wind that would cut you in two in East Clare all day, no sign of snow..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Be right back

Tricky for those who are working over New Years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

sparrowcar wrote: »

Try a 180 vertical. That'll sort it.

Advertisement