Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Why isn't anyone criticising Hogan for costing his team the match? His elbow was completely uncalled for. But no, much easier to slam the referee for actually applying the rules.

I don't think he cost the team the match to be fair. Tipp would have won anyway based on the second half performance . And I feel he was hard done by,not that I disagree with the decision being played by the rules, but the ref chose to let a lot go before that and should have been consistent. He had no clue what happened, don't think linesman knew anything more. It seemed the decision was made by ref after look at the player..yellow but wouldn't have changed the result I think..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Seadin

Kilkenny haven't won an All Ireland in the rain since 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭larrya

Nope. That was a red.

So a wild swing with a hurl to the head is not as bad as a loose shoulder come elbow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

jluv wrote: »
    I don't think he cost the team the match to be fair. Tipp would have won anyway based on the second half performance . And I feel he was hard done by,not that I disagree with the decision being played by the rules, but the ref chose to let a lot go before that and should have been consistent. He had no clue what happened, don't think linesman knew anything more. It seemed the decision was made by ref after look at the player..yellow but wouldn't have changed the result I think..

Not sure about the result staying the same with Hogan on the pitch for the full match. Psychology plays a large part in sport and if it was felt Hogan's sending off was harsh it could have led to 'it's not our day' mind set. Look we'll never know but the game was neck and neck until his sending off.
    Ideally we needed a goal once we went a few points up in the first half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Watched a replay of Barrett's hit on Hogan. He should have got a yellow at least. I think the difference between his hit and Hogan's is the intent. Barrett was reckless in his attempt to go for the ball. Hogan looked like he was settling a score.

• Advertisement

holyhead wrote: »
    Not sure about the result staying the same with Hogan on the pitch for the full match. Psychology plays a large part in sport and if it was felt Hogan's sending off was harsh it could have led to 'it's not our day' mind set. Look we'll never know but the game was neck and neck until his sending off.
    Ideally we needed a goal once we went a few points up in the first half.

I guess my point was you cant blame him based on the decision that the ref made. Harsh IMO. But Tipp in the second half were phenomenal. Their passing was fantastic. Felt it was their day..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

If the Sunday game are going for score of the year then Wexford have a good chance between Liam Ryan in the semi-final and Conor Mac in the Leinster final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Bubbles fouled the ball on that ridick point he got there. Threw up and caught it.

No difference obviously and no way ref would spot it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Tipperary had a great spread of scores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

The brown shoes are still the go too shoe in Ireland anyway :D

• Advertisement

I guess my point was you cant blame him based on the decision that the ref made. Harsh IMO. But Tipp in the second half were phenomenal. Their passing was fantastic. Felt it was their day..

I wouldn't blame Richie for us losing. However being a man down is obviously a handicap. He gave the referee a decision to make.

What I am fascinated to see is what becomes of this side next year. What new players will emerge to compliment the existing panel. This panel was not expected to make the AIF this year.

Jackie Tyrell talking rubbish.

Jackie Tyrell talking rubbish.

What's he saying?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

No box for Marty to stand on here.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

If the Sunday game are going for score of the year then Wexford have a good chance between Liam Ryan in the semi-final and Conor Mac in the Leinster final

Dowling is surely going to win that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Gachla

You'd miss Mick Lyster for these types of occasions.

What's he saying?

In the spirit of the All Ireland Final,Richie Hogan shouldn't have got a red card,no one on the panel agreed with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

What's he saying?

Shouldn't have been a red because it's all Ireland day basically. Said it's a split second decision to make that tackle. Failed to mention that it's a split second decision to allow the elbow be hanging out to clip a lad on the chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

larrya wrote: »
    a loose shoulder come elbow

Did the phrase "knowing your arse from your elbow" originate from similar analysis?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Those "liam" licence plates are fair annoying. There on every second car to u see

• Advertisement

In the spirit of the All Ireland Final,Richie Hogan shouldn't have got a red card,no one on the panel agreed with him.

He needs to shuffle off back to Littlewoods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

I haven't seen any comment on the point given by Hawk Eye. I'm convinced there is something wrong. There is no way a goalie can bend his wrist backwards so the ball in his hand has gone behind the crossbar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Limpy wrote: »

I'd give it to Callanan for the goal against Wexford.

Best goal since John Fenton against Limerick.

The traditional skill of ground hurling beats any of that new-fangled batting ****e any day of the year.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

It's a bit disappointing to see pundits incapable of parking their allegiances when giving analysis.

Getting well paid for it, if you can be impartial then you shouldn't be given the opportunity. To be fair it's not just about today, as an example I've a lot of time for Cummins but he wasn't objective discussing whether Heffernan should be banned for the final the last day either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

larrya wrote: »
    Congrats to tipp but red card completely changed the game and I think it was harsh, Barrett made the most of it and should be embarrassed looking back.saying that tipp looked to be getting on top at the time

Not harsh.

Got a right rattle from an elbow. Why he should be embarrassed only God knows!?

But as a KK person I can see where he is coming from. As a rival supporter you'd support the decision of the ref and welcome it. But...in light of how the game was being reffed it was a harsh decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭larrya

lawred2 wrote: »
    Not harsh.

Got a right rattle from an elbow. Why he should be embarrassed only God knows!?[/quote

But as a KK person I can see where he is coming from. As a rival supporter you'd support the decision of the ref and welcome it. But...in light of how the game was being reffed it was a harsh decision.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

I'd give it to Callanan for the goal against Wexford.

Best goal since John Fenton against Limerick.

The traditional skill of ground hurling beats any of that new-fangled batting ****e any day of the year.

:D

I think shinty is the game for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Can someone buy Jackie Tyrell a pair of socks!

This Sunday Game format is rubbish. All of the lads except Derek and Cyril look like they are attending a wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

This Sunday Game format is rubbish. All of the lads look like they are attending a wedding.

Do sky tv do a highlights program.....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Those "liam" licence plates are fair annoying. There on every second car to u see

The proceeds go towards the holiday fund so no harm

crossman47 wrote: »
    I haven't seen any comment on the point given by Hawk Eye. I'm convinced there is something wrong. There is no way a goalie can bend his wrist backwards so the ball in his hand has gone behind the crossbar.

Brendan Cummins just briefly mentioned that he wouldn't agree that it was a point.I would definitely like to hear more goalkeepers views on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

threeball wrote: »
    I think shinty is the game for you

It might well be.

The death of ground hurling depresses me greatly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

A red card, while damaging, is not a death knell and plenty of teams have gone on to win or draw games after getting them.

Off the top of my head, the last 3 red cards Tipperary have gotten in the championship:
    • v Wexford this year - down by 5 and came back to win
    • v Waterford last year - down by 11 and came back to draw
    • v Limerick in 2016 - Played virtually the whole game with 14 and won well.
    Very surprised by how Kilkenny capitulated after the (deserved) red card, tactically so poor.

It's a bit disappointing to see pundits incapable of parking their allegiances when giving analysis.

Getting well paid for it, if you can be impartial then you shouldn't be given the opportunity. To be fair it's not just about today, as an example I've a lot of time for Cummins but he wasn't objective discussing whether Heffernan should be banned for the final the last day either.

Shefflin today and Tyrrell tonight two more embarrassing examples as well

Mokuba wrote: »
    Very surprised by how Kilkenny capitulated after the (deserved) red card, tactically so poor.

Before the red I felt Tipp were atrocious and Kilkenny should have had them dead and buried. A Kilkenny team from a few years ago would have punished them.

Once Hogan got the red I couldn't see them winning.

marvin80 wrote: »
    Before the red I felt Tipp were atrocious and Kilkenny should have had them dead and buried. A Kilkenny team from a few years ago would have punished them.

To be fair the Kilkenny team from a few years was possibly the greatest the game has ever seen so comparing this side to that is a bit pointless. Kilkenny lack goals and ultimately that was our achilles heel. We suffered a self inflicted wound and Tipp took full advantage. Such is sport.

Cody's comment about the refs taking their time to make a decision is embarrassing.

• Advertisement

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Do sky tv do a highlights program.....?

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

We were very poor in the opening 15 minutes but I believe the tide was already turning - we were starting to win our individual battles and had already gone ahead in the game despite playing probably our worst hurling of the whole year in the opening 15, Limerick game included.

Not only that but in that period we were denied a fairly obvious penalty which would have had us a couple in front by the time the red card was given.

It was a turning point for sure, but not as much of one as some are making out, and as I pointed out a few minutes ago it isn't a death knell and a team can respond to it in many ways. Kilkenny chose to persist with the same bad tactic for 35 minutes.

I'll have to do a full rewatch as my perspective is that from the stands so I could have missed things, but that's my view on it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

Cody's comment about the refs taking their time to make a decision is embarrassing.

Yes. They wanted to be sure they were right which is what Cody says he wanted.

Shefflin today and Tyrrell tonight two more embarrassing examples as well

What shyte was shefflin spouting today.....had to do with sky’s version today......in a pub in south of Spain.......RTÉ should never have participating county’s ex players no matter how legendary doing any analysis.....they simply can’t be expected to be impartial.....there surely cant a shortage of neutral players.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

crossman47 wrote: »
    Yes. They wanted to be sure they were right which is what Cody says he wanted.

He only wanted them to do what he wanted not to be right. Kilkenny don’t lose very much and aren’t taking it very well. The comments for Shefflin and Tyrell on television re the sending off are disgraceful. It was a clear red card irrespective of Barrett’s reaction. Cody also very ungracious. It’s not like they lost by a point. They were hammered. I think Tipp would have won easily anyway (we will never know). Kilkenny have a style that is based on aggression and a sending off is always possible when you play on the edge. All this playing the victim stuff smells of sour grapes.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

But if the decision was against you.? Two wrongs just means two wrongs.. I honestly don't think that ref or linesman saw what happened. One player going in hard. One player stepped back. Got caught. No objection. Player makes a meal of it, ref put in a position. For those critics saying the kk anylists are playing it down. Of course you would. If any other team had to defend it they w..

IS there any need for it ?

Will he retire from his permanent position. I believe he retired from his part time job a couple of years ago (teaching)....? He can’t go on forever surely....would not be a time to hang up the ‘black base-ball’ cap 🧢......?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

They need to sort this Hawkeye sh1t out. Hogan just said there wasn't a hope it was over. Like most suspected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

Graeme Mulcahy coming across really well on Sunday Game. Never even seen him interviewed before

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

threeball wrote: »
    They need to sort this Hawkeye sh1t out. Hogan just said there wasn't a hope it was over. Like most suspected.

Agreed. It only shows the potential flight of the ball, not the fact that it actually crossed the crossbar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement