Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wife beaters, what makes them tick?

Options
124»

Comments

I have worked in the area of DV for a long time.

There are just as many female abusers out there as male.

It is predominantly due to some underlying MH issue that causes the abuser to not recognise their limits when it comes to anger management or narcissistim. Many people also grow up in that environment and believe it to be normal.

I saw another poster mention that many people seem to be drawn to abusers. That is not the case.

What is the case is that many victims suffer from severe self esteem issues. This is easily recognised in body language, facial expressions etc. The correct way to phrase it would be.

May abusers deliberately seek out partners with low self esteem to control them and abuse them.

I've experienced it a little differently. Women and men, who are stuck a pattern of unhealthy and abusive relationships due to their own lack of self worth. Even more than that, there's often a constellation of factors at play.

When it comes to who remains and who walks away? That difference often comes down to how much you value yourself.

Advertisement