Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wife beaters, what makes them tick?

Options
  • 14-01-2021 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭pgj2015

This is something I have never been able to get my head around, why do men beat their wives/partners? im guessing it is because they are deeply unhappy with their lives but so are a lot of people and they would never do such a thing.

what is their problem? I will never get my head around it, beating someone smaller and weaker than you. pure scum obviously, it is something I couldnt forgive if I found out a friend of family member were guilty of it. The scary thing is it seems to be very common.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

pgj2015 wrote: »
    This is something I have never been able to get my head around, why do men beat their wives/partners? im guessing it is because they are deeply unhappy with their lives but so are a lot of people and they would never do such a thing.

what is their problem? I will never get my head around it, beating someone smaller and weaker than you. pure scum obviously, it is something I couldnt forgive if I found out a friend of family member were guilty of it. The scary thing is it seems to be very common.

May it makes them feel more manly/ powerful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Tiny penis more than likely. The government should provide free penis pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They’re bullies basically and control freaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I wonder if someone was a bully in school, would they be a higher risk for being a woman beater when they get older?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

not to make light of it, but as Jimmy Carr said
    It's just so stupid, isn't it? Beating your wife... I mean, it's your wife- it's like keying your own car!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

It's men who want to control everything around them.

They can't control anything much, but they might be able to control their family by literally beating them into submission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Scumbags gonna scum.

It's been who want to control everything around them.

They can't control anything much, but they might be able to control their family by literally beating them into submission.

The ones I have come across seem to fit that theory, losers who have nothing going for them most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Mentally retarded they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's no singular reason. The majority are major control freaks who manipulate through violence. They want others to do what they say, and get frustrated when they don't, believing that beating them back into line is OK.
    There are other forms of coercive control, abusive partners that are never violent, I don't think "wife beaters" should be top of the scum pile just because their nature is more overt. Other types of abuse can be considerably more damaging.

A smaller proportion are individuals with major anger issues or other mental illness, who cannot control their emotions and lash out in anger.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    There's no singular reason. The majority are major control freaks who manipulate through violence. They want others to do what they say, and get frustrated when they don't, believing that beating them back into line is OK.
    There are other forms of coercive control, abusive partners that are never violent, I don't think "wife beaters" should be top of the scum pile just because their nature is more overt. Other types of abuse can be considerably more damaging.

A smaller proportion are individuals with major anger issues or other mental illness, who cannot control their emotions and lash out in anger.

why cant they? That sounds like an excuse for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭statto25

Ive been doing some research into this and it can stem from unresolved childhood issues such as abuse or witnessing abuse. They take away those experiences and then apply them to their own lives. It sounds mad that you'd rehash the past in your own life but its all too common

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's such a terrible and despicable thing to do, violence against the person who loves you and lives with you.
    All too common I'm sure :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you've ever been overcome with grief or anger, you understand what it feels like to have an emotion take control of you despite your best effort to keep it under wraps.

For most of us the threshold for this is incredibly high, and even when it does happen we can usually bring ourselves back in line by walking away or taking deep breaths or whatever.

But imagine that you were mentally not strong enough to wrestle that back under control. Think about how emotionally fragile you are in the depths of a sickness, or after fifty pints the previous night. And imagine you felt like that all the time.

Managing emotion is a skill that most people learn naturally as we grow up, but some people may have a mental illness (like depression, bipolar disorder, etc) that makes emotional regulation difficult. Others may have suffered a physical brain injury or PTSD which affects their learned ability to regulate their emotions.

I have no doubt there is a cohort who feel like throwing a few punches is OK when you're angry. But for many who just lash out, it's a fundamental failure of emotional regulation. That doesn't excuse it, but it doesn't necessarily make them "bad people" unless they refuse to acknowledge the problem and try to fix it.

Think about that guy that everyone knew as a teenager who would end up in fights at the end of night after a few pints. Poor ability to regulate their emotions, but they could just about hold it together sober. You probably don't remember them as controlling or manipulative, yet they'd somehow always find someone to pick a fight with at the end of the night. Sometimes these guys grow up and the only person to pick a fight with is their spouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

It's the love for vests

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Because they are weak

I don't think Seamus was excusing them at all

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Because they are weak

I don't think Seamus was excusing them at all

I think some of them are just bad to the core, evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 arex93

seamus wrote: »
    That doesn't excuse it, but it doesn't necessarily make them "bad people" unless they refuse to acknowledge the problem and try to fix it.

Agree, if we treat them as bad people/monsters we are already saying that they have no solution. And I believe that it is possible to change the behaviour if you are open to change and look for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Stella artois

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There's an element of women being drawn to violent men with some marrying them. Before everyone piles on top of me and accuses me of being a neckbeard misogynist, I'm not victim blaming here just stating how things are.

Nerds who wouldn't hurt a fly - little or no success with women. No wife = no wife beating.
    Gangsters, thugs, drug dealers, sociopaths, bullies, assholes - plenty of success with women.

So what makes wife beaters tick, in many cases it's just them being their usual asshole if not thug selves. Same individuals likely to engage in animal cruelty IME.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭randd1

Domestic abusers are just scum. Mentally weak people who need to feel in control by exerting physical violence on their partner. Some even get a thrill out of it.

I think some of them are just bad to the core, evil.

of course but some are just very weak , my fiances granddad was a chronic alcoholic who drank himself to death , he kicked the bucket at fifty one but beat his wife along with leaving the eight kids near starving , he was a pathetic loser rather than evil

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Stella artois

Special Brew

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭randd1

BrianD3 wrote: »
    There's an element of women being drawn to violent men with some marrying them. Before everyone piles on top of me and accuses me of being a neckbeard misogynist, I'm not victim blaming here just stating how things are.

Nerds who wouldn't hurt a fly - little or no success with women. No wife = no wife beating.
    Gangsters, thugs, drug dealers, sociopaths, bullies, assholes - plenty of success with women.

So what makes wife beaters tick, in many cases it's just them being their usual asshole if not thug selves. Same individuals likely to engage in animal cruelty IME.

The insane idea that they can take a bad boy and make him good, and change him into a prince of sorts. Fairytale stuff that usually has a nightmare ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

What about Husband beaters

What about Husband beaters?

/

BrianD3 wrote: »

it is indeed the case that violent thugs are rarely single or at least celibate , most in jail have female visitors and are rarely without offspring , many women are attracted to that type of guy

dennyire wrote: »
    What about Husband beaters

What about Husband beaters?

/

they exist too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

It probably happens more than we care to admit.
    Women don't really like nice men but even nice men can be abusive. I've had one or two relationships and while I've never been violent or close to it, I can see how situations can deteriorate before you even know it. Sometimes my feeling of ineptness would spiral out of control and I'd just want to fly off the handle. With me, it manifested itself in defensiveness. I think men who are more prone to being aggressive but have the same insecurities would react by being physically violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    they exist too

And except for AMEN we would know nothing about it.
    Most men would be too ashamed to admit that there being beaten up by theirn wife wouldnt even talk to thir best friend or family about it, let alone go to Gardai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They'll never take responsibility for their own actions. It's always the partners fault for "winding them up" or some sob story from their youth, anger management issues etc.

It's never "I am a bad person and I make bad choices".

Advertisement