Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Mi Max 2 - 5300Mah, 6.4"Phablet - 199 eur delivered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

Ten Pin wrote: »
    AFAIK "Data Roaming" needs to be on for 48 data to work (similar to Tesco & Lyca).
    Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭N.96

tedpan wrote: »
    Yep, also check all of data settings are there. Did you manually input 48's APN settings and is data switched on?

Thank you, you're a lifesaver (and to others who suggested same)!

Just checked and some of the APN settings were wrong and now i've fixed them it seems to be working perfectly!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Sorry to dig up an old (ish) thread, but I am very interested in getting the MI Max 2, 64gb.
    Any tech problems to report from those who have been using them for the 6 - 9 mth timeframe.
    T.I.A.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Sorry to dig up an old (ish) thread, but I am very interested in getting the MI Max 2, 64gb.
    Any tech problems to report from those who have been using them for the 6 - 9 mth timeframe.
    T.I.A.

No tech problems at all. The only issue may be a little pain in your fingers. Personally, I'd consider something a little smaller next time or if it's this big, then something with almost zero bezels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The Mi Max 3 is out now just FYI, I'm currently using the mi max 2 and love it. May upgrade to the 3 towards the end of the year but as of now, I don't see the need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ordered a Mi Max 3 at the weekend, we have a thread going over in Android Devices, it was only released a few days ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Thargor wrote:
    Ordered a Mi Max 3 at the weekend, we have a thread going over in Android Devices, it was only released a few days ago.

How much did you pay?

Thargor wrote: »

I was looking at the Max 3 specs somewhere and saw that they removed the headphone jack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

I've had the mi max 2 for a good few months now and can't fault it at all performance wise it's still going strong. I still think it's a bit big for my liking though and I'll definitely go for a smaller screen next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭smilerf

Over a year here and apart from a reset now and again because it doesn't pick up wifi or 3g it's great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I've had mine 9 months now and it's an exceptional phone for the price

Downsides so far:
    - bit too big
    - camera is hit and miss, mostly miss

Will change to something slightly small at some point in the near future

I've had mine 9 months now and it's an exceptional phone for the price

Downsides so far:
    - bit too big
    - camera is hit and miss, mostly miss

Will change to something slightly small at some point in the near future

What is the problem with the camera?

tedpan wrote: »
    How much did you pay?
    338 EUR, could have had it for 308 EUR but I told Aliexpress to send it by Dhl express 7 days as I need a new phone ASAP, no customs worries with Dhl either. Mi Global Store on Aliexpress are one of the main reccomended sellers for Xaoimi stuff so not worried about getting scammed either.

Edit: that's for the 6gb RAM, 128gb ROM version, there's a 4gb/64 gb version for a good bit cheaper but that's a little weak heading towards 2019.

I was looking at the Max 3 specs somewhere and saw that they removed the headphone jack.
    Nope, it's there. 3.5mm jack and no hideous notch are what attracted me to it in the first place, plus the giant screen obviously.

Other perks you don't see in other phones:

5500 mAh battery, have a look at the YouTube reviews in the thread over in Android Devices, people making it to day 4 of normal use before charging. Can be used as a powerbank to charge other devices.

FM radio

IR blaster, phone can be used as a universal remote for tvs/entertainment centres etc.

This is the Max 3 we're talking about here by the way, not the 2 in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

Hi - I have the Mi Max 2 and recently bought the lenovo watch 9 - for some reason it won't match up with it - Anyone ever come across this. I have an S8 as well and it paired up no bother. Thanks

Thargor wrote:
    338 EUR, could have had it for 308 EUR but I told Aliexpress to send it by Dhl express 7 days as I need a new phone ASAP, no customs worries with Dhl either. Mi Global Store on Aliexpress are one of the main reccomended sellers for Xaoimi stuff so not worried about getting scammed either.

Thargor wrote:
    Edit: that's for the 6gb RAM, 128gb ROM version, there's a 4gb/64 gb version for a good bit cheaper but that's a little weak heading towards 2019.

Nice, where did you order it from?

Mi Global Store on Aliexpress. Can't link now, on mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

What is the problem with the camera?

Lighting needs to be very good and subject needs to be very still for a high quality photo.

That's my personal experience.

Lots of blurring in photos

Is the mi max 3 camera any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stephenmario

Lighting needs to be very good and subject needs to be very still for a high quality photo.

That's my personal experience.

Lots of blurring in photos

Mine doesn't really work with snapchat for some reason, it will focus in and out constantly. The camera is the only thing I consider bad about it. But for 200 quid it's better than what I would expect given all the other perks. No other issues really.

• Advertisement

Is the mi max 3 camera any good?
    Good in daylight apparently, waiting on an update for image stabilization:

Badly in need of an update to improve night time performance though:

24 Hour Review:

Very good battery life, 3 days +:

Thargor wrote:
    Mi Global Store on Aliexpress. Can't link now, on mobile.

It's on eglobal for 257e. Think I need a treat 😂

That's because you're looking at the Gold version of the 4gb RAM / 64gb ROM model. The gold looks hideous and 4gb/64gb is pretty mean by todays standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

That's because you're looking at the Gold version of the 4gb RAM / 64gb ROM model. The gold looks hideous and 4gb/64gb is pretty mean by todays standards.

Tell that to the likes of Samsung who still think 16 gb is appropriate and 32 gb is generous in this bracket

Thargor wrote:

True, I think I'll have to go for the 6GB version. At least both are still expandable

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AS1890

How did you avoid customs? Ordered a Mi A1 for €160 got caught for €54 customs think it was €39 customs & €15 DHL handling fee.

Is it easy to put music on a Mi Max do they have a similar program like iTunes

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

iTunes has been discontinued. Welcome to 2018, we stream now.

It's drag and drop on all android phones. There will be a default music app on the phone, you can download other players from the play store if you want more options.

• Advertisement

AS1890 wrote: »
    How did you avoid customs? Ordered a Mi A1 for €160 got caught for €54 customs think it was €39 customs & €15 DHL handling fee.
    When buying a phone on Aliexpress, and its been this way for years across multiple sellers, if you choose free shipping the phone takes ~30-40 days to arrive on the slow boat from China and theres a chance customs will seize it and demand their slice before they release it, usually around 10%? I dont know as Ive never been caught.

Or you can pick the DHL delivery option, which is usually around €30 like I paid for the Mi Max 3, this cuts delivery time to a week or two, maybe even 3/4/5 days, plus no customs on delivery. I dont know how it works exactly but its been this way for years. You mention €15 DHL handling so not sure whats going on there. A lot of sellers offer to refund customs if caught so maybe worth a complaint/dispute?

By the way everyone who ordered the 6GB/128GB version of the Mi Max 3 from the Mi Global Store has been told they have to wait 2 weeks before it ships regardless if they paid DHL or not, holdup at the factory and high demand apparently :mad:

Advertisement