Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex Katia storm thread - TECHNICAL DISCUSSION, FORECASTS AND OBSERVATIONS ONLY!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I think the summary for 00z guidance is faster arrival, slight weakening trend due to northward track shift of about 1 deg. But NOGAPS has moved against the herd to show a stronger outcome.

Still a dangerous storm for the northwest and who knows which way the road will turn later today ... the hurricane looks to be fighting the colder water southeast of Newfoundland but will be back over somewhat warmer water later today.

The details on any frontal processes Sunday night may also bring in some last-minute changes in wind forecasts at least locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The general trend seems to be now that the storm isnt going to be extremely dangerous and I see Met Eireann have put the gusts down to 120kmph. Hopefully it will steer a bit east and make it stormier for everyone.
    Harps wrote: »
    Either of you near Sliabh League? Wont get many windier spots than up there on Monday!

I'm 20 mins from there, but I wouldn't fancy being up there with those winds incase I got blown away! :)

Odd the NHC website has been down for me the past day, but If I use a proxy it works fine, maybe they stopped letting people outside of USA use their site.

o5SQL.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I WANNA GOOO!!! :(:(:(

Then pick up some red bulls when leaving work Monday morning. The chase is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

Met Erieann have the stronger winds in the east on Monday.:eek:
    173907.jpg

• Advertisement

John mac wrote: »
    Met Erieann have the stronger winds in the east on Monday.:eek:
    They don't know their right from their left :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

seriously last night, the wind was howling, surely it can't be as bad as it was last night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Last night was only a small starter portion. Wait till ye see the size of the main course tomorrow night !

What's the Dublin wind record ? How will this event compare ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Not expecting much down here....similar to last night probably....looking for a nice southward push today...its only fair you Northerns share the interesting weather :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Aaaw I really hope it changes course and we get a good storm down here :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Been far too long since we had a decent one :)

Fingers crossed :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

John mac wrote: »
    Met Erieann have the stronger winds in the east on Monday.

Ignoring the 62 over Ulster? :)

The west does seem a bit off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

Tactical wrote: »
    Been far too long since we had a decent one :)

Fingers crossed :):)

defo , would be nice to see a decent one alright...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

nevermind sunday night it looks like its right on our doorstep right now

http://www.sat24.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

6z slightly further south.

We would need to see the next 3 runs continue in this vain before i became particularly worried about its impact for IMBY.

Meanwhile the northwest is still at risk for gusts to 80 knots.

Rtavn481.png

philstar wrote: »

Oh that's just her much smaller baby brother. He's loosening a few leaves for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Winds getting up since last night with gusts of 50-60 km (lots of small broken branches)

Winds coming from wsw and strenghtening....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

MTC quoted in the Irish Daily Star :
    "IWO forecaster Peter O'Donnell said "Severe Storm conditions will arrive shortly after midnight Sunday and last through most of Monday"

Headline though - "100mph winds to batter Ireland"

• Advertisement

Irish Daily Mail has same quote from M.T. And headline reads "Now we have to endure a Storm!"

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

irish1967 wrote: »
    Oh that's just her much smaller baby brother. He's loosening a few leaves for her.

And lets not forget that she is going to eat that little boy for her breakfast before she hits us right. Her little brother is blowing well here in Kerry, as he has been all night, at least the fishing should be good after she has done her worst.

Regards Wez

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

philstar wrote: »

grrrr @ this little bugger. youghal will have to wait another day, i'll be blown away by the looks of things.

wouldn't mind being in tramore tomorrow or monday, 10ft swells!!!!! that would be a sweet site to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

The views of iWeather Online Senior Forecaster Peter O’Donnell

An advance alert is warranted for coastal regions from Clare to Donegal. For a zone further east and south including Kerry I would suggest the frequent crossing of fingers because this will not be a non-event so much as a marginal-to-damaging wind potential situation. There will almost definitely be widespread gusts near 50 knots from this, and with trees in full leaf and somewhat saturated ground conditions, trees can rather easily come down in such winds (as demonstrated with Irene in New York state and some other places recently).
    Bottom line is this — if you live in Clare, Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Donegal, Derry, north Antrim or nearby parts of other counties, and not in some deep valley with hills off to your southwest, you should expect storm or hurricane force wind gusts between 0600 and 1500 hours on Monday. If you live in a region including most of Ulster, Leinster north and west of Dublin, or west Munster, you should be on alert for gusts between gale and storm force in a slightly later time frame. If you live in the southeast, you may be off the hook for now.

Katia.png

Katia.gif

http://www.stormpulse.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    grrrr @ this little bugger. youghal will have to wait another day, i'll be blown away by the looks of things.

wouldn't mind being in tramore tomorrow or monday, 10ft swells!!!!! that would be a sweet site to see
    I'll be out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Is this weather traces of Irene?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

Any links to webcams? Heres one from Ballina.... Calm at the moment!
    http://www.ballinalive.com/index.php/The-Ridge-Pool-Live-Web-Camera.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

gbee wrote: »
    Is this weather traces of Irene?

no, hurricane katia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Fair enough the winds could be/will be shocking on Monday but what level of rainfall would be expectied in the West of the country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

zenno wrote: »
    no, hurricane katia

He means the weather right now, not in 2 days' time.

Looking forward to see what comes of this - could potentially still be a hurricane at 30-20W despite it being "impossible" as the BBC said...

Advertisement