Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I thought I'd post this link here, a run down of one family's search for their cattle some two weeks after one of the recent fires in The US burned out their summer pastures.

https://m.facebook.com/100000394615251/posts/3425075960848857/?d=n
    That is terrible now.

Unfortunately the powers that be up their you know what will probably look at that and think the solution is to not permit any more grazing of forest land.

I read somewhere that forest companies and perhaps the state in California were getting revenue from businesses across the US using the forests as carbon negative crediting to offset their own emissions.
    There's a lesson there for all that forests are not carbon negative. It's only negative if it's locked in place from degradation and destruction which they weren't.
    The one true sink of carbon is the soil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Jjameson wrote: »
    And of course in tandem with leaving as much of it sunk under the ground as possible..

^^^

That's the only metric that matters any more. Stop adding a bigger load of C to be taken out and we might have a chance.

^^^

That's the only metric that matters any more. Stop adding a bigger load of C to be taken out and we might have a chance.
    Can you extrapolate a bit more on that please?
    After Hours has my brain fuzzed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Is there much point in talking about carbon sequestration into soils while allowing peat and turf to be extracted on an industrial scale?
    Same for ongoing drainage of peat soils and bog which causes release of stored carbon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Can you extrapolate a bit more on that please?
    After Hours has my brain fuzzed.

The emissions caused by Ag are high on the agenda atm but the figures used are intentionally misleading.

While the figure of 34% of all emissions in Ireland is correct, it's a gross figure. All the C emitted by Ag is C that already is present in the environment but there's no credit given for the uptake of C in the figures used to castigate Ag.

Added to that is the lack of credit for sequestration of C in Ag soils, predominately grassland. Teagasc found a figure of 1T of C being sequestered in grasslands. While that's a preliminary figure and may rise or fall somewhat when more data is added, again, no adjustment is made to the gross Ag emissions figures.

The root of the problem is the source of the added C being emitted. If there was no more C added from fossil fuels from today, we would have a lot of difficulty in taking up the last 30 or 40 years of added C from fossil fuels used to power our modern world.

Many have pointed to Regen Ag as the saviour that's going to suck up all the excess C added and store it in soils. It may even do that if widely adopted and the speculation on its usefulness in storing C is correct.

But it's all for nothing unless we stop sucking even more C out of longterm storage in fossil fuels.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If you want praise, die.
    If you want blame marry.

Always come to mind when I read obituaries

_Brian wrote: »
    Is there much point in talking about carbon sequestration into soils while allowing peat and turf to be extracted on an industrial scale?
    Same for ongoing drainage of peat soils and bog which causes release of stored carbon.

That reminds me, I must ring the digger man :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

_Brian wrote: »

I agree with you on industrial scale peat harvesting.
    With Bord na Mona shutting down this is nearly gone.

However, domestic cutting of turf for own use is something that should be maintained.
    To ban it is the equivalent of banning "unsustainable" beef farming in Ireland and buying Brazilian beef from the Amazon instead.

If people are stopped from cutting turf 90% would switch to over to oil central heating.
    And small scale turf cutting in a reasonable sized bog is effectively renewable in comparison to the fossilised C in Saudi Oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Neddyusa wrote: »

However, domestic cutting of turf for own use is something that should be maintained.
    To ban it is the equivalent of banning "unsustainable" beef farming in Ireland and buying Brazilian beef from the Amazon instead.

If people are stopped from cutting turf 90% would switch to over to oil central heating.
    And small scale turf cutting in a reasonable sized bog is effectively renewable in comparison to the fossilised C in Saudi Oil.

I disagree... Purely for the reason give people an inch and they’ll take a mile...

If you allow cutting for own use - I suspect you will continue to see plenty turf for sale on DoneDeal or the likes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

But if it’s displacing imported oil?

Yeah, I know - but there are other options other than oil for heating.

You can’t replace peat...

You can’t replace peat...

Easier replace it than oil.
    Just keep the land in an anaerobic environment with bog plants.

Although oil can be made via pyrolysis of biomass. But it's more labour than doing nothing with a bog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Neddyusa wrote: »

I would allow turf cutting.

But only with a slane. No 20 tonne machines making sausages.
    No tractors on the bog, everything to be barrowed out.

That’s the way it was done traditionally and I’d allow the tradition continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

There you go - that puts paid to the strange notion that losing Phil as trade commissioner would be a blow to Irish farmers.
    Phil was very happy to sign us up to Mercusor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I thought I'd post this link here, a run down of one family's search for their cattle some two weeks after one of the recent fires in The US burned out their summer pastures.

https://m.facebook.com/100000394615251/posts/3425075960848857/?d=n

God that's heart breaking. I've visited and stayed in the Plumas National Forest region in Northern California and its truely breathtakingly beautiful. Cant imagine the pain people living there are going through losing so much ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Any body know what the chip type is called that is used in etags?
    I'm looking at getting an rfid reader but there are different types of them and I want to be sure itll work

ganmo wrote: »
    I'm looking at getting an rfid reader but there are different types of them and I want to be sure itll work

I may be wrong but I think I remember being told that the chips can vary and need specific readers.

I posted a while ago about a Cockateil hanging around with a flock of starlings on the farm in the Nature on the farm thread.

Well he's gone.

But he turned up on a fishing boat 10 miles off Scotland. :)

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-54263087

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭emaherx

ganmo wrote: »

Worth a look if you are feeling like a DIY project.
    https://medium.com/invironment/build-a-cheap-rfid-tag-reader-for-uk-livestock-using-raspberrypi-zero-40be4904ff01
    The agricultural EID tags operate at a frequency of 134kHz. Widely available electronic card reader boards on Ebay mainly operate at 125kHz and are not suitable for reading UK sheep tags. Priority1designs in Melbourne, Australia are the only supplier of a suitable hardware solution that I can find. Their service and documentation is excellent and at a very reasonable price; I can highly recommend them.

Also some info on standards for animal EID tags.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_11784_and_ISO_11785

I think the tags are HDX (half duplex) type operating at 134.2kHz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭emaherx

I found this, so looks like Mullinahone Co-op use the Allflex HDX tags

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/electronic-tags-what-are-the-options-available-to-farmers/

Info from Allflex site, says you can use any reader which supports EID tags for both FDX and HDX types.
    https://www.cattletags.com/collections/allflex-electronic-id-tags

The frequency is the important thing to look out for, the 134.2khz is reserved for animal tags so most common RFID readers don't work.

Edit: seems some of the cheaper readers only support FDX type tags, but get one which supports both should cover any animal tag.

• Advertisement

On the countdown now to an angiogram on Monday morning, we should've all invested in hospitals like larry, The Beacon is charging €9800 for the procedure and VHI is paying €8800, I got on to the Beacon yesterday and they have conceded to waiver the €1000 so happy days.
    Going by the result of tests lately, I don't think stents are going to alleviate the symptoms, sure we'll see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

wrangler wrote: »
    On the countdown now to an angiogram on Monday morning, we should've all invested in hospitals like larry, The Beacon is charging €9800 for the procedure and VHI is paying €8800, I got on to the Beacon yesterday and they have conceded to waiver the €1000 so happy days.
    Going by the result of tests lately, I don't think stents are going to alleviate the symptoms, sure we'll see

Best of luck with that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Good luck, take it easy after it, no heavy lifting, sledges or hatchets. But your energy levels will improve rapidly after it. The dog will have the hind legs walked off him:pac:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My dad was to get an ecg in a Dublin hospital next week, they rang on Monday and said they could do it in a private clinic in drogheda on Wednesday just gone. Great service

whelan2 wrote: »
    My dad was to get an ecg in a Dublin hospital next week, they rang on Monday and said they could do it in a private clinic in drogheda on Wednesday just gone. Great service

Are you sure it was an ECG, my GP does ECGs in his own practise.
    I went into the local hospital about a month ago with chest pain and they did about six ECGs during the course of the day until It settled down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Grueller

Are you sure it was an ECG, my GP does ECGs in his own practise.
    I went into the local hospital about a month ago with chest pain and they did about six ECGs during the course of the day until It settled down

Bass, Jjameson and Brian may ease off on ya here!!!!!!

Grueller wrote: »
    Bass, Jjameson and Brian may ease off on ya here!!!!!!

That's the reason I retired, my days of wrestling with ewes are well over, OH does the work now

Henry and Bryony Andrews of Carbon Neutral Beef Company, Leworthy Manor, Devon.

https://www.fginsight.com/netzero/net-zero---articles/producing-carbon-neutral-beef

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Best of luck. Stay away from Base for 6 weeks after it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Hope everything goes well for you wrangler. I have heart related issues on my mind also. Am going on a blind date this afternoon. I’ve probably jinxed myself by posting this. Have a good day lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    Hope everything goes well for you wrangler. I have heart related issues on my mind also. Am going on a blind date this afternoon. I’ve probably jinxed myself by posting this. Have a good day lads!

Will ya be bringing out the fancy soap

Reggie. wrote: »
    Will ya be bringing out the fancy soap

Old spice or brut?

Old spice or brut?

Whichever works

Old spice or brut?

There was an auld fella around here who used to turn up in the local with a potent mixture of whatever aftershaves he had available. You'd want to be upwind to be safe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

gozunda wrote: »
    There was an auld fella around here who used to turn up in the local with a potent mixture of whatever aftershaves he had available. You'd want to be upwind to be safe...

https://youtu.be/rrckYWFgl4s

Sex panther aftershave.... 60% of the time it works eveytime..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/rrckYWFgl4s

Sex panther aftershave.... 60% of the time it works eveytime..

Bought stuff at the ploughing match once, think I still have a rash on my wrists alll these years on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Is there a competition for the most stubborn ould lad

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Bought stuff at the ploughing match once, think I still have a rash on my wrists alll these years on!

Think that might have been something else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Youtube ads are constantly showing me wedding venues. Now w=either they have seriously misjudged their audience, or someone has a surprise for me..

Odelay wrote: »
    Youtube ads are constantly showing me wedding venues. Now w=either they have seriously misjudged their audience, or someone has a surprise for me..

Google Cockateils and Coleus plants and your problem will be solved..

• Advertisement

Well how did it go ?

Well how did it go ?

Sure the nights early yet missus

Reggie. wrote: »
    Sure the nights early yet missus

I'm taking the fact hes not online as a good sign

I'm taking the fact hes not online as a good sign

I was going to tell him if he's not home by twelve. go to bed.
    But I thought I'd better not :D

I was going to tell him if he's not home by twelve. go to bed.
    But I thought I'd better not :D

Well at least we know the blind date is not from Dublin or Donegal.

Positives..:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Hope your blind date goes better than mine did. I’m married to her for 12 years now. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭Base price

@ Nekarsulm, Brian & Tanko - Happy Cavan day :D

Hope your blind date goes better than mine did. I’m married to her for 12 years now. ��

Did you see the husband on Gogglebox the last night, turns to the wife "I was promised a cow and a bit of land when we married, I never got the land" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

A vegan lady went on a blind date. She asked him what he did for a living. He said I’m a butcher. She says "yikes! that's gross". He says "No, a grocer sells vegetables"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭straight

Old spice or brut?

Tis the smell of money that works best I'm told.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement