Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Interslice wrote: »
    Is your ccv ok? You could try putting a smear of dirko sealant either side of the gasket too. Things could be worse i suppose.

I reckon the CCV is actually OK. My oil consumption isn't bad, and there's no tell tail signs of CCV failure to note. If I was really bored and had a garage/lift I would probably do it, but honestly I've avoided it for 6 years now, and I think I'll continue!

I reckon not using BMW parts might have been my failing the first two times, but to be fair it was probably 3 or 4 years ago that I did it last. I'll leave it go for now, and see how it drives. It's been solid as a rock the last while, and driving the arse off it up the hills probably exacerbated the issue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

If the CCV goes you'll definitely notice it, you'll get the MIL on with fault codes for system too lean in both banks, it will be down on power, smoke more, use more fuel, sound different and it will use a lot more oil. They're a dog of a car to drive when the breathers get blocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Somehow managed to land myself the Dublin airport family taxi run. Leaving at about 2am won’t be back home till about 5.30am such a time but at least the roads will be quite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Didn't know Norn Iron diesel testing was non-existent for emissions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

We don’t emission test diesel either, just a smoke test.
    Work in a garage that mostly deals in diesels for a day and you’ll understand why, dirty, chokey, ****e.

• Advertisement

Here in the Audi dealer getting apple car play installed on the A4. First time seeing / being in the new A6 it really is class so impressive inside wasn’t expected to be as impressed. Would be a real toss up for me between the new A5/A6 both are very nice.

Also seen the loaner / courtesy car A3 I had at the start of the year up for sale. What way does it work with these they just register new cars and use them as demos for 6 months and use them as courtesy cars before selling them on as this has 20k km on it and there was only about 2k km on it when I had it. Was actually the nicest 1.6tdi combo I drove but was slightly more powerful at 116bhp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

CIP4 wrote: »
    Here in the Audi dealer getting apple car play installed on the A4. First time seeing / being in the new A6 it really is class so impressive inside wasn’t expected to be as impressed. Would be a real toss up for me between the new A5/A6 both are very nice.

Also seen the loaner / courtesy car A3 I had at the start of the year up for sale. What way does it work with these they just register new cars and use them as demos for 6 months and use them as courtesy cars before selling them on as this has 20k km on it and there was only about 2k km on it when I had it. Was actually the nicest 1.6tdi combo I drove but was slightly more powerful at 116bhp.

Nice. What colour did you buy?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

5 series is still way nicer though imo! In fact I'd prefer a F10 that had business nav over the new A6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I am very very sorry. Pls delete....

As I said it's an odd comparison, and a few fellas on here like their BMs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Post deleted as requested. No need for apologies ;)

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Nice. What colour did you buy?:pac:

Daytona grey of course Haha ah no I have a new rule can only buy one car a year so may wait till January :pac:

Daytona grey of course Haha ah no I have a new rule can only buy one car a year so may wait till January :pac:
    You can order now for delivery on 191 plates you know :D:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Audi need to rewind a bit on the exteriors as the new ones are pig ugly. Looks like someone was let loose with a credit card and bought cheap chrome effect everything from Halfords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭Dartz

People have **** taste and shininess sells.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 manvilla

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Pretty sure it’s under the bonnet and marked CIG

I haven't been in here since I posted my question last week and I am still on the hunt for that fuse but I will have a look and let you know if it is there. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 manvilla

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Actually, I think there’s a cubby lid below the mirror switch, might be behind that.

I haven't been in here since I posted my question last week and I am still on the hunt for that fuse. Ill have a look for that lid and let you know if I find it. Thanks for taking time to reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Strange one, noticed yesterday that the rear drivers side wheel is tapered in at the front, ie, it's out of line. Can't be sure how long it's like that. Had it at two mechanics who can't see anything bent or out of place. One said they won't know until they start pulling at things, as they reckon something has to bent somewhere, the other reckoned to get the 4 wheel alignment checked first, as one of the lower arms may be adjusted more. No uneven wear on any of the back wheels either... Don't really notice it too giddy on the road either... I'm lost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Guy Martin racing his van at the ring documentary. On at 9pm channel 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Hal1 wrote: »
    Guy Martin racing his van at the ring documentary. On at 9pm channel 4.

seen the trailer for it during the week. looks like good craic. not your average transit.

https://youtu.be/YL0OscsT6S8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

2 months have passed already and I still can't shake how good this car was...:(:D

10 points to anybody who correctly guesses where this was taken :pac:

Austrian Alps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Was coming back from smoke at work and sow Lancia Delta integrale in car park. Beautiful thing. So obviously tried to take a sneaky pic, but owner was smoking outside and sow it!
    "Want to have a closer look?"
    "**** yeah!"
    The car was so damn clean. Sounded really nice. I felt in love! He let me sit inside too. Interior is very cool. Wooden finish wheel so weird, but felt very nice.
    Fair play to fella. I made him extra nice meal with extra sides on the house. We chefs are not assholes all the time. :D

Sorry, the only pic I have without reg. Wont post anyone elses car like that with reg, withput their approval.
    IMG-20181105-163359.jpg

I drove one around a carpark years ago........... low speed only and very respectfully.

Was coming back from smoke at work and sow Lancia Delta integrale in car park. Beautiful thing. So obviously tried to take a sneaky pic, but owner was smoking outside and sow it!
    "Want to have a closer look?"
    "**** yeah!"
    The car was so damn clean. Sounded really nice. I felt in love! He let me sit inside too. Interior is very cool. Wooden finish wheel so weird, but felt very nice.
    Fair play to fella. I made him extra nice meal with extra sides on the house. We chefs are not assholes all the time. :D
    Better love story than twilight.
    What do alfisti think of lancia!!

ELM327 wrote: »
    Better love story than twilight.
    What do alfisti think of lancia!!

Damm, I would sit on old fellas lap no problem if he would let me drive. :) Very sound fella, knew a good chunk of Lithuanian words. A lot more then my misses, and we live together!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Some car stuff coming up next week in Lidl:

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?id=614&week=2

Late leaving work so was pitch black on a national 80kmh road but Is quite a twisty road with no lighting was behind this transit with a trailer that was going 30-35kmh he nearly stopped when a car came the other way didn’t realise it until I passed him and he knocked of his head lights he had two working high beams and two parking lights that’s it no dipped beam or even fog lights on was actually scary really they can’t off been able to see a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Saw a 2018 Mini this morning, tail lights are like a British Flag section - nice little touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Saw a 2018 Mini this morning, tail lights are like a British Flag section - nice little touch.

They decided to fit that as standard to UK market ones (and I think other nations are getting them as standard as well) - but it's an optional extra for Irish cars. First time Ireland gets a different spec to the UK since BMW took over in 2004 (apart from kph clocks and the short lived E90 316i of course).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

BMW must be über aware of Irish history if that's the case :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

bazz26 wrote: »
    Some car stuff coming up next week in Lidl:

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?id=614&week=2

Would the battery charger with jump start function be any good does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Would the battery charger with jump start function be any good does anyone know?

I believe not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Big Nasty wrote: »

Beyond tacky union jack fetishists!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

May hike the insurance premiums here, any excuse, they be a target for the bowsies like, so insurance goes up E100 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

I believe not.

I have an older version with a built in compressor. Has worked well for years. Also have the SL plugged into one of the small trickle chargers too. All this stuff is TUV certified with a 3 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

They decided to fit that as standard to UK market ones (and I think other nations are getting them as standard as well) - but it's an optional extra for Irish cars. First time Ireland gets a different spec to the UK since BMW took over in 2004 (apart from kph clocks and the short lived E90 316i of course).

I was in Slovakia in September, Mini were doing a big promotion, all the models were there to test drive, all the models that had that square rear light were union flag ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

selous wrote: »
    I was in Slovakia in September, Mini were doing a big promotion, all the models were there to test drive, all the models that had that square rear light were union flag ones.

In places like Slovakia the union jack would only be associated with Austin powers, the sex pistols and all things cool. Try releasing a mini with hammer and sickle tail lights and see how she floats :D

tossy wrote: »
    In places like Slovakia the union jack would only be associated with Austin powers, the sex pistols and all things cool. Try releasing a mini with hammer and sickle tail lights and see how she floats :D

Feck it, in for a penny, go for a pound: one light hammer and sickle the other one is swastika. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Was meant to be picking up the Civic's replacement today but it's been put off until Monday now, would have liked to have had it for the weekend.

I'm taking guesses and i'll award a shiny penny to any correct ones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Was meant to be picking up the Civic's replacement today but it's been put off until Monday now, would have liked to have had it for the weekend.

Petrol saloon with around 200bhp?

I remember recommending an is250

Seems like you had the civic a long time. Did it give you much bother ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Jap hatch with turbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Integra dc2

Seems like you had the civic a long time. Did it give you much bother ?

Had it just shy of 3 years. Never had any issues worth talking about really, an ABS sensor was about the only thing outside of regular maintenance.

It was becoming increasing hard to ignore that the overheads for that car were not particularly low in terms of fuel, road tax, insurance. I took out a personal loan to buy it at the time and now that it's cleared, I was looking at other ways to get around and ideally reducing my monthly motoring bill.

Considered all sorts. I can confirm that the new car it isn't an IS250, nor is it a Toyota, or Japanese, or even petrol engined!

The new car is painfully mundane to me, but I reckon you'd approve :pac:

Had it just shy of 3 years. Never had any issues worth talking about really, an ABS sensor was about the only thing outside of regular maintenance.

It was becoming increasing hard to ignore that the overheads for that car were not particularly low in terms of fuel, road tax, insurance. I took out a personal loan to buy it at the time and now that it's cleared, I was looking at other ways to get around and ideally reducing my monthly motoring bill.

Considered all sorts. I can confirm that the new car it isn't an IS250, nor is it a Toyota, or Japanese, or even petrol engined!

The new car is painfully mundane to me, but I reckon you'd approve :pac:

I am going to guess you are going to drive the mk7 golf and your partner is getting a new car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

Passat maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

520deeee?

I am going to guess you are going to drive the mk7 golf and your partner is getting a new car.

Close, ish.

Golf Mk6.

R-line with 1.6 diesel engine, cheap tax, long life service intervals and it's had the emissions update... so pretty much the most hated car on boards.ie.

It's really a car for people who have no interest whatsoever in cars.

Close, ish.

Golf Mk6.

R-line with 1.6 diesel engine, cheap tax, long life service intervals and it's had the emissions update... so pretty much the most hated car on boards.ie.

It's really a car for people who have no interest whatsoever in cars.

R-line does it at least have a few extras on it so ? Nothing wrong with it and should definitely save you in running costs and will be a solid comfortable car to drive you could be in a lot worse.

R-line does it at least have a few extras on it so ?

It could have, I've also bought it online, never seen nor test driven it in person so hopefully it's in good order :pac:

Looks to have a touchscreen head unit, has some regular enough stuff like air con and cruise control etc, fairly vanilla but that'll do nicely.

Yeah, I reckon the saving will be around €2500 per year based on 35k kms.

It could have, I've also bought it online, never seen nor test driven it in person so hopefully it's in good order :pac:

Looks to have a touchscreen head unit, has some regular enough stuff like air con and cruise control etc, fairly vanilla but that'll do nicely.

Yeah, I reckon the saving will be around €2500 per year based on 35k kms.

It’s a fair bit of money to save yearly for having a similar enough car fair enough it’s not petrol but it’s not like you are going from an M3 either. Would you not have tried to get a 2.0tdi 140 one or are they still making a lot more money than the 1.6tdi ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement