Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this an Elephant?

Options
  • 21-08-2014 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

Something seems a bit off here....

319213.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

whoosh....was that your post going over my head?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Half the bumper is misssing...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Zv reg

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭JP 1800

It comes up as a sl350, presumably a r107 but that model is an R129 which did not come out until 1991. This kind of crap needs to be stamped out now or during the nct, or else us genuine classic car enthusiasts will bear the brunt of the usual knee jerk reaction of the powers that be. I have seen Land rovers which were obviously modern wearing ZV plates also, peoples desire for cheaper tax will bite them in the ass if an insurance claim comes into effect after an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Whatever about the landrovers but that is really taking the pisś.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Silvera

That merc (owner) is taking the piss ...bigtime!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

JP 1800 wrote: »
    It comes up as a sl350, presumably a r107 but that model is an R129 which did not come out until 1991. This kind of crap needs to be stamped out now or during the nct, or else us genuine classic car enthusiasts will bear the brunt of the usual knee jerk reaction of the powers that be. I have seen Land rovers which were obviously modern wearing ZV plates also, peoples desire for cheaper tax will bite them in the ass if an insurance claim comes into effect after an accident.

There's nothing illegal or contravening insurance about a declared body swap on to an older chassis though

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭JP 1800

There's nothing illegal or contravening insurance about a declared body swap on to an older chassis though

So how do you do a body swap on a monocoque chassis?. I was not referring to the landrovers when I meant the insurance part if done legally as you rightly mention, just to clear things up.

JP 1800 wrote: »
    So how do you do a body swap on a monocoque chassis?. I was not referring to the landrovers when I meant the insurance part if done legally as you rightly mention, just to clear things up.

Ah ok that's a whole nother story. Didn't know the merc's were a monocoque chassis/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Whatever about the landrovers but that is really taking the pisś.

Here's a real 142WW Defender 90 and a real old 88 - hard to tell them apart from some angles and especially to the untrained eye. ( Chap in 07 Brazilian T2c Bay told me a cop stopped him because he reckoned it was 'too old' to have a 07 reg, but Garda 'Hawkeye' was corrected on his 'knowledge' of T2's ;) )

• Advertisement

It begs the question - how did the Revenue 'official' pass that Merc as a vintage vehicle?

Now I know many such officials would have little knowledge of motor vehicles in general, but surely they could see that the Merc above is not 'over 30 years old'?

...or perhaps the owner is doing a spot of 'plate-swopping' with an older Merc he owns?? :confused: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Capri wrote: »
    Here's a real 142WW Defender 90 and a real old 88 - hard to tell them apart from some angles and especially to the untrained eye. ( Chap in 07 Brazilian T2c Bay told me a cop stopped him because he reckoned it was 'too old' to have a 07 reg, but Garda 'Hawkeye' was corrected on his 'knowledge' of T2's ;) )

It's almost impossible to tell them apart but in my opinion if someone is driving about in a zv reg'd modern where it possible to do a chassis swap we have to give the benefit if the doubt. It's not a practice I either endorse or condone, it's just a loophole but the merc driver should be ashamed of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I would have thought that the insurance would be ok as long as the car is described on the insurance form exactly as it physically is.

There is a picture of an MX5 somewhere on zv plates too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭mustang68

kev1.3s wrote: »
    ..... but the merc driver should be ashamed of himself.

herself. I should have engaged them in conversation, but I spent too long fiddling with my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I'm awake now. This sort of abuse will kill our Classic priviledges eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mikehn

[IMG][/img]DSC_0094-.jpg
    Funniest looking mini I ever saw:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I've mentioned that merc a number of times on boards but nobody ever seemed bothered by it. The reg belongs to a 1973 merc sl350. I don't know why the driver is never stopped as I've gone through numerous checkpoints nearby.

It lives near Churchtown in a nice house with a nice collection of cars. It's easily visible to anyone driving by. I just never got a chance to take a pic. I don't normally comment on appearances but money doesn't seem to be an issue where it resides. That picture looks like it was taken near the luas stop just up from the owners house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I've mentioned that merc a number of times on boards but nobody ever seemed bothered by it.

Maybe thats just it. They arent bothered by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Maybe thats just it. They arent bothered by it.

Either that, or it falls between the legal cracks between Enviroment (tax), Justice(tax) and ........,or there'll be an 'Operation Elephant' by the Revenue once they've got the numbers up to make it look good in the media ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

If it bothers you that much ring the guards.....tell them theres an abandoned car, might be used in a robbery....make up something to get them interested...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

If you can't beat em join em.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

I saw a 90 or 91 S124 200TE with an 81 D reg plate in Port Laoise today ..... and then there was the 89 W126 with a 76 D reg in Gorey!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Blue850

w124man wrote: »
    I saw a 90 or 91 S124 200TE with an 81 D reg plate in Port Laoise today ..... and then there was the 89 W126 with a 76 D reg in Gorey!!

I read somewhere that the W124 with the 81 plate was a genuine error made by the VRT when the car was cleared , an 8 instead of a 9 was typed in...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

And people wonder why there is talk of NCT testing the older cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭mustang68

ba_barabus wrote: »
    It lives near Churchtown in a nice house with a nice collection of cars. It's easily visible to anyone driving by. I just never got a chance to take a pic. I don't normally comment on appearances but money doesn't seem to be an issue where it resides. That picture looks like it was taken near the luas stop just up from the owners house.

Picture was taken near Templeogue bridge, I'm not too far from churchtown, I'll be keeping my eye out for it now.

If one was to report it, who would you report it to? Revenue?

And people wonder why there is talk of NCT testing the older cars...

It wouldn't make a difference though.
    Plenty of "2.0 on the book" 3.0+ cars still pass the NCT as is.

It wouldn't make a difference though.
    Plenty of "2.0 on the book" 3.0+ cars still pass the NCT as is.

It's one thing having a different engine, but surely they would spot that it's not a 1970's Mercedes?!

Silvera wrote: »
    It's one thing having a different engine, but surely they would spot that it's not a 1970's Mercedes?!

Not really, that's not part of the testing manual though.
    If it passes the relevant emissions and all the other stuff matches like VIN/chassis etc, they won't care what the actual car is.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Not really, that's not part of the testing manual though.
    If it passes the relevant emissions and all the other stuff matches like VIN/chassis etc, they won't care what the actual car is.

Really , if I drove in with an 840i on 1981 635 plate and vin number riveted on in place the 840 vin plate they wouldn't care?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

bbsrs wrote: »
    Really , if I drove in with an 840i on 1981 635 plate and vin number riveted on in place the 840 vin plate they wouldn't care?

Once the documents match the car I suppose there won't be too much thought.

Advertisement