Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this an Elephant?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Seen it heading out of Sligo towards Donegal this evening on a trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Blue850 wrote: »
    TIU *** ran from March 68 to Aug 68

1300 GT's were launched in Oct 1969.

We have a winner...!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

you are very sure there.
    What If I go out this morning and take the plates off my wife's car and put them on mine and she goes out in my uninsured car and has an accident. Does my Wife's policy pay out he third party just because her number is on my car?

I don't know the answer, just I think your answer is too simplistic

I think if your wife was paying for insurance for a certain car with reg abc and she then willingly drove another car with that same reg attached, she would be guilty of serious fraud. I believe there would in fact be a 3rd party payout if required but with 100 percent chance of insurer chasing her through the courts for recovery of costs. Given the obvious and knowing fraud, things would get very bad for wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Fact of the matter tho is if fraud was knowingly committed its the purpatrator and not the victim that will suffer.
    I think it's sad too that when I see a nice classic with an Irish plate my innital taught is if it's genuine or not and I'm not even that bothered by the plate. If the government was to issue age appropriate plates there wouldn't be an issue and we'd be able to take things at face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,126 ✭✭✭✭unkel

what a load of bull mate!

Only reporting what someone PM'd me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

mickdw wrote: »
    I think if your wife was paying for insurance for a certain car with reg abc and she then willingly drove another car with that same reg attached, she would be guilty of serious fraud. I believe there would in fact be a 3rd party payout if required but with 100 percent chance of insurer chasing her through the courts for recovery of costs. Given the obvious and knowing fraud, things would get very bad for wife.

well isnt that exactly what people driving ringed elephants are doing? paying insurance for a car long ago scrapped and attaching that car's number to another, uninsured, car?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

The simple fact of the matter here is that there is so much dodgy stuff now around in the country that everything that appears genuine Irish is treated with suspicion.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭500man

Well said , everyone is getting painted with the same brush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

The simple fact of the matter here is that there is so much dodgy stuff now around in the country that everything that appears genuine Irish is treated with suspicion.

Yes and that's damage done to the Classic car scene and to genuine Irish cars which should be treasured as part of Irish history and instead they have been de-valued for personal gain. It has also damaged Irish classics by the fact that original cars have been left aside, replaced by swimmers,rather than being restored, and many will now be unredeemable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭alias no.9

kev1.3s wrote: »

The alloys and bodykit may be misleading. If its a genuine pre HE which should be possible to check from the engine serial number then its 1981 or older

alias no.9 wrote: »
    The alloys and bodykit may be misleading. If its a genuine pre HE which should be possible to check from the engine serial number then its 1981 or older

You're right enough, the rear windows and rear lights betray its origins.
    I jumped the gun a little there.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

At first glance it doesn't look so much of an elephant to me.....

.....more of a dogs breakfast.

I prefer the old bumpers and Kent alloys personally so I could do some Woollarding like this man:

ogilvy_jag.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭RR3.5

I don't get it , what is wrong with this car.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

It looks like a bitsa.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Yes and that's damage done to the Classic car scene and to genuine Irish cars which should be treasured as part of Irish history and instead they have been de-valued for personal gain. It has also damaged Irish classics by the fact that original cars have been left aside, replaced by swimmers,rather than being restored, and many will now be unredeemable
    As long as these people are welcomed with open arms by clubs and shows nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

I’ve found this thread and wondering if I got this scam right.

So am I right in thinking that people are taking the reg numbers off cars >30 years old and slapping them on cars that are <30 years old to pay lower road tax.

How in the world are people able to register cars with the ZV plates if it’s not on the log book ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭Blue850

http://www.adverts.ie/car/toyota/starlet/1979-toyota-starlet-for-sale/8613069?fm

€500 for a 79 starlet book

edit: ad has been pulled

And it's not even original Irish. Wtf

Advertisement