Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this an Elephant?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

galwaytt wrote: »
    Easy fix: buy a boggo shelled car, and strip it - move everything WRX over to the new shell, and then take a grinder to the original. and swap VIN plates
    100% legal.

How about? Not so sure about the legal anymore. Do we know why the Scooby can't be put on the road? Other than it being a cat a write-off I can't imagine why and it doesn't look like an unsalvageable wreck to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

This is great, a Ring Fest, Ringers Special.......the thought police must all be on holidays...the blue one seems good value

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Needs a Rad usually means needs a head too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

A white elephant :p:p http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/land-rover-td5-vintage/8259628

Interestingly honest :rolleyes: http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mg-b-gt-coupe-1-8/8257843
    It has been off the road since early 2012, it has been on these shores for the same amount of time too, the new buyer will have to explain that one to Revenue

How about this?

B4g3YKVIUAAUcS4.jpg

It was driven on to the luas tracks tonight.
    My check says its a Mondeo?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Trollhättan

How about this?

B4g3YKVIUAAUcS4.jpg

It was driven on to the luas tracks tonight.
    My check says its a Mondeo?

The light is making the 8 on the reg look like a 6 I think.

5BC5594C-2BCA-4F37-BDCD-36690DCCF3D8.png

The light is making the 8 on the reg look like a 6 I think.

Ah, right so, Ted! :D So it was just an eejit so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Eo1n8wrd

it still looks yellow to me where the check says red

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Clearly red....

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Eo1n8wrd

yep... it clearly says red, still looks yellow and I haven't had a drink tonight hossifer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

no it looks red....specsavers for you methinks!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Good old dodgily-placed screw caps. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Blue850

Saw a silver C class Mercedes today, the one that replaced the 190 in 1993

wearing a ZV reg....

Blue850 wrote: »
    Saw a silver C class Mercedes today, the one that replaced the 190 in 1993

wearing a ZV reg....

Ireland 2014 - do what you like, 5% chance of being caught/fined :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭500man

Silver estate on zv plate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Blue850

500man wrote: »
    Silver estate on zv plate ?

yeah, thats the one I saw

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

79.jpeg

1979 land rover

79.jpeg

1979 land rover

Of course it's a 79 LR, are ye blind , same as this one :rolleyes:

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/car-advert/land-rover/series-iii/1979/167301/

1) IF it really was a 79 chassis would all the expense of changing it over be worth the reduction in road tax ??

2) As it's more likely just a change of plates, the it shows our not-so-intellegent Revenue/Gardai aren't up to the job like the US customs are :o

Now Ossifer Robert Hunt of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection looks like a true blue idiot who's been ordered to make an example of this LR for the 'meedja', but the facts remain from our perspective that there are a lot out here who are making idiots of our Revenue/Gardai (not hard to do either ! :rolleyes: ), and escaping the taxes the rest of us have to pay :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

In my opinion, these land rover/range rover jobs are the reason for the proposed nct for pre 1980's vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Is there any way that a Range Rover like the one in the photo could be built onto a 1979 Land Rover chassis without major modifications to body or chassis ?

pablo128 wrote: »
    In my opinion, these land rover/range rover jobs are the reason for the proposed nct for pre 1980's vehicles.

No they are not. The reason is to take potential death traps off the road.

Just because something was registered before 1980 doesnt mean it should be exempt from the same basic safety checks other vehicles must comply with.

The discovery referred to above is perfectly legal. That discovery shares a chassis with the original range rover ( up to the p38, when it was lengthened). Revenue rules state that the vehicles identity is tied to that of the chassis, not the body.

No they are not. The reason is to take potential death traps off the road.

Just because something was registered before 1980 doesnt mean it should be exempt from the same basic safety checks other vehicles must comply with.

The discovery referred to above is perfectly legal. That discovery shares a chassis with the original range rover ( up to the p38, when it was lengthened). Revenue rules state that the vehicles identity is tied to that of the chassis, not the body.

I won't dispute that that particular jeep is legit, but we both know full well there are many of them which are simply ringers. That's a lot of 1500 euro road taxes the state is missing out on.

pablo128 wrote: »
    I won't dispute that that particular jeep is legit, but we both know full well there are many of them which are simply ringers. That's a lot of 1500 euro road taxes the state is missing out on.

But ringers a whole different world of illegality. People will re-chassis a discovery or other chassis based jeeps to get the 'chape tax', and that will continue until they change the rules on classic tax. However, 'ringing' is far more serious. But why draw so much attention to yourself with an obviously 2005 jeep with a 1970's reg? Wouldnt it be easier to simply find a vehicle for sale on done deal, same colour and year as yours. Check with carsireland to make sure its taxed and nct'ed. Then simply get a set of plates made online. Make sure you have your own insurance (only reason for cops to stop you) and the job is oxo!

(im not serious. but you can take the point, there are easier, more discree ways to avoid road tax. Or just buy a micra.)

It's already that easy. Find a pre 80's log book and put on a set of plates to suit. At the moment it will never see an nct centre so no one should find out.

I don't have a problem with genuine conversions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

Blue850 wrote: »
    yeah, thats the one I saw

Would you believe that is legit???

It is an E-Class W124, not the C-Class W202.
    It was actually manufactured in 1991 and first registered in UK.
    Then imported to France. The VRT or equivalent in France made a mistake in the documentation and put 1981 as year of manufacture instead of 1991. So then a guy imported it to Ireland a number of years ago and got a 1981 Dublin reg. So a legitimate mistake, not an Elephant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭alias no.9

But ringers a whole different world of illegality. People will re-chassis a discovery or other chassis based jeeps to get the 'chape tax', and that will continue until they change the rules on classic tax. However, 'ringing' is far more serious. But why draw so much attention to yourself with an obviously 2005 jeep with a 1970's reg? Wouldnt it be easier to simply find a vehicle for sale on done deal, same colour and year as yours. Check with carsireland to make sure its taxed and nct'ed. Then simply get a set of plates made online. Make sure you have your own insurance (only reason for cops to stop you) and the job is oxo!

(im not serious. but you can take the point, there are easier, more discree ways to avoid road tax. Or just buy a micra.)

The Discovery on a vintage Range Rover chassis is technically possible but I don't see the benefits, it's not as if a Discovery is a nice place to be or even that the body swap makes it any better to drive. When it comes to ringers, they'd be better off just driving without tax, not that I'd advocate breaking the law.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    The Discovery on a vintage Range Rover chassis is technically possible but I don't see the benefits,

True, the disco with an old RR chassis will be an evil handling thing. But its all about image. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Advertisement