Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun safe won't open

Options
  • 11-08-2020 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Having a bit of trouble with my gun safe. Opened it to get my gear out a couple of days ago and relocked. Went back a few hours later to put the gear back in and it wouldn't open. I have two keys neither of which would work so I doubt both keys failed at the same time. its a Vogue 4-gun safe. Theres little to no give twisting the key to the unlock position.

https://www.topline.ie/tools-hardware/hardware/home-security/safes/vogue/4-gun-cabinet-deep

I'm going to get a locksmith over but thought I'd ask if anyone has had a similiar problem and/or solutions.

I'm aware I have an unsecured firearm at the moment. Components are distributed and well hidden and house is alarmed.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Getting a locksmith out will probably cost as much as a new cabinet, especially if you need a new lock fitted. Might be cheaper to butcher it open and buy a new one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Was it difficult to lock the last time you were at it?

I ask because while my safes are not the same make i had this with one of them. Turns out a rifle sling got caught as i was locking it. The sling somehow managed to wedge itself between the locking bar (that come from the door) and the edge (inside) of the safe. Was a little harder to lock than normal but not so much that i noticed. However when it came to unlocking the safe the sling kinda crumpled up essentially pushed against the locking bar of the safe.

I tried it a few times without much force thinking i was doing harm, but when i realised it was force it or call a locksmith i gave it a hard turn and it unlocked. It was then i seen the sling and where it had wedged itself. So now i make sure they're well tucked up before locking.

Of course it could simply be the locked is knackered. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Shoot the lock off!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Cass wrote: »
    Was it difficult to lock the last time you were at it?

I ask because while my safes are not the same make i had this with one of them. Turns out a rifle sling got caught as i was locking it. The sling somehow managed to wedge itself between the locking bar (that come from the door) and the edge (inside) of the safe. Was a little harder to lock than normal but not so much that i noticed. However when it came to unlocking the safe the sling kinda crumpled up essentially pushed against the locking bar of the safe.

I tried it a few times without much force thinking i was doing harm, but when i realised it was force it or call a locksmith i gave it a hard turn and it unlocked. It was then i seen the sling and where it had wedged itself. So now i make sure they're well tucked up before locking.

Of course it could simply be the locked is knackered. :D

+1 to Cass here , I had the same thing happen with a warmflow 4 gun cabinet the sling on my rifle got bunched up and closed on , solution for me was to push the door in hard then put in the key

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Try giving the safe a rattle with either your fist or a rubber mallet while you are working the lock gently with the key, vibrations can often allow the key to turn when friction will jam it

• Advertisement

I thought the key was broken in the lock ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

From what he is describing the key won't turn in the lock? Which suggests there is something out of alignment between the lock mechanism and the locking bars causing them to jam into their slots,or jamming the door out of alignment slightly.

Good news and bad news here;

Unless you can figure out some way of getting that sling out from the lip to un jam the mechanism.... You could possibly try and get a shim in along the ,more than likely bottom or sides of the safe and se if you can push the sling back. into the safe.It cant be much material ,as otherwise it wouldnt have allowed the door to close and lock in the first place?

On the positive side of things.It proves your safe mechanism is working 100% as that is exactly how it is supposed to respond to a attempt at jemmying the door open:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

4" Grinder with a diamond tip disc and a new safe off eBay.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

No trouble that I can recall locking it last time. There is a rifle in there but it doesn't have a sling so thats not the problem. Nothing else that could have fallen into the mechanism either.

It has given a bit of trouble a couple of times but was always able to open it eventually. Suppose it just got worse over time until it failed totally.

tudderone wrote: »
    I thought the key was broken in the lock ?

Nope. The key just won't turn in the lock.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Try giving the safe a rattle with either your fist or a rubber mallet while you are working the lock gently with the key, vibrations can often allow the key to turn when friction will jam it

I'll give it a go !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Check both keys, I have a similar safe and the quality of the keys is not the best and a 'tooth" came off one of the keys.

Make sure both keys match up.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭JohnFitz2332

4" Grinder with a diamond tip disc and a new safe off eBay.

Is the safe made of concrete or something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bud2000

Can you get a lever screwdriver apply small bit of pressure either up down side by side or as someone said push in with knee or wedge of a wall use a lubricant failing that grinder I know all sounds silly but hopfully it will work out

Thats a good idea use a penetrating oil to try to soak the bolt moving mechanism , not the actual key hole:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Heckler wrote: »
    No trouble that I can recall locking it last time. There is a rifle in there but it doesn't have a sling so thats not the problem. Nothing else that could have fallen into the mechanism either.

It has given a bit of trouble a couple of times but was always able to open it eventually. Suppose it just got worse over time until it failed totally.

How did it give trouble before?Were the keys getting harder to turn?.Having:more resistance in the turn before it locked?[Like taking up trigger slack?]
    So if it is not a sling pushing the dead bolts out of alingement,it is more than likely then in the the lock mechanism itself,which a locksmith could possibly sort out by puling back the levers inside the mechanism.
    Otherwise its the angle grinder key Im afraid.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I have a warmflow 4 gun safe and i added grease to the mechanism because it was being slow to open and close
    It appears to be the same mechanism as yours the key moves the lock which moves the bar directly which is alot on a inexpensive lock over time :(
    I upgraded to a safe with a handle that moves the bolts after the key is turned
    If you could figure out where one of the bolts is you could drill a hole through the side of the safe and whack the (center preferably) bolt as your trying to move the key , that would be last resort before the angle grinder key

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    How did it give trouble before?Were the keys getting harder to turn?.Having:more resistance in the turn before it locked?[Like taking up trigger slack?]
    So if it is not a sling pushing the dead bolts out of alingement,it is more than likely then in the the lock mechanism itself,which a locksmith could possibly sort out by puling back the levers inside the mechanism.
    Otherwise its the angle grinder key Im afraid.:(

Just a few times the key wouldn't turn but a bit of wiggling and kicking the door did the job. This was only once or twice.

I'm going to try a pry bar tomorrow just to maybe shift the door position a bit in or out or up and down as suggested by Bud2000. I've tried hitting around the lock while working the key but no joy.

I'd say its goosed. I have no idea how a locksmith would even approach it. An inch long keyhole is all they'd have to work with. Then again thats why they are the experts.

Chiparus I've checked both keys. Nothing broken off either. Both exactly the same.

With the virus the safe wasn't used much over the last 6 months. Only opened a couple of times for keeping non gun related things. Dunno if that would have any effect.

Thanks for the replies. If anyone has any other ideas feel free to throw them out there !

"It appears to be the same mechanism as yours the key moves the lock which moves the bar directly which is alot on a inexpensive lock over time."

Yup I think thats how it works alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Blow the bloody doors off

• Advertisement

Heckler wrote: »
    Just a few times the key wouldn't turn but a bit of wiggling and kicking the door did the job. This was only once or twice.

I'm going to try a pry bar tomorrow just to maybe shift the door position a bit in or out or up and down as suggested by Bud2000. I've tried hitting around the lock while working the key but no joy.

I'd say its goosed. I have no idea how a locksmith would even approach it. An inch long keyhole is all they'd have to work with. Then again thats why they are the experts.

Chiparus I've checked both keys. Nothing broken off either. Both exactly the same.

With the virus the safe wasn't used much over the last 6 months. Only opened a couple of times for keeping non gun related things. Dunno if that would have any effect.

Thanks for the replies. If anyone has any other ideas feel free to throw them out there !

If you can open it without damaging the safe itself, you can replace the lock yourself, they'll be an off the shelf item.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Before you call a locksmith, and you might NOT want to try this, if its goosed why not try force it. By force it i mean key in, vice grips on flat bit of key, and pull like a dog. Its either gonna give or you'll definitely need a locksmith.

Last resort type stuff.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

WD40 into the key hole if not already done.

Let it soak for 10 mins before trying again .

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Shoot the lock off!

With what ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Lubricating oil is not the fix. the lock is in regular use, it's not a rusty old thing that's been in a ditch for a few years.

A few vigorous slaps of a hammer to the areas around the lock while turning the key hard might break it loose.

If that don't work, take the safe outside, stand it up straight and push it over letting it slam down onto the concrete. That might dislodge anything that might be jamming the lock mechanism.

If that don't work. then take the grinder to it. It is already outside by then anyway.

Lubricating oil is not the fix. the lock is in regular use, it's not a rusty old thing that's been in a ditch for a few years.

A few vigorous slaps of a hammer to the areas around the lock while turning the key hard might break it loose.

If that don't work, take the safe outside, stand it up straight and push it over letting it slam down onto the concrete. That might dislodge anything that might be jamming the lock mechanism.

If that don't work. then take the grinder to it. It is already outside by then anyway.

Gun safes have to be bolted to a secure structure as per SI 307/2009 and the fastners tend to be inside the safe:P
    Good luck trying to get that off a wall easily

OP , Best of luck with getting it open
    When my safe got sticky it was the bolts not being lubricated but this is sounding like your lock is well banjaxed:(

You could,
    depends how much you value your guns?

It would hardly damage the guns in any significant way. sure they are made of steel.

A few good solid clouts of a lump hammer while turning the key hard would be the first idea anway.

It would hardly damage the guns in any significant way. sure they are made of steel.

A few good solid clouts of a lump hammer while turning the key hard would be the first idea anway.

depends if you have a €3000 optic on any of them , or a fine turkish walnut stock.

• Advertisement

Well if they are very expensive he can not do it then and just flake it a few belts of a hammer.

Advertisement