Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 4A - euro 179 on Vodafone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Buffman wrote: »
    If you're within the 14 day cooling off period you can return it.

https://n.vodafone.ie/support/orders.html

Contacted Vodafone and in fairness they are picking it back up so can't really complain. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

talkabout wrote: »
    Contacted Vodafone and in fairness they are picking it back up so can't really complain. Cheers

Last year i was refused return and refund because box was opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

bidiots wrote: »
    I had the original case on my 3a, loved it tbf. Would get another for the 4a if the price wasn't so high
    The 3 colours are €27.92 each using the discount code VFFANTASTIC on vodafonefaf.ie — Still more expensive than Spigen or Ringke, but a discount is a discount :)

Thanks to rizzee for posting the code here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058186129

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

The 3 colours are €27.92 each using the discount code VFFANTASTIC on vodafonefaf.ie — Still more expensive than Spigen or Ringke, but a discount is a discount :)

Thanks to rizzee for posting the code here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058186129

Cheers! Good spot on the Google cases. Pity there aren't others for the 4A available on that site. I think that's the lowest price you'll see the cases until the Pixel 6 is out.

loki7777 wrote: »

If you bought online you have 14 days to change your mind and return even if you opened it. If you bought in bricks and mortar you do not have this right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Badly fukt wrote: »
    If you bought online you have 14 days to change your mind and return even if you opened it. If you bought in bricks and mortar you do not have this right!

I asked over the phone and was told NO. Oh yeah just to add it was powered on.

They were wrong, but you must inform them in writing!
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/shopping_online.html#

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Whoever you were onto misled you.

https://n.vodafone.ie/support/orders.html

Checklist
    Please ensure you return the following items:
    • A copy of your completed cancellation form
    • Phone, tablet or modem (without physical damage)
    • Please ensure that all data is cleared from your phone and that all security features are switched off (ie: Remove all passwords, switch off ‘Find my iPhone’ and restore to factory settings). Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure all personal data is removed from the device. Please remove your SIM card and remove all data from any memory card supplied with your handset
    • Accessory (without physical damage)
    • Charger
    • Battery
    • Any additional content that was included with your order must be included
    • Packaging

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

That is illegal. You have the right to evaluate the goods

grogi wrote: »
    That is illegal. You have the right to evaluate the goods

Incorrect. The EU 14 day cooling off period only applies to unopened, unused items.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

The reason it exists online and not in store is because in store you can see and handle the product you are interested in but can't get that same benefit if you buy it online.

If you do more than look and handle a product that you have bought online, e.g. unseal it, then it is up to Vodafone's discretion as to whether they will accept the a return or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Folks, is this still a great deal at €280, or are there better out there for less? A family member may need a new phone, the charging port has stopped working on the Moto G5s Plus, but I'm hoping it can be repaired for an affordable price!

Incorrect. The EU 14 day cooling off period only applies to unopened, unused items.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

No, that is not true what you're saying. There is very few exceptions to sealed goods - such as digital products - exp. CD or software. Otherwise you are allowed to open the product and test it. How otherwise can you evaluate it?
    The reason it exists online and not in store is because in store you can see and handle the product you are interested in but can't get that same benefit if you buy it online.

By your own admission one needs to be able to open the box to see and handle the product, not just the box with the product. Hence one needs to open said box.

Everything you have just said is incorrect.
    No, that is not true what you're saying. There is very few exceptions to sealed goods - such as digital products - exp. CD or software. Otherwise you are allowed to open the product and test it. How otherwise can you evaluate it?

You evaluate it by doing research first. The 14 day cooling off period has nothing to do with products that you have opened. Some more Googling will tell you that. I am not giving you an opinion on this, I am just telling you the law.
    In store you can handle the product, not just the box. By your own admission you need to be able to open the box to see the product.

No you can't, you can only do that in some cases. You cannot handle products in Argos for example and it up to their discretion as to whether they will accept an opened item or not for return.

By your own logic, this line

"In line with our returns policy, these items will need to be unopened, unused and in their original packaging, with proof of purchase."

is breaking the law.

https://www.argos.ie/static/ArgosPromo3/includeName/ReturnsAndRefunds.htm

You evaluate it by doing research first. The 14 day cooling off period has nothing to do with products that you have opened. Some more Googling will tell you that. I a not giving you an opinion on this, I am just telling you the law.

If you're getting into the law, quote the relevant regulation from Irish Statute please. I will gladly be proven wrong.

Quote the relevant regulation from Irish Statute.

We're talking about an EU law, and I have already quoted it for you.

Have you written an email to tell Argos and other companies that they are breaking the law by demanding that returned items be unopened? Or is possible that large companies have legal teams that know the law better than you do?

We're talking about an EU law, and I have already quoted it for you.

You have no idea how European directives work, right? They are guidance for local law makers, what regulations should be implemented in local law. They don't automatically apply in members states. The Commission has executive powers to penalise the states that fail to implement the directives, but even if it does, they are not national law.

What's more, the 2011/83/EU clearly states:
    Since in the case of distance sales, the consumer is not able to see the goods before concluding the contract, he should have a right of withdrawal. For the same reason, the consumer should be allowed to test and inspect the goods he has bought to the extent necessary to establish the nature, characteristics and the functioning of the goods. Concerning off-premises contracts, the consumer should have the right of withdrawal because of the potential surprise element and/or psychological pressure. Withdrawal from the contract should terminate the obligation of the contracting parties to perform the contract.

I underlined the relevant part for you. You cannot test and inspect the functioning of the goods without opening the box.

To answer your last question - Yes, they are breaking the law. Yes, I have complained. Yes, I have got refunded.

You have no idea how European directives work, right? They are guidance for local law makers, what regulations should be implemented in local law. They don't automatically apply in members states. The Commission has executive powers to penalise the states that fail to implement the directives, but even if it does, they are not national law.

What's more, the 2011/83/EU clearly states:

I underlined the relevant part for you.

Nothing you have said or pointed out disagrees with what I said.

Again I will ask you for the third time, is Argos' return policy against the law or not?

Nothing you have said or pointed out disagrees with what I said.

I'll allow myself to disagree.
    Again I will ask you for the third time, is Argos' return policy against the law or not?

That would be second time you mention Argos. So it is not only understanding you have problem with apparently. You like to twist words, right?

* If you collect locally and pay at the counter, it is not considered remote sale. Hence it is not against the law.
    * If you have it delivered, it is against - as the consumer needs to have ability to examine how the goods function. I have said exactly that before.

That would be second time.
    If you collect locally and pay at the counter, it is not considered remote sale. Hence it is not against the law. If you have it delivered, it is agains

It was actually the third time you ignored my comment on Argo's return policy.

So you believe this returns policy only applies to over the counter sales? What about Smyths return policy, that is specifically under their online orders section? Is it against the law?

"Simply return your unwanted item within 28 days of receipt unused, unopened, in its original condition and packaging, your return must be in a re-sellable condition."

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/returns

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Where are the mods ? Anyone got this recently ?

• Advertisement

Where are the mods ? Anyone got this recently ?

Deal is over, no need to open the thread.

It was actually the third time you ignored my comment on Argo's return policy.

I answered to your question. But unless it agrees with your beliefs, you are simply ignoring it. I also quoted 2011/83/EU that proved you wrong - ignored...

Yet You still haven't quoted any legal text (Irish or even European if you wish) that prove me wrong. Unless you do, I will not reply to you anymore, as it is pointless.
    So you believe this returns policy only applies to over the counter sales? What about Smyths return policy, that is specifically under their online orders section? Is it against the law?

"Simply return your unwanted item within 28 days of receipt unused, unopened, in its original condition and packaging, your return must be in a re-sellable condition."

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/returns

Never crossed your mind that breaking the law is more profitable? The company simply takes a calculated risk of having to pay the odd fine and not having to deal with lawful returns.

Never crossed your mind that breaking the law is more profitable? The company takes a calculated risk of having to pay the odd fine and not having to deal with lawful returns?

So you are saying that Smyths are indeed breaking the law with their returns policy? It's a very simple yes or no question.

And are Vodafone are breaking the law by not accepting loki7777's phone?

And are the many other large companies that I can find within a few seconds of searching breaking the law by demanding online orders be unopened upon return?

Is this comment made by a Vodafone rep on Boards not true to the law?

LQB00OJ.png

It's almost as if the legal text you quoted doesn't mean what you think it means.

I answered to your question. But unless it agrees with your beliefs, you are simply ignoring it. I also quoted 2011/83/EU that proved you wrong - ignored...

As for your edit, you have not proved that I am wrong, because you don't even understand what you yourself quoted. Let me break it down for you.

"the consumer should be allowed to test and inspect the goods he has bought to the extent necessary to establish the nature, characteristics and the functioning of the goods"

Now, let's take a smartphone as an example.
    • Is it safe to assume the average consumer understands what the nature of a smartphone is without opening it?
    • As the specs of the phone are listed on the box, is it safe to assume the average consumer understands what the characteristics of the smartphone is without opening it?
    • Is it safe to assume the average consumer understands what the functionality of a smartphone is without opening it?

Therefore, is it safe to assume that the average consumer can establish the nature, characteristics and the functioning of a smartphone without the need to open it?

Is it possible, therefore, that this directive you have quoted is incredibly subjective, so subjective in fact that most companies have instead decided that their returns' policy require that their products be returned unused and unopened to obtain a refund, all the while not disagreeing with this directive?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

For anyone who ordered the Spigen case and screen protectors, did you also order the camera protector? They are similar price to the screen protector but I guess if they preserve the camera they are worth it.

In general, do people buy camera protectors as well as screen protectors or are camera protectors seen as something that are not really necessary?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

I had a small glass camera protector but removed it when I got the skin.

Got this today. 2.99 delivered from AliExpress, just over 2 week delivery, lots of colours available. Surprisingly good quality.

tmh106 wrote: »
    For anyone who ordered the Spigen case and screen protectors, did you also order the camera protector? They are similar price to the screen protector but I guess if they preserve the camera they are worth it.

In general, do people buy camera protectors as well as screen protectors or are camera protectors seen as something that are not really necessary?

Thanks

Camera glass is sapphire... No point in any protector on it.

In fact, if you want to scratch something, put it side by side with a phone camera lens and rub.

Camera glass is sapphire... No point in any protector on it.

No it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bargainboy

Thanks for the info Aristotle that's good to know, its a legit concern though with manufactures now adding bigger camera modules even with a tough case and tempered glass screen protector phones are more susceptible to scratches whilst in a pocket unless you are careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 bargainboy

tmh106 i am it the same boat as your self i will pick up the spigen tough armor case and a pack of lk tempered glass screen protectors (used them both in the past )they have the best price overall on amazon.es the question is do i get the regular pack or the slightly more expensive pack with the rear camera protectors if you look in the comments there are a fare few people claiming that the back camera protectors fall of and are not worth the bother and that goes for any brand i would also like to know if anyone has any experience with rear glass camera screen protectors ?.

Advertisement