Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who smokes anymore ?

Comments

OldGoat wrote: »
    Has there been a study? Not trying to be one of those "Do you have proof" types, am genuinely interested.

I'm still a cigar smoker though I'm down to about 1 a month. My pipe haven't been lit for a couple of years and my spliff intake is zero these days.

Not really. When covid started in Europe, there were a few theories that the tar on the lungs, caused the microbes of the virus problems in attaching to the lungs. I've seen a few articles referencing it, but it seems to be a theory without any research/evidence behind it. Haven't seen any similar claims for months though.

Can't imagine anyone wanting to suggest that smoking had any positives. ;)

Kylta wrote: »
    Oh them bastards

Not really. Doesn't bother me much anymore. TBH most non-smokers just stay away (except in the smoking areas of bars/cafes), which is fine with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Smokin. Smoking hot you mean.

I'd smoke you if your has hot as you think you are

bigar wrote: »
    As a non-smoker my whole life, I can only go by the smell of cigarettes and it is very unpleasant.

I assume it tastes same as it smells? I wonder why then someone would want to spoil the taste of a nice meal with something unpleasant immediately after.

I suppose it all depends on who cooked the meal or what it tastes like. Maybe the smoke is to get rid of the taste

Has there been a study? Not trying to be one of those "Do you have proof" types, am genuinely interested.

I'm still a cigar smoker though I'm down to about 1 a month. My pipe haven't been lit for a couple of years and my spliff intake is zero these days.

When I gave up the smokes I gave up the mala, I tried hash cakes and bongs but you just can't beat a joint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Not really. When covid started in Europe, there were a few theories that the tar on the lungs, caused the microbes of the virus problems in attaching to the lungs. I've seen a few articles referencing it, but it seems to be a theory without any research/evidence behind it. Haven't seen any similar claims for months though.

Can't imagine anyone wanting to suggest that smoking had any positives. ;)
    Smoking has a number of positives, it's just that they come at the expense of health.
    There is an epicurean attraction to fine tobaccos (on a par with cheese, wines and whiskys etc.) and I'll happily discuss the flavour layers of a good cigar for hours with others.
    There is a social camaraderie amongst smokers that congregate huddled under a tiny umbrella out in the back alley of pubs. This camaraderie is attractive enough that non-smokers feel the need to join in.
    The narcotic affect of smoking does bring calm and suppresses appetite, both of which are positive traits.

'tis a pity about the whole Bringing Death aspect of smoking. :(

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

'tis a pity about the whole Bringing Death aspect of smoking. :(

true enough... but.. then, loads of healthy people get badly sick too... so.. it's all about luck.

true enough... but.. then, loads of healthy people get badly sick too... so.. it's all about luck.

Stop that crap talk now.
    How are you suppose to enjoy your smoke thinking about death. When you smoke your suppose to be positive. When you take that deep drag and you exhale as the smoke spirals towards the sky, thats when you have your eureka moment.
    Or if your thinking of giving them up thats when you get depressed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

I only smoke at work, during a break. But I never do outside of work, odd I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Nothing , and I mean nothing, is as annoying as the weekend smoker who only smokes op’s.
    For someone who doesn’t smoke all week , how can they smoke cigarette after cigarette when they’re having a drink.?
    Of course , they don’t smoke enough to warrant buying a pack ! Scrounging basterds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Mainly Knackers......Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

35-E1-CB38-F17-B-4-FE2-8-F04-12-C030-C15-CE6.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

I've smoked for 25 yrs. But only when I'm drinking...or on the odd occasion where I might need to take the edge off in a particularly awkward or stressfull situation etc.

I think a lot of people would be that way.

Recently with the Lock-down I noticed, that I drink more at home....and consequently smoke a lot more too.

There's definitely a social aspect and a comraderie amoung smokers. Its like you're in a secret club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

As a non-smoker my whole life, I can only go by the smell of cigarettes and it is very unpleasant.

I assume it tastes same as it smells? I wonder why then someone would want to spoil the taste of a nice meal with something unpleasant immediately after.

It's a sensation you experience with your lungs, is nothing to do with the smell/taste really.

I stopped five years ago now, really loved it. Not worth the price, let alone the health risks. Surprised to see so many folks continue to smoke during the pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Stopped smoking 9 years ago and don't miss it at all and never going back.

It's when you want to stop an realise that these "pleasures" and "tastes" are not positives at all but just your own justifications for the habit as in reality cigarettes do not taste or smell nice and don't provide any pleasure except for feeding an addiction and stopping withdrawal symptoms then it made stopping very easy.

Then it's only after stopping a little while and a smoker who's just come inside after smoking and sit close to you that you then realise how bad the smell is and I was shocked to think that I would have smelt like that and you're glad it's not you anymore.

Only advice I can offer though to stop is that you have to really want to stop before trying. Using patches etc are only cons and won't really work in the long run in most cases.

If you really believe you want to stop then it's easier.
    Also, to help your mindset, don't think that you're "giving up" or "off" cigarettes as that puts the idea in your head that you're sacrificing something or missing out bit saying to yourself that you don't smoke and you're missing out on nothing and gaining everything by stopping will make it much easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Was walking behind a guy there this morning, he was puffing out his “vape” like a chimney.

Honestly, I’d much rather be near a “normal“ smoker than a man-child, with an unkempt beard, blowing out large clouds of candyfloss, lemonade or fudge scented vapour.

The stuff is obviously aimed at children, much like the “alco-pops“ we had back in the day. Hooch, Woodies, Mugshot and the like. How any grown up could think the sweeties flavour “vapes” are acceptable is just beyond me.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I swapped smoking for vaping. I know people have mixed feelings about that as well but it's been great for me, it's over 8 years since I was a smoker.

I found smoking to be very calming, there's something so soothing about it. I failed to stop a few times before finding vaping, which I certainly feel healthier doing. It's definitely cheaper anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

If you finish your meal with a serving of rotten moldy cheese that smells like weeks old socks, would that be better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Was walking behind a guy there this morning, he was puffing out his “vape” like a chimney.

Honestly, I’d much rather be near a “normal“ smoker than a man-child, with an unkempt beard, blowing out large clouds of candyfloss, lemonade or fudge scented vapour.

The stuff is obviously aimed at children, much like the “alco-pops“ we had back in the day. Hooch, Woodies, Mugshot and the like. How any grown up could think the sweeties flavour “vapes” are acceptable is just beyond me.

I think this lot give the rest of us a bad name, the people with their big sub-ohm clouds :o Not everyone uses devices like this, I don't even understand the appeal of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

The flavours smell disgustingly overbearing to me but there are massive health benefits to opting for vaping over smoking..so it is good to see even if it's annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

You wouldn't see as many teenagers smoking nowadays.
    The new standard packaging has helped with that they reckon.

Young ones today are much more image conscious and the uncool sh1tty brown packaging would put some of them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Dante

I used to social smoke, but gave it up fully - haven't had a cigarette in over 18 months now.

Since I stopped I find I get sick a lot less. I haven't had a single chest infection, which before was my signature sickness about 3 times a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Anyone who voluntarily pumps posionous chemicals into their lungs for the hell of it and with all we know about the wreck it does to your body is an idiot.

During my 'courting' days- a women smoking was an absolute turn off. No questions asked.

The littering pisses me right off..thrown out of car windows and on the footpath. I watched this obese middle aged wagon put out her cigarette on the ground yesterday with her foot all of 6 feet from a bin. I wish nothing but an agonising death on smokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

Anyone who voluntarily pumps posionous chemicals into their lungs for the hell of it and with all we know about the wreck it does to your body is an idiot.

During my 'courting' days- a women smoking was an absolute turn off. No questions asked.
    you being more poisoned aside from cigs but you dont realise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

On the other hand some say there's a respiratory virus going round.
    The coating from smoking is thought to make it more difficult for covid to bind to the ACE-2 receptors so smokers actually have had better outcomes from this in several studies. Obviously not a great reason to take up smoking considering all the damage it does, but not great PR for those quitting. I was going to quit this year for good but I'm just going to maintain a very low level until I know more about this. Also, I always get a bad chest infection for two weeks after I quit and I don't fancy getting that right now.

I actually love smoking, I can completely block out the ill effects. For someone with religious self-discipline in many other facets of existence, it's my one vice and I've made peace with the fact that it will kill me if I continue so that my stress about the addiction doesn't outweigh my enjoyment from it. Also take a look at the AQI on any given morning if you live in a city. I'd rather be doing something enjoyable that wrecks my lungs than merely commuting with carcinogens.

When I quit next time it will be the last time. My life will be considerably less enjoyable for it but I guess the idea is it'll be longer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Moved on to vaping about 6 years back. I don't know how truly healthy/healthier it is but saves an absolute fortune when compared to buying 20 cigs a day.

Still though while I haven't touched a cig in years, when I walk past someone smoking outside a shop and you get the smell, the mind goes "Jesus I'd love an actual fag".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Poor people, for the most part

The littering pisses me right off..thrown out of car windows and on the footpath. I watched this obese middle aged wagon put out her cigarette on the ground yesterday with her foot all of 6 feet from a bin. I wish nothing but an agonising death on smokers.

That escalated quickly.

jelem wrote: »
    you being more poisoned aside from cigs but you dont realise.

Exactly. We are all subjected to same pollutants from cars, buring fuel etc so why in God's name do you want to make it worse...idiots.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Had to give up the smokes back in August for health reasons..... 24 odd years of smoking. I dont drink very often anymore and my only little pleasure was having a smoke but so far so good im off them and this time I hope that im off them for good.

• Advertisement

That escalated quickly.

I utterly despise smoking and I have a very very low opinion of smokers. In fact I consciously do not associate with smokers...not that hard as none of my social circle or family or even work colleagues smoke.

Kylta wrote: »
    Stop that crap talk now.
    How are you suppose to enjoy your smoke thinking about death. When you smoke your suppose to be positive. When you take that deep drag and you exhale as the smoke spirals towards the sky, thats when you have your eureka moment.
    Or if your thinking of giving them up thats when you get depressed

Non smokers don't get it... I've been smoking almost three decades now, and throughout that whole time, I've had others tell me how unhealthy it is. My mother, who gave up smoking, used to show me pictures of dirty lungs, or other problems, far worse than what is on the cig packets now. We are aware of what we're doing to ourselves... we're not utterly retarded.

The fact is... we don't care. Until... we do. That's it really. No different from the people who horse down twelve pints on a night out, or justify binge drinking to themselves. We don't care. We're addicted, and we will accept it as such. It's not about thinking about death or getting a tube stuck into our throats to help breathe... We're all able to dismiss such thought until they become a reality.

I've stopped smoking, properly, three times in my life, each being longer than two years. I went back for a variety of stress/emotional related reasons. I know what it's like to not smoke, along with not having any cravings. I remember it all. However, I still smoke now for my own reasons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I only now smoke when I am winding down. So basically when I am binging on alcohol.

I have given up twice and used to smoke around 20 a day. Thankfully I don't have to accompany tee or coffee now with a smoke which was an issue for years.

I love smoking however, it is really pleasant despite the side effects.

Everything in moderation including moderation itself.

I wish nothing but an agonising death on smokers.

Whereas I couldn't care less whether you live or die. Since we're sharing hateful attitudes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I live in the same area that I went to school in.

I went to an all boys school and there was an all girls school around the corner. To be honest, I spent many a lunch hour chasing some young wan but never put a cigarette to my lips but there were many who did and still do almost 30 years later.

I drive by these schools on the way home and instead of trying to get a snog or a quick fingering, they're all still puffing their brains out. They cant claim ignorance anymore.

I utterly despise smoking and I have a very very low opinion of smokers. In fact I consciously do not associate with smokers...not that hard as none of my social circle or family or even work colleagues smoke.

I doubt many people consciously associate with you either tbh, dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Exactly. We are all subjected to same pollutants from cars, buring fuel etc so why in God's name do you want to make it worse...idiots.

And driving is practical and useful. At least there is a point to it.

It is just smokers or do you other things such as diet / alcohol gambling etc. rile you as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The simple answer is stupid people, or older people ,
    maybe young people are too busy looking at phones to smoke, i never see anyone on youtube or social media smoking.
    its no longer cool.
    old films look strange ,where everyone is smoking .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Have allways loved smoking. Got myself wound up about quitting a few times. Vapeing was nice to try. The flavour of tobacco, the smoke. The act of rolling. Was just too much for me to leave behind. What I do now is roll up large 3 skin smokes the way I would do joints as a child, useing 3 filters. I 'reuse' tobacco from cigarette butts collected from around. Now I don't have to worry about health, cost, anything.
    Technicly I'm not addicted to nicotine either as not that much if any gets through the 3 filters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The fact is... we don't care. Until... we do. That's it really. No different from the people who horse down twelve pints on a night out, or justify binge drinking to themselves. We don't care. We're addicted, and we will accept it as such. It's not about thinking about death or getting a tube stuck into our throats to help breathe... We're all able to dismiss such thought until they become a reality.

I've stopped smoking, properly, three times in my life, each being longer than two years. I went back for a variety of stress/emotional related reasons. I know what it's like to not smoke, along with not having any cravings. I remember it all. However, I still smoke now for my own reasons.

I care and I gave up for health reasons including vanity reasons. As I got older I could see it was affecting my looks particularly my gums and my complexion. These negative effects didn't really kick in till my mid 30's. Plus I got into fitness later in life and cardio was much more difficult when smoking.

As far as giving up and going back on them, that happened to me too a few times. I had been off them 5 years once. I took up vaping (even though I didn't want to do that either) to counteract this and it worked. When I have a drink I'm happy to vape now and it doesn't put me back on the cigs. Still not ideal but it's a lot better than saying 'oh I go back on them eventually so may as well stay on them'.

It is just smokers or do you other things such as diet / alcohol gambling etc. rile you as well?

A roaring death to anyone who does anything they don’t agree with!

AllForIt wrote: »
    Still not ideal but it's a lot better than saying 'oh I go back on them eventually so may as well stay on them'.

Not what I said. Still, happy for you that you've managed to stay off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Not what I said. Still, happy for you that you've managed to stay off them.

Thanks.

No I inferred it from what you said. Apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Would have thought older people ie over 60 might as well keep smoking as their system would be totally shocked after 40 years smoking to stop it .
    I knew 2 people who gave up smoking in their 60s and both died within a year ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

There's no "comparison" between the smell of smoke and the "smell" of a vape. "Vapes" smell like cheap air "freshener" at worst. Smoke smells "like" smoke. I really don't "mind" if people vape around "me".

But it's interesting to see how far people's vape goes whe you're "walking" in the street and "see" the cloud of vape. Mad to "think" that's how far everyone's breath goes but you can't see "it" most of the time "."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There's no "comparison" between the smell of smoke and the "smell" of a vape. "Vapes" smell like cheap air "freshener" at worst. Smoke smells "like" smoke. I really don't "mind" if people vape around "me".

But it's interesting to see how far people's vape goes whe you're "walking" in the street and "see" the cloud of vape. Mad to "think" that's how far everyone's breath goes but you can't see "it" most of the time "."

I know you added inverted commas to make a point, but reading that made part of me die inside :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Its very very addictive, it never lets you go, ever.
    I think smokers should get every possible help to quit a lethal substance that makes other drugs look almost banal but is hidden by its legitimacy.
    We berate the poor people addicted to this substance yet cheer on the coke heads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Mr Meanor wrote: »
    Its very very addictive, it never lets you go, ever.
    I think smokers should get every possible help to quit a lethal substance that makes other drugs look almost banal but is hidden by its legitimacy.
    We berate the poor people addicted to this substance yet cheer on the coke heads!

I agree that smokers should be offered help to quit but who cheers on coke users?

Those vaper types with a ‘rig’ the size of a shoebox that produce clouds of steam that would envelope a KISS concert are ridiculous sort of people in fairness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement