Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who smokes anymore ?

Options
  • 04-10-2020 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

I know less and less people are smoking but there’s still a fair cohort circa 18% of Irish population smoke . I smoked myself one time but give up thankfully . I have seen a few premature deaths of friends and family and know of some sick presently unfortunately. Smoking was a massive factor in all their tales of woe

. I can see why people that are 60 plus might as well keep going at this stage and smoke away but younger people want to be mad to continue to smoke even if it is highly addictive. Anyone taking up smoking I can’t understand with all the information these days plus the cost of them .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Anti-social Eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I'm not sure why people still take it up. It was the thing to do to rebel when I was a teenager maybe it's still that way to an extent. A much more expensive habit nowadays as well, last time I looked they cost a fortune

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Only after sex

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    Only after sex

A 20 box must last you 20 years then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

A cigarette after a nice meal is one of life's great pleasures. Or a bit of peace and quiet staring up at the stars with a fag on a chilly evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Young ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I recently went onto the vape... not sure how much safer that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I was absolutely in love with smoking. The first drag after finishing a 12 hour shift was heaven. Gave them up a few years ago now. Still though every single time I see one of those stop smoking ads on tv I get a massive craving for one. It lasts a few minutes and then slowly fades. I suppose it’ll never fully go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    Only after sex

So you don't smoke then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People who want to look cool, like '50s movie stars who died of lung cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,015 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

LuasSimon wrote: »
    . I can see why people that are 60 plus might as well keep going at this stage and smoke away but younger people want to be mad to continue to smoke even if it is highly addictive. Anyone taking up smoking I can’t understand with all the information these days plus the cost of them .

Why can you see why people over 60 may as well keep going. They're the ones running into Emphysema and COPD diagnosis. Young people have ages until they likely to experience any serious consequences of smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

People who want to look cool, like '50s movie stars who died of lung cancer.

Maybe for my generation ( 45) but not anymore .
    I think I posted years ago in the TH thread how I didn’t have a light and my TH was that none of the kids there had either.
    It’s a dying trend ,(literally)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Or a bit of peace and quiet staring up at the stars with a fag on a chilly evening.

Nah you want a joint for that

I still smoke, but then I've smoked for decades now.

As for who smokes, I've noticed quite a lot do, judging by those smoking walking down the street, or sitting outside of cafes. Before the covid ban of the pubs, the smoking areas were pretty well populated by smokers (and those hanging around the smokers). So, I don't think it's a habit that has disappeared.. Just most people seem to have switched to rolling their own (which makes sense considering the brutal cost in Ireland). The E cigs seem to be very common. Most of those I see smoking are those in their mid/late twenties upwards. Don't see as many older people (50+) smoking as before, which is interesting.

LuasSimon wrote: »
    I know less and less people are smoking but there’s still a fair cohort circa 18% of Irish population smoke . I smoked myself one time but give up thankfully . I have seen a few premature deaths of friends and family and know of some sick presently unfortunately. Smoking was a massive factor in all their tales of woe

People who buy them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

But it makes young people so mature when they have a fag in their mouth. Oooh Matron!

But it makes young people so mature when they have a fag in their mouth. Oooh Matron!

Edgware wrote: »

God you must love.the carry on films

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Me. Smoking is cool again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Edgware wrote: »

Pretty sure it’ll suddenly become funny if you post it one more time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

On the other hand some say there's a respiratory virus going round.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Schnooks

Gave them up about 10 or 11 years ago, after about 30 odd years smoking on and off. Didn't touch a fag for about 6 or 7 years.

Find I am having the odd one these days (like every few months) and even buying a box of fags and smoking on a weekend away with the lads for the 6N rugby or other similar occasions. But I seem to be able to forget about it once the night or weekend is over and that's it for another few months.

More of an occasional treat than an addiction these days I suppose. But I do remember how addictive they are. Only takes 72 hours for that physical craving to leave your body, but the habit can be harder to break for alot of people, including myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I'm cool!

Finally! Only took me 46 fcukin' years :D

Started vaping instead over 2 years ago. Unfortunately in the last few months smokes have worked their way back in a bit. After a takeaway it's hard to resist. And once ya have a box it's hard to leave them. Also going between smoking and vaping is murder on the chest so it feels like if I smoke one I may as well finish the box. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33 se25

You have to admire the dedication of the older smoker..quit myself 25 years ago..most likely be bollixed now if I had kept up the habit.
    Smoked for 14 years and was coughing and spluttering like a good un before giving up...Best wishes to those new abstainers, never too late ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

A 20 box must last you 20 years then.
    I only smoke cigarettes after making love. So back in England I'm a twenty-a-day man.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭global23214124

I guess it's part of my routine at this stage, nice excuse to have a break at work with a mate, goes well with a drink, calms me down sometimes. I've tried to quit a few times but no luck. I've smoked for about 10 years in last 20s. A lot of people my age that I know have switched to vaping or else just quite cold turkey when they were out of college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Fair few do. I picked it up there, for some bizarre reason, at 28-29 years old. Think it was in line with my ex and smoking as we had a drink then that kinda continued for a bit after the relationship ended. Then just forgot about it. Would probably have a smoke or two if I was out drinking still.

Advertisement