Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who smokes anymore ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭sporina

i am off fags 2 weeks.. dreaming about one now as I type grr.. I am only off them for health reasons.. I wish I didn't wanna smoke - but I do.. its a terrible addiction... I am using nicorette quick mist to help me get off em.. it helps but it gives me hiccups.. I don't enjoy it, but it sorts out the nicotine fix I guess.. but I miss the "time out" I had with a fag.. if I had one now I would smoke it .. glad I don't though .. only 2 weeks in.. hope it gets easier..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Lord PuppyMcSnuggle of Cuddleshire

It's a drug addiction. I've tried to quit a few times, but the depression I have during withdrawal short-circuits any fúcks I gave about quitting in the first place. Though I may be forced to quit now that the economy is going down the drain... that'll be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

A 20 box must last you 20 years then.

Must last yer ma about 20 minutes buh. Different flavours :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,307 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Out of the people I know smoke they started because their parents smoked and they just ended up taking a few cigs of their parents and they sort of got hooked.

The rest then are social smokers and often a reason they smoke is to chat people up in the smoking room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

The weird bit is when you've been away from smokers for a while, you realise how much it really does not smell good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Smokin. Smoking hot you mean.

I used to be a very heavy 40-60+ Marlboro Reds a day smoker. Then I stopped with a vape. Then I stopped all for a while. And now I'm back just smoking if I have beers.

They're dirt cheap where I live so that part doesn't matter, and they're fully socially acceptable. I figure as I get older and be out for beers less and less, the added cost of a few on a night out won't matter to me, regardless of where I live and their cost. Or I'll just quit since I don't particularly care about them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

On the other hand some say there's a respiratory virus going round.
    Which smokers seem to be less impacted by oddly enough.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Stopped in May. Not sure if it’s worthwhile as the damage is probably done but at least not smoking is cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

A cigarette after a nice meal is one of life's great pleasures.

As a non-smoker my whole life, I can only go by the smell of cigarettes and it is very unpleasant.

I assume it tastes same as it smells? I wonder why then someone would want to spoil the taste of a nice meal with something unpleasant immediately after.

• Advertisement

Stopped in May. Not sure if it’s worthwhile as the damage is probably done but at least not smoking is cheaper.

Lungs heal really well when you quit.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51279355

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

A cigarette after a nice meal is one of life's great pleasures.

Its absolutely not.

Its absolutely not.

ec1.png

bigar wrote: »
    As a non-smoker my whole life, I can only go by the smell of cigarettes and it is very unpleasant.

I assume it tastes same as it smells? I wonder why then someone would want to spoil the taste of a nice meal with something unpleasant immediately after.

Ahh well, smokers taste buds are damaged (over time) by smoking so what they taste/smell is going to be different than you do. In most cases, smokers sense of smell will have declined so they're not really noticing/smelling the tobacco, except on odd times, but they're easily dismissed. But also tobacco has different 'tastes' with some being milder whereas others are stronger. A bit like the differences in alcohol.

It's an addiction. People will rationalise it's use and seek to find cornerstone pleasures from it. I enjoy a smoke after a meal.. but it's not really a choice... it's one of the times when I always have one (habit).

But then, other people have all manner of habits which I don't do, and I find completely nutty, like the desire to get wasted drunk, spend a fortune, and barely remember anything from the night before. That's just odd to me. Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I was a very heavy smoker, but I gave up smokes maybe about 20 years ago, I gave my daughter a wish for her confirmation, she asked me to give up smoking which I did.
    She smokes now, and i'm asking her to give them up (I want revenge) One thing I can't stand is a fu¢ker who gave up smokin moaning about people who do smoke. So if your old enough and you enjoy your smoke have it. The health warnings on the box you don't need anybody telling you their bad for you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Wibbs wrote: »
    Which smokers seem to be less impacted by oddly enough.
    Has there been a study? Not trying to be one of those "Do you have proof" types, am genuinely interested.

I'm still a cigar smoker though I'm down to about 1 a month. My pipe haven't been lit for a couple of years and my spliff intake is zero these days.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

True . I was off them for a good while years ago and only after a good while did my taste buds start working again. Girls I knew smoked because it would take away their appetite and keep weight down. Kinda effed up in a way

Kylta wrote: »
    I was a very heavy smoker, but I gave up smokes maybe about 20 years ago, I gave my daughter a wish for her confirmation, she asked me to give up smoking which I did.
    She smokes now, and i'm asking her to give them up (I want revenge) One thing I can't stand is a fu¢ker who gave up smokin moaning about people who do smoke. So if your old enough and you enjoy your smoke have it. The health warnings on the box you don't need anybody telling you their bad for you

I doubt any smoker is unaware that they're bad for us. We're the ones coughing up tar, dealing with shallow lungs, glancing at our yellow finger (on the opposite hand that we smoke with), the.... etc. Hell, the social aspect of being a smoker is enough, all by itself, to make it unappealing. Non-smokers are rarely shy about telling smokers not to smoke, or such.

I get annoyed by the non-smokers, who go out of their way, to be near smokers... Just to say that they don't like smoking, but still they have the right to stand wherever they want.. which just happens to be, beside or in front, of the smoker. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭T.V Eye

I buy a pack every Friday
    Have about 2 a day on average.

If you go to Spain, Italy or anywhere where they are still cheap tons of people still do. Taxing them so much here has saved a lot of lives.

They are lovely. Shame they kill you.

Delicious bastards.

I doubt any smoker is unaware that they're bad for us. We're the ones coughing up tar, dealing with shallow lungs, glancing at our yellow finger (on the opposite hand that we smoke with), the.... etc. Hell, the social aspect of being a smoker is enough, all by itself, to make it unappealing. Non-smokers are rarely shy about telling smokers not to smoke, or such.

I get annoyed by the non-smokers, who go out of their way, to be near smokers... Just to say that they don't like smoking, but still they have the right to stand wherever they want.. which just happens to be, beside or in front, of the smoker. :rolleyes:

Oh them bastards

• Advertisement

OldGoat wrote: »
    Has there been a study? Not trying to be one of those "Do you have proof" types, am genuinely interested.

I'm still a cigar smoker though I'm down to about 1 a month. My pipe haven't been lit for a couple of years and my spliff intake is zero these days.

Not really. When covid started in Europe, there were a few theories that the tar on the lungs, caused the microbes of the virus problems in attaching to the lungs. I've seen a few articles referencing it, but it seems to be a theory without any research/evidence behind it. Haven't seen any similar claims for months though.

Can't imagine anyone wanting to suggest that smoking had any positives. ;)

Kylta wrote: »
    Oh them bastards

Not really. Doesn't bother me much anymore. TBH most non-smokers just stay away (except in the smoking areas of bars/cafes), which is fine with me.

Smokin. Smoking hot you mean.

I'd smoke you if your has hot as you think you are

I suppose it all depends on who cooked the meal or what it tastes like. Maybe the smoke is to get rid of the taste

When I gave up the smokes I gave up the mala, I tried hash cakes and bongs but you just can't beat a joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Not really. When covid started in Europe, there were a few theories that the tar on the lungs, caused the microbes of the virus problems in attaching to the lungs. I've seen a few articles referencing it, but it seems to be a theory without any research/evidence behind it. Haven't seen any similar claims for months though.

Can't imagine anyone wanting to suggest that smoking had any positives. ;)
    Smoking has a number of positives, it's just that they come at the expense of health.
    There is an epicurean attraction to fine tobaccos (on a par with cheese, wines and whiskys etc.) and I'll happily discuss the flavour layers of a good cigar for hours with others.
    There is a social camaraderie amongst smokers that congregate huddled under a tiny umbrella out in the back alley of pubs. This camaraderie is attractive enough that non-smokers feel the need to join in.
    The narcotic affect of smoking does bring calm and suppresses appetite, both of which are positive traits.

'tis a pity about the whole Bringing Death aspect of smoking. :(

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

'tis a pity about the whole Bringing Death aspect of smoking. :(

true enough... but.. then, loads of healthy people get badly sick too... so.. it's all about luck.

true enough... but.. then, loads of healthy people get badly sick too... so.. it's all about luck.

Stop that crap talk now.
    How are you suppose to enjoy your smoke thinking about death. When you smoke your suppose to be positive. When you take that deep drag and you exhale as the smoke spirals towards the sky, thats when you have your eureka moment.
    Or if your thinking of giving them up thats when you get depressed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

I only smoke at work, during a break. But I never do outside of work, odd I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Nothing , and I mean nothing, is as annoying as the weekend smoker who only smokes op’s.
    For someone who doesn’t smoke all week , how can they smoke cigarette after cigarette when they’re having a drink.?
    Of course , they don’t smoke enough to warrant buying a pack ! Scrounging basterds

Advertisement