Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who smokes anymore ?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Smoked for 20+ years but was giving them up on and off for months at a time over the last 4-5 years. Now have been off them 14 months and know that this is it, I am done with them and don't really miss them at all.

Was never just a social smoker and could never get my head around how someone could go all week without thinking about them and then suddenly be a smoker on a night out. I was a 20 a day person and wouldn't be able to sleep if I didn't have at least two left in the box for the next morning.

But quitting them was genuinely easy, I wanted to stop so I just did. Other times that I quit was more because I felt I 'should' and it was very easy to fall back into it but this time I just saw it for the gross and anti-social habit it had become. It was causing me stress being out with non smokers and feeling guilty if I stank of fags, it was controlling my thoughts and actions so much more than I realised and I'm so grateful I'd quit before lockdown as it would have stressed me out more having to go to the shop every day and would have smoked a LOT at home with the boredom.

I don't like judging people who still smoke, just because I managed to change my own mindset doesn't mean I should look down on somebody who hasn't been able to or doesn't want to change theirs. It's the judgey non-smokers who do my head in though, yes we know you don't like it but come back to me when you have had your own issues with one of the most addictive substances in the world, I'm sure you're not perfect yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

the only success I ever had picking up girls was in the smoking section. just as well I'm married now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Cordell wrote: »
    The non smokers must be rolling in it with all the money they save.

Non smoker:
    "If you gave up smoking you could afford a new car"

Smoker:
    " Do you smoke?"
    Non smoker:
    "No"
    Smoker:
    " Do you have a new car?"
    Non Smoker:
    "No"
    Smoker:

Mmmm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

It's the fellahs that spit out big globs of thick green slime onto the pavement that bother me. The blobs do partially dehydrate during the day, but if you step on one you're goosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think young people are more health conscious now, plus gen z wages have not gone up, but rents have gone up alot in the last 10 years .smoking is an expensive habit.my theory is most people do not enjoy smoking but once you start smoking its hard to stop.Its a form of drug addiction , you get used to inhaling smoke and holding a cigarette every few hours.
    i cycle around every day ,its not often i see anyone smoking .
    maybe young people prefer to go to coffee shops and look at phones .
    most young people have a limited amount of money to spend .
    even after 10 or 20 years you can give up smoking if you really want to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

A cigarette after a nice meal is one of life's great pleasures. Or a bit of peace and quiet staring up at the stars with a fag on a chilly evening.

Ahhh great memories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

aren't smokers in ireland paying like 10 euro in tax on the 20box?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

There is nothing as pure ,as an old hooer.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    There is nothing as pure ,as an old hooer.

"nothing as pure as a reformed whore" was how i heard it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

1990sman wrote: »

Only if you buy them legally.

• Advertisement

different STROKES for different folks

1990sman wrote: »

Which is why nothing was ever done to properly stop it.

different STROKES for different folks

If only people educated smokers that they were immune from strokes if they didn’t.

If only people educated smokers that they were immune from strokes if they didn’t.

what's that got to do with elderly ball jugglers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

A cigarette contains 100s of chemicals , every time you smoke it effects your lungs and other parts of your body. Even if you are 50 or 60 it's still worth your while giving up smoking. If you wish to live longer in good health.
    Smoking increases your risk of getting
    cancer and other diseases.
    Keith Richards gave up smoking for medical reasons.
    Your body does not get used to smoking,
    Smoking also effects people around you. There's a reason smoking is now banned in most workplaces.
    Also people who smoke are more at risk
    if they happen to get covid 19

Advertisement