Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working Class

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

What in your mind are high wages?

Wages in Ireland are low precisely because the cost of everything is high. :rolleyes:

We have a low wage economy.

Ever been to Spain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Rodin wrote: »
    Should we receive according to what we paid in?
    I'd be all for that...

Id have nobody from outwith the country moving in and claiming a state pension.

Well I'd be well qualified after 30 years paying in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Ever been to Spain?
    Yes I lived there for a bit. But that was as a child. Its been some time now.

But house prices are low in Spain.

The Irish economy is broken. It doesn't affect me so much as others. But i see it.

Yes I lived there for a bit. But that was as a child. Its been some time now.

But house prices are low in Spain.

The Irish economy is broken. It doesn't affect me so much as others. But i see it.

Spain is a low wage, low cost economy.
    Ireland is a high wage, high cost economy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

I'd class working class as having little to no disposable income after paying bills, at least for an up to date view anyways. I guess it would once have strictly been labours, factory workers etc but frankly the way economies are now a third level degree doesn't guarantee a middle class life like it used to

I know tradesmen pulling in at least 50% more a week than some "professional" types

I don't like this craic of classing welfare for life types as working class as seems to be imported from the UK. Maybe it's just from days when low income and welfare leaches would be hosted together in council estates and so the stereotype of "working class" areas being wasters doing nothing but drinking and smoking comes from I don't know

But I'd rather it be labeled as welfare class if we are going to put some sort of PC term to the no interest in working ever types

I actually feel bad for genuine people on welfare, getting drilled and labelled constantly as scum leaches, bottom feeders looking for a free ride ect, imagine the depression of going into a post office and knowing everyone that sees you thinks your a low life leach.

As a society now we are ridiculously judgmental, its no wonder suicides are a constant thing now a days. People are ruthless especially those with any bit of success (especially those that had a soft life and had there **hard earned** success handed too them, cars paid, college paid, 0 struggle except complain about the hard work of college) and these types of people then think themselves as working class, as if they ve earned and clawed there way to the top, when in reality compared to the rest of the world they literally had a free ride or as close as you could get to one.

From what I've seen from the people who post here theyre mainly yuppies, mamas boys who have no real clue what it is to live in the real world. I mean who the **** are the main "characters" on here? The mysterious wibbs? Candie the rich English girl?? Well you know wha I'm not listening to the patronizing **** any longer. I'm an Irish working class beeeee-atch and good luck to any **** that messes with me on here ��

Never pick a fight with yuppie. I will drag your balls up and down your ghetto roughly tarmacked street until you can't sit to joy ride anymore! :mad:

ITS ON!

Spain is a low wage, low cost economy.
    Ireland is a high wage, high cost economy.
    Potato..potato

It doesn't work in print. :(

Cupatae wrote: »
    I actually feel bad for genuine people on welfare, getting drilled and labelled constantly as scum leaches, bottom feeders looking for a free ride ect, imagine the depression of going into a post office and knowing everyone that sees you thinks your a low life leach.

As a society now we are ridiculously judgmental, its no wonder suicides are a constant thing now a days. People are ruthless especially those with any bit of success (especially those that had a soft life and had there **hard earned** success handed too them, cars paid, college paid, 0 struggle except complain about the hard work of college) and these types of people then think themselves as working class, as if they ve earned and clawed there way to the top, when in reality compared to the rest of the world they literally had a free ride or as close as you could get to one.

Suicide rates are going down.

Yuppie should be consigned to the 80's, where it came from.

• Advertisement

Potato..potato

It doesn't work in print. :(

The difference between an absolute statement and a relative one is important.

I know I got a free ride. Well ...my parents paid for it. I didn't steal nothin! :pac:

anewme wrote: »
    Yuppie should be consigned to the 80's, where it came from.

muppie
    i am a muppie princess

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Suicide rates are going down.

really? doesn't seem that long ago it was an "epidemic" in this country.. flavour of the month and all that i guess!

really? doesn't seem that long ago it was an "epidemic" in this country.. flavour of the month and all that i guess!

The media does not accurately portray the incidence/prevalence of most things accurately.

Trangenderism is another example.

If you think there is no working class you must have been really surprised at Sf's surge then.

• Advertisement

If you think there is no working class you must have been really surprised at Sf's surge then.

I'm not sure if you're talking to me but Ireland has a huge working class.

It also has a huge non-working class and an underclass.

I'm not sure if you're talking to me but Ireland has a huge working class.

It also has a huge non-working class and an underclass.
    According to the figures it doesn't have a huge non working class. It has a huge homeless underclass though.

Unemployment is 4.8%.

Spain has 13% unemployment. Greece has 18% unemployment. Italy has 9 %

France has an unemployment rate of 8.8 %

We are not far off Germany who are at 3.1%

According to the figures it doesn't have a huge non working class. It has a huge homeless underclass though.

Unemployment is 4.8%.

Spain has 13% unemployment. Greece has 18% unemployment. Italy has 9 %

France has an unemployment rate of 8.8 %

We are not far off Germany who are at 3.1%

Ireland has one of the highest rates of receipt of disability benefit in the EU. These are non-working.
    Many are genuine cases.
    Many are fleecing the system.

Why should Ireland have such a high rate?
    Not like we have war wounded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

But many more have than not have and should be respected.

They retire young though and get great benefits, and those benefits aren't dependent on ever being a taxpayer either.
    Future pensioners will start at 70 something and less benefits.

maninasia wrote: »
    They retire young though and get great benefits, and those benefits aren't dependent on ever being a taxpayer either.

I'm due out at 68 and am not happy with that.

I dont think the benefits are great.

• Advertisement

I'm due out at 68 and am not happy with that.

I dont think the benefits are great.

What do you think you should get?
    I think state pension and benefits are very generous here but shouldnt be a gap between enforced retirement and claiming if state pension.

What do you think you should get?

Pension at 65.

Ireland has one of the highest rates of receipt of disability benefit in the EU. These are non-working.
    Many are genuine cases.
    Many are fleecing the system.

Why should Ireland have such a high rate?
    Not like we have war wounded.
    no we don't.

Source ?

France and Germany spend way more than us per capita and the rest of europe in fact according to online stats.

Ireland maintains social security agreements with other countries to cover this kind of situation. If an emigrant has worked and paid social insurance in England but retires in Ireland, he can use his contributions to qualify for retirement benefits in Ireland. The same would apply to the reverse scenario.

It doesn't cover lots of countries outside the EU unfortunately. But you are correct many common emigrant countries are covered.

you think a state pension is 'great benefits'????

What in your mind are high wages?

Wages in Ireland are low precisely because the cost of everything is high. :rolleyes:

We have a low wage economy.

BS. Ireland has very high wages on the global and even European scale.

That it also has high taxes and costs is another story.

you think a state pension is 'great benefits'????

It's not only that though is it.

Free travel, medical cards, subsidised phone, fuel, tv, numerous other benefits and discounts. Subsidised or free accommodation for those with no home.
    Many pensioners are well off ,paid off their mortgsges and even get private pensions too.

Relatively young retirement age at 65 years old.

You should see what pensioners get across the water or in 95% plus of countries worldwide. Those people would be green with envy at the deal in Ireland.

Free travel, medical cards, subsidised phone, fuel, numerous other benefits and discounts. Subsidised or free accommodation for those with no home.
    Many pensioners are well off ,paid off their mortgsges and even get private pensions too.

You should see what pensioners get across the water or in 95% plus of countries worldwide. Those people would be green with envy at the deal in Ireland.

Same goes for social welfare.

A pensioner couple in Ireland get almost 500notesin their hand, NET, a week.
    Plus all the other benefits.

Free travel, medical cards, subsidised phone, fuel, numerous other benefits and discounts. Subsidised or free accommodation for those with no home.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeee..i cant wait!

weeeeeeeeeeeeeee..i cant wait!

Stop moaning then.

• Advertisement

Free travel, medical cards, subsidised phone, fuel, tv, numerous other benefits and discounts. Subsidised or free accommodation for those with no home.

Relatively young retirement age at 65 years old.

They get a private pension only if they've paid into it.

Is fuel allowance for example not means tested?

How many other "benefits" are means tested.?

Stop moaning then.
    its in me nature! ;) its in me blood!

From what I've seen from the people who post here theyre mainly yuppies, mamas boys who have no real clue what it is to live in the real world. I mean who the **** are the main "characters" on here? The mysterious wibbs? Candie the rich English girl?? Well you know wha I'm not listening to the patronizing **** any longer. I'm an Irish working class beeeee-atch and good luck to any **** that messes with me on here 😊

You aren't even fit to wash Wibbs underwear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Welfare class, working class, middle class , upper class and finally whinger class

They get a private pension only if they've paid into it.

Is fuel allowance for example not means tested?

How many other "benefits" are means tested.?

The pension and the free travel aren't means tested I believe. For the others...Not sure.

The pension and the free travel aren't means tested I believe. For the others...Not sure.
    ah bollix! :mad:

The pension is " contributory" so based on contributions.

I think the fuel is means tested, so many wont qualify, not sure of the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Ye do realize you don't just 'get' the state pension either.

My granny struggled to get the full rate despite working for 20 years , because being at home raising children like alot of women in their 60's/70's done a few years ago, counted for nothing.

The pension is " contributory" so based on contributions.

I think the fuel is means tested, so many wont qualify, not sure of the rest.

Except when it's 'non-contributory' .

• Advertisement

Except when it's 'non-contributory' .

I'm talking about the contributory level.

I still think the rest is means tested.

I'm talking about the contributory level.

I still think the rest is means tested.

And if you've no means (because you claimed all your life for example) it's almost 500euro a week for a pensioner couple + state benefits

And if you've no means (because you claimed all your life for example) it's almost 500euro a week for a pensioner couple + state benefits

Fuel allowance is means tested

Fuel Allowance is a means-tested payment. If you are getting a non-contributory social welfare payment, you are accepted as satisfying the means test.

So those who have paid in are means tested, what rubbish.

this thread has me confused some of you say people on welfare are millionaires some of you say you are not sure

this thread has me confused some of you say people on welfare are millionaires some of you say you are not sure

The working poor who are entitled to nothing are the real victims/vulnerable in the country.

The working poor who are entitled to nothing are the real victims/vulnerable in the country.
    they are equal victims ...

**** it tho ...i have decided im upper class either that or classless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    An interesting fact.... 5% of Irish adults are described as 'disabled' on the last census. In some areas of Limerick, 15% of people have declared themselves as disabled and incapable of work. Unless they have localised TB or rickets, this is a wind-up.

It might or might not be a wind up. People in poor areas have a different lifestyle to people in wealthier areas. Poorer people tend to smoke more for example. Poorer people tend to do more manual jobs. Take two populations of people who work in an office and people who work on building sites. Aged 55-65, which population do you expect to have more disabilities?

Worklessness contributes to conditions like depression. So between physical and mental health, the difference in disabilities might not be a wind up.

I once saw an analysis of life expectancy of people in different parts of Newcastle in North East England. The area of each stop on the Metro was analysed to see the difference in life expectancy. They found a difference of 8years between the leafy wealthy areas and the poorest areas. Maybe those people are dying as a wind up too but I suspect there are differences in health between wealthy and poor areas.

they are equal victims ...

**** it tho ...i have decided im upper class either that or classless

I suspect you're upper middle class. From the thread and other reading, I suspect we have the struggling class, the lower/upper middle class (which is most of the Irish population), and then the wealthy.

Potentially I'm upper middle class, but right now due to circumstances I'm lower middle class.

Working class is meaningless now considering the changes in society. Those who talk about working class are just making a moral/political statement, the same way that communists used the phrase "comrade". It intentionally evokes a range of emotions, and isn't an accurate description of anyone anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Working class! Middle class! What nonsense!

I laughed so hard at this thread my monocle fell into my snifter of cognac.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭chrissb8

imme wrote: »
    It is a redundant term.

Paddy O'Gorman from RTE radio was interviewing people outside the Social Welfare office before Christmas 2019.

One woman was saying how her children all wanted x,y,z items.

She said how she would be spending €1,000 on each child.

Oh, to be working class,
    fancy phones and Canada Goose coats.

This. It's the acceptance of the lifestyle in some cases, that there will always be a source of income in the form of welfare. It just defeats the whole purpose of it, there is no excuse now in Ireland to not have work if you're able.

I remember watching a TV show on RTE a few years back about a family who couldn't afford Xmas. The mother was single and "couldn't find work". The mother was playing with her child in the sitting room and in the background....the latest skybox and a big massive smart tv only bought within the last year by the looks of the model.

Some people just don't know how to save and need all the latest crap for their kids, image or whatever. Then play the bleeding heart card. If you actually needed the money, even on welfare, you would make the necessary sacrifices to ensure there was some put to the side. Like most people do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Hoop66

It's when you have your dinner in the middle of the day

• Advertisement
Advertisement