Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Class

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Cupatae wrote: »
    I actually feel bad for genuine people on welfare, getting drilled and labelled constantly as scum leaches, bottom feeders looking for a free ride ect, imagine the depression of going into a post office and knowing everyone that sees you thinks your a low life leach.

As a society now we are ridiculously judgmental, its no wonder suicides are a constant thing now a days. People are ruthless especially those with any bit of success (especially those that had a soft life and had there **hard earned** success handed too them, cars paid, college paid, 0 struggle except complain about the hard work of college) and these types of people then think themselves as working class, as if they ve earned and clawed there way to the top, when in reality compared to the rest of the world they literally had a free ride or as close as you could get to one.

I know I got a free ride. Well ...my parents paid for it. I didn't steal nothin! :pac:

anewme wrote: »
    Yuppie should be consigned to the 80's, where it came from.

muppie
    i am a muppie princess

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Rodin wrote: »
    Suicide rates are going down.

really? doesn't seem that long ago it was an "epidemic" in this country.. flavour of the month and all that i guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Cupatae wrote: »
    really? doesn't seem that long ago it was an "epidemic" in this country.. flavour of the month and all that i guess!

The media does not accurately portray the incidence/prevalence of most things accurately.

Trangenderism is another example.

If you think there is no working class you must have been really surprised at Sf's surge then.

• Advertisement

If you think there is no working class you must have been really surprised at Sf's surge then.

I'm not sure if you're talking to me but Ireland has a huge working class.

It also has a huge non-working class and an underclass.

I'm not sure if you're talking to me but Ireland has a huge working class.

It also has a huge non-working class and an underclass.
    According to the figures it doesn't have a huge non working class. It has a huge homeless underclass though.

Unemployment is 4.8%.

Spain has 13% unemployment. Greece has 18% unemployment. Italy has 9 %

France has an unemployment rate of 8.8 %

We are not far off Germany who are at 3.1%

According to the figures it doesn't have a huge non working class. It has a huge homeless underclass though.

Unemployment is 4.8%.

Spain has 13% unemployment. Greece has 18% unemployment. Italy has 9 %

France has an unemployment rate of 8.8 %

We are not far off Germany who are at 3.1%

Ireland has one of the highest rates of receipt of disability benefit in the EU. These are non-working.
    Many are genuine cases.
    Many are fleecing the system.

Why should Ireland have such a high rate?
    Not like we have war wounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

But many more have than not have and should be respected.

They retire young though and get great benefits, and those benefits aren't dependent on ever being a taxpayer either.
    Future pensioners will start at 70 something and less benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭anewme

maninasia wrote: »
    They retire young though and get great benefits, and those benefits aren't dependent on ever being a taxpayer either.

I'm due out at 68 and am not happy with that.

I dont think the benefits are great.

• Advertisement

I'm due out at 68 and am not happy with that.

I dont think the benefits are great.

What do you think you should get?
    I think state pension and benefits are very generous here but shouldnt be a gap between enforced retirement and claiming if state pension.

What do you think you should get?

Pension at 65.

Ireland has one of the highest rates of receipt of disability benefit in the EU. These are non-working.
    Many are genuine cases.
    Many are fleecing the system.

Why should Ireland have such a high rate?
    Not like we have war wounded.
    no we don't.

Source ?

France and Germany spend way more than us per capita and the rest of europe in fact according to online stats.

Ireland maintains social security agreements with other countries to cover this kind of situation. If an emigrant has worked and paid social insurance in England but retires in Ireland, he can use his contributions to qualify for retirement benefits in Ireland. The same would apply to the reverse scenario.

It doesn't cover lots of countries outside the EU unfortunately. But you are correct many common emigrant countries are covered.

you think a state pension is 'great benefits'????

What in your mind are high wages?

Wages in Ireland are low precisely because the cost of everything is high. :rolleyes:

We have a low wage economy.

BS. Ireland has very high wages on the global and even European scale.

That it also has high taxes and costs is another story.

you think a state pension is 'great benefits'????

It's not only that though is it.

Free travel, medical cards, subsidised phone, fuel, tv, numerous other benefits and discounts. Subsidised or free accommodation for those with no home.
    Many pensioners are well off ,paid off their mortgsges and even get private pensions too.

Relatively young retirement age at 65 years old.

You should see what pensioners get across the water or in 95% plus of countries worldwide. Those people would be green with envy at the deal in Ireland.

Free travel, medical cards, subsidised phone, fuel, numerous other benefits and discounts. Subsidised or free accommodation for those with no home.
    Many pensioners are well off ,paid off their mortgsges and even get private pensions too.

You should see what pensioners get across the water or in 95% plus of countries worldwide. Those people would be green with envy at the deal in Ireland.

Same goes for social welfare.

A pensioner couple in Ireland get almost 500notesin their hand, NET, a week.
    Plus all the other benefits.

Free travel, medical cards, subsidised phone, fuel, numerous other benefits and discounts. Subsidised or free accommodation for those with no home.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeee..i cant wait!

weeeeeeeeeeeeeee..i cant wait!

Stop moaning then.

• Advertisement

Free travel, medical cards, subsidised phone, fuel, tv, numerous other benefits and discounts. Subsidised or free accommodation for those with no home.

Relatively young retirement age at 65 years old.

They get a private pension only if they've paid into it.

Is fuel allowance for example not means tested?

How many other "benefits" are means tested.?

Stop moaning then.
    its in me nature! ;) its in me blood!

From what I've seen from the people who post here theyre mainly yuppies, mamas boys who have no real clue what it is to live in the real world. I mean who the **** are the main "characters" on here? The mysterious wibbs? Candie the rich English girl?? Well you know wha I'm not listening to the patronizing **** any longer. I'm an Irish working class beeeee-atch and good luck to any **** that messes with me on here 😊

You aren't even fit to wash Wibbs underwear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Welfare class, working class, middle class , upper class and finally whinger class

They get a private pension only if they've paid into it.

Is fuel allowance for example not means tested?

How many other "benefits" are means tested.?

The pension and the free travel aren't means tested I believe. For the others...Not sure.

The pension and the free travel aren't means tested I believe. For the others...Not sure.
    ah bollix! :mad:

The pension is " contributory" so based on contributions.

I think the fuel is means tested, so many wont qualify, not sure of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Ye do realize you don't just 'get' the state pension either.

My granny struggled to get the full rate despite working for 20 years , because being at home raising children like alot of women in their 60's/70's done a few years ago, counted for nothing.

The pension is " contributory" so based on contributions.

I think the fuel is means tested, so many wont qualify, not sure of the rest.

Except when it's 'non-contributory' .

• Advertisement

Except when it's 'non-contributory' .

I'm talking about the contributory level.

I still think the rest is means tested.

Advertisement