Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Charlton has died

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

He was that guy that everyone called your uncle even though he wasn't related. An absolute titan of my childhood

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Love that Northampton Town played a part in his "style". The fun Charlton brother. He deserves to RIP.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/the-day-big-jack-charlton-talked-absolute-cobblers-428066.html

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Gutted

They were really great days. I can't be bothered with football these days but Italia 90 was something else.

RIP Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,470 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

RIP Jack.

I was never a football fan but have many happy memories of those years. The hope, anticipation and excitement of the time will never be equalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I don't think he really gets the credit he deserves from some quarters... he was a very shrewd manager and a proper old-school leader! His tactics gave us a fighting chance against even the best teams in the world...

Also took guts to manage the Ireland team, as an Englishman, while the IRA were still planting bombs in his home country. This is very rarely even mentioned about him. Great character, will be sadly missed. RIP big jack!

Not to take anything away from Charlton but we had a seriously talented group of players during his time which became somewhat blunted due to Jacks, er, robust tactics and style of play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,669 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

R I.P Jack.

You are a legend now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭dasdog

What he did to this country you cannot measure. He was adored and will be sadly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Jack Charlton was one of only two people, to my knowledge, to have been given honourary Irish citizenship.

Pub quiz question - name the other one?

Chester Beatty was the first

Granted it by De Valera for donating his collection to the Irish State

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

What I liked about him was he was a proper man, tough and uncompromising, not like the metros of today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭This is it

A sad day for Ireland, such a legend. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dayjur

Not to take anything away from Charlton but we had a seriously talented group of players during his time which became somewhat blunted due to Jacks, er, robust tactics and style of play.

always one football manager hero

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Is that you Eamon..? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Dayjur wrote: »

The funny thing is, Charlton's tactics used in the current game?

Would be called the high press and fast transition.

"Long ball" lessens the actual impact of what he achieved and over simplifies it.
    Recognising our immediate attributes and as Jack was fond of saying.
    Imposing our game on the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,857 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Prior to Jack Ireland had never qualified for a FIFA World Cup or a European Championship. That’s how little impact football in Ireland had on the international stage.

In 1988 we qualified for the euros. Acquitted ourselves well. In 1990 we qualified, reached the quarter final of the World Cup, narrowly loosing to Italy. We went from practically a team there to make up the numbers to being one of the last 8 teams in the competition. Imagine we were a goal or two from a World Cup semi final. That’s what Jack and the lads did for us. 1990 was a summer of pure joy...the happiness

1994 I was over in New York, there only a teenager...Ray Houghton scored at the other end of Giants stadium, place went mad. The sheer amount of happiness enjoyed by Irish people that day and for a while to come was unmatched...

The impact Jack had on many of our lives, our enjoyment, excitement and joy of being Irish... great times, he was a great guy..uncompromising, driven, smart and a gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Dayjur wrote: »

It's a myth that Ireland had a poor squad and had to be plucky just because Jack was brought in, anyone with even a passing interest in football would tell you that.

We had players that could actually play football, all of them or most playing for the top sides in England.

That doesn't tally with the whole Ole Ole nonsense though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dayjur

banie01 wrote: »
    The funny thing is, Charlton's tactics used in the current game?

Would be called the high press and fast transition.

"Long ball" lessens the actual impact of what he achieved and over simplifies it.
    Recognising our immediate attributes and as Jack was fond of saying.
    Imposing our game on the opposition.

it certainly is used and unfortunately with devastating efficiency in the current liverpool team

• Registered Users Posts: 24,857 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It's a myth that Ireland had a poor squad and had to be plucky just because Jack was brought in, anyone with even a passing interest in football would tell you that.

We had players that could actually play football, all of them or most playing for the top sides in England.

True...Eoin Hand had players who could play too, at the peak of their powers, but he wasn’t chartering a jet to a World Cup or Euros...

https://www.11v11.com/teams/republic-of-ireland/tab/players/season/1986/

United, Liverpool, Celtic, Spurs, Arsenal, Newcastle players...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭anewme

A team can achieve nothing without a leader, no matter how much talent any individual has. Just heard John Aldridge say on the news that the team would do anything for him. Paul McGrath just described losing a father figure. That’s what gets results.

What he brought to Our country is way beyond football. He taught us we can dream big and achieve at a time when we most needed it.

Today is a day for Ole, Ole, Ole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

God is dead.

The memory of beating in England 1988 as a kid will stay with me for ever.
    My parents and brothers was screaming and shouting dancing it was fantastic.
    That game changed football in Ireland, Football in Ireland then exploded.

1990 will never ever be surpassed, as a kid Dad came home early from work and we all went to the pub to it was late.
    The parties the flags i think 1990 was the best year in my life a year i wont ever forget.

Good or bad team what it did for the country was unbelievable at the time.

Jack is a football legend for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

Damien360 wrote: »
    Has anyone found the original clip of Jack at the Aviva. I remember seeing it on TV at the time on rte news I think and there was no stupid commentary.

Some commentary on this link that someone shared on twitter earlier, but you can hear the crowd break into another “We’re all part of Jackie’s army...” toward the end.

It’s so difficult to put into words how much he meant, and will always mean to a nation of dreamers who he helped become achievers. I don’t remember ‘88 properly but I remember so well how Italia 90 changed & united us so much at a time when we really needed it.
    He really was something else, and the legacy he leaves behind is a testament to the great man he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭This is it

itac wrote: »
    Some commentary on this link that someone shared on twitter earlier, but you can hear the crowd break into another “We’re all part of Jackie’s army...” toward the end.

https://vimeo.com/130414914

It’s so difficult to put into words how much he meant, and will always mean to a nation of dreamers who he helped become achievers. I don’t remember ‘88 properly but I remember so well how Italia 90 changed & united us so much at a time when we really needed it.
    He really was something else, and the legacy he leaves behind is a testament to the great man he was.

Wow, that's linked video is amazing. I'm not far off tears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭PGE1970

In 1990, Ireland was a depressing place to be. There were no jobs and we were, essentially, a third world country.

But the summer of 1990 was the most exciting time of my life. I was 20, on the dole, skint and there was f ** k all to look forward to.

And then we had the most magical 4 weeks ever. Where people cried, laughed and hugged. Where we stood up and were proud to be Irish.

The nation held its breath and we put 'em under pressure.

You had to be there.

RIP Jack. Thank you for giving the country hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

A lot of our most talented technical players were coming to end of their careers when Charlton came in... namely Brady and Whelan.

We tried to play technical passing football under previous managers like Giles and Eoin Hand, but got nowhere with it.

Your view is quite typical of the (admittedly small) cohort of football revisionists in this country, who think Charlton underachieved. When in fact his record suggests that he actually overachieved.

This attitude is mostly just borne out of the fact that people found his style of football to be unsophisticated and uncultured. It's football snobbery basically... and you guys are incapable of looking beyond what you see as an ugly style of play, and recognising that it was hugely effective and efficient.

But this is actually part of the reason I loved Big Jack... he put a lot of people's noses out of joint... he did it HIS way, and all the football snobs and purists simply had to sit there bite their lip and accept it... because we got results and nobody enjoyed playing against us! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

RIP Jack. Legend of a man. We really were part of the team in the 90s

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

There’s a lovely bronze statue of him fishing at cork Airport. A fitting tribute.

I will always cherish my OPEL jersey. Wouldn’t sell it for all the tea in Yorkshire

• Registered Users Posts: 15,346 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

RIP Big Jack and condolences to his family

Best manager of Ireland during my time watching the national team. And a great character.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I havent been a football fan since 1990. This news sure smarts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Will Michael D go over for funeral.... it deserves a big representative from Ireland to say THANKS JACK

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Masala wrote: »
    Will Michael D go over for funeral.... it deserves a big representative from Ireland to say THANKS JACK

He loves his football so I'm sure he will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

This was along with Jacks Army the anthem. Nancy spains back bar big screen. 17 years old. Jesus Christ when did I get old....

Advertisement