Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Charlton has died

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

To live through that amazing era was an absolute pleasure.
    RIP Jack and thanks for the glorious memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Saw him in Kerry a few years ago on his hols. Stopped chatting to everyone.

Italia 90. What memories. First I knew of the concept of sport. And we sang Jackie's army every day in school.

He was quite the good angler too. Made a few fishing documentaries and of course his statue in Cork airport depicts this side of him.

Sleep well and tight lines big Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

One of the good guys. Loved his fishing. Bumped into him once in Ballina when I was there for a few days, back about 20 years ago. Didn't even know then he had a holiday home close by. RIP Big Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

An absolute legend, put Ireland on the soccer map for sure. Grew up with great memories of Euro '88, Italia '90, USA 94. What an era. A great man that will be truly missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

A man who never gave up. Sad to hear of his passing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Fantastic memories.brilliant guy.

R.I.P jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

This is sad news, remember the craic driving around Stephens Green after he led Ireland to a win against England. Pure gentleman.

He deserves a statue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Ah Christ, what a ledge. RIP
    Lundstram wrote: »
    Having a fag before kick off for Leeds. :D

Ecoc-M8WoAUkpz5?format=jpg&name=900x900

Celestial

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭griffin100

It’s funny, I’ve zero interest in football now, but Euro 88 defined my teenage years. Paying £2 for schoolboy tickets to watch the qualifiers in Landsdown Road, the excitement of standing on the terraces and then the tournament itself.

RTÉ showed the full Ireland v England match from 88 a couple of weeks ago and I watched it with my 15 year old son who is the same age now as I was then. I couldn’t make him understand the importance of what happened that day. He couldn’t understand why it still brought tears to my eyes. He lives in a different, more confident Ireland where if we beat England in a football match it would be noted but wouldn’t lead to national celebration. Back then we were in a different place and we had little to celebrate on a national level. The joy Jack and the team brought to countless people was, and is immeasurable.

Thanks for the memories Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

My fondest memories of my youth revolve around those tournaments, beating England, that penalty shootout, Houghton again. The buzz was like nothing before, he lit up the country.

Thanks for the memories, RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Cal4567 wrote: »
    One of the good guys. Loved his fishing. Bumped into him once in Ballina when I was there for a few days, back about 20 years ago. Didn't even know then he had a holiday home close by. RIP Big Jack.

My Grandad used to fish with him in Ballina before he died. I played gaelic football for 20 plus years, still do, never played soccer but the 1990 and 1994 world cups had a huge effect on me, I never miss an Ireland game and love going to soccer matches more so than gaelic football. Im a soccer fan really and them 2 world cups are the reason. id say there are lads playing professionally now who wouldnt be only for those two world cups. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I don't remember a happier time in this country as it was back then

RIP Jack

This is it; don’t get days like that anymore now I feel...RIP Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Damien360

Has anyone found the original clip of Jack at the Aviva. I remember seeing it on TV at the time on rte news I think and there was no stupid commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Jack attitude: Why not?

pgj2015 wrote: »
    My Grandad used to fish with him in Ballina before he died. I played gaelic football for 20 plus years, still do, never played soccer but the 1990 and 1994 world cups had a huge effect on me, I never miss an Ireland game and love going to soccer matches more so than gaelic football. Im a soccer fan really and them 2 world cups are the reason. id say there are lads playing professionally now who wouldnt be only for those two world cups. RIP.

For a brief time even my ma was a soccer fan, surreal

They truly were household names now even I struggle to name any of the squad! :o especially the Nigerian lads, hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

I don't think he really gets the credit he deserves from some quarters... he was a very shrewd manager and a proper old-school leader! His tactics gave us a fighting chance against even the best teams in the world...

Also took guts to manage the Ireland team, as an Englishman, while the IRA were still planting bombs in his home country. This is very rarely even mentioned about him. Great character, will be sadly missed. RIP big jack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Did more for this country than any political leader ever has.

R. I. P. Jack.

Correct.

Anyone else remember this shameless little turd jumping on the bandwagon in Rome in 1990?

INPHO_00055654.jpg

Look at him. Lording it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Jack Imhoff

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Look at him. Lording it up

Almost as bad as Arnold O'Byrne back in the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Genuinely saddened by this. Jack and the Irish team from those days were a big part of my childhood. They brought some cheer into a country in the doldrums.

Thanks for everything, Jack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

RIP Jack. I'll always remember him giving out to the officials v Mexico to get water on to the lads

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I remember College Green when him and the team came back, biggest parade ever for a bunch of losers! :P

Irish version of Coolrunnings, we won that year, didn't we?

cj maxx wrote: »
    RIP Jack. I'll always remember him giving out to the officials v Mexico to get water on to the lads

I’ll remember that baseball hat. Steve Staunton wore one onto the pitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Met him once in an Irish pub in England. Nice fella, but awful tight, wouldn't dream of buying a drink when there was a steady supply of Irish people to put one in front of him. He explained how he paid for everything by cheque in Ireland because no one ever cashed them, they framed them and put them on the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

I wonder will Eamon Dunphy be scribbling out a valedictory article about Big Jack for the Sunday Indo.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

R. I. P
    I was never a soccer fan but Charlton gave this country some of the best times it ever had

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Big jack used to love the bit of hunting,fishing and shooting.a good lad he was.
    Rip to him.
    “Jacks game”on you tube is worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Legend

The full put em under pressure with the intro, has to have the intro lads!!

This gem from ardal and Dermot. Wonder if rte show the whole tribute again

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

RIP Big Jack. Thanks for all of the fantastic memories from 1986 to 1996.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

RIP Jack

Advertisement