Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carton Wood - Maynooth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 NM123

Have been informed that Phase 2 launch has been pushed from spring to summer 2017. Seems they have some unsold units from phase1 (4&5bed) which they need to sell first...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dcresham

NM123 wrote:
    Have been informed that Phase 2 launch has been pushed from spring to summer 2017. Seems they have some unsold units from phase1 (4&5bed) which they need to sell first...

By whom, I spoke with Savilles on Wednesday and this was not mentioned and from a recent visit the houses were flying up. When 70 plus houses of the development are some variation of 3 bed this would make little sense. Unless the developer is waiting for the summer to drive up the 3 bed variant price ranges. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭westsider

Hi, did you hear this from Savills directly. I know they were going to start with unsold phase 1 but didn't hear about phase 2 been pushed out further. Thanks.

Yes we were told this on Friday from Savills. We called up looking for the price list as we expected next launch in the next week or so and were hoping to buy a 3bed. Only to be told they would be opening up but only to release remaining 4&5 beds again next week

That's disappointing, we too hoped to get a 3 bed in this phase. We'll have to see what we'll do now.

westsider wrote: »
    That's disappointing, we too hoped to get a 3 bed in this phase. We'll have to see what we'll do now.

Yes very. I'm hoping they just want to see how they get on next week with selling remaining units and then they can decide when to start next phase. Was hard to get details out of Savills so hopefully they will be able to clarify exact situation in the next week

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PDiddy87

I think the developer has modified the internal design of the 4 bed houses so they are probably relaunching these these next week to try and get a few more units sold before the phase 2 launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

Wonder is it a timing thing with Carton Grove in first phase mode. Keep perception of limited supply.

ixus wrote:
    Wonder is it a timing thing with Carton Grove in first phase mode. Keep perception of limited supply.

Any info on Carton Grove. Don't see anything posted anywhere about the development or developer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 69x0qfea7rndmi

I think you are all crazy! These houses are boxy, priced at a premium and are beside the halting site! What is this thing about new houses? The second hand houses in much older, settled estates are a better bet! You will not add value to a new house! A few houses have come up in carton Court and sold in a few weeks. I see a detached house in carton Court, which s friend has viewed, for €399k, amazing! Walkin at €100k less than new ones and iit had the extras that you won't get in a new build! 3 carton court am I missing something? Help please!

I think you are all crazy! These houses are boxy, priced at a premium and are beside the halting site! What is this thing about new houses? The second hand houses in much older, settled estates are a better bet! You will not add value to a new house! A few houses have come up in carton Court and sold in a few weeks. I see a detached house in carton Court, which s friend has viewed, for €399k, amazing! Walkin at €100k less than new ones and iit had the extras that you won't get in a new build! 3 carton court am I missing something? Help please!

It really is each to their own on old vs New and I agree with a lot of the points you make on second hand houses. With these particular new builds you get higher energy efficiency, all flooring and appliances included and walking distance of the town. You pay a premium but don't need to worry about rewiring/ replumbing and other maintenance issues you may get with an older build. Again it really is each to their own on this!

Hi yes you have a point, each to their own. Yes great energy ratings, new wiring and plumbing but a premium of €100k is being paid! €50k would go along way upgrading a second hand house. But yes it is a personal preference!

Let it. At D2 it's a fricken icebox and I've been in those houses plenty of times. I guess what you don't get is that someone would have to buy it and put 50k plus cash into it after their deposit. This against simply putting deposit into a new build. Then you have a FTB who gets a tax rebate from the govt for buying new build.

A FTB has to put 20k down for a new build v 40k for that. Everyone has to put 40k into that plus 50k to upgrade it.

Im not against second hand homes but that's the math on it.

Best of luck selling it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭f@steddie

Hi yes you have a point, each to their own. Yes great energy ratings, new wiring and plumbing but a premium of €100k is being paid! €50k would go along way upgrading a second hand house. But yes it is a personal preference!
    Where's the 100k premium? There are 4 bed in Carton Wood on sale for 415k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭you2008

This was on Market more than 6 months, (if I am not wrong), and there is a reason why it was not sold yet, delight to see it sale agreed at this stage, but sale agreed mean ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

you2008 wrote: »
    This was on Market more than 6 months, (if I am not wrong), and there is a reason why it was not sold yet, delight to see it sale agreed at this stage, but sale agreed mean ?

I viewed that place back in about September if I remember rightly. It was ok decent size, the bedrooms were a bit of an odd shape from what I can recall.

At that time the asking was €380-385k I think and they had €375k on it (supposedly). Supposedly going sale agreed soon then too I think.. The estate wasn't that appealing, a lot of poorly kept houses in it it seemed.

Just received a email from Savills. New phase launching this weekend and all house types are included.

Looks like they dropped the 5 bed 2,000sqft back to original 505k from 525k. 500k would widen the net to include FTBuyer with tax.

Not sure what the size difference is to Moyglare Hall detached which traded at 440k last Summer.(it's approx 1,850sqft. These were going for 650k in 2006 -madness)

ixus wrote: »
    Looks like they dropped the 5 bed 2,000sqft back to original 505k from 525k. 500k would widen the net to include FTBuyer with tax.

Not too many FTBuyers with 505K to burn I hope!

• Advertisement

PDiddy87 wrote: »
    ixus wrote: »

Not too many FTBuyers with 505K to burn I hope!

500k for a FTB is 30k savings plus 20k tax rebate. 30yr mortgage is 1950 pm at 3.2% with UB. It's steep but that's going rate for renting a decent detached at the moment. At 3.5 earnings, it's a combined salary of approx 130k.

The CB move to 10% deposit and the govt rebate has really stoked things. Twelve months ago, you had to have 100k for that price (unless bank made exception). Now, it's 30k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pappsmah81

I live round the corner went to see the first phase last year and found the 3 bed detached to be very pokey. But 4/5 bed are fab. Last night from around 7pm there was 8/9 cars parked outside with people queing for the second phase launch today

Madness. Media induced hype.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,146 ✭✭✭✭beertons

What are all the panels on the roof for? Purely for heating water, or have they pv systems installed?

beertons wrote: »
    What are all the panels on the roof for? Purely for heating water, or have they pv systems installed?

They supply electricity to the whole house rather then just providing hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 321S

pappsmah81 wrote: »
    I live round the corner went to see the first phase last year and found the 3 bed detached to be very pokey. But 4/5 bed are fab. Last night from around 7pm there was 8/9 cars parked outside with people queing for the second phase launch today

I think they were still launching the first phase yesterday I don't think the second phase has been launched yet.

Hi, anyone that bought in first phase in November were they strict on returning contracts within the 21 days. We bought in Feb phase & our solicitor has the contracts but feels he needs an extension on timeframe- just wondering has this happened to anyone else & were kitchen appliances etc still included in sale. Many thanks

Hi Westsider, We also bought in Feb phase and could also be tight on the the 21days turnaround too. Do you mind me asking does your solicitor feel there are issues with the contracts themselves and they are not happy for you to sign yet or is it more of a physical time constraint the solicitor is facing?

We purchased in November. Although we got the contracts back within 21 days of issue we signed on day 20 and we weren't put under any pressure as the date got closer from builder or their solicitor.

NM123 wrote: »
    Hi Westsider, We also bought in Feb phase and could also be tight on the the 21days turnaround too. Do you mind me asking does your solicitor feel there are issues with the contracts themselves and they are not happy for you to sign yet or is it more of a physical time constraint the solicitor is facing?
    No there are no specific issues he has highlighted to date I think he just feels he may need more time. He has asked for an extension to the time period, we however would be keen to sign in the timeframe so long as there are no major concerns highlighted.

• Advertisement

PDiddy87 wrote: »
    We purchased in November. Although we got the contracts back within 21 days of issue we signed on day 20 and we weren't put under any pressure as the date got closer from builder or their solicitor.

Hi, have you received an expected completion date yet - just wondering is it still planned for around April timeframe?

Solicitor has just contacted us to say conveyancing is more complicated as it's a NAMA sale and also as the title is not registered- he is looking for additional fees for this. I just wonder has anyone else who has bought been told this by their solicitor?

Your solicitor is likely doing a thorough job.

Completion date is mid/late April.

Westsider, we had the same thing with our solicitor. There was a title registration fee. However this reduced a different fee that we had planned for. So it actually works out a bit cheaper then planned.

Solicitor has just contacted us to say conveyancing is more complicated as it's a NAMA sale and also as the title is not registered- he is looking for additional fees for this. I just wonder has anyone else who has bought been told this by their solicitor?

This has not come up with us (yet!)... Have you had any indication yet about the consequences of not returning your signed contracts within the 21days? We are still waiting for an answer from Solicitor on this

Has the developer finally signed up for the help to buy scheme yet?

NM123 wrote: »
    This has not come up with us (yet!)... Have you had any indication yet about the consequences of not returning your signed contracts within the 21days? We are still waiting for an answer from Solicitor on this

No indication as yet as our solicitor has yet to hear back from vendors solicitor on this request for extension. I have contacted estate agent on request from our solicitor to try and speed up a response from them.

No indication as yet as our solicitor has yet to hear back from vendors solicitor on this request for extension. I have contacted estate agent on request from our solicitor to try and speed up a response from them.

Thanks, we are in similar situation & waiting for their feedback too

dcresham wrote: »
    Has the developer finally signed up for the help to buy scheme yet?

Yes that are registered for scheme under Briargate developments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 LeeC1990

Hi all,

We bought a three bed terraced house in the first phase and we have now been told the house won't be completed until late May! In the meantime we've sold our place and are trying to delay the sale on that end, but it's hard when we keep been told different completion dates. Has anyone else who bought in the first phase been told the completion date has been delayed and won't be until late May?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

LeeC1990 wrote: »
    Hi all,

We bought a three bed terraced house in the first phase and we have now been told the house won't be completed until late May! In the meantime we've sold our place and are trying to delay the sale on that end, but it's hard when we keep been told different completion dates. Has anyone else who bought in the first phase been told the completion date has been delayed and won't be until late May?!

A word of warning from someone who's bought new build elsewhere.
    Completion in late May means you snag in late May, then they've two weeks to fix (often drags out a bit) and allow another week to close. Typically it's four weeks from completion to keys.

And those keys are to a house with no flooring or curtains. Most people like to take a week or two to sort those.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Completion dates on houses are rarely what you are told they will be ,you can put pressure on the builders and try be the 1st in but that has disadvantages too .

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LeeC1990

Thanks for your reply, yeah we were told completion would be late May and then there would be two weeks to snag, fix the snags and pay the remaining balance.

The house is coming with flooring throughout the house so we won't have the issue of having to put floors down.

Do you know if builders usually get all houses from the first phase ready at the same time so everyone is moving into their houses around the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Leflem

LeeC1990 we have purchased further along the boundary wall at the end of the development. We were initially told July completion and have since seen the valuation document which states August completion.

Just to clarify, we have purchased in feb just gone (phase 1 relaunch).

I would expect the developers to release the houses in blocks within the phases. Subject to the the surrounding area being safe and liveable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,547 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Planning app in to change various window layouts/sizes on a number of houses here. Would wonder why, so late in the process.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Planning app in to change various window layouts/sizes on a number of houses here. Would wonder why, so late in the process.

They changed the layout of the kitchen/ dining area in some of the 4 beds, think there is a new floor to ceiling window now in place which may explain this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

L1011 wrote: »

Bigger or smaller windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

Has anyone bought a house here using the help to buy grant? We're eligible for the 5% rebate so will only be paying a 5% deposit ourselves thankfully. However I read that some developers are still looking for the full 10% from the buyers and getting the buyers to get the money back from revenue themselves. Really hoping the developer in this case isn't asking for this because we definitely won't have the other 5% and won't be able to get a loan from anyone!

We were told that ours should be ready by the end of the year!

Has anyone bought a house here using the help to buy grant? We're eligible for the 5% rebate so will only be paying a 5% deposit ourselves thankfully. However I read that some developers are still looking for the full 10% from the buyers and getting the buyers to get the money back from revenue themselves. Really hoping the developer in this case isn't asking for this because we definitely won't have the other 5% and won't be able to get a loan from anyone!

We were told that ours should be ready by the end of the year!

We are availing of the HTB scheme too but unsure exactly how it will work here. My understanding is that only 10,000 (in addition to original booking deposit) is required to be paid on contract signing and then this is all until completion date. We were expecting then that our HTB allowance will be used against our final bill on completion (so we will drawdown less mortgage). I would ask your solicitor to check this out with the developer if you have concerns.
    When did you buy your house & when were you told it would be end of year completion?we were expecting end of summer completion having bought in Feb but understand the dates normally slip a bit,but hopefully not by too much!

Pretty sure the rules are clear here. From 2017 on, the builder is paid by Revenue. The reimbursement was only for people who had signed or completed during the stated period from 2016, Jul/Aug or whenever it was to end of Dec. Builder has no right to ask you for that upfront. Are they registered for the scheme? There is a list on the revenue website. Search Help to buy scheme builder list or something to that effect.

If not, they may be pulling a fast one, not registering and leaving you stuck without the 5%. I've nothing to go on to assume that but, builders are builders, and you should always be on guard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement