Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carton Wood - Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭westsider

I think you are all crazy! These houses are boxy, priced at a premium and are beside the halting site! What is this thing about new houses? The second hand houses in much older, settled estates are a better bet! You will not add value to a new house! A few houses have come up in carton Court and sold in a few weeks. I see a detached house in carton Court, which s friend has viewed, for €399k, amazing! Walkin at €100k less than new ones and iit had the extras that you won't get in a new build! 3 carton court am I missing something? Help please!

It really is each to their own on old vs New and I agree with a lot of the points you make on second hand houses. With these particular new builds you get higher energy efficiency, all flooring and appliances included and walking distance of the town. You pay a premium but don't need to worry about rewiring/ replumbing and other maintenance issues you may get with an older build. Again it really is each to their own on this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 69x0qfea7rndmi

Hi yes you have a point, each to their own. Yes great energy ratings, new wiring and plumbing but a premium of €100k is being paid! €50k would go along way upgrading a second hand house. But yes it is a personal preference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 69x0qfea7rndmi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Let it. At D2 it's a fricken icebox and I've been in those houses plenty of times. I guess what you don't get is that someone would have to buy it and put 50k plus cash into it after their deposit. This against simply putting deposit into a new build. Then you have a FTB who gets a tax rebate from the govt for buying new build.

A FTB has to put 20k down for a new build v 40k for that. Everyone has to put 40k into that plus 50k to upgrade it.

Im not against second hand homes but that's the math on it.

Best of luck selling it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭f@steddie

Hi yes you have a point, each to their own. Yes great energy ratings, new wiring and plumbing but a premium of €100k is being paid! €50k would go along way upgrading a second hand house. But yes it is a personal preference!
    Where's the 100k premium? There are 4 bed in Carton Wood on sale for 415k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭you2008

I think you are all crazy! These houses are boxy, priced at a premium and are beside the halting site! What is this thing about new houses? The second hand houses in much older, settled estates are a better bet! You will not add value to a new house! A few houses have come up in carton Court and sold in a few weeks. I see a detached house in carton Court, which s friend has viewed, for €399k, amazing! Walkin at €100k less than new ones and iit had the extras that you won't get in a new build! 3 carton court am I missing something? Help please!

This was on Market more than 6 months, (if I am not wrong), and there is a reason why it was not sold yet, delight to see it sale agreed at this stage, but sale agreed mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

you2008 wrote: »
    This was on Market more than 6 months, (if I am not wrong), and there is a reason why it was not sold yet, delight to see it sale agreed at this stage, but sale agreed mean ?

I viewed that place back in about September if I remember rightly. It was ok decent size, the bedrooms were a bit of an odd shape from what I can recall.

At that time the asking was €380-385k I think and they had €375k on it (supposedly). Supposedly going sale agreed soon then too I think.. The estate wasn't that appealing, a lot of poorly kept houses in it it seemed.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PDiddy87

Just received a email from Savills. New phase launching this weekend and all house types are included.

Looks like they dropped the 5 bed 2,000sqft back to original 505k from 525k. 500k would widen the net to include FTBuyer with tax.

Not sure what the size difference is to Moyglare Hall detached which traded at 440k last Summer.(it's approx 1,850sqft. These were going for 650k in 2006 -madness)

ixus wrote: »
    Looks like they dropped the 5 bed 2,000sqft back to original 505k from 525k. 500k would widen the net to include FTBuyer with tax.

Not too many FTBuyers with 505K to burn I hope!

• Advertisement

PDiddy87 wrote: »
    ixus wrote: »

Not too many FTBuyers with 505K to burn I hope!

500k for a FTB is 30k savings plus 20k tax rebate. 30yr mortgage is 1950 pm at 3.2% with UB. It's steep but that's going rate for renting a decent detached at the moment. At 3.5 earnings, it's a combined salary of approx 130k.

The CB move to 10% deposit and the govt rebate has really stoked things. Twelve months ago, you had to have 100k for that price (unless bank made exception). Now, it's 30k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pappsmah81

I live round the corner went to see the first phase last year and found the 3 bed detached to be very pokey. But 4/5 bed are fab. Last night from around 7pm there was 8/9 cars parked outside with people queing for the second phase launch today

Madness. Media induced hype.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

What are all the panels on the roof for? Purely for heating water, or have they pv systems installed?

beertons wrote: »
    What are all the panels on the roof for? Purely for heating water, or have they pv systems installed?

They supply electricity to the whole house rather then just providing hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 321S

pappsmah81 wrote: »
    I live round the corner went to see the first phase last year and found the 3 bed detached to be very pokey. But 4/5 bed are fab. Last night from around 7pm there was 8/9 cars parked outside with people queing for the second phase launch today

I think they were still launching the first phase yesterday I don't think the second phase has been launched yet.

Hi, anyone that bought in first phase in November were they strict on returning contracts within the 21 days. We bought in Feb phase & our solicitor has the contracts but feels he needs an extension on timeframe- just wondering has this happened to anyone else & were kitchen appliances etc still included in sale. Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40 NM123

Hi Westsider, We also bought in Feb phase and could also be tight on the the 21days turnaround too. Do you mind me asking does your solicitor feel there are issues with the contracts themselves and they are not happy for you to sign yet or is it more of a physical time constraint the solicitor is facing?

We purchased in November. Although we got the contracts back within 21 days of issue we signed on day 20 and we weren't put under any pressure as the date got closer from builder or their solicitor.

NM123 wrote: »
    Hi Westsider, We also bought in Feb phase and could also be tight on the the 21days turnaround too. Do you mind me asking does your solicitor feel there are issues with the contracts themselves and they are not happy for you to sign yet or is it more of a physical time constraint the solicitor is facing?
    No there are no specific issues he has highlighted to date I think he just feels he may need more time. He has asked for an extension to the time period, we however would be keen to sign in the timeframe so long as there are no major concerns highlighted.

• Advertisement

PDiddy87 wrote: »
    We purchased in November. Although we got the contracts back within 21 days of issue we signed on day 20 and we weren't put under any pressure as the date got closer from builder or their solicitor.

Hi, have you received an expected completion date yet - just wondering is it still planned for around April timeframe?

Solicitor has just contacted us to say conveyancing is more complicated as it's a NAMA sale and also as the title is not registered- he is looking for additional fees for this. I just wonder has anyone else who has bought been told this by their solicitor?

Your solicitor is likely doing a thorough job.

Completion date is mid/late April.

Westsider, we had the same thing with our solicitor. There was a title registration fee. However this reduced a different fee that we had planned for. So it actually works out a bit cheaper then planned.

westsider wrote: »
    Solicitor has just contacted us to say conveyancing is more complicated as it's a NAMA sale and also as the title is not registered- he is looking for additional fees for this. I just wonder has anyone else who has bought been told this by their solicitor?

This has not come up with us (yet!)... Have you had any indication yet about the consequences of not returning your signed contracts within the 21days? We are still waiting for an answer from Solicitor on this

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dcresham

Has the developer finally signed up for the help to buy scheme yet?

NM123 wrote: »
    This has not come up with us (yet!)... Have you had any indication yet about the consequences of not returning your signed contracts within the 21days? We are still waiting for an answer from Solicitor on this

No indication as yet as our solicitor has yet to hear back from vendors solicitor on this request for extension. I have contacted estate agent on request from our solicitor to try and speed up a response from them.

westsider wrote: »
    No indication as yet as our solicitor has yet to hear back from vendors solicitor on this request for extension. I have contacted estate agent on request from our solicitor to try and speed up a response from them.

Thanks, we are in similar situation & waiting for their feedback too

dcresham wrote: »
    Has the developer finally signed up for the help to buy scheme yet?

Yes that are registered for scheme under Briargate developments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 LeeC1990

Hi all,

We bought a three bed terraced house in the first phase and we have now been told the house won't be completed until late May! In the meantime we've sold our place and are trying to delay the sale on that end, but it's hard when we keep been told different completion dates. Has anyone else who bought in the first phase been told the completion date has been delayed and won't be until late May?!

Advertisement