Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bus workers threaten strike

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

Have to say Dublin Bus management have made a right balls up over this, I don't know too many people who would fancy being required ( i know they are being paid for it) to do an extra 90 mins on top of their daily shift.

Will IE be on strike within a day or two in 'sympathy' with their DB colleagues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

part of the problem is this. drivers who start early drive their cars into the garage to pick up a bus, with the new introduction of the new services any driver finishing in town will have to travel 11km or there abouts to pick up his car and drive home and probably wont get paid for going back to the garage.
    so now this driver has to make 2 journeys.
    lay mans terms.
    driver travels in from say bray to start at 6am. has to use his own car as theres no buses.
    finishes in town at say 3pm
    has to make own way out to back of airport to collect car.
    then probably has to drive back through town to get back to bray as M50 would be car park.
    up until today all routes in harristown probably with the exception of the 237/38/39/70 all had their breaks in the staff canteen in harristown garage.
    AT PRESENT THERE ARE NO ROUTES FROM HARRISTOWN GARAGE THAT BREAK OR FINISH IN THE CITY CENTRE.
    this garage has been up an running a number of years now. i did the caps the let you know what your not being told

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

spareman wrote: »
    From what I know Harristown members will send union members to all Dublin Bus properties tomorrow morning, so disregard the Dublin bus statement and make alternative arrangements. I cant see any routes operating tomorrow unless this is resolved tonight.

Now why would they want to do such a thing, why can't they simply stick to picketing Harristown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

so as it stands we all have no way into or back from work tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Heart

AT PRESENT THERE ARE NO ROUTES FROM HARRISTOWN GARAGE THAT BREAK OR FINISH IN THE CITY CENTRE.

What about the 40/A/B/C/D do they not break in the city centre?

H

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

MiniD - Yes that is a difficult one I totally see where you are coming from, but the big fear is if they accept this they will do the same for all the routes which will lead to a reduction in punctuality and reliability and nobody wants to see that. However breaking starting and finishing the 4/4A in the City Centre when it's terminus is Harristown IS stupid.

markf909 - Exactly, the thing that these people saying wow, so they have to travel to work like me and you don't understand is these drivers can't even start going home as they have to head back to the garage before they go home after their shif thas finished.

meanmachine3 - You are a sensible guy from the sound of things and you speak a lot of sense about what is going on. I don't see why they should mess with things at Harristown, the garage is performing very well, why would they want to start changing that?

jimmycrackcorm - Because the fact is that Dublin Bus workers stand up for each other. It's called support.

Shamanic wrote: »
    so as it stands we all have no way into or back from work tomorrow?
    A driver on the 13 advised anyone near the airport to get a taxi there and to get an aircoach to South Dublin if you need to get to the southside. If you need to get to Castleknock and are in the Swords area you also have urbus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

Here is the Labour Court Recommendation [ link might not work ], if not go to their website and have a search

http://www.labourcourt.ie/labour/labcourtweb.nsf/185190278967d05380256a01005bb35e/80256a770034a2ab802573780032407f?OpenDocument

as far as i'm aware the 40's dont break in town.i'm 99% sure of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

with the new introduction of the new services any driver finishing in town will have to travel 11km or there abouts to pick up his car and drive home and probably wont get paid for going back to the garage.

As stated already in this thread, the driver does get paid for traveling back to the depot, and this 45 minutes is built into their daily duty. The only difference here is that the driver will not be driving an empty bus back to he depot, and will instead travel on another bus to take them there. The journey time on Dublin Bus timetables to Harristown is 35 minutes from the City Centre.

Unfortunately with operating a bus service, there needs to be flexibility. While it may have been the case for years that no Harristown driver duty started/ended in the city centre, it needs to be accepted that operating some routes, such as the 128, will operate more efficiently by drivers breaking or finishing at different locations. Harristown seems to be unique in that many of it's routes either terminate or break at the depot. Most other Dublin Bus drivers don't have that luxury, but accept that it's part of their job to operate certain routes or buses from various locations. It is worth mentioning, there are full subsidised canteen facilities for Dublin Bus drivers just off O'Connell Street.

If every driver on the 128 was to drive back to Harristown to start, break or end their shift, the timetable would be a mess and the current 10 minute frequency would not be possible.

• Advertisement

From what I have heard at the moment is the travel time is worked into all Harristown routes. After the changes It will not be though, they will finish at their finish time and only earlier if their last timetabled services ends before then. DB are now trying to schedule buses so their last service reaches it's terminus at their exact finish time with now bedding period to travel back to the depot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

how long is the strike for? One day two days? And is it going ahead?

yes there is a canteen but what you may not be aware of is that some of the scum we deal with as drivers use that same canteen.i haven't seen the schedule for any of the new routes so therefore cannot comment of how much travelling time is given if there is any.
    harristown was built to get the buses out of the city ,ALL routes possibly with the exception of the ones i already mentioned that went up there had their schedules CHANGED so that the drivers could start/break and finish in the garage.
    the journey time on a particular route in dublin (not mentioning the route)is given as 80/85 mins in reality it can take upto 150 mins for the same journey and the same route.running times on most dublin bus route are way out dated and way of the real times.

yes there is a canteen but what you may not be aware of is that some of the scum we deal with as drivers use that same canteen.

Isn't this a Dublin Bus canteen, behind Clerys, for Dublin Bus drivers?
    harristown was built to get the buses out of the city ,ALL routes possibly with the exception of the ones i already mentioned that went up there had their schedules CHANGED so that the drivers could start/break and finish in the garage.

Harristown was build to house the extra buses in the Dublin Bus fleet, a lot of which are Euro duties. This new 128 route, which from what I gather is what this dispute is all about, is a brand new route, so these schedules are starting from scratch. It's different from the other routes in the depot, whereby it's an all day cross-city route, which doesn't pass the garage, so the option for drivers to change at the garage simply isn't there.
    With this in mind, how do you suggest drivers should end or start their shifts, keeping the buses running to the timetable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 artcrit

As a commuter on the 27b route I will be put out tomorrow. However I can understand where the drivers are coming from. If a driver finishes work in town spends time making his way to Eden Quay waits at least 10 minutes on the 27b going back to Harristown with a running time of anything up to 1 hour and 10 minutes all going well , and gets paid for 45 minutes, it does not add up. A worker would need to be dense to accept that deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

I must say I am on the drivers side in this dispute. They are undoubtedly being sold a pup by management and are right not to accept it.

However two things I don't agree with.
    1) Going out on strike and giving thousands of commuters a torrid time will not win any friends. Why not just refuse to take fares for the first few days and see how that goes?

2) Placing pickets on the other garages and therefore depriving Dublin of any kind of bus services. They should keep it local at first then if needs be (after a few days) place a picket on other garages but again maybe just instruct the drivers not to take fares.

For a change I support the unions on this but why must they alienate themselves from the general public by going on all out strike?

No doubt the privately operated Luas and private bus services will continue to operate thus giving weight to the argument that Dublin Bus services should be privatised. The unions should tread carefully on this, they have a lot to lose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

What times do the drivers shifts normally end? I'm presuming they won't be ending in the middle of rush hour traffic.

Is the current system that a driver finishes up and then drives back to the depot?
    The new system is that the driver finishes up and gets a bus back to the depot? Are they not pretty much the same thing? Without wasting a bus.
    For the 46 minutes each way do they come out of their 8 hour day or are they on top of it? So = 9hours 32 mins.

For the 46 minutes each way do they come out of their 8 hour day or are they on top of it? So = 9hours 32 mins.
    They are on top of it if the new proposals go ahead. Currently they are included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

the journey time on a particular route in dublin (not mentioning the route)is given as 80/85 mins in reality it can take upto 150 mins for the same journey and the same route.running times on most dublin bus route are way out dated and way of the real times.
    The people of Dublin are putting up with that for years, maybe if the DB employees had to put up with it for while something might be done about it.

thats the same canteen, i've seen the local whineo's eating in there amongst others. alot of routes were moved out of their garages due to health and safety reasons i.e. buses were parked to close together. there now has to be so much space between each bus( supposedly). routes that dont pass the garage but start/ break and finish i harristown include 17A and the 102 amongst others.
    to be honest this is getting a bit tedious. i'm a bus driver on one of the busiest routes in the city .i know more about the workings, ins and outs of dublin bus than most people. unless your an employee of dublin bus then i'll have have an answer to almost everything that is posted.
    to cut a long story short and to be quite blunt if the strike goes ahead aint nothing can be done. if it's called of count your lucky stars you can get a bus tomorrow.

it doesn't matter who goes on strike these days, be it nurses,taxi men, bin men etc. the public will always complain.
    the average working week in this country is actually 39 hours. so thats an extra 12 mintues at least on top of what you've already said.
    some shifts finish early while others finish between 4-6pm ,so yes alot of shifts do finish during rush hour.

i as a bus driver am sick to death of asking for a new schedule for the route i'm on and all i get is some cock and bull excuse.

• Advertisement

Am I right in saying, if the 128 was due to be operated by any other bus garage, then we wouldn't be facing a bus strike tomorrow?

Every other bus garage have routes which start, break and end in the city centre and those drivers have no problem. Perhaps a suggestion would be to transfer route 128 to another garage and operate it from there without any problem.

in normal circumstances this would be a great idea but all the garages are full up. harristown is only at half capacity. in order to move the 128 to another garage you would have to move another large route out of there. again harristown is unique in everyway. it's routes,facilities and so on.
    other garages should not be affected by this action unless drivers from harristown are suspended.
    all this is now in the court of dublin bus senior management.
    if the action does escalate senior management are solely to blame.

final thought for tonight.
    once we as bus drivers are out of uniform we are exactly the same as every other commuter. we rely on buses to get us from A to B as well. we also have family and friends who also rely heavily on public transport so we are just as put out by the strike as every other commuter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

You may be asked this tomorrow, so I'll ask it now.

Given that the Labour Court has sided with the company in this case [ see my earlier post for the recommendation ], why did you not accept the LCR recommendation ?

i.e the one that said "try it for 6 months and if it's causing hassle we'll look at it again"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

we are just as put out by the strike as every other commuter.
    No you are not because you are not trying to get to work during the strike.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

final thought for tonight.
    once we as bus drivers are out of uniform we are exactly the same as every other commuter. we rely on buses to get us from A to B as well. we also have family and friends who also rely heavily on public transport so we are just as put out by the strike as every other commuter.

But then the bus drivers won't be commuting. As a private sector employee I realise that sometimes working conditions have to change to suit and while I might not like it I either accept it or move to another job. The sooner that privatisation is introduced, the better the service we'll all get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭armada104

What's the situation at other bus depots? Is the trip back to the depot included in an 8-hour shift or is it on top of the 8 hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Drongo

The sooner that privatisation is introduced, the better the service we'll all get.

Tell that to train commuters in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Excuse my ignorance, but why are the 37/38/39/70 (and other buses that are nothing to do with Harristown) affected by this? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

Hagar wrote: »
    The people of Dublin are putting up with that for years, maybe if the DB employees had to put up with it for while something might be done about it.
    What are you talking about? Or do you even know?
    Who drives the bus? DB employee's, We have to put up with these ridiculas journey times for 8/12 hours a day 5 days a week, We are the miricle worker's who are supposed to stick to these journey time's, Why do you think so many buses leave late or simply dont arrive, can you feel the pressure yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

andrew163 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but why are the 37/38/39/70 (and other buses that are nothing to do with Harristown) affected by this? :confused:
    I think some of the Euro duties, peak time buses are operated by harristown.

Advertisement