Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Also FYI, Ireland is ****e, come back to Canada with me. We can all rent a gaff and have an amazing time. I won’t even get mad if you have a big game collection.

I'll just let Mrs Ciderman know and I'll pack a bag... What time will I meet you there... Have to rent a separate apartment for the game collection.
    Also, there better be lots of straight women over there whose only expectation of a man is an Irish accent....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

I have a feeling that post will be edited tomorrow!

No fun being denied entry though.......... to clubs / pubs that is! ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So I just tried to get into the George but the hardcore lesbian bouncer denied me. Like excuse me ma’am but who are you to deny me the D?! Just because It’s not your bag doesn’t mean you have to be salty to the male homos.

This has been a drunk Atavan post. Stay sexy y’all. Xoxo.

Post of 2019 perhaps, already??? I think so people.

So... A hardcore lesbian bouncer... I think I saw that one on redtube....

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Saw this on HotUKDeals - A free PDF eBook on the History of Ocean Software.

Any C64/Spectrum/Amstrad kids here will know who they are. :)

HUKD link: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/the-history-of-ocean-software-free-retro-pdf-download-3162450
    Direct link to PDF (369 MB) - https://www.hotukdeals.com/visit/comment/36809474/16046643

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Cracking doc to get you in the Oceanic mood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,909 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Mr E wrote: »
    Saw this on HotUKDeals - A free PDF eBook on the History of Ocean Software.

Any C64/Spectrum/Amstrad kids here will know who they are. :)

Have the physical copy of this, and the US Gold one, both are a good read. A Gremlin in the Works by Bitmap Books is good bit better though. That's a great read.

Three software houses that were part and parcel of my youth!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

Let's say I were to start collecting for Gameboy today (that is both the console and the games). How would I go about that? That is to say, what would be the best approach to take without subsequently feeling ripped-off?

Is EBay a good route? Some of the refurbished models look pretty good. I mean, in a choice between a mint unit (costing hundreds), a faded and/or scratched thing, and a refurb, the refurb (assuming it's a decent job) would offer the best aesthetics & feel / cost ratio, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

'refurb' can vary wildly between sellers. For some, it would mean replacing the capacitors, screen cover and button gel inserts.

For others it might just mean wiping with a cloth and replacing the screen cover.

If I were you I'd find a decent looking one on ebay and start snipe auctions on games.

o1s1n wrote: »
    'refurb' can vary wildly between sellers. For some, it would mean replacing the capacitors, screen cover and button gel inserts.

For others it might just mean wiping with a cloth and replacing the screen cover.

If I were you I'd find a decent looking one on ebay and start snipe auctions on games.

The details of the listing usually divulges a bit more on what the seller means by a refurb. Most that I've looked at mention a new housing, a general cleaning of the innards, a new screen lens and replacement of the button membranes. They claim this gives a console that looks and plays like new.

What I'm not sure of is what price for this constitutes a bargain. For example, I've seen a nice looking glass screen DMG-01 styled refurb of a GB Pocket that comes boxed and Tetris included for 60 or 70 Euro (depending - it's a buy now/best offer listing). I like the look of that one, but there are cheaper offers without an included game or box with a more generic-looking transparent housing, and replacement buttons.

I'd be suspicious of some crappy replacement case or even just the d-pad and buttons being substandard, it'd be enough to ruin the handheld

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'd be suspicious of some crappy replacement case or even just the d-pad and buttons being substandard, it'd be enough to ruin the handheld

That basically rules out the entire practice of buying a refurb, unless you can try it out first (if you're stringent about quality, that is.)

briany wrote: »
    That basically rules out the entire practice of buying a refurb, unless you can try it out first (if you're stringent about quality, that is.)

Well, yes.
    I'd nearly find one at a market and replace the bits and bobs yourself with well reviewed components.

Master of the Universe

briany wrote: »

To me anyway a refurb would simply replace perishable parts, so gel under buttons, screen cover and internal components that have a lifespan such as capacitors and batteries.

replacing the case/lcd screen or anything along those lines fits more into the console modding category IMO, which is a different thing.

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, yes.
    I'd nearly find one at a market and replace the bits and bobs yourself with well reviewed components.

That's what I'd usually do alright. As long as you can get a good condition base model, parts are easily replaced.

I got something right.... just let me make a note in my diary... a momentous day indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

anyone heading to the Amiga Ireland meetup in athlone this weekend ? I'll be going Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

BGOllie wrote: »
    anyone heading to the Amiga Ireland meetup in athlone this weekend ? I'll be going Saturday

Ya I'll be there as well, had really hoped to chat with RJ but unfortunately he's had to pull out :(

Should I bring an Atari ST just to troll them ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Would love to know how it goes.
    I've Akumakon this weekend, not that I'd know much about the Amiga to go

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I'm there on the Saturday as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Might have been posted before at some stage.
    R Murray
    Published on Jul 14, 2010
    Here is my take on one of the themes from the popular computer game, Tetris, played on the organ of St. Joseph's church, Glasthule, Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Since we're on the topic of music there's a quite talented Dublin based chiptune and dance music producer and performer called Ansonix whos making a name for himself on social media lately.

Great to see talent like him and Banjo Guy Ollie in the Emerald isle:

His complete tracks on youtube also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I'd be well into that now!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Doge wrote: »
    Since we're on the topic of music there's a quite talented Dublin based chiptune and dance music producer and performer called Ansonix whos making a name for himself on social media lately.

Great to see talent like him and Banjo Guy Ollie in the Emerald isle:

His complete tracks on youtube also.

saw him play live back in december , was great and he's a nice guy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There is a documentary about Jeff Minter coming out this year called Heart of Neon.
    I can't find the trailer on YouTube, but it's up on Vimeo.

https://vimeo.com/310850660

Mr E wrote: »
    There is a documentary about Jeff Minter coming out this year called Heart of Neon.
    I can't find the trailer on YouTube, but it's up on Vimeo.

https://vimeo.com/310850660

I wish the Minotaur Project would hurry up and be released on the PS4!

And no PSVR mode on Tempest 4k is a crime, tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

On the subject of Jeff Minter, recently played Polybius in VR and it’s legitimately the closest I’ve ever felt to having a seizure. I think that was the intention, so A+.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

https://store.bandainamcoent.eu/eu/product/526637/dark-souls-trilogy-collector-s-edition-ps4

Dark Souls trilogy collectors edition

Seriously pricey!

I would really like to get the book. **** statues

Master of the Universe

500 hundred dollars? they can go and sh1te!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Loved this, it's about N64 video tapes

Advertisement