Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Big fire at the warehouse in Hong Kong where Bitmap Books Master System Compendium has been printed. Best case scenario the books are fine but police have held stock while investigating. Should now arrive in March. Worst case scenario the books need to be reprinted and arrive in April/May :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

...so my gallbladder decided to basically explode a few days ago , so been in hospital since..Well enough now to finally spend time replaying Castlevania SOTN on the PSP ..so at least some goods come of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

Dr Bob wrote: »
    ...so my gallbladder decided to basically explode a few days ago , so been in hospital since..Well enough now to finally spend time replaying Castlevania SOTN on the PSP ..so at least some goods come of it!

Get well soon Bob

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hope you are okay... and play SOTN with the luck code, it's great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Ow, that sounds painful. I hope you'll be alright, feel better soon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mind yourself mate, nothing in the human body, nothing, makes pain like a gallbladder in distress.
    Happily, we can get along just fine without them, and together with keyhole surgery, it is the normal way they are dealt with, just whipping them out.
    I think it's just a matter then of watching your fat intake, as gall is involved in the processing of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I already had to deal with a kidney stone last week. I couldn't imagine what I would have to suffer through with a burst gall bladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Guessing it was an open cholecystectomy and T tube drainage was required if it had gone that pear shaped. Sorry for your pain, and the fun (or lack of) of being in hospital. When you get out, no heavy lifting for at least 6 weeks. (no more than an original Xbox is good rule of thumb!)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

cheers guys .!
    nah I hopefully should be out in a day or two!

Guessing it was an open cholecystectomy and T tube drainage was required if it had gone that pear shaped. Sorry for your pain, and the fun (or lack of) of being in hospital. When you get out, no heavy lifting for at least 6 weeks. (no more than an original Xbox is good rule of thumb!)

cheers ! it took a while for them to find the problem but basically they found biliary sludge in the gallbladder which led to cholecystitis which led to crazy chestpains and infections.
    having to wait a few weeks and then come in to get the gall bladder whipped out.So all good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Get well soon buddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

Get well soon. Relieved to hear you're out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,456 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You poor lad! Hope you're doing okay. I didn't know gallbladders could do that:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The ducts are quite narrow and it doesn't take much for them to go into spasm.
    My mam had it happen and it was shocking, she went as white as parchment and I had to bring her to A&E for treatment but, because it isn't a life-threatening emergency, she was left for ages before being seen :(
    Our pathology lecturer, way back when, said it was the most severe pain the body could experience, bar none.

So, Dr Bob, mind yourself and get well soon.
    Wii-Fit sessions can wait until you are better!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Had it happen to a good friend of mine as well and she was in absolute agony with it. Worst pain she ever felt she said. Don't think she ever stood on lego though.

She at least knew to go straight to a private hospital so she wouldn't be waiting around in absolute agony for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

Behold the Arcade Cabinet of trout ...

image.png

Behold what will become the Innards of the Arcade Cabinet of trout ...

image.png

My buttons arrived yesterday, so I've got everything I need, and it all works nicely when set up on the bench.

The only thing I'm not happy with is the monitor ... it's an older LCD. Ideally I'd like to get a 15' CRT, but they seem to be scarce as hobby horse droppings.

Not pictured is the Secret Weapon of the Arcade Cabinet of trout ... a 2.1 stereo sound box which I will try to fit into the upper part of the cabinet, it's got a subwoofer, which I think will really make the sound epic.

A weekend of sanding, stripping, cleaning, routing cables and testing awaits. I think Tekken 3 first, maybe followed by Soul Edge. Can't wait :)

Watch this space :)

trout wrote: »

The only thing I'm not happy with is the monitor ... it's an older LCD. Ideally I'd like to get a 15' CRT, but they seem to be scarce as hobby horse droppings.
    )

https://www.adverts.ie/tv/15inch-portable-tv/16856383

Of course, it's an Alba TV so probably lousy!

What about a de-cased 17" CRT PC monitor?
    Still a few of those about, maybe to be found at your local recycling centre?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    https://www.adverts.ie/tv/15inch-portable-tv/16856383

Of course, it's an Alba TV so probably lousy!

What about a de-cased 17" CRT PC monitor?
    Still a few of those about, maybe to be found at your local recycling centre?

I'd love to get a 17' CRT in there ... but I have no idea how to go about mounting it, or what kind of chassis / harness is required.

I think I'll stick with the LCD for the minute, as it has a stand, and is tilt/swivel ... so it can be adjusted.

I'll have to research mounting a CRT properly ... I guess that would require a bit more "finesse" than I have right now :)

Master of the Universe

Can't see your photos for some reason :(

Dependant on the CRT you use, it could be as simple as decasing it and then just attaching it on each corner with the mounting that was attaching it to the case.

Something like this

nNKwD.jpg

Yeah the photos aren't showing for me either. Can you reupload them so we can see the goodness?

• Advertisement

Sorry about the photos ... I guess where I was hosting them isn't suitable for some reason.

I've uploaded them to a boards album ... hope they display properly now.

picture.php?albumid=634&pictureid=15480

picture.php?albumid=634&pictureid=15479

LCD monitor...

^^

I'd love a CRT, but I'm limited by budget (I'm poor) and the size of the cabinet ... I think a 14 inch or 15 inch CRT might fit.

The only CRT I have is a CGA monitor from the 90's ... no cables, no nothin' ... and I'm nervous about taking it from the case and trying to wedge it into the cabinet.

I'm keeping an eye on adverts and other likely sources ... but they're scarce.

LCD monitor...

Do you even have an arcade cabinet yourself to compare or look down on his? :pac:

Doge wrote: »
    Do you even have an arcade cabinet yourself to compare or look down on his? :pac:

Do you even CRT?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Do you even CRT?

You forgot the Bro, but you still made me laugh stupidly! :D

Doge wrote: »
    Just because I don't build bridges doesn't mean I can't criticise how shoddy someone built a bridge.

rstCAug.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

Just because I don't build bridges doesn't mean I can't criticise how shoddy someone built a bridge.

rstCAug.gif

But you don't actually have a bridge?

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    But you don't actually have a bridge?

He clearly does :pac:

0e8d28ef49bb4f3a280fb5cdbffc8563.jpg

• Advertisement

The Wii shop is closing today. Kind of another testament to how little videogame companies care about their own properties. Once it's gone there will be no way to get some classic wiiware games like the Konami rebirth series. Thankfully there's piracy to fall back on.

Advertisement