Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Doge wrote: »

Homeworld! Awesome game. Just found out they remastered it, must look about getting that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    Fairly sure those ones have too much depth and th shell won't close.

Here are the ones you stuck in m carts, they're small sockets and half the battery sticks out;

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F111694201631

Cheers man - I could have sworn I fit ones for someone before whereby the holder had prongs which fit right into the pcb battery holes. The ones you linked above, will/would need a wiring addition to connect to the pcb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I saw these earlier today, it's an abandoned arcade in Fukushima. I think there's also a short video of him exploring the place.

10351322-6751071-image-a-31_1551264236983.jpg10351328-6751071-image-a-17_1551264165110.jpg
    10351320-6751071-image-a-16_1551264158422.jpg
    10351314-6751071-image-a-36_1551264255733.jpg
    10351330-6751071-image-a-19_1551264175474.jpg
    10351318-6751071-image-a-30_1551264231997.jpg
    10351326-6751071-image-a-33_1551264250650.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I'll get the lead vests and we go get those blast city's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Skip to 4:30, some collection in there, loads of vewlix machines, house of the dead, row of drivers. also see the car yard too, full of Skylines, Chasers, 180s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,258 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    Cheers man - I could have sworn I fit ones for someone before whereby the holder had prongs which fit right into the pcb battery holes. The ones you linked above, will/would need a wiring addition to connect to the pcb.

You might be able to get ones that are shallower or maybe to cut down the ones you linked?

I actually had one of the carts you did for me open recently to change a battery and you'd soldered them in via wire alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭Doge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭Inviere

Some decent content here:

From the same guy, one for the SF2 heads that might remember this old legend...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Anyone else following the GBA backlit screen mod?

51042655_2046435955469847_3396819660799213568_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=a3faeee4c0c4342108dac5968e497977&oe=5D13963551222129_2046436055469837_7424199365998149632_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=308bd3fd153e404856d4b120d42a1236&oe=5CE2F625
    BennVenn wrote:
    The new drop in back-lit GBC solution! What do you think?

The image size is comparable to the existing image size on the ags101 LCD. This was the best LCD choice after considering aspect ratio which to me is more important than filling the viewing window.

There are larger LCDs which would require shell modding and non linear scaling. This would give an image similar to the GB boy Color. Not ideal.

Offers 4x linear up-scaling, zero conversion lag, frame locked 59.9hz to the GBCs original video. No interlacing artifacts. A color palette similar to the AGS 101 LCD.

The refresh rate of this LCD is 12x higher than the ags101 so blur is completely eliminated.

Tested from GBC v01-v06. Approximately 1/3 the current consumption thanks to a smaller LCD and a super efficient low power FPGA designed for mobile devices.

So here it is! I'll be opening pre orders soon, just thought I'd get your opinion of the size, design etc to gauge the numbers for the first batch.

Price for the PCB and LCD will be comparable to the current ags101 LCD price. No soldering, almost zero shell modding.

A proto will be shipped to KyleAWSM on YouTube shortly for a full reveal and review.
    I'm also told that there will be prototyping on a Neo Geo Pocket Colour solution, so keep an eye out for that one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That looks amazing!
    I'd be definitely interested.
    The NeoGeo Pocket Color mod as well.
    I think, in both cases, is like to have an original version still in the collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That looks amazing!
    I'd be definitely interested.
    The NeoGeo Pocket Color mod as well.
    I think, in both cases, is like to have an original version still in the collection.

Ya while these mods are pretty great, it important to remember how these consoles actually were originally so definitely worth having an unmolested version on hand as well if possible.

Master of the Universe

Picture quality looks great, however the way it doesn't fill out the bezel properly would drive me mental.

Picture quality looks great, however the way it doesn't fill out the bezel properly would drive me mental.

Aren't those black bars in the screen,.in both screens?
    Looks like it's the same size to me?

Master of the Universe

I mean the actual screen itself (not what's on the screen) If you look at the first picture it's not flush with the bezel - you can see the sides of it.

I mean the actual screen itself (not what's on the screen) If you look at the first picture it's not flush with the bezel - you can see the sides of it.

For some reason I thought the first pic was the original screen compared to the new screen. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just noticed this on the Hyperkin site.
    The RetroN 77, which is their dedicated Atari 2600 clone.
    I don't know how good it is, or what advantage it might present over the original, which can already be modded with an easy AV doodad.
    Here's the link
    https://hyperkinlab.com/retron-77-hd-gaming-console-for-2600-hyperkin/

Master of the Universe

I just noticed this on the Hyperkin site.
    The RetroN 77, which is their dedicated Atari 2600 clone.
    I don't know how good it is, or what advantage it might present over the original, which can already be modded with an easy AV doodad.
    Here's the link
    https://hyperkinlab.com/retron-77-hd-gaming-console-for-2600-hyperkin/

'Upscales to 720p HD with 4:3/16:9 Aspect Ratio Button'

I usually don't have any interest in these clones, but kind of want to see what upscaled Yar's Revenge looks like running at 720p :D

• Advertisement

'Upscales to 720p HD with 4:3/16:9 Aspect Ratio Button'

I usually don't have any interest in these clones, but kind of want to see what upscaled Yar's Revenge looks like running at 720p :D

I'd say Stargate: Defender II would look amazing tbh, but I would imagine an AV modded 2600 would be much the same, tbh.

If anyone is buying PCB feet standoffs for arcade boards / motherboards stay well away from TCP-Sales on eBay.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F311956188481

They're the cheapest UK seller but 3 weeks after I purchased they still hadn't shipped, no answer to my messages and then all of a sudden an eBay case was opened by the seller who wanted to cancel the transaction due to the reason "out of stock".

I wasnt even refunded at this stage and it did warn me not to accept if I hadn't been refunded so I declined.

What a sneaky c*nt trying to get the transaction cancelled without refunding me.

I've since opened up a PayPal case.

Master of the Universe

I'd say Stargate: Defender II would look amazing tbh, but I would imagine an AV modded 2600 would be much the same, tbh.

I suppose it depends what you're playing it on - us CRT master race (!) people can get away with composite to a degree. Have you seen a 2600 stretched out on a 32 inch TV via composite - eye bleeding goodness :pac:
    If anyone is buying PCB feet standoffs for arcade boards / motherboards stay well away from TCP-Sales on eBay.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F311956188481

They're the cheapest UK seller but 3 weeks after I purchased they still hadn't shipped, no answer to my messages and then all of a sudden an eBay case was opened by the seller who wanted to cancel the transaction due to the reason "out of stock".

I wasnt even refunded at this stage and it did warn me not to accept if I hadn't been refunded so I declined.

What a sneaky c*nt trying to get the transaction cancelled without refunding me.

I'd say he thought you might not care given the low value of the item. Thing is, do that to 50 people and you'll have quite a nice tidy little sum. I'd be chasing that up to the very end via paypal too just to prove a point.

I'd say he thought you might not care given the low value of the item. Thing is, do that to 50 people and you'll have quite a nice tidy little sum. I'd be chasing that up to the very end via paypal too just to prove a point.

It was only £4.80 but there's no way I'm letting him get away with that! :pac:

Is it just 4 you're after?
    PM me your address and I'll send you some FOC

Is it just 4 you're after?
    PM me your address and I'll send you some FOC

Thanks for the offer Cathal. I actually ordered more from Arcade WorldUK in the mean time so I should be sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Check out this minty Wii bundle over on adverts for 80 notes.

http://www.adverts.ie/17474210

Should be in the Dreamer of the Year thread!

Master of the Universe

I was leaving my apartment complex this morning, pressed the gate release and walked on.

'...that gate release felt like an arcade button?'

Turned around and walked back as a matter of interest. To my amusement I saw a green Japanese arcade button where the old broken switch used to be.

Then remembered a couple of weeks ago, I'd cleaned out my toolbox and left a bag of old arcade buttons down beside the bins :D

Looks like he found it in a bin

I was leaving my apartment complex this morning, pressed the gate release and walked on.

'...that gate release felt like an arcade button?'

Turned around and walked back as a matter of interest. To my amusement I saw a green Japanese arcade button where the old broken switch used to be.

Then remembered a couple of weeks ago, I'd cleaned out my toolbox and left a bag of old arcade buttons down beside the bins :D

You'll be finding a Sanwa stick with a two-way gate on the lift next!

• Advertisement

https://gamerant.com/sega-new-console-google-2019/

Sega rumors about a new console

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Well rumors of Google producing a new console and partnering with Sega as a game developer to produce content.

So, no we don't need a Sega forum :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Wouldn't be surprised at all. Call me cynical, but this would be another American technology giant looking to capitalise on sega's name, only to use them as a trojan horse to try dominate videogames and put profit ahead of everything.

All companies are after profit, but none do it as scorched earth like Americans. Microsoft did it with Sega, and now Google might try.

They can all stuff their drm, streaming, no-ownership bs back up their arses where it came from.

Master of the Universe

Well rumors of Google producing a new console and partnering with Sega as a game developer to produce content.

So, no we don't need a Sega forum :)

:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

beejee wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised at all. Call me cynical, but this would be another American technology giant looking to capitalise on sega's name, only to use them as a trojan horse to try dominate videogames and put profit ahead of everything.

All companies are after profit, but none do it as scorched earth like Americans. Microsoft did it with Sega, and now Google might try.

They can all stuff their drm, streaming, no-ownership bs back up their arses where it came from.

Sega own Atlus….

****, another console I need to buy.

:(

Don't just accept defeat,
    March on Boards.ie offices?
    T-shirt campaign
    Leaflets
    Maybe scented candles with the Sega logo

Master of the Universe

:pac:

3r8xwc2cmnl21.jpg

:pac:

3r8xwc2cmnl21.jpg

Is that in the pantry?

Master of the Universe

It's the call button, I've been pressing it for 10 minutes and you still haven't brought my tea :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

It's the call button, I've been pressing it for 10 minutes and you still haven't brought my tea :pac:
    Well, no wonder, you've been pressing the wrong button. The one for tea is the red one.

Or is that the one that launches the nukes?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

ClY4rKIWgAATqur.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not retro but I think they've absolutely nailed this one. Was introducing a friends 9 year old to the original at the weekend and he had an absolute blast.

Really liking the art.

Konami bringing out classic collections to celebrate it's 50th birthday:

https://www.konami.com/games/50th/ac/us/en/

Hoping to see rondo and SotN on steam and not just confined to PlayStation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Mega SG shipped from Analogue.

Nice little surprise even after they already surprised by expecting to start shipping next week.

Hopefully it's another sterling effort from them.

D1tUZwJVAAAACOr?format=jpg&name=medium

Master of the Universe

Really delighted to see the unreleased Megadrive game Hardcore released with this. I remember seeing a tech demo of it years ago and thinking it looked pretty good.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Konami bringing out classic collections to celebrate it's 50th birthday:

https://www.konami.com/games/50th/ac/us/en/

Hoping to see rondo and SotN on steam and not just confined to PlayStation

Digital only though :(

Have a mate in the UK looking for a good bartop. He's not an arcade snob so a LCD will be find :p

Anyone able to help me point him in the right direction?

Have a mate in the UK looking for a good bartop. He's not an arcade snob so a LCD will be find :p
    Anyone able to help me point him in the right direction?

Chilli’s Arcade get rave reviews from people in the UK retro groups, and seems to have a lot of desireable reviews on his page.

https://m.facebook.com/ChillisArcade/

He does custom artwork also, so the cabs vary from gorgeous down to tacky depending on what his customers demand.

I think he provides pis with ready to go images on sd card and will sell updated sd cards for a price also.

Master of the Universe

Had a handyman in to take a look at a bit of electrical work.

He points at a little Gashapon on one of my arcade machines and in the strongest Polish accent says

'Ah, Metal Slug! I love that with the little guys and the shooting!'

Has my whole building gone arcade mad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Strong first impression from the Mega SG.
    Similar build quality, packaging etc to the Super NT. Good weight to the console (might just be a fraction bigger in the hand than the NT). Extras included, Master System adapter, SegaCD spacer etc all of a similar presentation.
    Been a couple of firmware updates since their initial build, so popped the latest on, and gave it a quick spin for an hour.

Only tried a few carts, no PAL or US yet (have to get them out of storage), just a few early Japanese classics like Strider, Ghouls, Super Shinobi etc and all seem fine. Everdrive works fine as well, though have noticed one or two things with a few titles that might need to be directly compared to the original hardware when I get a chance (some off music glitches in Thunderforce III, and Gynoug), but might just be the old brain letting me down, but there is a history of rolled out fixes put in place by Analogue for previous systems so will have to check it out for certain.
    Picture looks sharp and defined on a modern display with the usual resolution options, with the complete lack of jailbars, even over modded original, an absolute godsend.

Good opening shot all in all, and the M30 pads really look and feel the part, with the small footprint of the wireless adapters take nothing away from the design of the console. Paired up with a Japanese cartridge, the console really looks the business.

QpjxXZd

Advertisement