Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The Wii shop is closing today. Kind of another testament to how little videogame companies care about their own properties. Once it's gone there will be no way to get some classic wiiware games like the Konami rebirth series. Thankfully there's piracy to fall back on.

Kinda contradictory!

There will absolutely be ways to get classic wiiware games!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Kinda contradictory!

There will absolutely be ways to get classic wiiware games!

No approved ways anyway. Not counting the first iteration of Xbox Live, and the Playstation Network...is this an example of a company just nuking the rights of digital content 'owners' to retrieve their paid for games?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No. 3D Realms had a failed digital store and Desura went tits up as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I said this was a risk ages ago, and look to my daft amount of games downloaded on the PS3/4, 360/One and wondered how long these were going to remain available.
    They represent a significant expense over the years and while, right now, if they need replacement I'll just reinstall them all, once the servers go dark, that's it... No more.
    Imagine the A&R forum in 15 years time, when there's no way to play those games anymore, as they were never released physically, or that our own digital purchases, now lost, mean a repurchase of the physical version.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

As of next month there will be no PS3 and Vita games on PS Plus.
    So PS4 only.

Looks like i am going to have to buy a PS4 now, its nearly retro isn't it, 2013?

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Imagine the A&R forum in 15 years time, when there's no way to play those games anymore, as they were never released physically, or that our own digital purchases, now lost, mean a repurchase of the physical version.

Thankfully, there's piracy to combat this issue. I feel though, given the amazing progress Xenia and RPCS3 have made over the last 12 months, emulation will ultimately be the most viable way to enjoy games that have disappeared into the e-ether. The most important thing right now is that people archive the software, methods to use it will come later if not there already.

It still makes a strong to collect physically where possible/viable, in terms of being a collector.

Seems there's still temporary provision for redownloading previously bought software, even after the store closes.
    As it stands, even after the store officially closes, Wii users will be able download any past titles they’ve purchased and downloaded from the Wii Shop Channel, provided they can fit them on either the Wii’s internal storage or an additional SD card. However, Nintendo said that in a yet unknown point in the future, the company will close all services relating to the Wii Shop Channel, "including the ability to redownload WiiWare and Virtual Console games, as well as the Wii System Transfer Tool, which transfers data from Wii to the Wii U system."

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/wjm5kw/nintendo-makes-it-clear-that-piracy-is-the-only-way-to-preserve-video-game-history?utm_campaign=sharebutton

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Inviere wrote: »
    It still makes a strong to collect physically where possible/viable, in terms of being a collector.

Even physical releases aren't immune, for example the Switch version of LA Noire contains about half the game on cart, the rest is a download.

Multi GB day-one patches are becoming the norm, so basically the disc is effectively a broken game with a valid license key to download the working version.

Even physical releases aren't immune, for example the Switch version of LA Noire contains about half the game on cart, the rest is a download.

Multi GB day-one patches are becoming the norm, so basically the disc is effectively a broken game with a valid license key to download the working version.

Yeah true, the Spyro Trilogy comes to mind...only Part 1 on the disc :rolleyes:

Just while we're on the Wii Shop Channel...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You'd think with the Wii being such an easy system to emulate they could just do an emulation layer and provide the games and still sell them. Drop the games that rely on the Wii online infrastructure.

Still I know a lot of Wiiware and VC games have disappeared from the shop already like one of the super turrican games and the C64 library.

Thankfully MS are doing a good job with their BC push. Having Panzer Dragoon Orta and Ninja Gaiden Black on The One is great even if I've prefer them on PC. Still a lot of games not emulated like Jet Set Radio Future and the Otogi games.

Still a lot of games not emulated like Jet Set Radio Future

Not sure how complete the emulation is, but I had that up and running @60fps using an Xbox One controller not too long ago. Played it for a few mins, seemed almost perfect using CXBX-Reloaded

Emulation is so much hassle though :pac:

Emulation is so much hassle though :pac:

Get CXBX
    Get Game
    Run Emu
    Open Game
    ???
    Profit
    :pac:

I need to set up my PC for emulation again. Had it handy in Sligo and was playing everything on genuine hardware through xRGB with everdrives.

No room for all that in Wicklow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

I need to set up my PC for emulation again. Had it handy in Sligo and was playing everything on genuine hardware through xRGB with everdrives.

No room for all that in Wicklow :(

Oh christ, looks like we have months of emulation whinging ahead on top of the whinging that goes on already! :D

I need to set up my PC for emulation again.

RetroArch with Launchbox or don't waste our time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,456 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »
    Oh christ, looks like we have months of emulation whinging ahead on top of the whinging that goes on already! :D

I won't be able to hear him over the sound of my arcade machines and original hardware. :pac:

Master of the Universe

Any of you guys know if it's possible to boot PS3 games directly from an external HDD?

Got a lovely modded PS3 Slim from Inviere and was just trying to get it up and running with what I have about the house, have a spare 500gb external drive gathering dust.

Seems games need to be transferred onto the internal drive before they run though? First game I tried was Journey and it took two hours to transfer :eek:

If that's the case the only option then really is to stick big internal drive in and FTP over?

o1s1n wrote: »
    Any of you guys know if it's possible to boot PS3 games directly from an external HDD?

Got a lovely modded PS3 Slim from Inviere and was just trying to get it up and running with what I have about the house, have a spare 500gb external drive gathering dust.

Seems games need to be transferred onto the internal drive before they run though? First game I tried was Journey and it took two hours to transfer :eek:

If that's the case the only option then really is to stick big internal drive in and FTP over?

Is there no option to install to external drive?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Is there no option to install to external drive?

I wonder is there an option in one of those mod/dev menus somewhere to install the game to the external harddrive? Will go digging.

When I boot the PS3, the Journey spash screen appears in the game list.

When I try to boot the game, it says that it needs to be installed on the internal harddrive. (no other options at this stage).

I wonder is there an option in one of those mod/dev menus somewhere to install the game to the external harddrive? Will go digging.

When I boot the PS3, the Journey spash screen appears in the game list.

When I try to boot the game, it says that it needs to be installed on the internal harddrive. (no other options at this stage).

If you load up MultiMan (I think that's what it's called), it should give you a myriad of different options to play with. Secondly, from what I remember, certain particular games have issues with being ran from external memory, but I don't think there's many like that.

Also:
    1. Yes. You can run PS3 games in folder format and PS3/PSX/PSP/DVD/BD in ISO format from external USB HDD.
    2. For PS3 in folder format it must be FAT32. For games in ISO format, the HDD can be NTFS or FAT32
    For FAT32, if the ISO is larger than 4GB, you should split the ISO.
    For the games in folder format have single files larger than 4GB, the file should be split and mounted with multiMAN or IRISMAN.
    3. Use multiMAN or IRISMAN to backup your disc games to external USB HDD as folder or ISO.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭phily2002

I use a crossover cable and the games transfer pretty quick. 2 hours for journey seems very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

23 retro consoles you can buy today

https://myemulator.online/retro-consoles-amazon-1

phily2002 wrote: »
    I use a crossover cable and the games transfer pretty quick. 2 hours for journey seems very long.

That's transferring by USB no? I think o1s1n is talking about actually dumping the games from disc onto the hdd.

Master of the Universe

If you load up MultiMan (I think that's what it's called), it should give you a myriad of different options to play with. Secondly, from what I remember, certain particular games have issues with being ran from external memory, but I don't think there's many like that.

Also:

Cheers dude! That little bit of info at the bottom is exactly what I'd been looking for. Seems the best thing for me to try is to change the harddrive back to NTFS and stick to isos (I'd been using game folder)

Cheers dude! That little bit of info at the bottom is exactly what I'd been looking for. Seems the best thing for me to try is to change the harddrive back to NTFS and stick to isos (I'd been using game folder)

No worries. So if I'm reading it right, you can dump your discs using MultiMAN onto an NTFS formatted external drive, as an ISO file?

Master of the Universe

Yep! I think that's the case alright. Will try to get some ISOs onto the HDD and will report back :)

Anybody want System Shock 1 and 2 for steam? I have a spare key for each.

• Advertisement

Anybody want System Shock 1 and 2 for steam? I have a spare key for each.

I'll take System Shock 1 if it's still available?

Advertisement