Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Never liked the Snes version of UN Squadron, not sure why..
    Mariokart on the Snes, another one of those games a gamer is supposed to love, but I prefer the awesome GBA edition, if going for the Mode 7 look, and the very enjoyable GC and Wii versions, less said about the N64 edition the better.
    (I also love Diddy Kong Racing on the N64, not so much the DS remake)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Quake 2 and Alien Ressurrection were great games on the PS1

Ugh, I thought Quake 2 on the PS1 was plodding, once the novelty wore off, they did 'flatten' some of the map areas, if I remember. Too many check points also.

The split screen multiplay was impressive though, the players also had heads that would show up in Quake III..

Alien Ressurrection was superb though. I got so nervous playing it..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yes, I have Alien Ressurection, very cool game, real brown trouser stuff.
    Wish I had a playstation mouse to play it "properly" though...

Quake 2, only really at home on the PC of course, followed by the DC conversion and the N64 edition too, the PS edition only looked good when played via bleemcast, otherwise it was wretched looking..,
    The Saturn meanwhile had an amazing conversion of Quake on it, mmm (resisted talking about DEATH TANKKKK again, well, nearly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Currently getting into M.U.L.E. on my Atari emulator. Had a hankering for an economy simulator and had to go back to the 80s to find a good one.

Currently getting into M.U.L.E. on my Atari emulator. Had a hankering for an economy simulator and had to go back to the 80s to find a good one.

I don't understand, what's an economy simulator?

Is it a second hand one from Aer Lingus that's lets you fly a 737?
    Would it not be cheaper to just buy a slightly used actual 737 from Ryanair?
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Alien Resurrection was great alright. I remember the first time trying to use the newfangled control scheme. Made my brain hurt.

'Two analog sticks to move..?' /does not compute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I don't understand, what's an economy simulator?

Is it a second hand one from Aer Lingus that's lets you fly a 737?
    Would it not be cheaper to just buy a slightly used actual 737 from Ryanair?
    ;)
    :pac:

I'm not sure t what extent you're joking so in case you actually don't know what I mean, economy simulator = simulates economy (supply and demand etc). In M.U.L.E. you have to harvest resources and buy from/sell to other players, and the price you pay/get depends on supply and demand. Great craic altogether.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.U.L.E.

Ah, now I understand, I remember the ads for the game back in the day, but at that time I was playing the Speccy and so never played it.
    I have never heard of such genre games being called "Economy Simulators", more commonly it is called "Resource Management", albeit quite different in implementation to Elite, C&C and other titles that utilise in-game resource exploitation or a functioning economy.
    I believe most of the MMORPGs have economies of their own, with trade and payments, using in game currencies, EVE online and WoW being the two ones that spring ot mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,831 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I never played M.U.L.E. but they went on about it in an episode of retronauts, saying how it was an excellent game and a forgotten classic that tried to kick start multiplayr gaming.

Didn't Space War kick start both gaming and multiplayer gaming, at the same time!

And wasn't Kickstart great, especially the one where the kid falls, with motorbike, onto the log rendering himself sterile, Hahaha!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,831 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well it wasone of the first ever 4 player games if i remember correctly and it was built for multiplayer since the way to win was to form pacts with you're friends and stab each other in the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Mostly sticking with the PS2 tonight. Played Pro Evolution 6, WipEout Pulse, Dark Chronicle and Steel Lancer Arena International.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

ah the ps2,had some absolute gems in its time,anyone ever play shadow of rome,i f#cking loved that game it was epic..

I used to have it and really liked the fighting parts in the Colliseum, really cool. But then it went off on a total tangent sneaking about Rome and stuff. That's not what I signed up for Capcom! GIVE ME THE VIOLENCE! I didn't finish it :/

Master of the Universe

I found the colosseum bits in that game so much fun that I actually managed to sit through all the boring stealth levels till the end. In the hope that there'd be more gore action. Which there was! Hurrah!

Nothing like beating a stunned guy to death with his own soggy arm. Or those super moves where you cleave a guy in half.

Great fun!

Those bits were great. They didn't need the stealth bits at all or even any need for a storyline, just the gory violence would have been fine for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 powerxtreme

oooh must track down my copy of alien ressurection. that was a great game. After getting used to the two analog sticks to move i could never go back. Which was a pity as I wanted to play duke nukem 3d again on the ps1 but could not go back to the old control layout.

Master of the Universe

Which was a pity as I wanted to play duke nukem 3d again on the ps1 but could not go back to the old control layout.

You're dead right. It completely destroyed any FPS console game that uses one analog stick.

I'm looking at you, n64!

I have Duke Nukem 3d on a couple of consoles, PS, XBLA, I have the gba one too!
    As for Shadows of Rome, still have it, bought it a couple of years ago, yet to play it!

I have Dark Chronicle, but like most of my JRPGs I play for the first hour, fall asleep and never see them again, Rogue Galaxy is about to go the same way, haven't played in 3 months, it's about to migrate upstairs, to the cold cold room were the PS2 games go to hiberate!

Actually, what's Wipeout Pulse on the PS2 like?
    It's quite expensive but the PSP edition is very nice, and I can only hope the PS2 is an even better fit for it.

Well if you have the PSP edition I wouldn't see the point of picking it up, but since I didn't I got it and I really liked it. After Fusion, it's a return to the pure racing style of the games with less of an emphasis on combat, although that is still there. The tracks are good and the graphics and colours are vibrant and stand out, plays smooth. There is very little lag like you would find on Fusion although if you get alot of ships on screen and then an explosion it will happen.

The music is good, took a little while for me to get used to as its more modern kind of dance-techno. The competition breaks down into races you must come atleast 1st, 2nd or 3rd in. So you might have one race that is just a basic single race but then you also have knockouts (destroy as many ships as possible) or the zone races (go as fast as you can for as long as you can).

• Advertisement

Don't you get everything in Pure and Pulse with Wipeout HD and it's expansion except better looking?

I don't know, I'm still using a PS2.

It really is something special on the PS3, awesome stuff

Had a PS2 session tonight. Got some WipEout Pulse played, doing fairly well in that and got the hang of it now. Was playing that for most of the night.

Then I stuck on Sonic Unleashed as I hadn't played it in a few months. Don't really like the Nightime missions when your a Werehog, I'm really playing those just to get to the Daytime missions again when your speeding along, those are cool. I don't know why Sega didn't just make the game entirely composed of the Daytime parts, would have been an excellent game.

After that I stuck on Frequency, which is like Amplitude. Personally I prefer Frequency, I like the style and the music appeals more to my tastes. Quick game of Pro Evo 6 and then XG3 Racing. XG3 Extreme G Racing is definetly a hidden gem of racing games, particularly futuristic racing games. I think Acclaim did a great job with that game and I will probably start playing more of it again.

Finished off the night with Capcom vs SNK 2 but wasn't that much into it honestly and just played 2 fights before losing to Ken (it's always Ken!).

CCCP^ wrote: »
    XG3 Extreme G Racing is definetly a hidden gem of racing games, particularly futuristic racing games. I think Acclaim did a great job with that game and I will probably start playing more of it again.

The only decent thing Akklaim ever did other than publishing Darius Gaiden in the west.

In my opinion the only decent thing Akklaim ever did other than publishing Darius Gaiden in the west.

There, fixed that last post for you. Your welcome.

There, fixed that last post for you. Your welcome.

Akklaim brought out another decent game? I'd like to know what it is.

Edit: Okay I forgot decent conversions of NBA Jam and publishing Burnout :P

I'm not getting into an argument with you about games Acclaim have made. You have your own tastes and I have mine and we'll leave it at that. I happen to like XGR3 and think it's a decent game. Have you played it?

I seem to remember people going pretty ga-ga over Turok when Acclaim released it, although that may have been because there wasn't an awful lot of new releases for the N64 at the time.
    Turok 2 wasn't so bad, I think.....
    Burnout makes the companies existence essential though, imagine a world without it!
    We'd be snowed under (no current weather pun intended) with car modification games and "street" racing a la Need for Speed Underground, Juiced and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Acclaim published Double Dragon 2 for the NES so they get a thumbs up
    from me.

I'm not getting into an argument with you about games Acclaim have made. You have your own tastes and I have mine and we'll leave it at that. I happen to like XGR3 and think it's a decent game. Have you played it?

I thought I said it was good? I played it a bit, it unfortunately came out around the same time as the much better F-Zero GX.

Acclaim won't be missed by me. 90% of the games reviewed by AVGN are Acclaim games. And they hired those useless pricks Probe to ruin the ports of the Mortal Kombat games and the 32-bit Bubble Bobble collections. They just stole the mame code and all the bugs in the mame version were present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

Just did an attic raid last night - putting back up the Christmas decorations.

Found a load of loot, some of which I forgot I still had.
    First up today will be a game of SPACE INTRUDERS by Quicksilva on the ZX Spectrum.
    That's if it loads...:p

Bought a new cassette cable for my Oric over the Christmas from Retrocomputershack.com
    Been without it for years. It's gonna be second to be powered up. Fingers crossed.

Just letting them acclimatise to the warmer tempreratures before I power em up.

The haul includes - 2 Specc'ies (16 and 48K), the Oric 1, 2 ZX81's, C64, A500, 4 6-switch 2600's (woodies) 2 4-switch 2600 woodies (1 made in Atari Ireland), a shoot load of 2600 carts and other goodies, a modern megadrive:rolleyes:
    One of the 2600's is in it's orig box - crazy when you see it was sold with two free games: Pac-Man worth £49.95 and Combat worth £26.00! All for just £113.50!! Now that was alot of money back in the day...:D
    SANY2114.jpg

SANY2132-1.jpg

Looks like no airsofting (again) this weekend so it will be a busy weekend indoors... :D:D
    More pics to follow...

Well, if you ever feel the need to liberate one of the ZX81's I'm you man!

Those XtremeG titles weren't so bad, but it was like trying to be a racing title after Gran Turismo was released, no matter what you made after Wipeout Pure or Wipeout 3 Special Edition (my fave) and F-Zero GX it always looked 2nd (or 3rd) best.

Rollcage 2 is probably the most real fun I had with a "futuristic" racer, great weapons, nice visuals, all on the PS, nice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ewwwww 2600 Pac-Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Or if ya wanna offload a Woody 2600, let me know :pac:

• Advertisement

Ewwwww 2600 Pac-Man

Yeah, I have that game too and it really really blows.
    But Ms Pacman is absolutely brilliant, so it was never the hardwares fault, just really lazy programming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

atariman wrote: »
    Or if ya wanna offload a Woody 2600, let me know :pac:

+1 from me on that :D

Rollcage 1 and 2 are underrated classics and had a great 4 player split screen mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Rollcage 1 and 2 are underrated classics and had a great 4 player split screen mode.

One of the Rollcage games made me vomit, about 3 games have made me ill soon after playing them, Half Life 2 with the default fov and Take No Prisoners, the look down game by Orb\Raven.

TNP led to me lying down for about an hour trying to hold off the inevitable with the most awful nausea ever. There is a slight wobble of the whole screen when the character walks. I couldn't even look at the CD afterwards, gave the game away..

Just watched the zeropunctuation review of Demon's Souls, very very funny, I see you're playing it now Retro, is it as hard as he says?

• Advertisement

You really should be put off Demon's Souls just to that review. The game is very tough but it's an old school tough. However it actually gets easier the further you get in the game. You are actually meant to die in the game since a lot of the mechanics of the game vary depending on if you are alive or dead. You will die a lot in the game but it's a learning experience and you will get a little further in the levels the more yo play it and many of them open up shortcuts as you get a little further.

Don't let Yahtzee put you off experiencing what is more than likely the best game this year especially since the online options and integration is so unique and excellent.

I thought I said it was good? I played it a bit, it unfortunately came out around the same time as the much better F-Zero GX.

Acclaim won't be missed by me. 90% of the games reviewed by AVGN are Acclaim games. And they hired those useless pricks Probe to ruin the ports of the Mortal Kombat games and the 32-bit Bubble Bobble collections. They just stole the mame code and all the bugs in the mame version were present.

Sorry must have missed that. I read up on Acclaim today on Wikipedia, some Jokers alright. XG3 Racing is a good racing game I think but if it came out around the same time as F-Zero GX it was doomed. I've yet to get my mitts on GX but it looks amazing.

I remember years ago in England seeing XG3 and it was only £7 or something cheap like that. I wanted it but my mam wouldn't let me get it :(

Do pick up GX though, it looks great and is very very enjoyable. I seen it in a charity shop and was attracted by the box art so I got it. Didn't really know much about the game but I was glad I did get it after playing it :)

With the possibility of schools being closed until next thursday, I'll hopefully start getting stuck into my mahoosive backlog of games :D

My youngster is in his aunts tomorrow and my wife is working so it's me and the TV and the game of my choosing, but which to choose? Too many choices! Literally several hundred games are at my fingertips, but which one?

Probably Fallout 3, again!

Master of the Universe

Are you far into Fallout 3? It's a game you really should play till the end. Brilliant stuff. And then when you're done with that, go back and play Fallout 1 &2 if you haven't already!

No where near the end, I'm just now battling super mutants (hate them feckers!) in the Museum of Technology, still, great game.

Birthday coming in 3 days (January 13th), I'll be 38 :(
    Still you never know what wonderful retro things I may get, although it's more likely to be voucher shaped, but that has possibilities too.

Master of the Universe

Happy birthday! 38 eh? I suddenly feel a lot younger :D

I always think it's sad that there are so many amazing gifts out there a retro gamer would absolutely wet themselves over if they got for their birthday...if only the people buying things for you knew. We have to be the easiest people to get things for!

Imagine waking up on your birthday to find a gift wrapped Neo Geo AES, or original boxed copy of your favourite game..or even an arcade machine standing in the corner of the room!

Happy (early) Birthday! I suggest a big party with excessively loud basslines. And gameboys :)

My birthday is coming up soon. If anyone wants to buy me a copy of radiant silvergun I promise to make sweet, sweet love to them.

My birthday is coming up soon. If anyone wants to buy me a copy of radiant silvergun I promise to make sweet, sweet love to them.

O RLY?

• Advertisement
Advertisement