Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RWC 2019 Ireland v Japan Match Thread: Group A - Sat 28th Sep 08:15 Shizuoka

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

I had a horn on me a cat wouldn’t scratch when that final whistle blew . “Hello Emporer, where are your clothes?”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Kidney RWC record very much the same as anyone else's

Ireland win over Australia is by far our biggest scalp in RWC history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

snotboogie wrote: »

So Kidney's record is better because of one win?

If Ireland make a semi-final then, Schmidt's will have been better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

So Kidney's record is better because of one win?

If Ireland make a semi-final then, Schmidt's will have been better?

Kidneys RWC record (4-1) is objectively better than Schmidts (5-2).

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Earls releases, player lets ball go, Earls gets up and comes through and plays the loose ball. Not seeing much wrong there tbh.

Personally I'd have given a penalty against Earls at the end for not releasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

His overall record is much better

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Kidney has a better RWC record for sure, this loss cements that. Schmidt has the best six nations record but he has benefited massively from the total capitulation of French rugby

You can easily reframe that as France capitalised on Ireland's still largely amateur approach to the game prior to 10 years ago though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Kidneys RWC record (4-1) is objectively better than Schmidts (5-2).

Yes. I'm saying that if Schmidt's team wins a quarter final, his record is obviously better. The competition isn't over yet, there's still a lot out there for this team to achieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

blinding wrote: »
    His body shape/ fitness is not at the level of other top tier International Second Rows .

I have read some ridiculous posts on boards over the years. This is possibly the stupidest post I have ever read on any thread.

Iain Henderson the 50 times capped Irish and Lion's 2nd row has a body shape that is not at the level of other top tier international second rows.

Just let that sink in for a minute. The 6ft 6 118kg Irish and Lion's second row has a body shape that is not comparable to other international second rows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,965 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

awec wrote: »
    Personally I'd have given a penalty against Earls at the end for not releasing.

It could be given, no doubt, but his hands release and his momentum takes him back to his feet. On a day that we came off worst with decisions, I'll take that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

mfceiling wrote: »
    I have read some ridiculous posts on boards over the years. This is possibly the stupidest post I have ever read on any thread.

Iain Henderson the 50 times capped Irish and Lion's 2nd row has a body shape that is not at the level of other top tier international second rows.

Just let that sink in for a minute. The 6ft 6 118kg Irish and Lion's second row has a body shape that is not comparable to other international second rows.
    He certainly cannot last 80 minutes against good teams or possibly even middle tier teams . His fitness over 80 minutes is not at the level of his peers .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

He certainly cannot last 80 minutes against good teams or possibly even middle tier teams . His fitness over 80 minutes is not at the level of his peers .
    Are you suggesting we take off James Ryan instead of Henderson when there's a second row sub sitting on the bench? Or just leave the sub there?

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Are you suggesting we take off James Ryan instead of Henderson when there's a second row sub sitting on the bench? Or just leave the sub there?
    I am saying its a pity we don’t have more fit and therefore better player than Henderson . Henderson injuries have greatly reduced his abilities .

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

England, "possibly", aside, there is not a 23 in World Rugby that would not include Iain.

I am saying its a pity we don’t have more fit and therefore better player than Henderson . Henderson injuries have greatly reduced his abilities .
    What are you basing this on? That he is subbed or just a subjective opinion?

• Advertisement

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    England, "possibly", aside, there is not a 23 in World Rugby that would not include Iain.
    I doubt that .

What are you basing this on? That he is subbed or just a subjective opinion?
    Fortunately . I am entitled to my opinion .

Fortunately . I am entitled to my opinion .
    As are we all. I am also entitled to ask if there's anything backing up your opinion. You don't have to answer of course.

So, he wouldn't make the bench(at least)for

Scotland
    Wales
    France
    Australia
    Argentina

?

South Africa and New Zealand are up for debate, but I opine YES!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

My recollection was we won that by abusing the hole off james o'connor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Probably been said already but carbury was god awful when he came on. Hospital passes too standing men, the penalty out of hand that shoukd have gone deep into the 22 but barely hit the 10m line and kicking it out at the end was basically throwing in the towel
    Also the lack of criticism by the rte panel shows rugby is an old boys club. Happy to pat each other on the back while playing in the irfu's protected system. Doesn't help when the chips are down at the world cup.
    Also i didnt see any leaders on the pitch today. Think of o connells manic agression, woody, o driscoll...I'm not talking skill, i'm talking pumping up the troops during battle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Probably been said already but carbury was god awful when he came on. Hospital passes too standing men, the penalty out of hand that shoukd have gone deep into the 22 but barely hit the 10m line and kicking it out at the end was basically throwing in the towel
    Also the lack of criticism by the rte panel shows rugby is an old boys club. Happy to pat each other on the back while playing in the irfu's protected system. Doesn't help when the chips are down at the world cup.
    Also i didnt see any leaders on the pitch today. Think of o connells manic agression, woody, o driscoll...I'm not talking skill, i'm talking pumping up the troops during battle.

Cant say that's all on carbery, the other players were in position for those passes and the pods around them. It was a bad play that they should have scrapped after doing it the first time.

^ It was a contentious decision to kick ball out t end, but I reckon the guaranteed point will be invaluable at end of group stage.

The right thing to do IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I googled my own question, Joe's record is currently a 72% win rate, Declan Kidneys was just over 50% and Eddie O Sullivan was 64%.
    So I suppose his record is good.
    It's hard to decide which is better, the Australia WC win in 2011 or the new Zealand victories Joe has overseen so I just looked for their overall ratios.

^ It was a contentious decision to kick ball out t end, but I reckon the guaranteed point will be invaluable at end of group stage.

The right thing to do IMO.

I'm not sure he was even thinking about that. I think he just bottled it in the moment.

As are we all. I am also entitled to ask if there's anything backing up your opinion. You don't have to answer of course.
    His fitness or lack there of and him not having the ability he could have because of his lack of fitness .

Cant say that's all on carbery, the other players were in position for those passes and the pods around them. It was a bad play that they should have scrapped after doing it the first time.

He is the out half though. He controls the game. And had other options such as a skip pass or a grubber kick through the gain line. No invention, creativity or ability to mix up the approach on the moment.

He is the out half though. He controls the game. And had other options such as a skip pass or a grubber kick through the gain line. No invention, creativity or ability to mix up the approach on the moment.

* I'm not sure how you can bottle an in-goal area clearance on 80 mins to secure a bonus point when you've been under the cosh for previous 40 minutes.

His fitness or lack there of and him not having the ability he could have because of his lack of fitness .
    Again, based on what?

• Advertisement

He did what he was clearly told to do. It wasnt just him doing it, 5/6 players needed to be involved in those passes including Murray.

* I'm not sure how you can bottle an in-goal area clearance on 80 mins to secure a bonus point when you've been under the cosh for previous 40 minutes.

He panicked and kicked it out. A few minutes previous the japanese winger broke out from his own line and made 30 yards. We couldnt try anything similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

71207958_2608869042511343_525213808117940224_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_oc=AQniMDtswUbiCGpIJCNi3l3gVzKOAF71efjmlmLC35UAk8YEgHPDkOgLsMx-jNDQeGE&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&tp=1&oh=dc1540bec7c1ee707533f5fd043fb956&oe=5DF7F2DA

He panicked and kicked it out. A few minutes previous the japanese winger broke out from his own line and made 30 yards. We couldnt try anything similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

I can see the japanese beating scotland and finishing top of the group. Ireland will be lucky to get second and it'll be curtains if we have to take on the All blacks. 4 losses by Ireland this year is ludicrous, almost as ludicrous as the rankings which had ireland number 1 in the world recently. Japan wanted the win more and played with swagger, pass, power, intensity. Have to say im so tired of irelands dull up the jumper style of play. Wwe looked so pedestrian compared to the exciting japanese who played exactly like this 4 years ago when they beat the boks. Why Ireland teams fail to adopt the offload and let the ball do the work rather than constantly going into contact is beyond me, because it no longer works, the fact that Joe doesnt see that means his decision to step down is timely. My concern now is whether Ireland under Andy farrell will be any different ?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tommybojangles

My 2 cents I was screaming at Carbury to kick it out at the end. IMO trying to play on would have been the real "bottle job" I.e throwing away a result that made things salvageable.

As someone said above the silver lining in days like these is that lads who belong on the ignore list expose themselves. This WC and to a large extent Schmidts tenure (fairly or unfairly) will be judged on a one off game in the quarters

"A few minutes previous the japanese winger broke out.."

That's the exact reason you don't throw it around in your own in-goal area on 80 mins.

He did what he was clearly told to do. It wasnt just him doing it, 5/6 players needed to be involved in those passes including Murray.

Fair point but goes back to my other point of not having any leadere out there. These guys are supposed to be elite athletes, ranked 1 in the world not mindless sheep. But yes, i would also heavily criticize the coaching team

The problem was that ruck ball was always under pressure and you can't go wide without pulling defenders into the ruck and giving you the space out wide. We were just losing the collisions that we'd normally win. And then slow ball compounded that. He had one long pass picked off and nearly conceded a try from it. Kicking the ball away is always a dangerous ploy; 50/50 at best. Imo, the game was lost in the first half through stupid penalties and an even stupider decision to crossfield kick a penalty instead of going to the corner or taking the points. The heat and humidity were always going to hurt us, so the objective must have been to build a good lead in the first half and we failed to do that.

• Advertisement

That's the exact reason you don't throw it around in your own in-goal area on 80 mins.

I disagree. It shows what throwing caution to the wind does. The fact we lost the match proves my point. We had to take a risk. Hanging on to a losing bonus point against japan is an embarrassment

I disagree. It shows what throwing caution to the wind does. The fact we lost the match proves my point. We had to take a risk. Hanging on to a losing bonus point against japan is an embarrassment

Again, based on what?
    His injury record and the affect it has on his fitness now and on his ability now .

I googled my own question, Joe's record is currently a 72% win rate, Declan Kidneys was just over 50% and Eddie O Sullivan was 64%.
    So I suppose his record is good.
    It's hard to decide which is better, the Australia WC win in 2011 or the new Zealand victories Joe has overseen so I just looked for their overall ratios.

2 wins over All Blacks, A grand slam, getting to No. 1 and a couple other 6 nations kind of tell it's own story.

This has been a poor year no doubt, but time yet to salvage something.

Keep injuries at bay, suspensions too and getting through are all that matter now. Then reset, and should be better acclimatised.

If it's NZ in the QF hopefully Italy give them a tough match before hand. If it's SA, they'll have have had to work to guarantee but will have had nearly 2 weeks off before their QF fixture.

Not IMO, Simon. Sorry :-)

Take the beating and get the [possibly vital] bonus point.

We'll se how it works out in a couple weeks.

The problem was that ruck ball was always under pressure and you can't go wide without pulling defenders into the ruck and giving you the space out wide. We were just losing the collisions that we'd normally win. And then slow ball compounded that. He had one long pass picked off and nearly conceded a try from it. Kicking the ball away is always a dangerous ploy; 50/50 at best. Imo, the game was lost in the first half through stupid penalties and an even stupider decision to crossfield kick a penalty instead of going to the corner or taking the points. The heat and humidity were always going to hurt us, so the objective must have been to build a good lead in the first half and we failed to do that.

I'd agree with the first half assessment. The heat shouldn't be an issue though. It's no surprise japan is humid. That's poor preparation.

• Advertisement

reg114 wrote: »
    Wwe looked so pedestrian compared to the exciting japanese who

Been like that for years and will be so long as they keep rolling out HHH and undertaker

Not IMO, Simon. Sorry :-)

Take the beating and get the [possibly vital] bonus point.

We'll se how it works out in a couple weeks.

Proof will be in the pudding i suppose. I just thought it summed up the mentality of the day...play it safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Probability of going the length of the pitch and scoring a try = tiny.

Benefit of going the length of the pitch, scoring a try and not converting it = zilch.

Probability of going the length of the pitch and scoring a try and converting it = smaller than tiny.

Benefit of going the length of the pitch, scoring a try and converting it = drawn game, so one additional point on the table.

Risk of being intercepted or giving away a penalty to the Japs in our attempt to score an unlikely converted try = tiny but possible.

Risk of someone being injured in a fruitless attempt to score an unlikely try = not insignificant.

Sensible option - kick the ball out.

Remember how England fukced up in the last RWC when they went for the win instead of settling for a draw against Wales?

Their break came from catching an intercept. Getting through the gain line can be a very difficult thing to do that's why we tend to be more focused on kicking to give ourselves room to attack, instead of carrying.

^ That's what I meant to say! :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement