Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2019 Ireland v Japan Match Thread: Group A - Sat 28th Sep 08:15 Shizuoka

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭clsmooth

The losing bonus point is probably huge. Scotland need to beat them by a bonus point assuming we can out Samoa and Russia away with Bp wins. Wouldn’t fancy being in Gregor Townsends shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

People will troll and whatever, but I will never understand an Irish person actively enjoying watching a team of Irish lads lose. That mindset is honestly baffling to me

It's not a team of Irish lads though is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

The amount of "I told you so" ****e in relation to Ireland being bad and delight at Ireland playing ****e is honestly horrible to read through

Mainly from premier league diehards it seems from a quick look at their post histories. Fanatic followers of a team from some place they have probably visited three times in their life and delighted to see their own country losing. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,211 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Japan might win the whole thing. I mean why not?
    .....let's have a bit of a reality check ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

The amount of "I told you so" ****e in relation to Ireland being bad and delight at Ireland playing ****e is honestly horrible to read through

I told you so.

The cringe factor is the amount of peoole who though Ireland would hammer this Japan team.

This team and smcith are well and truly ooen to criticism.

Blaming the ref to try and deflect attention. Its a managerial tactic. Pitty he didnt have some ideas over the 80mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So the “World Beaters” are back down to earth with a huge bang.
    Some of those players embarrassed themselves today.
    Not the easy game they expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Ireland only have themselves to blame. Too many errors and totally devoid of any ideas of how to grain control of the game.

Best lost two crucial line outs that cost us points and guaranteed at least 3 for Japan. You can't make errors of that magnitude in a world cup.

The ref killed a lot of our momentum especially with a blatant offside that he refused to call and then we knock on. Yeah we were poor, but that decision could have given us a chance of three or a line out deep in their area.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It was an awful performance and I will agree that he did ping us but he didnt ping them and thats the issue.

You can't possibly claim that he applied the rules accurately to both teams today

And this is the thing.

I'm tired of having to say 'we should've been better' as if that's an excuse for the refereeing.

We were bad, but the laws were not applied to both teams equally.

When we were on their line, for example, they were offside on every single ruck.

The one time he applied the rules equally was when we were 19-12 down and Carbery sliced the penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

NeonWolf wrote: »
    High tackle by Rob Kearney in last pass before Japan try . He caught him on the jaw

Could be cited, but didn’t seem right anway

Ran out of gas about 7 mins or so in to second half. Lads were out on their feet. Japan just looked ready to go for another 10-15 mins beyond full time.

We had absolutely no control over that second half what so ever. We just needed a period where the Japanese couldn’t get their hands on the ball. Instead we kicked it away, our runners were being throw the ball while static and then being smashed.

We are now left in a situation where Samoa is now a must win. If Samoa beat Scotland or Japan then they will think they can beat us and looking at us today in those conditions then that is a strong possibility. The group has just been blown wide wide open.

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »

Its as realistic as Ireland winning it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Clegg wrote: »
    Yes, but you also need a calm head at 10 when things aren't going well. Carty and Carbery both panicked. Not t saying Sexton is immune to feeling pressure, but I do think he would have performed better.

I think where sexton would have been key is in motivating the team and getting them going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

Mokuba wrote: »
    I'm sure they would those 2 friendly victories for a successful world cup.

People will be falling over themselves to say how competitive those matches are but these are the competitive matches and Ireland fail every time.

There is a clearly a massive difference between glorified friendlies and even Six Nations rugby vs World Cup rugby, which Ireland fans either can't or won't see and admit.

You said Ireland were crap the last 12 months.

Tell me they played crap against New Zealand 12 months ago. Tell me New Zealand didn't play that game to a high standard.

Admit when you are wrong.

Edit: we fail them every time??? Scotland was a competitive game and we kicked them home. We are not that far removed from 6 nation's glory ourselves. Is the six nation's and world cup vs tier 1 opposition not good enough for you? You underlined every so I take you mean every.

People take too much delight in taking down others who have had a bit of success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

There's been an arrogance about this team for a while. We went to the corner on a couple of occasions where a kick at the posts would have done. It's grand going to the corner when behind or Infront especially with the line out troubles in the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Hurrache wrote: »
    What was the alternative?

Not getting the bonus losing point

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

JAPAN.

World number 1. Laughable.

Raeburn Shield holders though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

How many world cups do Ireland go into it with reasonably high hopes only to seriously under perform? It’s a real shame as they are clearly a talented side. I’d say New Zealand are looking toward to the quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

MadYaker wrote: »
    These posts just make me laugh. Disgusting ego ffs. I’ll never understand all the misery junkies in this country, it must be a sad way to live your life.
    These threads should be locked for a few hours after a match like this. Give people time to calm down. A lot of disappointment and some people show it in very different ways.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

Japan played really well and that Irish lads looked wrecked after 20 mins .throws everything open now doesn’t it . Japan will best Scotland and we will probably end up against NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

So the “World Beaters” are back down to earth with a huge bang.
    Some of those players embarrassed themselves today.
    Not the easy game they expected.

Who in particular embarrassed themselves in your esteemed opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

They had one player today who qualified by residency. When was the last time the soccer team took the field without five or six lads who never lived in Ireland in their life part of the squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

gmisk wrote: »

After Leicester in 2016 I'm betting against anything.

There's no obvious favourite, no outstanding team, Japan will be at home and are inspired.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,211 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Its as realistic as Ireland winning it :)
    That isn't saying much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Yeah it is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sexton would've been in Gardner's ear all game you'd think with those decisions. Missed that.

SlickRic wrote: »
    And this is the thing.

I'm tired of having to say 'we should've been better' as if that's an excuse for the refereeing.

We were bad, but the laws were not applied to both teams equally.

When we were on their line, for example, they were offside on every single ruck.

The one time he applied the rules equally was when we were 19-12 down and Carbery sliced the penalty.

Lads show a little class. We were outplayed and the better side won. Yes some questionable decisions but that performance is a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Hoppy Jack

Conan will be a happy man getting away home from this sorry mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,166 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not getting the bonus losing point

I know, but many others don't seem to realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,230 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

well that was disappointing. thought the turning point was not giving ireland a penalty when RK was closelined

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I'll never understand the mentality of people who get such pleasure from seeing their national team do poorly. Some of the stuff being posted here is absolutely embarrassing.

Advertisement