Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Akrasia wrote: »
    The US allowed open KKK members to be in the senate up until Byrd died in 2010

As FUBAR as QAnon is, it would be completely hypocritical to remove them from elected office while having nothing in place to prevent members of other hateful groups from being elected as senators or Congresspeople.

Democracy means that sometimes bad people get elected. There need to be checks and balances and constitutional protections against the risk that anti democratic forces could take control and use their position to prevent future elections from taking place, but other than that, the will of the people needs to be respected or else the system loses all legitimacy

Definitely not the chair of committees like judicial, intelligence or budgetary oversight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Won't be a peep out of the Democrats this week about pardoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

A source clsoe to Trump claimed that he sees pardoning as a favour to that person. To be repaid how, we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Beating this drum again?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    A source clsoe to Trump claimed that he sees pardoning as a favour to that person. To be repaid how, we'll see.

Well he saw the state funeral for McCain as a personal favour so that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

For the umpteenth time, what would you like them to do on the pardoning power the President has?

And why have you only taken an interest in it the last few weeks?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Dohnjoe wrote: »

Apparently selling them for 2million a pop, sure why not. Handy money if you can get it and have absolutely no principles.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

She doesn’t see a problem with her declaring that a duly elected representative should be removed simply because she doesn’t like their politics? (Assuming such QAnon representatives actually exist in Congress, not quite sure how they will be suitably identified for purging purposes)

Their "Politics" is to overthrow US democracy. Fascism cannot be ignored or tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Every now and then you hunt this tired old sow through the village again.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Detritus70

duploelabs wrote: »
    When Chairman Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., asked whether it was right-wing or left-wing extremists who posed a greater danger, Wray said it was “not one ideology, but rather lone actors, largely self-radicalized online who pursue soft targets using readily available weapons.”

Reminds me of that "domestric threat skin tone color chart"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,192 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Navalny out on bail now. Lots of protests in Moscow and then he's released. I think I'd advise him to change his underpants immediately.

Happening right now. No reports yet as to what the threat is.

Edit: Apparently a fire several blocks away. Nervy times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭amandstu

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Navalny out on bail now. Lots of protests in Moscow and then he's released. I think I'd advise him to change his underpants immediately.

Got a link?

The BBC still has him detained
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55700312

Happening right now. No reports yet as to what the threat is.

Probably Trump got out:)

amandstu wrote: »
    He has some cojones

Massive, they don't just want to kill him, they want to do it slowly and painfully (with a nerve agent)

Will be good to have a normal leader back in the seat calling out the Kremlin on their bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

With Lindsey on Fox telling Trump not to pardon those who attacked the capitol as it would destroy him, there'd be no need for others to make comments.

aloyisious wrote: »
    With Lindsey on Fox telling Trump not to pardon those who attacked the capitol as it would destroy him, there'd be no need for others to make comments.
    I doubt they'll be able to get their GoFundMes up to $2 million before inauguration day anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Hockney

Axios are doing a very interesting series of reports called "How It Happened: Trump's Last Stand".

They seem to have gotten sources from inside the White House relaying back actual quotes from the Admin, as the whole thing played out beginning on election night to the final days of the presidency.

If it can be believed, it's a fascinating insight into how the admin operate in private, some belters of quotes from Trump, Rudy etc etc in there.

Episode 1: A premeditated lie lit the fire
    Episode 2: Barbarians at the Oval
    Episode 3: Descent into madness

New episodes will appear on this page as they're released:

https://www.axios.com/off-the-rails-episodes-cf6da824-83ac-45a6-a33c-ed8b00094e39.html

Can't wait for the episode where he's told he's been banned from Twitter!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

listermint wrote: »
    I'm sure a man like yourself would understand that it's not beliefs, it's an organisation that the FBI has now designated as domestic terrorist threat.

How did Sinn Fein get into the Dail? Or Parliament (That they refused to take their seat isn't the same as exclusion)? Or did anyone really fall under the belief that they and the PIRA weren't basically the same thing, or at least, that they didn't share common beliefs?

One may also debate whether or not being categorized as a domestic terror 'threat' is the same thing as actively being a terrorist. Innocent until proven guilty, feel free to keep a special eye on them until they do something illegal. That can include 'conspiracy'. But until then, if there are no grounds for prosecution, I see no grounds for an arbitrary removal from power. The latter as a precedent can lead to absolutely no good in the long term.

That is a 2013 article:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,427 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Hockney wrote: »
    Axios are doing a very interesting series of reports called "How It Happened: Trump's Last Stand".

They seem to have gotten sources from inside the White House relaying back actual quotes from the Admin, as the whole thing played out beginning on election night to the final days of the presidency.

If it can be believed, it's a fascinating insight into how the admin operate in private, some belters of quotes from Trump, Rudy etc etc in there.

https://www.axios.com/off-the-rails-episodes-cf6da824-83ac-45a6-a33c-ed8b00094e39.html

Episode 4 is up!

https://www.axios.com/trump-barr-relationship-off-the-rails-b33b3788-e7e9-47fa-84c5-3a0016559eb5.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,694 ✭✭✭✭listermint

How did Sinn Fein get into the Dail? Or Parliament (That they refused to take their seat isn't the same as exclusion)? Or did anyone really fall under the belief that they and the PIRA weren't basically the same thing, or at least, that they didn't share common beliefs?

One may also debate whether or not being categorized as a domestic terror 'threat' is the same thing as actively being a terrorist. Innocent until proven guilty, feel free to keep a special eye on them until they do something illegal. That can include 'conspiracy'. But until then, if there are no grounds for prosecution, I see no grounds for an arbitrary removal from power. The latter as a precedent can lead to absolutely no good in the long term.

I think we've reached a peak , Manic.
    .you are comparing Q Anon with Sinn Fein.

Il say no more. Nothing really needs to be said

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Akrasia wrote: »
    The US allowed open KKK members to be in the senate up until Byrd died in 2010

As FUBAR as QAnon is, it would be completely hypocritical to remove them from elected office while having nothing in place to prevent members of other hateful groups from being elected as senators or Congresspeople.

Democracy means that sometimes bad people get elected. There need to be checks and balances and constitutional protections against the risk that anti democratic forces could take control and use their position to prevent future elections from taking place, but other than that, the will of the people needs to be respected or else the system loses all legitimacy

Good post.

Somewhat amusingly Green accidentally played a big role in costing the GOP the senate, her area which obviously hardcore Trump as she cruised to her congress seat somewhat sat at home when Kemp and Loeffer lost.

Oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hockney wrote: »

These are great thanks, sent the rest to my work email to kill a few hours on night shift, what a fascinating era, I wonder what the next time we see this level of lies and stupidity will look like?

Thargor wrote: »
    These are great thanks, sent the rest to my work email to kill a few hours on night shift, what a fascinating era, I wonder what the next time we see this level of lies and stupidity will look like?

Ted Cruz 2024
    Ivanka Trump 2024
    Marjorie Greene 2024

Take your pick..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Leroy42 wrote: »
    ― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

I prefer this one. Explains most of US politics.
    The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
    "Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
    "I did," said Ford. "It is."
    "So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't people get rid of the lizards?"
    "It honestly doesn't occur to them," said Ford. "They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates to the government they want."
    "You mean they actually vote for the lizards?"
    "Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
    "But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
    "Because if they didn't vote for a lizard," said Ford, "the wrong lizard might get in.

First Past The Post is not a good system. It leads to a two party system where each is full of strange bedfellows that are united against the other.

Meanwhile over here
    the Dail is a elected house, anybody unionist, nationilst, green, who is elected will be allowed to attend. The horse traders of FF and FG will make a deal with whoever will make a deal with them.
    Their will be no loyalty test.
    Trust me Alan FF and FG won't let a wee thing like being a unionist get in the way.
    Those lads would sell their granny s kidneys to get in power.
    The second part is a universal trait. Because we have PR and multi seat constituencies, parties don't have to be coalitions with the sole aim of being the biggest party of the lowest common denominator. Coalitions can be between parties whose gaols match at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I think it was evident by the brazen attitude of the rioters that they believed they were there because Trump wanted them and as he was the "boss" as one called him then they were protected and would not be prosecuted no matter what they did.

Lmao off at the losers going through desks and taking photos of documents they thought would prove that the election was stolen. Even if anything existed (which of course it doesn't) it would hardly be flung into a desk.

It reminded me of a scene from The Goonies as the kids looked for the next cryptic message from One-eyed Willie.

Absolute idiots. You couldn't make it up.

One thing really annoys me about all this. It's the lack of blame being steered towards social media companies for their alogithirms filling these idiots brains full of **** and reinforcing their skewed beliefs.

Make no mistake, the riotors are people who are unable to make objective balanced assessments from what they are consuming online. They are a very targetable cohort.

Facebook/Twitter et Al seem to have got away scot free. I'm hoping the Biden Admin force Facebook to break up once and for all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

listermint wrote: »
    I think we've reached a peak , Manic.
    .you are comparing Q Anon with Sinn Fein.

Il say no more. Nothing really needs to be said

How many people have those associated with Q-Anon blown up?

If your point is that they are not particularly comparable, I agree with you. If the point is that politicians should be considered in light of their connections to 'threat of terror', then there's an obvious comparison. SF haven't always been the sweet, peaceful party they've been the last two decades, yet they were still running in elections and in some cases, winning.

Advertisement