Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey's beliefs of Travellers' ethnicity Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Calhoun wrote: »
    Apparently all the people on here who voted for Peter Casey or had an issue with Travelers are Russian bots.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108560611#post108560611

Wow.

Not sure of the social classification, but there is definately a pattern to that trend, pity Dav couldnt see it, despite is claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Wow.

Not sure of the social classification, but there is definately a pattern to that trend, pity Dav couldnt see it, despite is claims.

That thread is utterly pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,418 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

givyjoe wrote: »
    That thread is utterly pathetic.

It’s step number 1.
    Deflect and disinformation.
    The last thing travelers want is a government that could start cracking down on their
    1. Criminality
    2. Welfare
    3. Free houses
    4. Tax fraud
    5. Children not going to school
    6. High suicide rates of gay travellers
    7. Oppression of women
    8. Animal cruelty

But that’s exactly what’s needed to bring them into the 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,070 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What’s with the 10%, didn’t he get nearly 25% of the vote??

He got 23.6% of 46% of the vote.

Which is approx 10% of the electorate or there are 3.5million registered to vote and he got ove 300,000 of that.

It was the lowest turnout ever for a presidential election. Which doesn't fit the narrative that there was a 'huge' mobiliasation of a 'protest vote'.
    In fact the reality is that on both issues - The President and Travellers - most people are not all that concerned about either.
    From those that did care MDH got the overwhelming endorsement. A record majority apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

He got 23.6% of 46% of the vote.

Which is approx 10% of the electorate or there are 3.5million registered to vote and he got ove 300,000 of that.

It was the lowest turnout ever for a presidential election. Which doesn't fit the narrative that there was a 'huge' mobiliasation of a 'protest vote'.
    In fact the reality is that on both issues - The President and Travellers - most people are not all that concerned about either.
    From those that did care MDH got the overwhelming endorsement. A record majority apparently.

Well you are very concerned it seems. :)

• Advertisement

Edward M wrote: »
    Well you are very concerned it seems. :)

Concerned about any growth in that type of politician - certainly. Well spotted!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,077 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

What’s with the 10%, didn’t he get nearly 25% of the vote??

Francies understanding of proportion is questionable at best.

Common sense would just extrapolate pro rata.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Concerned about any growth in that type of politician - certainly. Well spotted!

But your Gerry Adams and Co wouldn't concern you, or as Brendan said, yer man walking around with the Kingsmill loaf on his head?
    As I said before, and you have admitted above, it's the type of politician that concern many, much more so than the points he made.
    It would be beneficial for some left leaning party's in particular perhaps, to stem any likely growth contrary to their doctrine.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Higgins got his vote out to win the election.
    Apparently, Casey got a protest vote out. That protest amounted to 10% of electorate. If it was a genuine registering of a 'protest' vote then electing a president was incidental.

An awful lot of people decided not to bother registering a protest (Which usually means one thing) nor to vote for a president. Apathy, not bothered enough etc etc

Complete spoofer.
    That 10% nonsense is embarrassing at this stage. Like posting 500 times to say the result is not significant.

Roll on the general election!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

It was a huge vote and belittling it will get us nowhere and lead to even bigger trenches being dug between both communities.

Irish people were never asked for their opinion on the ethnic status, if it had been put to vote I believe 99% of the country, fearing that it would entitle the travellers even more, would have voted NO.

If it was put to the people now most would vote to remove this status. Its quite clear there was no justification for this status, we still havent been told what part of the traveller culture is important to hold onto, most people are only familiar with the negative aspects of this lifestyle as the positive parts seem to be very limited. Attachment to religion while terrorising old people wont cut it and the homophobia and domestic abuse of women is hardly christian either. Language was mentioned but in reality do many travellers speak the language of Cant, the traveller language, has it died out. It a written language or just a spoken one.

If you set up a poll here asking should the status be removed 1% of posters would say NO, this opinion according to Francie wouldnt be relevant at all because 99% of the rest contributing would say remove this status immediately. Can someone set up a poll and lets see what happens.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Francies understanding of proportion is questionable at best.

Common sense would just extrapolate pro rata.

No, I don't think on reflection that you can extrapolate pro rata in this instance.

As you will get vociferously told here this was really 2 elections. One where people voted for president and another where people endorsed/protested about what a candidate said about travellers. A 'protest' vote.

It was the lowest turnout ever to vote for a president and a piss poor turnout for a protest that is supposed to be about 'what everybody knws' and what 90% believe. On that basis, it can't be a huge concern to 'everybody' nor the 90% who believe Casey to be right.

But 10% did respond to Casey, no doubt about that.

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Complete spoofer.
    That 10% nonsense is embarrassing at this stage. Like posting 500 times to say the result is not significant.

No it is significant in the sense that it tallies with my guess at the amount of people who have this prejudice and bias against all travellers. I said before, had Casey plumped to have a pop at immigrants, he'd have got a similar vote share.

That's based on my own observations of the electorate btw.

No, I don't think on reflection that you can extrapolate pro rata in this instance.

As you will get vociferously told here this was really 2 elections. One where people voted for president and another where people endorsed/protested about what a candidate said about travellers. A 'protest' vote.

It was the lowest turnout ever to vote for a president and a piss poor turnout for a protest that is supposed to be about 'what everybody knws' and what 90% believe. On that basis, it can't be a huge concern to 'everybody' nor the 90% who believe Casey to be right.

But 10% did respond to Casey, no doubt about that.

I’m pretty sure if we applied your maths to welfare you wouldn’t be long getting your figures right.

No it is significant in the sense that it tallies with my guess at the amount of people who have this prejudice and bias against all travellers. I said before, had Casey plumped to have a pop at immigrants, he'd have got a similar vote share.

Actually I’d say at least half of the settled population have this predujice against travellers. Why’s that now Francis?

Blazer wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure if we applied your maths to welfare you wouldn’t be long getting your figures right.

Well I noticed a distinct fall off in the outrage and posting to this thread when Casey started on welfare recipients. Which might tell a bit of a story about how far he can go with that one before annoying a portion of his vote base.

Well I noticed a distinct fall off in the outrage and posting to this thread when Casey started on welfare recipients. Which might tell a bit of a story about how far he can go with that one before annoying a portion of his vote base.

No harm in cracking down on them too.

Blazer wrote: »
    Actually I’d say at least half of the settled population have this predujice against travellers. Why’s that now Francis?

Where were they on election day? Not arsed enough or maybe they know, like me that there are issues with some travellers and massive issues with crime and prevention of crime in all areas of society BUT they don't think targetting one community is a reasonable, just or even practical solution? Democrats in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

FrancieBrady is an anagram of Bad Carny Rife

Where were they on election day? Not arsed enough or maybe they know, like me that there are issues with some travellers and massive issues with crime and prevention of crime in all areas of society BUT they don't think targetting one community is a reasonable, just or even practical solution? Democrats in other words.

That is some serious Trump level spin/twist on reality.

• Advertisement

That is some serious Trump level spin/twist on reality.

How is it spin?

If you want it to be about who would make the best president, Casey lost heavily, as the winner romped home outpolling everyone by 3 votes to 1. A record margin.

If this was as claimed as a 'protest' vote, it therefore had nothing to do with electing a president.

10% of the electorate turned out for this protest.

No spin, just a cold clinical look at the figures versus the claims about what this was.

Careful Francie, sounds like you're coming around...

Careful Francie, sounds like you're coming around...

Saying nothing different to what I have been saying since the start Rog.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Horsesh*t.

How is it spin?

If you want it to be about who would make the best president, Casey lost heavily, as the winner romped home outpolling everyone by 3 votes to 1. A record margin.

If this was as claimed as a 'protest' vote, it therefore had nothing to do with electing a president.

No spin, just a cold clinical look at the figures versus the claims about what this was.
    He took a quarter of the vote. Would you like to come back to us and tell us what proportion of the electorate actually voted for Higgins.. 25/30% was it? As i said, complete spin. Laughable stuff.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,077 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

By your very twisted logic francie, 26% of the electorate voted for Michael d, therefore the vast majority of the electorate (74%) DID NOT vote for the winner. Are you happy to stand by that logic??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

He took a quarter of the vote. Would you like to come back to us and tell us what proportion of the electorate actually voted for Higgins.. 25/30% was it? As i said, complete spin. Laughable stuff.

Nah, it's not spin really.

How many people turned around and said one of the following things:

I wasn't going to vote, but Casey "saying it how it is" is getting my vote now.

I was going to vote for X, but now Casey is getting my number 1.

It's disingenuous to suggest that the 23% of the vote he did receive indicates that 23% of the total population support him.

People were fairly apathetic to the election, and those who were motivated by Casey went out and voted for him, anyone who didn't care in the first place, and weren't swayed by his nonsense, continued not to vote.

How is it spin?

Give over Francie, Casey was never going to unseat the incumbent. Unlikely anyone was.
    Casey didnt suffer a defeat. He has come out if it with the most gained.

Because as a resut of an election no one really wanted or gave much of a šhit about, we now have someone mandated to deal with issues that were heresy for too long to even discuss in "polite conversation". Thats the part that hurts the most for the anti-Casey lobby.

Maybe it was a protest vote, but with local and national elections coming up, things got a bit interesting. SF, FG and Mickey Martin should ve worried.

Would Casey have made a good president?
    I dont think so, he's a bit giddy and flakey for me. The most presedential IMO was Gavin Duffy. And look where he polled, not that i gave him anything.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    By your very twisted logic francie, 26% of the electorate voted for Michael d, therefore the vast majority of the electorate (74%) DID NOT vote for the winner. Are you happy to stand by that logic??

Already have. Contrary to belief I don't spin the figures just to make my favourite candidate look better.

MDH won an election overwhelmingly by getting the biggest majority of those who took the time to vote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

Would Casey have made a good president?
    I dont think so, he's a bit giddy and flakey for me. The most presedential IMO was Gavin Duffy. And look where he polled, not that i gave him anything.

No comparison between Duffy and MDH.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement